Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Is it just me?

Yes
7
54%
No
4
31%
This is not the place to discuss such a sensitive matter
2
15%
 
Total votes : 13

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » May 29, 2016, 8:23 am

http://www.allenbwest.com/allen/i-hope-what-just-happened-to-louisiana-police-spreads-like-wildfire

You see, only the progressive socialist left gets to determine what group needs protection. So this is what I want my brothers and sisters in law enforcement to understand. The liberal left in America does not deem you worthy to be protected. They believe your commitment and honorable service to protect us does not allow you to be protected from specific attacks because of your chosen profession. These socialist leftists see you as their necessary agitators for Black Lives Matters. These are the same leftists who don’t believe a young black mother like Bianca Horton, gunned down by gang members, deserves protection. Sadly, our law enforcement officers and black mothers like Bianca Horton or children, like her daughter who was shot and paralyzed, don’t fit the “identity” ideological agenda of the progressive socialist leftists, and so they don’t deserve protection.


h wait...It's only Alan West and we know how THAT guy thinks so we can just write this off as some "prejudice" article as usual.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby H20Knick » July 7, 2016, 12:39 pm

rough 2 days
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
User avatar
H20Knick
 
Joined: August 11, 2004, 11:42 pm
Location: nova/dc metro

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby Brooklyn » July 8, 2016, 3:43 am

As an American, I am angry - I love this country but it obviously has a disease that it cannot cure.

As a human being, I am deeply hurt.

Social media is as much of a problem as the mainstream media.

My Facebook feed is littered with hundreds of angry comments showing one of the ugliest videos I have ever seen where a man pinned to the ground by the law is the killed by the law.

Dozens of other posts show a living Alton Sterling next to two children pointing guns in a photograph with a long list of arrests for burglary and battery.

I DON'T know that these are real. I DON'T trust that these are real. I am not saying they're not, I'm just saying that they ALREADY exist and they're spreading like wildfire which means that someone had the motivation to go out there and create a list of Alton's supposed priors and made a poster of it with his image. If so, this person had already made up their mind and went out of their way looking for something to justify their position and not for the truth. If not true then they created a fake list of priors to prove their predisposed position. NO ONE IS INTERESTED IN THE TRUTH.

People, some of them intelligent people I know personally, are posting this without ever bothering to check if its true. Some say he's a bad guy and had it coming, some look at the video and decided through the sheer and utter lack of humanity in it that the cops are murderers (it certainly looks that way).

No one is interested in facts, so I'll ask YOU my fellow posters, people who I consider comrades through a shared interest/desire (Knicks) - HOW DO WE AS A SOCIETY FIX THIS? In real tangible ways, not in fantasy land... it is obvious that something is wrong.

People on the right blame everything on Obama, people on the left blame everything on the 1% or the privileged few. Let's stop all of that, because it is OBVIOUS that facts are both hard to come by and obviously open to interpretation and distortion from whichever bias/blind spot one holds. So let's talk about how to keep people from dying instead of pinning one side versus the other.

This should be the conversation and we are not asking the right fucking questions.....HOW DO WE KEEP PEOPLE FROM GETTING KILLED?
"I own a house..."
User avatar
Brooklyn
 
Joined: February 27, 2004, 10:19 pm
Location: brooklyn

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » July 11, 2016, 4:03 pm

I don't post this link with any commentary as to what these numbers mean, just as an example of perhaps where the conversations should begin about what problems there actually are. For sure, you cannot solve a problem until you define what is is. Memes, "word of mouth", social media....I get it, most people don't have the time and probably not the want/spirit to really care to look into what reality actually is. It is much easier to just find a meme, buddy up with a "think alike" partner, etc. and join the herd mentality.

It's time for many, particularly leaders of the country to stop being afraid to speak about what the REAL problems are. Not emotion, not rhetoric to please voters....facts. Yes, not all statistics lead to answers about what a problem is, particularly when they are taken out of context. But in today's media driven, frenzied world we live in you would think that these simple stats mentioned here would be dramatically worse. I remember a discussion on this board where people were throwing out all kinds of crazy opinions about the numbers of people gunned down by their race and how that portrayed itself into the media.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/07/11/arent-more-white-people-than-black-people-killed-by-police-yes-but-no/

For curiosity sake, I will also post this link:

http://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/5-Latinos-Killed-by-US-Cops-This-Weekand-Media-Ignored-It-20160708-0024.html

It is not politically correct to say all lives matter I know. But, I don't forget about any race, not just the ones I belong to or the ones that have the best publicist.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » July 15, 2016, 2:37 am

I spoke with Ventura about the book and about his thoughts, which were ample, on the state of politics, policing, and technology.

ESQ: We'll get to the book in a minute, but I'd like to hear your thoughts about these past few weeks in the news. What the hell is going on in this country?

Ventura: Well, in my opinion, you've got to go to the source of what's caused the militarization of our police department, to where they seem to be now operating under a premise of "shoot first and ask questions later." I think the root problem, ultimately—of course racism plays a role—but throwing racism aside, it's the war on drugs. It's caused the militarization of our police forces, the violation of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, where you see doors getting knocked down without warrants, people getting shot inside. If we would legalize drugs, decriminalize, like Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate, wants to do, all of this in time would go away, and you would see a new relationship between police and people. They don't raid houses in Beverly Hills, unless you're Tommy Chong. They don't raid affluent neighborhoods. It's always in the lower income—ghetto, if you want to call it that. And all this hostility comes from the war on drugs.

That makes a lot of sense to me. It inspires this tension you see between police and minority communities.

This latest one in Minnesota, they pulled a guy over for a taillight out. And because they were black, they thought, Oh there's gotta be some drug involved here. I can see the thought process going through the cop's head… The other thing I'm interested is: Where's the NRA on this deal? Because this guy was a concealed carry.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/ne ... interview/


There's a lot of truth to what Jesse Ventura is saying.

At the same time, I see no end in sight.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 2:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » July 15, 2016, 7:45 am

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/california-police-video-shows-fatal-shooting-19-year-40563706

In partial agreement shakes, it also has just become big business. The media is flourishing with plenty of fodder to banter about. Everyone has an opinion and these days, everyone has a place to express it. This, despite the fact that all you really hear is the same couple of lines repeated over and over and over....etc. It it like, there becomes a talking point, a PC line of "logic" and everyone just runs with it. It has just REALLY hit me lately that simple, basic logic is out the window. Common sense, what is that?!?

From the article above, I picked a reply out of the comment section. I think it says it best. You want to throw your arms up and give the PC response to it, "typical racist response or person that just doesn't get it". Is he wrong, or is he just making the mistake of not being PC but being honest and maybe hitting the nail on the head as to how this would be portrayed. Why so much divisiveness? Common sense. The media can't put a shield over everything and some people can see things very clearly.

Well, thank God he was white or we would have had more riots in the streets. See if he was black they asked, why he was pulled over for a smoking truck? Why the officer pulled his gun before the stop he was just trying to pull safely off the road? They would be saying this video just goes to prove he wanted to kill a black man. Why after he was down with two bullets did the cop not run over a bounce on him it was obvious the guy was to weak to do anything else? It was obvious he did not have anything. Why did they not use a Taser instead?

I want to know why the article does not say Unarmed White Teenager shot by police? Where is the picture of when he was 14 years old looking innocent and sweet? Where the family and friends quotes on what an angel he was and how he had plans for College? Will the president be speaking about police excessive force another man of color was gunned down by police? Will he give a speech about if he had a son?

The media bias and race baiting is just sickening!
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby washingtonparkjones » July 28, 2016, 7:13 pm

Several of my HS classmates are police and I see a lot of post on FB from them. I saw a lot o variants of this
Image
It made me sad because it seems the police have lost all perspective.

The "blue line" was not a term of police pride. Its was term invented and used to describe police loyalty to police and silence about misdeed. The fact that police have made a point of concern into a point of pride is emblematic of the problem.

Power corrupts. As police powers have become broader, that empowerment leads to entitlement. Entitlement means a thin skin to criticism. The refusal to accept any criticism leads to resentment. Repeat until wrung out.
User avatar
washingtonparkjones
 
Joined: November 10, 2003, 1:40 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby Mr. Glass » July 29, 2016, 6:59 pm

My favorite post from you ever WPJ. Bravo sir. :clap: :clap:
"Prince will steal your girl, then steal her clothes, then steal someone else's girl in your girl's clothes."

Xani Machdo (Twitter user)
User avatar
Mr. Glass
 
Joined: June 29, 2007, 2:59 pm
Location: Down by the beach

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » July 31, 2016, 9:19 pm

washingtonparkjones wrote:Several of my HS classmates are police and I see a lot of post on FB from them. I saw a lot o variants of this
Image
It made me sad because it seems the police have lost all perspective.

The "blue line" was not a term of police pride. Its was term invented and used to describe police loyalty to police and silence about misdeed. The fact that police have made a point of concern into a point of pride is emblematic of the problem.

Power corrupts. As police powers have become broader, that empowerment leads to entitlement. Entitlement means a thin skin to criticism. The refusal to accept any criticism leads to resentment. Repeat until wrung out.


The error in your logic is that various police departments as well as policing agencies FBI CIA etc. are not all one big unit. For them to all be corrupt, they would need to be a single entity, under one set of rules and jurisdictions. Are there corrupt departments, sure. But painting them all with this statements is more emblematic of the problems that I see than their "power trips".

A white police officer kills a black man....all police officers hate black men.

A republican makes a racist statement...all republicans are racist....as you say, Repeat until wrung out. We are nearing wrung out which is a main factor that leads to the rise of a Trump.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby Mr. Glass » August 1, 2016, 4:58 pm

dcapodic wrote:The error in your logic is that various police departments as well as policing agencies FBI CIA etc. are not all one big unit. For them to all be corrupt, they would need to be a single entity, under one set of rules and jurisdictions. Are there corrupt departments, sure. But painting them all with this statements is more emblematic of the problems that I see than their "power trips".

A white police officer kills a black man....all police officers hate black men.

A republican makes a racist statement...all republicans are racist....as you say, Repeat until wrung out. We are nearing wrung out which is a main factor that leads to the rise of a Trump.


I believe that the blue line is present in most forces today. Why? For the same reason that our Army rallies behind a single flag. For the same reason sports teams gather under one helmet or jersey. Now imagine the Army teaming with the Air Force and Marines. Imagine NBA players representing in the Olympics together. Yes, I absolutely believe that the blue line has the capacity to become one big unit because, "a unifying credo that ensures your partners will protect you against those who are not you" simply requires validation of your teammates. Small or large scale.

This is all fine and good when used within the boundaries of the law and shit, but not for our police forces. I imagine it's tough though. Remember Russell Crowe's character in American Gangster?
"Prince will steal your girl, then steal her clothes, then steal someone else's girl in your girl's clothes."

Xani Machdo (Twitter user)
User avatar
Mr. Glass
 
Joined: June 29, 2007, 2:59 pm
Location: Down by the beach

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » August 2, 2016, 9:00 am

Mr. Glass wrote:
I believe that the blue line is present in most forces today. Why? For the same reason that our Army rallies behind a single flag. For the same reason sports teams gather under one helmet or jersey. Now imagine the Army teaming with the Air Force and Marines. Imagine NBA players representing in the Olympics together. Yes, I absolutely believe that the blue line has the capacity to become one big unit because, "a unifying credo that ensures your partners will protect you against those who are not you" simply requires validation of your teammates. Small or large scale.

This is all fine and good when used within the boundaries of the law and shit, but not for our police forces. I imagine it's tough though. Remember Russell Crowe's character in American Gangster?


Glass, it seems popular these days to speak in "big" terms. I put it in the same category as the comments in the other thread, "herd mentality". It is natural to want to run in a herd and it is natural to want to put everyone and everything into a nice, neat package. But, we are individuals and incidents unique in their own way.

I there a "blue line", sure just like there are basic tenants and features of any occupation. Is it to the level that is being referred to here....it would have to be some kinda Illuminati organization to get that kinda blind cooperation. Let's see, the black DOJ worker staying silent, hiding evidence for the racist white cop that got up one morning and decided he was gonna gun down some unarmed black kid.
Let that sink in for a moment.

Which sounds more logical to you, I like to work in examples, some would call it anecdotal evidence but I see it is practical examples to be taken for what they are worth.

A black teenager and his friend rob a convenience store. they leave there and some time later, they are walking down the middle of the street. A cop pulls up and tells them to walk on the sidewalk. He recognizes them as fitting a description of 2 guys that just robbed a store close by. From there, by all accounts (other than the friend) this leads to a struggle between the black teenager and the cop, which leads to the teenager wrestling with the cop for his gun. Things progress and the teenager is shot and killed. The friend states that the teenagers hands were in the air at the time he was shot.

Blue line logic....that cop woke up that day after working years in a predominantly black neighborhood and decided he was gonna shoot an unarmed black teenager that day. At the least, he somehow harbored racism, white privledge, etc (fill in the blank). "Hands up don't shoot" becomes the cry of the time, well even though virtually all witnesses (also black) said this wasn't true. BLM group is born. The president(the high man on the blue line totem pole, whom is half African American) and the boss of the DOJ(also black and the second in command of the blue line code) somehow combine to review all of the evidence and decide that to believe the policeman's story, or maybe better put tha tthere is not enough evidence that it went down any other way thatn he described. The blue line holds again.

Riots, mayhem, etc. follow and blue line logic tells us, hey it worked over tehre os a whole string of other blue line cops decide, it's time. they decide to kill black people also. In one case, they throw one in the back of a van and let him rattle around until he dies. Oh, by the way several of these cops are black also but blue runs deeper than black.

If this all sounds logical to you then it is the illuminati to get that kind of power and follow through but remember, for it to be true it goes right to the top.

I can't buy that OBama and Holder are in on any kinda coverup. It is a LOT more logical to believe statistics and truths than this kinda secret entity or power or coordination is working under the covers.

Then times this by the amount of riots we have seen recently.

Repeat until wrung out.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby Mr. Glass » August 3, 2016, 11:46 pm

Good stuff dc.

That "pack mentality" I was speaking about is real. Works great for animals like wild dogs and hyenas. That is, sacrificing self for the good of the pack. Works great in police departments as well when the objective is ccohesion against a threat. Not so much though when it's used to cover wrongdoing.

In no way did I mean to imply that an interwoven network of cooperation between all law enforcement existed, with Holder as the ringleader.That would be nuts. At a granular level cops cover each other's asses. Good or bad. Cross that line though, and rahter you're white, asian, Hispanic or whatever, you will be banished.

Quick thought - 4-alarm fire occurs. That means 4 different companies converge on a pretty serious blaze. Does it matter the unit logo on the fire fighter's helmet at that point? Nope. They become a unit fighting as one. The same happens with cops, FBI, SWAT and sheriffs every day. Will they all work together to cover injustice for each other at that level? Probably not. But I don't pretend that the magnitude of something seriously scandalous couldn't galvanize masses a cops. Did it in the 60s.
Last edited by Mr. Glass on August 3, 2016, 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Prince will steal your girl, then steal her clothes, then steal someone else's girl in your girl's clothes."

Xani Machdo (Twitter user)
User avatar
Mr. Glass
 
Joined: June 29, 2007, 2:59 pm
Location: Down by the beach

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby Mr. Glass » August 3, 2016, 11:52 pm

And this too:

In no way am I saying that most police forces are dirty. The majority of cops do upstanding jobs. But imagine what could go wrong if even 4 cops were dirty in a unit of 100? Multiply that times America.
"Prince will steal your girl, then steal her clothes, then steal someone else's girl in your girl's clothes."

Xani Machdo (Twitter user)
User avatar
Mr. Glass
 
Joined: June 29, 2007, 2:59 pm
Location: Down by the beach

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » August 4, 2016, 8:55 am

Mr. Glass wrote:And this too:

In no way am I saying that most police forces are dirty. The majority of cops do upstanding jobs. But imagine what could go wrong if even 4 cops were dirty in a unit of 100? Multiply that times America.


It made me sad because it seems the police have lost all perspective.

The "blue line" was not a term of police pride. Its was term invented and used to describe police loyalty to police and silence about misdeed. The fact that police have made a point of concern into a point of pride is emblematic of the problem.

Power corrupts. As police powers have become broader, that empowerment leads to entitlement. Entitlement means a thin skin to criticism. The refusal to accept any criticism leads to resentment. Repeat until wrung out.


Glass, this is the quote that lead down this path of discussion. There are no qualifications. It lumps all all police together and states that their action is "emblematic of the problem"

Nice trickery of words. In one statement he is judge, jury and executioner.

Yes, as stated earlier, there is a blue line. Anecdotal evidence alert: I realized a while back that loyalty is an awfully powerful attribute to have. I live believing that and try to pass it on whenever I can. "Thin blue line". Can loyalty be taken to an extreme, absolutely, I see it often. People that blindly follow their political party or support people of their own race, color or religion for no other reason than that commonality. But suddenly, it is bad and out of control in our police departments.

Link it together Glass with the subject of this thread and for what I believe was being referred to by those comments copied above. In order to believe that "cops are killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate" and somehow this is all tied together and that the "thin blue line" is helping for them to get away with it then you ARE saying that Holder is complicit and that POTUS OBama is complicit, etc. Or, are you saying that they are fools and don't understand what is happening or that they have no power to deal with this, etc. Using this kind of "excuse" is "emblematic" of the problem". We don't use our logic. Instead, we blame the issues (of course, assumng there is one when statistical evidence tells us there probably is not one) and look for something we can put a nice, big bow around and write it off to that. Yup, thin blue line saved the policeman in the example of my previous post, right? Couldn't have been that he was just telling the truth. It's helping all of the policeman in Baltimore get off one after the other. Couldn't be because what happened that day happens everyday, almost SOP as they said from the beginning. Couldn't be tha thaving a group like BLM convince their peeps that this is some kinda massive coverup and that people, good people of all races are waking up some days and deciding it is time to let their prejudice show and kill some black people. Couldn't be that somehow we are overlooking that groups such as BLM ar rioting in city streets for no other reason than they believe in the Illuminati and like the kid with his ball, they are not going to leave until they get their way.

It goes on and on, what we need to believe and the logic that we need to forget to make that statement:

It made me sad because it seems the police have lost all perspective.

The "blue line" was not a term of police pride. Its was term invented and used to describe police loyalty to police and silence about misdeed. The fact that police have made a point of concern into a point of pride is emblematic of the problem.

Power corrupts. As police powers have become broader, that empowerment leads to entitlement. Entitlement means a thin skin to criticism. The refusal to accept any criticism leads to resentment. Repeat until wrung out.


believable.

Let's add this. Sheriff David Cllarke, you know he is an "uncle Tom" right? That is what he is being called, certainly what BLM tells you he is. Always curious how a group like that decides who is "in and who is "out". Well, that is easy. Roll over and follow them blindly, you are in. Speak your mind and perhaps show a conservative bone in your body, "out".

The list grows of who i have to believe are uncle Toms to buy this thin blue line logic:

Alan West
Ben Carson
Sheriff David Clarke
etc.

Repeat until wrung out.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby Mr. Glass » August 4, 2016, 3:44 pm

Again, good stuff DC.

I wasn't looking for "word trickery" or trying to read between any "lines" (pun intended) in WPJs post. I found awareness in his statement:

1. He established an informal relationship he has had (or has) with police officers. This is a perspective different from most posters and makes WPJ's insight another lens in which to view things.

2. The meme, and the sentence immediately after it may have seemed like a generalization of all cops, but I just didn't take it that way. "The police" in this instance of usage was the equivalent of saying, "I'm calling the police on you". All of them? From everywhere? Not exactly. I thought it pointed to a potentially jaded ideology that cops may be adopting in mass, but certainly not indicative of all-inclusive collusion.

3. After a brief history on the origins of the "blue line", I really started to lock in. You see, a narrative that has been used throughout history is to take a negative and flip it on your opposition. He says Black Lives Matter, she says All Lives Matter. The latter is designed to discount the former. The latter is designed to take attention away from the point the former is trying to make. In the case of the 'blue line" WPJ is correct. Its history is based on a negative, and some of those FB posters have lost perspective of this. Again, this is how I read it.

4. His last sentence points to the police, but it could apply to any group with power. I thought it was well said.

Sometimes hyperbole can detract from the point(s) being made. If your point of divergence is the suggestion that all cops honor a code of silence, then maybe that can be dialed back. Would you be able to swallow the fact that ANY cop involved in non-sanctioned behavior is a detriment to our society? Enough people feel it's a big enough issue to protest it, so I want to hear their cries...not decry them.

I have to say this too - I was born in Queens and raised out on Long Island. My HS homeroom's seats were filled with Jews, Italians, Blacks, Irish, Indians, Hispanics...and a Native American. I truly find love in all these people. The white people who fought civil injustice during America's darker periods are some of my favorite people of all time. But I digress. As a "mutt" raised with diversity, I understand the "Uncle Tom" label and I reject it as simply a convenient way to stereotype and reject a person's stance. People identify me as Black yet I listen to more rock music than the average White guy. To the ignorant I might appear to be an "Oreo" for this (because I rock out son!), but it's just me. Deal with it like my wife does.

I seek to find the good in all folks, not their contradictions and shortcomings. Yet every day, the media does the opposite of that.
"Prince will steal your girl, then steal her clothes, then steal someone else's girl in your girl's clothes."

Xani Machdo (Twitter user)
User avatar
Mr. Glass
 
Joined: June 29, 2007, 2:59 pm
Location: Down by the beach

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » August 4, 2016, 6:49 pm

Glass, as always your posts are so easily readable and understandable. After I am done I truly get the feel like I know where you are coming from. I think that basically we are saying similar things, just a bit apart on the importance.

After a brief history on the origins of the "blue line", I really started to lock in. You see, a narrative that has been used throughout history is to take a negative and flip it on your opposition. He says Black Lives Matter, she says All Lives Matter. The latter is designed to discount the former. The latter is designed to take attention away from the point the former is trying to make. In the case of the 'blue line" WPJ is correct. Its history is based on a negative, and some of those FB posters have lost perspective of this. Again, this is how I read it.


I found this interesting and I realized that you kinda hit on something.How do you feel about people posting BLM pics or "hands up, don't shoot"statuses? The reason I ask is that I too wonder what posses people to do these types of things as you have about the thin blue line meme. As discussed, at least there is a basis for that. As we knew very quickly, and now with the benefit of time and countless investigations, we know there was not "hands up, don't shoot?" yet people still believe it and use it. The whole basis of BLM as an organization comes from and uses as it poster child ad man that had just committed a crime and attacked a police officer. There is little to confront these facts yet here we are. His friend lies and there is the genesis of a whole movement, one that has torn cities apart and whose leader have gotten invited to the white house. The White house, the one that was illuminated in rainbow colors in celebration for a gay rights bill. It seems our POTUS is not afraid to show where he stands so if someone wants to use the thin blue line as a way to show police unity, I can't see a problem with that, not in comparison to burning cites, rioting, all over lies.

You are right Glass, the media is the culprit. This is why I won't let the media or someone that tends to bend to its liberal slant influence my thoughts on things like the thin blue line. So harmless.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/02/us/politics/black-lives-matter-campaign.html?_r=0

The release of the six demands comes a few days before the second anniversary of the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., which set off months of protests and led to a national conversation about police killings of blacks.


At least we are getting to the heart of things now. I respect people and organizations that do not hide their intent, perhaps they are ready to start being open now. It is all based on a fairy tale but we are asked to respect it.

I guess I can respect the thin blue line then too, even though as WPJ points out, it is not the perfect symbol. It appears to be a lot better than the one that BLM uses, would you agree?
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » August 5, 2016, 10:02 am

Korryn Gaines, cradling child and shotgun, is fatally shot by police. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 1138ee1980


It bothers me to see celebs consider this woman as a martyr.

In my humble opinion, she wanted to die at the hands of police. There's a traffic stop video where the cops are actually being respectful, but she's screaming about they will have to kill her if they put hands on her and telling her children to fight the police. If the police show up at your door to serve a warrant and you choose to grab a loaded shotgun and get on social media and ignore pleases from your family to surrender...

You invited confrontation with cops. You wanted to die.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 2:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » August 5, 2016, 10:04 am

Love the discussion Dcap and Mr. Glass.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
User avatar
shakespeare
Writer
 
Joined: June 28, 2004, 2:43 am
Location: Manhattan, NY

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby Mr. Glass » August 5, 2016, 10:51 am

Likewise DC. Your viewpoints and the viewpoints of others are important to me. I want to learn and share. Dialog of this nature is critical.

dcapodic wrote:I guess I can respect the thin blue line then too, even though as WPJ points out, it is not the perfect symbol. It appears to be a lot better than the one that BLM uses, would you agree?


One organization is not really an organization, while the other is:

- State and Federally funded
- Trained professionals
- Oath takers
- Equipped like the military

I absolutely expect our police forces to be better than the likes of some unorganized, seemingly random group of malcontents with bullhorns and signs. Our police forces are mandated to be better! Comparing one to the other is like comparing a YMCA pickup game to the New York Knickerbockers (shout out). Our police forces are undertrained and over equipped. Much like our military and their controlling powers, we throw easy solutions at difficult problems. We ask our officers to engage in communities where poverty, crime and drugs run rampant. We ask our officers to be counselors, moderators, peace keepers, educators, mentors and split-second decision makers...for a really shitty wage. We ask them to check their personal problems and biases at the door. It sucks DC, and I will always respect the sacrifices that these men and women make daily. But I DO hold them to higher standards than BLM.

Add to this the political and social media-driven pressures, and you're dealing with a highly stressful career. I can understand why the blue line exists for cops. It eventually becomes them (LEOs) versus:

- Hordes of lawyers trying to profit from their mistakes.
- Criminals of all backgrounds and various levels of crime.
- Their Internal Affairs (IA) departments.
- The aforementioned politicians and social media nuts.
- And firefighters.

Fucking wow.

BLM is an imperfect group, established on a false narrative. This is a fact, but they do exist for a reason. Consider this - The Black Panther Party of the 1960s were also an imperfect group/movement. In short, their MO was to fight fire with fire versus the MLK sect of protesters who assembled in peace. Who got the holiday? Sometimes good can come from a sea of bad though. You won't read much about the Black Panthers providing books and clothes in their communities. You won't read about the protection they provided to the threatened, or the community cleanup programs they instituted. You'll just hear about a bunch of scary dudes in berets with guns. BLM can become something more significant, but right now I am not fully on board. I see no structural hierarchy. I see directionless passion. But I understand the struggle:

- Economic-based discrimination.
- Historical bias by police, government and corporations.
- Educational disadvantage.
- Over policing.
- Drugs, poverty, crime and teen pregnancy.
- Overt and surreptitious racism.
- And firefighters.

Without equal awareness for the plights of each group, we will never arrive at a complete solution. That is why we must talk. Not just here at NYKFP, but nationally. Our President invites these folks to the White House for a reason. Conversation. Enlightenment. Ideas. I am not threatened by this. On the contrary, I am inspired. In my mind they could be talking about the same things we are talking about here. And that benefits us all. God bless and Happy Friday bro!
"Prince will steal your girl, then steal her clothes, then steal someone else's girl in your girl's clothes."

Xani Machdo (Twitter user)
User avatar
Mr. Glass
 
Joined: June 29, 2007, 2:59 pm
Location: Down by the beach

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby dcapodic » August 6, 2016, 6:29 pm

Good stuff Glass. I am kinda up against it and don't have much time as I am headed out for a week or so but you last post was just too good not to mention.

While I agree with there really not being a comparison between "Police" and the BLM, this is what we are being asked to/forced to do, that is at issue. That is why I mentioned the invite to the White House. The issue is that it was a one way talk. If you really want to do this, it has to make sense and be logical whereas in this case I think the POTUS just invited BLM. That, to me is a critical mistake and cannot be repeated. As the POTUS, yes he has to walk a fine line, that just goes with the job. I totally agree about the open talks. Main issue, BLM does not do this by any means. In fact, I have never seen them talk at all. They riot. The riot until they get what they want. I get that you can draw comparisons to past orgs and say, hey this is the way it has to happen but I completely disagree with their methods. Sorry, we don't live in a wporld any more where the only way you can justify getting your way is standing on a car hood and shouting, "Let's burn this MF down".

You are so correct in there not being a comparison but I would add to what you say by this, BLM plays in a game with its own rules. It does what it wants, when it wants and gets the results it wants or it just continues. Odd, isn't it. The police get castigated for doing their job, this is not an even playing field. We are led to a world where the BLM's of the world are the ones we "must" listen to and need to understand. What?!? How did this happen?

Ok, the org with the real power is based on a false premise, has no control and basically does what it wants and this is whom we invite to the White House and "need" to hear from. Let that sink in for a bit. It's all fake.....they are funded by a WHITE Billionaire (that Billionaire, with a "B"). The "change" recently was from an influx of cash where they spent it on things like PR people and "rebranding" BLM. Does this sound like something that developed from a "ground swell" and is the new voice of reality or a well funded, provate militia being used and abused for the entertainment and enrichment of a very rich person. He has done it all over the world. These are the things that get me. People do not look at facts or do research any more. Has the media aclled out and mentioned the things we have about the whole false beginnings of BLM? No. Why, it does not serve their purpose. So, the lie perpetuates. Do they talk about what is happening in Baltimore as BLM is STILL rioting and protesting, even as every officer is getting acquitted and teh person now faces charges is the DA that brought the cases up despite a preponderance of evidence that there was no wrong doing. So, a city with a large Black population, a large black presence on the police force, a black police commisioner, a black DA, etc all teh way up to a black head of the DOJ and half black POTUS and STILL it happens and continues. I almost brought up the Black Panthers in a previous post but the comparisons with BLM are so distant, I decided that it was not fair to the Black Panthers. Wow.

I will be out of tocuh for a bit but something I ant to do for myself....stop speaking in hyperbole, big picture, etc. Get it down to facts, stats, real tangible things. Every time I have done taht recently it gets scary how much stuff is going on an dhow the media is jerking people around all on stuff like the BLM seems to specialize on....one person saying what they want to happen so it becomes the rallying cry of a group, a culture, and a nation. Scary stuff.

Closing....yea, there is a thin blue line, there has to be. The rules are not fair but is it any where near what people make it out to be, I just don't see it. If anyone does, bring up the cases, show the proof, quote the stats. I know of cases for sure I could bring up. But, they are few and far between. The cases of the media, BLM, etc just going off for no reason, those are plentiful and easy to find, Shakes quoted one above.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
User avatar
dcapodic
 
Joined: February 4, 2007, 11:38 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest