Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Is it just me?

Yes
54%
No
31%
This is not the place to discuss such a sensitive matter
15%

Total votes : 13

Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby shakespeare » August 13, 2014, 8:07 am

The senseless murder of the unarmed black teenager in St. Louis is just heartbreaking on so many levels. Getting harassed and (understandably) resisting arrest should never, ever lead to murder. Yet it does, over and over again.

But why?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/13/opini ... .html?_r=0
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Re: Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Postby qdman » August 13, 2014, 10:21 am

what about the guy killed while trying to sell cigs, that was on video? He basically died over the "sin tax" why do lawmakers put cops in a position where they are supposed to be against the citizens? you can't have a population of untouchable people trying to cow a population that can have the facts twisted on them post mortem.

However, this is not only happening to unarmed black men. They are a little more easy to make seem criminal (facts like the officers claiming they hit him, sprinkle crack on this guy and lets get out of here type stuff) than whites but people of all races are getting fucked up by police in a permanent way, and it's escalating, yes it is. I can find tons of the stories if people wanna hear them. sample: 13 yr old kid steals fathers car, father teaches lesson by calling cops, cops shoot unarmed (white) kid. theres a ton

cops smell weed, break up a party, one kid runs away, cops chase and think they've caught up, the break into random kids house and pin him on his stomach, then curb stomp him, crushes his skull. he got some money to pay for reconstructive surgery.

One thing i can promise you is there is no dirth of white people getting wasted by the cops unjustifiably.
Last edited by qdman on August 13, 2014, 10:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
qdman

Postby qdman » August 13, 2014, 10:25 am

ynow whats really escalating? the number of kids getting sexually abused and beaten in child protective services. There was a (white) couple with a newborn, they put the kid to bed and were smoking a joint in their living room, neighbor old lady sniffs and calls CPS knowing they have a baby (maybe she thought the baby was smoking?). anyway that baby was taken, and not long after found in a CPS facility with it's head bashed in. there are plenty of older kids whove been raped and beaten by a seemingly uncaring system, got em if needed. not only are they messed up but they get no justice at all afterward. there's never been a scandal with CPS, only catholic priests are allowed to be shown molesting apparently. It's a good piece of insight to realize that any job with authority over children is going to attract predators automatically, as well as the cop job attracts predators too.

In regard to the shootings the cops can usually legitamately claim it was a.) their job to arrest or b.) they thought they were in danger. then there are C cases like the black guy shot in the spine lying on his stomach by a cop who "thought" he was holding taser but accidentally pulled and fired his nine, forgot if the guy was killed or just paralysed. I don't really know what to do about this situation except whittle down some of A, the reason a cop gets aggro should be a damn good one PERIOD, it's on the lawmakers to make this happen, and also experiment with switching to using private law enforcement services which can be held accountable if/when they fuck up, less "mistakes" like C and less of what I think your implying shakes, where the legal protections on the cops are so strong they can bias their decisions heavily in their favor, they feel like they should just shoot and expect the guy to be packing (unless your ludicrously claiming that this is a light ethnic cleansing, but i hope thats not true). I think the expectation that a black guy is armed enhances the cop's legal protection in his mind. Private cops would be scrutinized more, without any perceived anti-american sentiment creating a backlash from the scrutiny.
qdman

Postby shakespeare » August 13, 2014, 6:29 pm

qdaman wrote:sample: 13 yr old kid steals fathers car, father teaches lesson by calling cops, cops shoot unarmed (white) kid.

Wow. I need to Google that story.

I have a cousin who worked her way up the ranks in the police department and constantly reminds family members of the dangers of being a police officer. I've also witnessed first-hand accounts of unruly individuals who honest to God needed police to come and use excessive force on them. So I understand both sides of the fence. But there are situations (many, as of late) where I seriously do not understand whatever officer's line of thought. I mean, how do you justifiably shoot and kill anyone with their hands raised in the air (this, after already wrongly injuring the person with a gunshot).

That is really scary.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby qdman » August 14, 2014, 12:11 am

its tought to be in that positioin. not long ago i made a shitty statement about cops regarding the dogs that get shot by cops, like people become cops just to kill dogs or sumthing like that. I still think the stuf i said about catholic priests-if you wanna kill dogs like some do then its your ideal occupation-but i was wrong to label all cops like that cause some do what they are supposed to. still there's a big problem that needs to be addressed, cops dont seem to think they are accountable and im not convinced the conventional setup allows proper justice. I wish we could put the law on equally. If private merc guys work in iraq, why not chicago? at least we could hold everyone accountable with no guilt.
qdman

Postby qdman » August 14, 2014, 11:00 am

here's the story, sorry i accidentally beefed it up by reducing the kid age, he was 19

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/nov/7/iowa-police-shoot-teen-dead-after-father-calls-cop/
qdman

Postby washingtonparkjones » August 14, 2014, 3:48 pm

Working in the DAs office as an intern taught me that there are three kinds of police. For some its a calling and a position of honor to serve the public. For some its just a job with good retirement and pension benefits. For some its an opportunity to wield a gun and a badge. Sometimes its a bit of each.

I've had police arrest me for skiing on someone else's pass in Vail but stopped at the bank, uncuffed me and let me go in to get bail money so I didn't have to sit in jail waiting for a friend to come get me.

When I was 15 and missed the drunk train (last train out to long island) with some of my friends after a Pink Floyd show in the Meadowlands, one po po kicked out of Penn Station forcing us to spend the night out on the street in what was a pretty shitty neighborhood at the time, only to have another one come along and sit with us for three hours, letting us take turns getting into his car to warm up.

When I was 16, I got up in a cops face for telling us to vacate the public beach at night drunk with a beer in my hand (for real, my friends still rib me for it). He let my friends drag my dumb ass away, then showed up at my school two days later to tell me I owed him an apology, which I was happy to do.

I've also had one stiff arm me and press my face into a wall in Huntington Beach for J walking, threaten to arrest me for disorderly conduct (I was just crossing the street) and then order me to go home because I had been legally drinking in a bar three blocks from my hotel.

I've often thought we need all police to wear video cameras, so anything the do can be reviewed, but that would also have prevented the ones who bent the rules to be nice from exercising some compassion. There is no perfect answer, but murderers should go to jail regardless of whether they have a badge and the fuckers that shoot dogs should be fired immediately.
washingtonparkjones

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » August 14, 2014, 4:49 pm

Well then, things are definitely trending upward.

We know about Fred Hampton (200 shots fired), Amadou Diallo (41 shots fired), Sean Bell (50 shots fired), Oscar Grant, Andy Lopez Cruz, Jonathan Ferrell, Eric Garner, John Crawford, Mike Brown and Ezell Ford, but what about the cases that weren't exactly news worthy??? The crazy thing is they'd ALL still be alive if only they were caucasion...

Foreshadowing...
CHICAGO (WLS) -- Illinois State Police will deploy with the Chicago Police Department's Fugitive Apprehension Unit on Thursday morning.

Starting at District 11 on the West Side, a new crime-fighting effort will begin Thursday morning. Forty officers with Illinois State Police will report here to help the Chicago Police Department's Fugitive Apprehension Unit with tracking down wanted criminals. It is yet another tactic that Mayor Rahm Emanuel is using to try and reduce the violence. Last week, he announced the agreement with Governor Pat Quinn.

"When I brought it to the governor, he quickly turned around and said 'yes, we're in.' They're going to give us 40 state troopers, work over the next 40 days, evaluate its effectiveness," Emanuel said last week.

The police superintendent welcomes the help.

"More means we can go out and arrest more wanted people," said Supt. Garry McCarthy, Chicago Police Department.

But Wednesday night, police insiders tell me there may be more people working, but not necessarily more resources. For example, state police will not be using their own vehicles, instead there will likely be four officers - two from the city, two from the state - per car, meaning the same number of units.

In the meantime, an FBI spokeswoman says the agency continues to use agents in Chicago, and some will be dispatched to high-crime areas.

"We are going to focus, or concentrate some of their numbers on the street for a handful of days," said Special Agent Joan Hyde, Federal Bureau of Investigations.

The FBI would not release detailed information about those concentrated deployments.

source
It's the Triangle over EVERYTHING!!! Melo-God is on borrowed time...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » August 14, 2014, 4:52 pm

washingtonparkjones wrote:Working in the DAs office as an intern taught me that there are three kinds of police. For some its a calling and a position of honor to serve the public. For some its just a job with good retirement and pension benefits. For some its an opportunity to wield a gun and a badge. Sometimes its a bit of each.

I've had police arrest me for skiing on someone else's pass in Vail but stopped at the bank, uncuffed me and let me go in to get bail money so I didn't have to sit in jail waiting for a friend to come get me.

When I was 15 and missed the drunk train (last train out to long island) with some of my friends after a Pink Floyd show in the Meadowlands, one po po kicked out of Penn Station forcing us to spend the night out on the street in what was a pretty shitty neighborhood at the time, only to have another one come along and sit with us for three hours, letting us take turns getting into his car to warm up.

When I was 16, I got up in a cops face for telling us to vacate the public beach at night drunk with a beer in my hand (for real, my friends still rib me for it). He let my friends drag my dumb ass away, then showed up at my school two days later to tell me I owed him an apology, which I was happy to do.

I've also had one stiff arm me and press my face into a wall in Huntington Beach for J walking, threaten to arrest me for disorderly conduct (I was just crossing the street) and then order me to go home because I had been legally drinking in a bar three blocks from my hotel.

I've often thought we need all police to wear video cameras, so anything the do can be reviewed, but that would also have prevented the ones who bent the rules to be nice from exercising some compassion. There is no perfect answer, but murderers should go to jail regardless of whether they have a badge and the fuckers that shoot dogs should be fired immediately.

Damn, that's a lot of white privilege... Y'all melanin deficient mu'fuckas get away with murder. 8-)
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby bobhait » August 14, 2014, 5:20 pm

you know what the number is to make cops killing civilians an "alarming rate"? 1. this shit is unacceptable
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby qdman » August 14, 2014, 7:14 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote: The crazy thing is they'd ALL still be alive if only they were caucasion...

i dont even want to get into it but that's just not true, eric garner would be dead for sure, and cops are scared of trenchcoat mafia guys as well as gangbangers and will shoot both. Most of these cases aren't murders on any level imo they are bad decisions driven by having to walk a fine line between getting shot and not getting shot, every day. It could be done better, we could scrutinize cops more and reduce these tragic mistakes. funny thing is the 19 year old i mentioned wasnt news worthy at all, had to check the alt media to know, many of the guys you cited were in the daily news, both were equally real to the victims and their families. say what you want about white on black crime, but dont try to deny that it sells papers. I can easily come up with ten caucasions youve never heard of who were killed or seriously injured by the police unjustifyably within the last 10 years. hell make it five.

ill just warm up a little;
kid has his hands in the air, honor student says what are you gonna do shoot me? big mistake. he's white, but strangely the color of his skin didn't help stop the bullet from penetrating his chest and killing him. same thing as the guy in missouri thats burning up the news, but for white honor student theres no mention in the main stream media. so ease up on the racebaiting.
qdman

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » August 15, 2014, 1:43 am

qdaman wrote:i dont even want to get into it but that's just not true, eric garner would be dead for sure, and cops are scared of trenchcoat mafia guys as well as gangbangers and will shoot both. Most of these cases aren't murders on any level imo they are bad decisions driven by having to walk a fine line between getting shot and not getting shot, every day. It could be done better, we could scrutinize cops more and reduce these tragic mistakes. funny thing is the 19 year old i mentioned wasnt news worthy at all, had to check the alt media to know, many of the guys you cited were in the daily news, both were equally real to the victims and their families. say what you want about white on black crime, but dont try to deny that it sells papers. I can easily come up with ten caucasions youve never heard of who were killed or seriously injured by the police unjustifyably within the last 10 years. hell make it five.

ill just warm up a little;
kid has his hands in the air, honor student says what are you gonna do shoot me? big mistake. he's white, but strangely the color of his skin didn't help stop the bullet from penetrating his chest and killing him. same thing as the guy in missouri thats burning up the news, but for white honor student theres no mention in the main stream media. so ease up on the racebaiting.

Wut???

First things first, lemme start of by sayin' the Black man in America is demonized and perceived as dangerous, kinda like your gangbanger reference but that's neither here nor there... But it speaks to the fact that EVERY Black Man/Boy is automatically considered a threat to society, authorities and civilians alike. Making our lives seem valueless to the masses. Which quite honestly is the root cause for ALL of this fuckery. That, and America's extensive history concerning Black People...

Now, I think you misunderstood my point with my "news worthy" comment so allow me to clarify. My focus was the countless number of unnamed innocent Black People who have been killed over the years without a meaningful story to put behind it. The last thing on my mind was what stories sell newspapers. However, I don't deny the power of propaganda, when it applies. But here it doesn't. Nowadays the outrage on Social Media is so fast and vast it forces these old media outlets try to keep up. And as a result print media is focused on trying to remain relevant moreso than focusing on what stories may or may not sell.

As for your trenchcoat mafia comment I overstand what you were trying to say but that shyt was way beyond a s-t-r-e-t-c-h... There were only two pussies who fit into that category, and both them dudes have already been dealt with. Nice try though, but aside from yaself I doubt anybody would ever attempt to make that kinda generalization. There is no negative stigma to attach to any caucasion guy that equates to the stigma of simply being Black in America, period. Truth be told there's nuthin to even debate here. You stating that you can come up with at least ten caucasion men who have been killed by the police within the last 10 years as if that makes things all good/even/balanced, just makes you seem crazy...

Lemme cut this short before I get banned, again. Black people have been victims of violence in this country for hundreds of years, the mistreat of Blacks in America is as American as baking apple pie.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby dcapodic » August 15, 2014, 9:47 am

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:Wut???

First things first, lemme start of by sayin' the Black man in America is demonized and perceived as dangerous, kinda like your gangbanger reference but that's neither here nor there... But it speaks to the fact that EVERY Black Man/Boy is automatically considered a threat to society, authorities and civilians alike. Making our lives seem valueless to the masses. Which quite honestly is the root cause for ALL of this fuckery. That, and America's extensive history concerning Black People...

Now, I think you misunderstood my point with my "news worthy" comment so allow me to clarify. My focus was the countless number of unnamed innocent Black People who have been killed over the years without a meaningful story to put behind it. The last thing on my mind was what stories sell newspapers. However, I don't deny the power of propaganda, when it applies. But here it doesn't. Nowadays the outrage on Social Media is so fast and vast it forces these old media outlets try to keep up. And as a result print media is focused on trying to remain relevant moreso than focusing on what stories may or may not sell.

As for your trenchcoat mafia comment I overstand what you were trying to do but that shyt was way beyond a s-t-r-e-t-c-h... There were only two pussies who fit into that category, and both them dudes have already been dealt with. Nice try though, but aside from yaself I doubt anybody would ever attempt to make that kinda generalization. There is no negative stigma attached to any caucasion guy that equates to the stigma of simply being Black in America, period. Truth be told there's nuthin to even debate here. You stating that you can come up with at least ten caucasion men who have been killed by the police within the last 10 years as if that makes things all good/even/fair, just makes you seem crazy...

Lemme cut this short before I get banned, again. Black people have been victims of violence in this country for hundreds of years, the mistreat of Blacks in America is as American as baking apple pie.

If you truly believe this, everything else is almost moot. I was not keeping up with this particular case but spent some time playing catchup yesterday. Like many of these types of things that "catch the public's eye" there are so few actual facts to judge with that all judgements seem really premature. Despite this, people seem to be pretty sure they know the "real story" and are making judgements and grand statements with this being an example of a point they seem to want to press.

I agree with bobhait that even 1 innocent person being harmed is to much but can we at least hear what the story is? Not the one being shoved down our throats by a media that would love nothing better than this to "catch fire" and give lots of people lots to write about for a while.

I feel what qdman is saying and it could not be more accurate. i have this vision of these social media "reporters" sitting around and hearing the first bits of news about a shooting and hoping against hope that it is an interracial one so they can start the ball rolling. I remember all too well how Zimmerman, that typical white guy with the sorta Jewish name just had them salivating. Ught oh, turned out he was multiracial and actually considered himself hispanic....well, they can just gloss that over, he is WHITE!!

The important point is are we turning into a society, as many fear, where personal liberties are slowly but surely eroding and melding into a type of "police state" where police personnel no longer need a reason to take strong action? Black, white, straight, gay, whatever. Want to tell me one sector is feeling ti more than others, prove it don't fall back on old standby lines that seem to only want to dismiss other people's opinions since they don't fall into line.

Also...this rioting stuff....let's see, how many times have we seen that the immediate reaction to this kidn of stuff was pretty tempered until "social media exploded" (whatever that means) and all of a sudden there was outrage.

Too much to talk about here but racial issues are just one in a long line of "outrages".
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Postby thewatcher » August 15, 2014, 10:47 am

Great post Dcap. Police brutality does fall heavily/disproportionately on the African American community. But saying this doesn't happen ever to other races is falling right into the police bullies/killers hands. This is a human problem and sticking together against it is the only way to defeat it.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » August 15, 2014, 11:11 am

dcapodic wrote:If you truly believe this, everything else is almost moot. I was not keeping up with this particular case but spent some time playing catchup yesterday. Like many of these types of things that "catch the public's eye" there are so few actual facts to judge with that all judgements seem really premature. Despite this, people seem to be pretty sure they know the "real story" and are making judgements and grand statements with this being an example of a point they seem to want to press.

I agree with bobhait that even 1 innocent person being harmed is to much but can we at least hear what the story is? Not the one being shoved down our throats by a media that would love nothing better than this to "catch fire" and give lots of people lots to write about for a while.

I feel what qdman is saying and it could not be more accurate. i have this vision of these social media "reporters" sitting around and hearing the first bits of news about a shooting and hoping against hope that it is an interracial one so they can start the ball rolling. I remember all too well how Zimmerman, that typical white guy with the sorta Jewish name just had them salivating. Ught oh, turned out he was multiracial and actually considered himself hispanic....well, they can just gloss that over, he is WHITE!!

The important point is are we turning into a society, as many fear, where personal liberties are slowly but surely eroding and melding into a type of "police state" where police personnel no longer need a reason to take strong action? Black, white, straight, gay, whatever. Want to tell me one sector is feeling ti more than others, prove it don't fall back on old standby lines that seem to only want to dismiss other people's opinions since they don't fall into line.

Also...this rioting stuff....let's see, how many times have we seen that the immediate reaction to this kidn of stuff was pretty tempered until "social media exploded" (whatever that means) and all of a sudden there was outrage.

Too much to talk about here but racial issues are just one in a long line of "outrages".

Wow, it wasn't until yesterday that you started "playing catchup" on this case, huh? Apparently, an 18 year old being harassed and then ultimately shot to death in broad daylight by a police officer simply because he chose to walk in the street instead of the sidewalk, didn't hold your attention. I can only speak for myself but wrong is wrong. I don't need sumthin to "catch the public's eye" in order to me to pay attention to it. But stories like this one as well as the others I mentioned hit way too close to home for me because the victims come from my community, they look like me... And for you guys to act like there isn't a blatant disproportionate level of force being used by the police when dealing with Black People has me thinking that y'all are completely outta touch with reality.

Black People have always lived in a Police State in this country, this isn't anything new. Sure there wasn't any social media to document our claims but the truth was being voiced by our Black Leaders and the stories were being told in our music across all genres. It wasn't until the release of the Rodney King beating that the masses were able to witness things for themselves and really start paying attention. Now with cameras/social media so readily available the floodgates are now open. So yeah, we are currently living in a police state, if you didn't already know. So catchup...

Me: They won't catch me unarmed - I'm going out blasting, taking my enemies wit' me... And if not, they scarred, so they will never forget me...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby qdman » August 15, 2014, 11:49 am

I was hoping that black people would take the lead and say this isn't a black/white thing but an abuse of power thing. We could be united and strong, and get cops that do their jobs properly, which would benefit everyone. Why do you have to drag this racial history and rhetoric in, what do you hope to get that's better than what I just offered you? A world where Rodney King can run from the cops and when they catch him they say "please let us arrest you"? I just want the police to either refuse to arrest people based on stupid laws or have the common sense to look the other way when its a guy like Eric Garner, who wasn't gangbangery, he was obviously a good person trying to make some extra cash to support his family. I'm thinking of victims like eric garner, not instigators like rodney king (dont run from the cops or you get what you deserve period-unless they hurt you in a permanent way), and also those tons of white kids whom you dont seem to care about at all. Take your head out of the autobio of malcom x for one second and get in the game, there's an unbiased issue right in front of your eyes, it hurts black people, it hurts white people, it could be fixed if everyone could unite but from the way your talking that wont happen, so i guess ther'll be more eric garners.
qdman

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » August 15, 2014, 1:49 pm

^^^
First and foremost it's time for Black People to unite and stand in solidarity. Anything else is just an afterthought. However, feel free to fight for the cause just don't expect me or anyone else to thank you for ya efforts. Unless you are the type of person who desperately needs approval and acceptance in order to do what you feel is right? If so, you are probably setting yaself up for disappointment.

Mike Brown getting shot down, as well as every case like it has everything to do with race, period. There's no way around it. So, don't fool yaself into thinking otherwise...

And for the record my views have been shaped by a lot more than just The Autobiograhpy of Malcolm X. But allow me to respond with my own assumption, would I be wrong in assuming that you are a yogi? Probably not, since all you hippies are the same.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby qdman » August 15, 2014, 4:32 pm

I have one question for you. Does this bother you, or do you think it's ok?

there's a buildup, tragedy starts around 16:00

qdman

Postby bobhait » August 15, 2014, 5:42 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:^^^
First and foremost it's time for Black People to unite and stand in solidarity. Anything else is just an afterthought. However, feel free to fight for the cause just don't expect me or anyone else to thank you for ya efforts. Unless you are the type of person who desperately needs approval and acceptance in order to do what you feel is right? If so, you are probably setting yaself up for disappointment.

Mike Brown getting shot down, as well as every case like it has everything to do with race, period. There's no way around it. So, don't fool yaself into thinking otherwise...

And for the record my views have been shaped by a lot more than just The Autobiograhpy of Malcolm X. But allow me to respond with my own assumption, would I be wrong in assuming that you are a yogi? Probably not, since all you hippies are the same.

you are an asshole. has anyone told you that, cause I didn't want to be the one to break the news to you.
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby Koopa Troopa » August 15, 2014, 6:01 pm

Its definitely a race thing. The thing is though, its not just now, this has been going on forever. Its really scary stuff and its beyond sad.
Koopa Troopa

Next

Return to Off-Topic