Aliens exist on the Moon

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Nononsense
Likes given: 0

shakespeare wrote:Non - I finally got the chance to watch Kubrick's film. I liked it. The entire time I kept saying to myself I can't believe this movie was made in the late 60s. That's amazing, and ground-breaking stuff. It had to cost a fortune to make that type of movie in that age of technology. It took me a minute (lack of dialogue confused me) to recognize the film was about mankind being birthed into a new existence. Even the concept of the super computer at the time was unique. This film definitely captured my imagination, so imagine what it did to viewers back in the 60s and 70s.

Oh yeah, thanks again Dolan for the site. There are a gang of other movies I've planned to watch.
Glad to hear you liked it Shakes. I'm always a bit leery of recommending it to people. The film is NOT for everyone. Particularly, it's not for today's casual movie fan who has to have everything spelled out for them via dialogue. Honestly, the first time I ever watched it, I fell asleep. I woke up during the third act of the film. I recognized the brilliance of it and watched it again all the way through the next week. The rest is history! Seriously, I've watched it at least 10 times, and I see something new every time I watch it again. So, in your own time, watch it again. Do some research on YouTube on the analysis of the film. Truly amazing stuff when you start to analyze it. For me, Kubrick actually reconciles science and religion in this film.
shakespeare

I'm about to watch again in a few from the science and religion perspective you mentioned. Now that I think about it, there are one or two scenes where I see what you're saying.

The only Kubrick film I've watched before this one is "Full Metal Jacket" and I do recognize a brilliant difference in the cinematography of both. The first time I saw this movie in middle school I thought it was pure comedy. It helped me to not take the mental abuse of bootcamp as personal.
#TeamTank
Mr. Glass
Likes given: 63

shakespeare wrote:It helped me to not take the mental abuse of bootcamp as personal.
Now I have to watch it over again. You a former military guy Shakes? What branch?
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
shakespeare

Army. 8 years. I did basic at Fort Knox, Kentucky and then Fort Sam Houston, TX. Pretty much stationed all over the states.

What branch for yourself? To the day I still love films like Full Metal and Soldier's Story and Biloxi Blues and Stripes (much of which was filmed in Fort Knox if you recall this movie) and then A Few Good Men, Platoon, The General's Daughter, Rules of Engagement, Crimson Tide, Glory and the grand-daddy of them all, imo, Apocalypse Now.
#TeamTank
Mr. Glass

Army too, 9 years. Basic at Fort Jackson, been working at Fort Sam for years!

- Unknown
shakespeare

I loved Fort Sam Houston. That co-ed base gave me some of my best memories in life. And much-needed after basic training.
#TeamTank
Mr. Glass

shakespeare wrote:I loved Fort Sam Houston. That co-ed base gave me some of my best memories in life. And much-needed after basic training.
I've heard. Of course, now it is JBSA (Joint Base San Antonio). Got Air Force and Navy here too. More "memories" for the future! LOL!

- Unknown
DolanCurse2001

Reporters at NBC have been told not to discuss a strange formation of flashing lights spotted over the night skies of San Diego last week.

The flashing array of stationary red, green and blue lights was filmed on April 28 by an NBC7 crew who were working on an unrelated story.

"Some who saw them say the lights didn't seem to move, like those on a plane or a drone," NBC 7 San Diego reported.

Situated on the US-Mexico border, San Diego is home to several large military bases including the largest naval base on the west coast.

"We put in calls to the military here to see if they could identify what these were. So far, no response," NBC reporters said.

Read more at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/05/0 ... 4mLd5FO.99
Can these little greys hurry up and abduct tao, mikeaman and SouthFl already?!?!
Nononsense

shakespeare wrote:Army. 8 years. I did basic at Fort Knox, Kentucky and then Fort Sam Houston, TX. Pretty much stationed all over the states.

What branch for yourself? To the day I still love films like Full Metal and Soldier's Story and Biloxi Blues and Stripes (much of which was filmed in Fort Knox if you recall this movie) and then A Few Good Men, Platoon, The General's Daughter, Rules of Engagement, Crimson Tide, Glory and the grand-daddy of them all, imo, Apocalypse Now.
Mr. Glass wrote:Army too, 9 years. Basic at Fort Jackson, been working at Fort Sam for years!
Navy, 6 years here. Basic training at Great Lakes. Sonar school for nearly a year and half at Fleet ASW in San Diego (some of the best times of my life... memories and friends I'll never forget). A plankowner on the USS McFaul. Did most of my time in Norfolk.
shakespeare

Mr. Glass wrote:
I've heard. Of course, now it is JBSA (Joint Base San Antonio). Got Air Force and Navy here too. More "memories" for the future! LOL!
I had no idea Air Force and Navy were now part of Fort Sam. That's awesome. Like you said, more memories for the future. :thumbsup:
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Nononsense wrote:
Navy, 6 years here. Basic training at Great Lakes. Sonar school for nearly a year and half at Fleet ASW in San Diego (some of the best times of my life... memories and friends I'll never forget). A plankowner on the USS McFaul. Did most of my time in Norfolk.
I had a relative who joined Navy in the early 90s and I remember receiving a letter in the mail from him out of San Diego. We never really discussed in detail, but I remember him saying something to the effect of San Diego being everything. I feel you where you spoke of unforgettable memories and friends. I feel the same way. I tell everyone that they should join the military and experience the camaraderie (and basic training) at least once in their lifetime. Memories for life. Interestingly enough, my oldest daughter is currently in the Navy reserves. Once she grads nursing school, she plans to go full-time and work as a nurse.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

nazrmohamed wrote:Dolan my dude. Great site.
AGREED. Very appreciative Dolan. Thanks.

I watched The Equalizer on Friday at work and currently watching Mad Max this morning.

Mad Max is still in theaters. Lol.
#TeamTank