Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Is it just me?

Yes
7
54%
No
4
31%
This is not the place to discuss such a sensitive matter
2
15%
 
Total votes : 13

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby Mr. Glass » April 9, 2015, 2:40 pm

BXGuy wrote:I'm against police murdering citizens, Michael Slager is a pussified penishead. But why the duck you running from the police? I'm really tired of guys risking their life against the cops. How can we give them remorse anymore if they're risking their lives doing mindless acts? Police are crazy...why even trigger them? Especially in South Carolina....where dudes join the police so they murder some minorities. I'm tired of seeing minorities die in the hands of the police....stop risking your life. Nothing will change, police will still be here enforcing whatever bs they got to enforce...just abide, survive and live the rest of your life. This system isn't going to be broken down in our lifetime to save us from this tyranny.

If you watch that video you see the 50 year old reach for something at the cop and turns his back away from him.

The fact is the cop should of been trained enough to handle that situation without a gun and without murdering him. He didn't even attempt to chase him. Just shot him in his back over 10 times.

I grew up in the hood, been arrested 5+ times and I learned the law the hard way...my best friend is an officer in Florida so I see this story from both sides.

At the end of the day, someone's son....father...brother...cousin...friend has died. This deeply affects people, society. The cop still lives to tell his story. Another loss for us.


BXG, it could be a purely chemical reaction. The "Fight or Flight" response that Walter Cannon first theorized, names several chemicals that peak when placed in a stressful situation. Testosterone, estrogen, and serotonin to name a few.

It could also be a conditioned response. Growing up in Queens I saw a lot of police interaction. Needless to say, it was almost never good, and I'd probably try to dash too.

Or it could be both. Nevertheless, :cry:
"Mother said render you unconscious. I'm going to render you unconscious." LL Cool J
User avatar
Mr. Glass
 
Joined: June 29, 2007, 1:59 pm
Location: Down by the beach

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby qdman » April 12, 2015, 1:58 am

Got another one...kicked 17 times, punched 37 times and hit with a baton four times, while lying prostrate on the ground with hands behind his back. He was not under arrest, he was being served with a warrant for identity theft. Guy tried to run away on a horse somehow, and he was chased down by this helicopter, and then he gave up and laid down,put his hands behind his back. The cops tased him, kicked him in the face, pistol whipped him with the taser, etc. Fortunately they left him breathing.

What if every time the police lose a judgement to a family that's been abused in some way by the police, the money is taken out of the police retirement fund and can't be put back with taxes?
User avatar
qdman
 
Joined: September 14, 2007, 11:55 am

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby bigloley » April 12, 2015, 5:23 pm

2018 Finals
Knicks vs. Warriors
User avatar
bigloley
 
Joined: January 12, 2005, 6:15 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby qdman » April 12, 2015, 7:56 pm

see cameras don't do shit. :thumbsdown:
User avatar
qdman
 
Joined: September 14, 2007, 11:55 am

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » April 14, 2015, 1:20 am

Accidentally shot while trying to flee police. I don't think the 73 year old officer intended to shoot the suspect/victim who died within the hour. Looks to be an accidental shooting as the officer believed he had Taser instead of gun. Scary, nonetheless.

One thing's for sure: the other police showed no mercy. Click link to watch video. http://gawker.com/fuck-your-breath-vide ... 1697315874
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 1:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby BXGuy » April 16, 2015, 4:37 am

washingtonparkjones wrote:I'm sold at this point. Cops have lost their trust us privileges.


You should of been sold 50 years ago.
The artist formally known as prguy.
User avatar
BXGuy
 
Joined: November 29, 2012, 11:54 pm
Location: Fajardo, PR

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby washingtonparkjones » April 21, 2015, 2:08 pm

BXGuy wrote:You should of been sold 50 years ago.

What can I say, my pre-fetus sense of race issues was sadly unformed.
User avatar
washingtonparkjones
 
Joined: November 10, 2003, 12:40 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » July 17, 2015, 11:46 am

Gov. Andrew Cuomo just created another watchdog for the police, naming New York’s zealous attorney general, Eric Schneiderman, a special prosecutor to oversee an investigation whenever an unarmed civilian is killed by cops.

Nor does it help that the city just agreed to pay Garner’s family $5.9 million to settle a case stemming from his death.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/16/the-lost-y ... ers-death/


Still no indictment, though.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 1:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » July 18, 2015, 6:37 am

shakespeare wrote:
Still no indictment, though.


Wow, a year goes quickly these days, must be getting older :(

No question: Eric Garner’s death was tragic. But it might’ve spurred positive change if de Blasio had stood by the cops, defended their right to enforce the law, emphasized that resisting arrest is illegal and dangerous and made clear that unfounded charges of racism were out of line.

Instead, he did the opposite — demoralizing cops, emboldening law-breakers and helping create months of tension. The price New Yorkers pay remains to be seen, but this much is already certain: So far, at least, nothing good at all has come from this tragic affair.


I am not a big follower of the Post, the paper that tends to print things the way they wished it happened to make it a better story but these paragraphs are pretty accurate.

I think people forget what/who turned the city around and de Blasio is about as opposite to Guliani as you can get. Not sure what it is about him but can he find any other ways to get people on both sides any more riled up than he has? it's like no one likes him from either side of the camps. I am not sur what he actually stands for other than saying/doing whatever the 'movement of the day" happens to be.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 10:38 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » July 20, 2015, 12:15 am

dcapodic wrote:I think people forget what/who turned the city around and de Blasio is about as opposite to Guliani as you can get...

Not tryna take this off topic but the what = the end of the crack epidemic which resulted in a drop in the crime rate not only in NYC but nationwide... And the who = Mayor Dinkins (not that I'm a fan of his either), who happened to be in office when the crime rate started to decline. He also pushed for a tax proposal which allowed him to finance the hiring of 6,000 new police officers in the city. And with the additional cops patrolling the streets had to be a deterrence.

But I do credit Giuliani with the increase in police brutality, Amadou Diallo, Abner Louima, etc... His idea of cleaning up NYC was to target disenfranchised Black and Brown people, while making the city safer for everyone else.

My point is I think Giuliani unjustly receives a lot of praise and credit (mostly from simply doing his job following 9/11) for turning the city around when all he did is reap the benefits for things that had already been set in motion before he had even gotten into office... George W Bush started the shyt show but it's Obama that gets blamed for it (not that I'm an Obama apologist either but facts is facts). Dinkins starts to turn around the city but it's Giuliani who gets all the credit.

Personally, I think Giuliani is a racist conservative prick who cheats on his wife but that's just my opinion. :?
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL
 
Joined: July 12, 2010, 3:22 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby n8 the gr8 » July 21, 2015, 1:43 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:Not tryna take this off topic but the what = the end of the crack epidemic which resulted in a drop in the crime rate not only in NYC but nationwide... And the who = Mayor Dinkins (not that I'm a fan of his either), who happened to be in office when the crime rate started to decline. He also pushed for a tax proposal which allowed him to finance the hiring of 6,000 new police officers in the city. And with the additional cops patrolling the streets had to be a deterrence.

But I do credit Giuliani with the increase in police brutality, Amadou Diallo, Abner Louima, etc... His idea of cleaning up NYC was to target disenfranchised Black and Brown people, while making the city safer for everyone else.

My point is I think Giuliani unjustly receives a lot of praise and credit (mostly from simply doing his job following 9/11) for turning the city around when all he did is reap the benefits for things that had already been set in motion before he had even gotten into office... George W Bush started the shyt show but it's Obama that gets blamed for it (not that I'm an Obama apologist either but facts is facts). Dinkins starts to turn around the city but it's Giuliani who gets all the credit.

Personally, I think Giuliani is a racist conservative prick who cheats on his wife but that's just my opinion. :?

I think what caused the drop in crime is contended. I just read Freakonomics and there's a long bit correlating the drop in crime rate in the 90s to legalizing abortion 18 years earlier. Sort of beside the point, but to your point it's bigger than what the people in office do in their relatively short terms.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
User avatar
n8 the gr8
 
Joined: August 28, 2006, 6:54 pm
Location: CT/VT

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » July 21, 2015, 4:07 pm

Is this the book you referenced? http://www.amazon.com/Freakonomics-Econ ... 0060731338

I found your comment regarding legalized abortion/decreased crime rates to be intriguing. So of course I'm now interested in reading the book. I returned to school a few years ago to learn Criminal Justice, and although I probably not do anything with the degree, it had always been an interest of mine.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 1:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » July 21, 2015, 4:22 pm

dcapodic wrote: these paragraphs are pretty accurate.


I actually saluted the stance de Blasio took against the NYPD cops who murdered Eric Garner. And I believe his "Progressive Agenda" plan held merit, although President Obama and Democrats alike felt like he basically jacked their initiatives. While he probably could've done more to prevent alienating cops on a whole, as you too believe, his actions post-Eric Garner were no different than Guiliani's "go for the gold" animations after 9/11 in my humble opinion.

That said, the television show "The Wire" has made it nearly impossible for me to trust politicians.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 1:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » July 21, 2015, 9:02 pm

n8 the gr8 wrote:I think what caused the drop in crime is contended. I just read Freakonomics and there's a long bit correlating the drop in crime rate in the 90s to legalizing abortion 18 years earlier. Sort of beside the point, but to your point it's bigger than what the people in office do in their relatively short terms.

Several factors led to the crime drop, and the two examples I listed would have to be included. I dunno about the Freakonomics BS, tho...

As popular as the book is/was it's been debunked by countless authors so I don't give it much validity.

The Wire, changing lives. :LOL:
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL
 
Joined: July 12, 2010, 3:22 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » July 22, 2015, 2:06 pm

Sandra Bland's traffic stop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBh3wzXd3vg

This is the "trick bag" I often warn my oldest daughter to avoid.

Bland was placed in a trick bag. She didn't have to put out her cigarette and 9 times out of 10 the cop knew she was already irritated enough to refuse his request. So then comes the "step out of the car" command which sets everything in motion.

Never mind the fact that he stopped the driver for failure to signal lane change AFTER he approached her from behind at a relatively high rate of speed. Legally, he's well within his right but it's SILLY.

Anyway, the woman was found hanging in her jail cell and her death is being investigating as a murder. See how easily one thing leads to another?
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 1:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby washingtonparkjones » July 22, 2015, 6:32 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:Several factors led to the crime drop, and the two examples I listed would have to be included. I dunno about the Freakonomics BS, tho...

As popular as the book is/was it's been debunked by countless authors so I don't give it much validity.:


Its been contested but debunked is simply not true. Levitt wasn't the first person to theorize that legalized abortion would lower crime. There are experts of high repute on both sides of the argument.

I find it difficult to understand why you would be dismissive of the very logical theory that children born to parents who intended to have a child and were prepared for them are more likely to succeed on average than kids of unplanned pregnancies. Seems pretty likely to me. I certainly know that I would not have been as good a parent if it was thrust on me unplanned at an earlier age with less financial resources. My kids are way better off because I waited until I was thirty and finishing law school.
User avatar
washingtonparkjones
 
Joined: November 10, 2003, 12:40 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » July 22, 2015, 11:42 pm

^^^
Personally, I'm not with the whole eugenicist logic argument. Too marginalizing, it all seems a bit classist/racist to me...

Like I said there were several factors that led to crime reduction: the end of the crack epidemic, policy changes within law enforcement/punishments, a growing economy, and then the baby boomers (largest population in the country at the time) gettin' flabby-n-sick, or too old to still be involved in criminal activity.

I'm no expert but all these things seem a lot more logical when tryna explain the drop in crime than the eugenics crap. :?
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL
 
Joined: July 12, 2010, 3:22 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby washingtonparkjones » July 23, 2015, 10:20 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:Personally, I'm not with the whole eugenicist logic argument. Too marginalizing, it all seems a bit classist/racist to me...

Thats just a knee jerk emotional reaction to the idea that someone out their is motivated by the idea of less brown babies. You could just as easily reverse it and see anti-choice crowd as keeping minorities pregnant and poor.

This is race neutral and really promotes the best interest of the poor. Unwanted unplanned pregnancies kill dreams. Nothing will hold you back more than having a kid at 18.

Like I said there were several factors that led to crime reduction: the end of the crack epidemic, policy changes within law enforcement/punishments, a growing economy, and then the baby boomers (largest population in the country at the time) gettin' flabby-n-sick, or too old to still be involved in criminal activity.

Sure, and Levitt discussed and tried to measure the discrete effect of all of them. You were thinking that a PhD Harvard Educated University of Chicago Business School Economics professor overlooked the obvious? Of course not. How do you identify discrete effects? That's what the real argument is about among the experts.

I'm no expert but all these things seem a lot more logical when tryna explain the drop in crime than the eugenics crap. :?

Its nothing even remotely like eugenics, which is selective breeding. Abortion is available to everyone. There's no selection mechanism other than personal choice. The theory is that children of all genetic backgrounds benefit from parents who planned to have them. Nothing is even implied about the race of the parents.

Now forcing poor women to carry pregnancies to term (because lets face it, rich ones can travel and get it where its not banned) - that sounds a lot more like eugenics. Breeding up that good worker population so supply of workers always exceeds demand and keeps the price down.

You're too old now to still be doing this reactive crap.. Think it through.
User avatar
washingtonparkjones
 
Joined: November 10, 2003, 12:40 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » July 24, 2015, 6:37 am

^^^
Race neutral??? Yeah, because racism doesn't exist in post-racial Amurikkka...

In response to your comment the selection mechanism is structural/institutionalized racism, and if you were to try to acknowledge the effects of its socioeconomic impact on the Black community, based on your own argument regarding unwanted unplanned pregnancies, you'd see that there isn't much of a personal choice and why statistically Black women account for the highest percentages of abortions in the country. But then again, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that there is a planned-parenthood (founded by Margaret Sanger a known eugenicist) in almost every Black/Brown neighborhood across the US...

It's like this, in 2015 eugenics is a hard sell because its sooo 20th century but with today's standards legalized abortion is a lot more subtle, its practical and acceptable. Although, at the roots they're essentially the exact same thing.

washingtonparkjones wrote:... You're too old now to still be doing this reactive crap.. Think it through.

Word? --- How do you feel about the Nazi's? Get off ya high horse.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL
 
Joined: July 12, 2010, 3:22 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby washingtonparkjones » July 24, 2015, 4:18 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:^^^
Race neutral??? Yeah, because racism doesn't exist in post-racial Amurikkka...

In response to your comment the selection mechanism is structural/institutionalized racism, and if you were to try to acknowledge the effects of its socioeconomic impact on the Black community, based on your own argument regarding unwanted unplanned pregnancies, you'd see that there isn't much of a personal choice and why statistically Black women account for the highest percentages of abortions in the country. But then again, I'm sure it's just a coincidence that there is a planned-parenthood (founded by Margaret Sanger a known eugenicist) in almost every Black/Brown neighborhood across the US...

It's like this, in 2015 eugenics is a hard sell because its sooo 20th century but with today's standards legalized abortion is a lot more subtle, its practical and acceptable. Although, at the roots they're essentially the exact same thing.

Word? --- How do you feel about the Nazi's? Get off ya high horse.


Yeah, I don't recognize structural racism? Who the fuck are you even talking to? I'm one of the most liberal guys in here, always said that racism routinely goes unacknowledged, pro affirmative action, acknowledge structural racism all the time, mentored by two prominent black attorneys and .... shit I could go on forever. The only one acting racist here is your whitey hating ass looking for conspiracies. Hell, there's a good number of people in here who thought for years that I am black because Washington Parker Jones sounds like a black name.

Planned parenthood's founder?!? It was one of the key sponsors of Obama that won him two elections by rallying the base. They're so against black people they made one president. Totally makes sense. As it so happens, my aunt is president of the board of directors of planned parenthood national. The idea that she is motivated by race if totally laughable. You've never met a more bleeding heart liberal in your life. Massive supporter of funding to inner city and poor areas, particularly for education. Growing up in a semi redneck town where no one would have blinked an eye at racist comments thirty years ago, my aunt was the one in peoples faces telling them to STFU.

So what is your point here anyway? Is your solution is to take the choice away from black women? Yeah, that makes sense. Uplift the race by treating women like they are incapable of making their own decisions. Nice.

Is it that black people should all be rich enough to afford as many unwanted pregnancies as come along? If your point is that the poor need to abort more children because of economic concerns, I think you just made my point that this is not racial and facilitates people getting out of poverty.

Or, maybe we should just pretend the positive effects don't exist because someone might exploit it in the wrong way? I would think that if the cause and effect is abortion = less crime, then people most impacted by crime (minorities) would want abortion clinics well funded.

Eugenics is selectively breeding. Abortion is not breeding. Thus, this issue, by definition, is not eugenics. Nor was the holocaust if you want me to talk about in the context of my own, though eugenics was a counterpoint. If your viewing this as some form of eugenics by culling - you don't seriously think that abortion is going to cause us to run out of brown people do you, or even reduce the #s? Abortion doesn't prevent people from having kids. It just let's them choose when to have them. Regardless if you are comparing abortion to gas chambers, I'm done here. That's too offensive to even continue the conversation.

Maybe your point is that their should be lots of brown babies so that they become the majority. Guess what? Already happening with abortion legal. Does that concern me? Hell no. Whites as a minority doesn't bug me one bit. I don't even particularly like the fact that I'm labeled as white when the promoters of "white" eugenics tried to exterminate my people.
User avatar
washingtonparkjones
 
Joined: November 10, 2003, 12:40 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests