Best special effects ever

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Was having a discussion about special effects today and wanted to ask the board what movies in thier life blew them away at whatever time they saw it, for the year it was made.

So I shared how back in 96 I was hanging out with a friend watching 2001Space Oddessy when I told him how awesome it looked for a movie made in the 80s. At which point he laughed and told me it was made in 68.

What's yours.
dcapodic
Likes given: 0

nazrmohamed wrote:Was having a discussion about special effects today and wanted to ask the board what movies in thier life blew them away at whatever time they saw it, for the year it was made.

So I shared how back in 96 I was hanging out with a friend watching 2001Space Oddessy when I told him how awesome it looked for a movie made in the 80s. At which point he laughed and told me it was made in 68.

What's yours.
Been thinking about this one since you posted this. I am not sure i remember one thing that especially blew my mind but i do remember the movies/shows that really got me into SciFi.

Have you ever seen, Forbidden Planet (1956)? It is kinda a classic SciFi movie and it introduced Robbie the Robot from whom so many more "robot" companions were modeled after. I remember it creeped me out because it has an unseen adversary. For the time, the special effects are pretty impressive.

I tended to be more impressed by the kinds special effects that showed the world in different times or what things might be like in the future but not necessarily high tech stuff. Shows like Buck Rogers, Star Trek (the original series), the Twilight Zone, etc. were really good at that. I also remember being VERY creeped out by the original Exorcist, a different kinda special effects there but really good.
- Me being the resident optimist around this cesspool of doom and gloom, StevoStarks, circa 2019
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

I'm not sure there are better special effects out there than what Rob Bottin did in John Carpenter's The Thing. Pound for pound, era vs technology, he brought something to the screen I had never seen before. If you haven't seen that movie, definitely go back and watch it. Absolutely unreal.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222