Final Tape| Knicks vs. Hawks (W, 95-82)

Stay up to date on changes and announcements to NYKFP.

Moderator: Irv

nbafreak724
Likes given: 0

10 straight. It's been a long 20 years since we've had a winning streak like this. This was one of those rare games where there wasn't any doubt in my mind that we were going to win this. Even when the Hawks started making their run in the 3rd, I unusually stayed cool because I knew we'd pull away in the fourth to rack up the 10th straight win. Maybe I felt this way because we were playing the Hawks...or maybe it's just because this Knick team has been playing some damn good ball, that I am finally confident in this team again.

Melo on Fire: The Sequel
A day after torching the Heat for fiddy, Melo picks up right where he left off. And he did it in front of his alma mater Syracuse team, his childhood hero Bernard King, and basically a whole slew of Knick fans. He started off the game 1-4 but then he could not miss. The Hawks chose not to double and he made them pay. Last night, Anthony relied heavily on outside shots. Tonight, he put on another offensive outburst...doing the complete opposite. Melo was hellbent on getting to the rim and sticking with his signature midrange jumper. He took only 2 threes tonight, hitting one of them, and yet he still managed to drop 40 on 17-27 shooting. Going into the fourth quarter, there was a great shot that Melo could have eclipsed 50 for the second straight night but he did not force anything in the 4th quarter and got his teammates involved more, which made his performance even more impressive.

Felton in the Fourth
The Hawks finally decided to start doubling Anthony in the 4th quarter so obviously the Knicks needed some more help. With the Hawks climbing back into the game and tying it, Raymond Felton, who was basically absent/useless throughout the first 3 quarters, came up huge in the fourth quarter once again. With Melo being the focal point of the Hawks defense, Ray Ray had huge layups on three consecutive drives to the hoop to give the Knicks a cushion and we basically never looked back after that. It was starting to look like a tight game before Felton took matters into his own hands and punished Jeff Teague and the Hawks D by blazing through the lane.

Martin looked good again
He sat out for most of the fourth quarter due to back spasms or some shit but we didnt need him at that point. But he played some great minutes for us in the first 3 quarters. His offense is still a bit horrifying but with Tyson still apparently ailing, K-Mart once again did all the dirty work, grabbing rebounds and playing great defense. Once again, gotta commend Grunwald, this was an excellent pickup for us.

In the A
I love when we play in Atlanta. Other than Brooklyn and Philly, Atlanta is probably the place where we get the most Knick fans in attendance. By the fourth quarter, this was basically a home game. Knick fans were overwhelmingly drowning out the Hawks fans and Melo was getting MVP chants any time he touched the ball. It was great.

Kyle Korver/Shump's Defense
Only real negative I could think of from this game. If it wasnt for Korver, this game would've been a bigger blowout. The guy couldn't miss from the field but that was mainly the Knicks fault. For some reason, he was CONSTANTLY left open and it seemed most of the time it was Shump's fault. The ball would swing around and Shumpert just stood there looking while Korver drained shot after shot. And he did this over and over again.

Just a couple weeks ago on that west coast road trip, this team looked terrible. But now, we can breathe easier as this 10 game winning streak has us believing again. We're in the playoffs, everyone seems to be healthy, and we're getting closer and closer to winning the Atlantic Division for the first time since 1742. It's good to be a Knick fan right about now.

In the past week, we've played (and defeated) the Celtics and the Hawks, two potential first round playoff matchups. On Friday, we'll see another one as the Bucks roll into town. This could easily be a trap game at home against a dangerous team or if we continue to play like we've been doing, this can be an easy 11th straight. The 1973 Knick legends will be honored that night so let's hope that drives us to another victory.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
Minkaveli
Likes given: 172

Good recap!

Concern: Tyson Chandler. Has looked very rusty and isn't finishing at the rim and was grabbing his clavicle.

Positives: Knicks will raise a banner in MSG for winning the Atlantic Division!
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Koopa Troopa

the mvp chants for melo were nice too. way to completely demoralize the hawks especially if NY plays them in the playoffs.......
H20Knick
Likes given: 3

:clap:
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
Naan

Nice recap. All home games for the Knicks if they wind up playing Atlanta in the playoffs, plus that awesome organ player can be heard more often. Regarding this game, Shumpert's defense on Kutcher was lackluster, but Ashton has been punking us for years now so it's nothing new. Kidd could not stay in front of anyone tonight and there was no help defense either. After Chandler's comments about barely being able to look up because of chest pain stemming from the neck issues, I'm not sure if he should be playing. Besides some dumb fouls he didn't hurt the team much. Luckily the Hawks committed a bunch of turnovers as well.

Kenyon's tenure as a Knick has been great so far, but with news about him playing hurt, don't be surprised if he suffers a more severe injury in the future. The Knicks are kind of out of options right now and may run him into the ground, like Baron Davis. Both of those guys are tough and you can tell by their comments.
Martin says the knee has been bothering him for a few days but he didn't want to complain about it.
Maybe he should complain about it and stop pretending he's Superman or a doctor. One random note about Martin - anyone know why he's having trouble catching the ball? Seems like he's lost the possession a lot recently because he can't handle the entry pass.

Shout out to Felton for recognizing the open lane to the basket. Shout out to Melo for doing what he does best. Shout out to the basketball gods for allowing J.R.'s circus shots to drop.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2607

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Felton looked his best and thats what it will take to win in May.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Mr. Glass
Likes given: 62

Nice recapicus!

I agree with Minkaveli that Chandler's play concerns me. We will need him if we see Chicago or Boston.
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
MrMajik2

Koopa Troopa wrote:the mvp chants for melo were nice too. way to completely demoralize the hawks especially if NY plays them in the playoffs.......
That was the icing on the cake. It almost felt like a home game yesterday, and that can't sit well with the Hawks.
"Today, we celebrate not just another win vs a rival, but the end of their sadistic rule over our hopes and dreams. There is nothing left to fear. The New York Knicks are just better." - H20Knicks
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

Koopa Troopa wrote:the mvp chants for melo were nice too. way to completely demoralize the hawks especially if NY plays them in the playoffs.......
Remember when Kobe got those chants @ MSG a couple of years back? Disgusting. I know how true Atlanta Hawk fans feel.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

great recap! :thumbsup:

yeah, i was really upset at shump for leaving korver open again and again. it's a recurring problem where we let a guy who can only shoot the ball just destroy us from the arc. alan anderson, carlos delfino, mike dunleavy, etc. haven't knick defenders gotten the memo? stay with the guy that can shoot 40% from the arc and stay with him.
spree#8
Likes given: 534

The Hawks should be moved to Seattle ASAP, while the Kings stay in Sacramento. It must be so depressing to be a Hawk with that "fanbase".
#knickstape