Is it me or are cops killing unarmed black men at an alarming rate?

Talk about anything and everything.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Is it just me?

Yes
54%
No
31%
This is not the place to discuss such a sensitive matter
15%

Total votes: 13
Isa Soulstar
Likes given: 2

You know, up until now I've deliberately steered clear of this thread, just like I did the Trayvon Martin thread; because topics like these tend to give free reign to egoist gasbags to air their closeted racist inclinations and legitimize these heinous acts of genocide committed against people of color. Thus, is the nature of the internet, right? People can act all douchy under the guise of anonymity.

Most of these completely ridiculous assertions posed in this thread are done so from the comforts of White Privilege ..and truthfully I struggle with myself to not take it so personally when I read it. I'm sure that's what Glass was getting at when he said..
Mr. Glass wrote:This thread saddens me beyond words.

..and the fact that 70% of poll respondents in this thread think Shakespeare is just tripping balls for thinking these acts are nothing short of genocide. But these same respondents who would deny Caucasoid privilege in this country, if asked whether they'd trade their White classification for black skin would answer with a resounding "No fucking way."

So half the time I don't even bother with topics like this ..most of the drivel these threads produce are misread facts, unsubstantiated rumors, and other idiocy passed off as personal opinion. Even when some folks conflate these murderous acts by police officers with black-on-black violence, I won't even dignify these people with dialog. But the idea that some are perfectly content with decriminalizing the actions of cowards who pursue law enforcement only for a legal means of killing other people ..its really hard for me to debate the merits of basketball with you at that point. It's hard for me not to think of you as anything other than an absolutely deplorable human being.

Why? ..I'll tell you why. It's because I have children ..and reality is as a father, I live with a pervasive fear that this could have easily been my baby shot dead in the street after his willful compliance. And that's a heartbreaking disposition to live with.

These topics for me are far too passion-inducing, because the interests of my children aren't a matter up for discussion to me. Plus I'm trying not to act like a horse's ass these days. So for peaceful coexistence with my Fanpage brethren and likewise a consummate respect for Irv ..I'll probably never revisit this topic again.

*waiving off two fingers*
oOoO...VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
shakespeare
Likes given: 0

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the fam, my brother. Teach those babies well and let them lead the way.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

Let me tell everyone a funny story: There was a guy being choked (chokehold is banned by NYPD) the police and he kept yelling to the cop that he couldn't breathe. He yelled I can't breathe, I can't breathe, I can't breathe. The cop didn't release the chokehold, though. So the guy ended up dying. If someone's breathing is obstructed over a period of time, you know, you'll die. Well anyway the medical examiner ruled the guy's death as a homicide. But guess what? The cop wasn't even indicted.

Isn't that hilarious?

http://gawker.com/killer-cop-who-choked ... 1666276406
#TeamTank
thewatcher
Likes given: 2681

Eric Garner deserved justice.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Mr. Glass
Likes given: 63

Scores from across the league:

Death 2
Humanity 0

Race Relations 0
Rage Relations 4

Blue Team 7
Other Team 0

Prejudice 10
Homogeneity 0
"I used to think drinking was bad for me, so I stopped thinking."

- Unknown
qdman

if you dont wanna get more mad then dont read this
That lack of humanity thing about at least a certain % of cops I totally agree with. They are quick to hate black people, and if you give them a reason, I'm sure they'll abuse white people too as they have many times. not trying to pander it's just apparent from the ways these pigs talk. They often seem like violent hateful people mad at the world, full of self righteousness about their duty. Eric Garner was not a fucking thug, he's immediately likable (reminds me of a certain fatass deceased comedian), and he was only selling a few 50 cent cigs to support his family in the economy that the government fucked up...wish people'd focus on the cigs a little more, such a petty crime to die over. I rightfully wanna blame executives who make these laws not foot soldiers, honestly the morons you see above are the kind of people that just blindly accepted authority from those above their whole lives. they didn't arrive at that pov by thinking for themselves.
washingtonparkjones

Grand juries are absurd - how do you ask people to determine whether a reasonable jury could convict when the grand jury hears all sorts of incompetent evidence that would be barred at trial. I apologize if the dry analysis below is offensive. I'm just looking at it like a lawyer.

What I'm trying to figure out how the bullet passed through 6'4" Michael Brown's head at a downward angle if he was standing and shot by a cop the same height shooting from chest level. I know he was supposedly "charging" toward the officer, but who lowers their head by a foot or more while running?

According to the officer, he had a scuffle with Brown in which Brown reached for his gun. A shot was fired and then Brown ran with the officer pursuing on foot. Then Brown turned around and charged.

The physical evidence backs some of it up. There was a powder burn on Brown's hand that seems to show that Brown reached for the gun, or at the very least that the first shot was fired with his hand 6-9 inches from the gun. The fact that all the hits were on his facing side says Brown turned around.

The big issue though is whether the cop shot Brown after he was kneeling with his hands up. The bullet angle seems to say yeah, so what did the the grand jury hear that I'm missing?
qdman

once when i was little I saw a bike going by and was like "i wanna race" so I ran with my head down, because it was faster to lean forward. I ran into a column because i was looking at the floor...it's possible mike was running as fast as possible like that with the crown of his head exposed. It's also possible that he was executed kneeling while looking at the floor, but I just can't imagine why anyone would lie to protect a homicidal cop, other than another cop.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

I've seen that video about 20 times. I do see Garner in a choke hold in order to be taken down and for a few seconds after that on the floor, and while I did hear the words " I cant breathe", I also see the hold was broken. The hold appeared to get broken while another officer comes over and puts his knee against Garners back and he again says he cant breath. Then he dies. Did he die as a result of those actions, I am sure of it. Was it the officers intention to kill Erik Garner. I think that's a reach. And I know this whole ' I cant breath" is the rallying cry but people who cant breath don't say they cant breath. That's just biology 101, not to mention people say that the second you come at their necks, which is why officers shouldn't use it. All I'm saying is to say that because Garner said he cant breath is the end all be all proof that the cops were trying to murder him is a broad stretch. I think the officer ut him in a lock and Garner panicked and maybe had an attack. It could've been the officers on his back and the weight of it all caused him to asphyxiate. Again, the cause.

Causality doesn't always prove motive. You see people do way more in UFC matches and if someone dies nobody assumes the opposing fighter was trying to murder the victim. None of my analysis speaks to whether or not the officers are racist, have been harassing this man or whatever. They could've been racist to the core and he lives. I just don't think a group of racist cops tried to kill him that day. I don't know the law or what lesser crime they could've received. Maybe manslaughter. They're all getting sued, that's for sure and probably lose their jobs. I just think it was an unfortunate situation. Nobody shot anyone surrendering. Garner literally in the video says he's resisting. Whether he felt he had a right to do so is something we cant know. But he did resist and officers decided to take him down. In the process he died. Shame. I didn't see weapons pulled, I didn't see batons, no punching. I did see the choke hold which I've heard is a barred move. But again, people judge crimes based on results and not the situation. He died therefore the public feels anytime someone die its murder. At one point in the whole affair a chokehold was used. I don't think the chokehold actually was the thing that killed him though. Especially since he says he cant breath after the hold was broken and another officer then had the knee in his back.

The other thing people gotta understand in a bubble is that there is no nice way to slam a huge dude to the ground and apply cuffs while he is resisting. You find me a pretty version of that scenario.
washingtonparkjones

nazrmohamed wrote:Was it the officers intention to kill Erik Garner. I think that's a reach.
There's a number of crimes that describe killing someone without intent (manslaughter, negligent homicide), and I don't think anyone is arguing that the cop was trying to kill him. The issue is the presumption by police that they can apply lethal force in situations where there is no reasonable justification for escalating to that level. When police shoot someone, they don't say "I was trying to kill him." They say "I was trying to stop him" using force that had the potential to kill, and I'm not suggesting that's a lie about the intent. The issue is the decision to use potentially lethal force.

You don't get to use potentially lethal force against a guy who is resisting arrest for a petty offense or low level misdemeanor. You take the time to wear him down by talking to him until he gives up because he's not getting away (what he going to do run? lol). You call in backup if you need to arm bar him to the ground and he's too big. You do things other than a criminally negligent act or showing reckless disregard for human life.

This idea that if anyone ever resists arrests to any degree that the police can pummel you is just wrong. Police is a tuff job and not pummeling people can be a pain in the ass, but when you are entrusted with a badge that is not a corner you get to cut.
And I know this whole ' I cant breath" is the rallying cry but people who cant breath don't say they cant breath. That's just biology 101, not to mention people say that the second you come at their necks, which is why officers shouldn't use it.
It could've been the officers on his back and the weight of it all caused him to asphyxiate.
I have to say, I am baffled by your biology lesson. Someone who asphyxiated, by definition, could not breath. He said he could not breath and then proved it by dying of a lax of oxygen.

The fact that "people say that the second you come at their necks" seems a pretty solid basis for arguing that many people experience an inability to breath when grabbed by the neck. Speaking is air leaving the lungs. Breathing is moving air in and out fast enough to keep oxygen in the blood. The fact that you can get a small breath out to say three syllables doesn't mean you are getting adequate air in and out in fast enough rotation to satisfy the body's need for air. I can recall being on the bottom of a pile on tackle as a kid and saying "I can't breath" before passing out. Pretty sure that was because I couldn't breath.
washingtonparkjones

qdman wrote:once when i was little I saw a bike going by and was like "i wanna race" so I ran with my head down, because it was faster to lean forward. I ran into a column because i was looking at the floor...it's possible mike was running as fast as possible like that with the crown of his head exposed. It's also possible that he was executed kneeling while looking at the floor, but I just can't imagine why anyone would lie to protect a homicidal cop, other than another cop.
I can see him lowering his head as he gets close, but according to the officer he was 50 ft away when he opened fire.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Yet he said he couldn't breath like three times Park. That's all Um saying. It's hard for an officer to discern whether or not he's just saying that cause he can't breathe or because it's another firm of resisting. But in any case the choke hold was broken in that video. I don't see any evidence that the officer literally choked the life out of him. What to me likely happened is what you described in your last sentence where the pile on and his own weight forced an acute asthma like attack.

You know more than any of us how the actual legal system works though. I was never trying to talk about it from a legal standpoint other than to say I don't believe it was MURDER. I don't know what lesser charge could've been brought against them.
washingtonparkjones

nazrmohamed wrote:Yet he said he couldn't breath like three times Park. That's all Um saying. It's hard for an officer to discern whether or not he's just saying that cause he can't breathe or because it's another firm of resisting. But in any case the choke hold was broken in that video. I don't see any evidence that the officer literally choked the life out of him. What to me likely happened is what you described in your last sentence where the pile on and his own weight forced an acute asthma like attack.
It is easy to discern. He died. Res ipsa loquiter

Four times, all after the hold. After the officer held that choke for about 15 sec. An eternity in circumstance where a guy his size likely didn't get a full breath to begin with. The officer jumped him and started the choke when Gardner was surprised. After a stumble, the officer rears back to set it deep and then literally rides him to the ground. That looks to be what caused the asthma attack, but the knees in his back and awkward neck angle as his head is pressed into the concrete certainly didn't help.
shakespeare

Washington (CNN) -- Congressional staffers plan to walk off their jobs Thursday afternoon to show their support for the families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner in the wake of the decision by two grand juries not to indict the police officers responsible for their deaths, according to three staffers who plan to participate in the event.
The planned walkout comes after days of protests across the country, including in Washington, D.C., where demonstrators have marched through downtown, blocking roads and bridges on an almost nightly basis since last Wednesday's decision by a grand jury in Staten Island not to indict Officer Daniel Pantaleo in the chokehold death of Garner.

"We're proud to have this moment of solidarity with the families of Michael Brown and Eric Garner and the thousands of peaceful protesters around the country who are telling this country that black lives matter," said one staffer who was helping to plan the event.

The Congressional Asian Pacific American Staff Association and the Congressional Hispanic Staff Association joined black staffers and the Congressional Black Associates in planning the event, which is set to take place at 3:30 p.m., and is expected to draw at least 50 people. A staffer who planned to attend the protest said it was important to show support across racial lines.

"I believe it's important, because what affects one community really affects the entire country," the staffer told CNN. "It's not just one group of minorities that's affected. How one group is treated affects Asians, Hispanics, women. It's important that we show our solidarity and come together and really speak out about the injustices that are being done."
The US Capitol dome is cocooned in scaffolding on October 28, 2014 in Washington, DC as it undergoes its first comprehensive repairs in more than half a century a century. The two-year, USD 60 million project is aimed at repairing nearly 1,300 cracks that have emerged in the nine-million-pound (4.1-million-kilogram) cast iron dome, according to the Architect of the Capitol (AOC) office. Construction on the dome began in 1855. Work symbolically continued through the US Civil War and the structure was eventually completed in 1866.

The group will gather in front of the Capitol and plan to take a photo at 345 p.m. U.S. Senate Chaplain Barry Black is expected to pray for the grieving families and to pray for peace.

"We're not trying to cause any type of controversy," one staffer told CNN. "We're just trying to highlight this issue, to show solidarity with people who have been affected."
Chaplain Black has drawn attention before for his topical prayers. Last year during the budget battle that shut down the government for 16 days, he opened each session with a prayer appealing the lawmakers to end the impasse.

"Obviously, there are probably some people who feel that my prayers should not have been as pointed as they were," Black told CNN's Anderson Cooper after the shutdown had ended. "My prayers simply reflect the reality of the environment that I am in."

Black could not be reached immediately reached for comment ahead of the event.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/11/politics/ ... index.html
#TeamTank
MrMajik2

Isa Soulstar wrote:You know, up until now I've deliberately steered clear of this thread, just like I did the Trayvon Martin thread; because topics like these tend to give free reign to egoist gasbags to air their closeted racist inclinations and legitimize these heinous acts of genocide committed against people of color. Thus, is the nature of the internet, right? People can act all douchy under the guise of anonymity.

Most of these completely ridiculous assertions posed in this thread are done so from the comforts of White Privilege ..and truthfully I struggle with myself to not take it so personally when I read it. I'm sure that's what Glass was getting at when he said..

..and the fact that 70% of poll respondents in this thread think Shakespeare is just tripping balls for thinking these acts are nothing short of genocide. But these same respondents who would deny Caucasoid privilege in this country, if asked whether they'd trade their White classification for black skin would answer with a resounding "No fucking way."

So half the time I don't even bother with topics like this ..most of the drivel these threads produce are misread facts, unsubstantiated rumors, and other idiocy passed off as personal opinion. Even when some folks conflate these murderous acts by police officers with black-on-black violence, I won't even dignify these people with dialog. But the idea that some are perfectly content with decriminalizing the actions of cowards who pursue law enforcement only for a legal means of killing other people ..its really hard for me to debate the merits of basketball with you at that point. It's hard for me not to think of you as anything other than an absolutely deplorable human being.

Why? ..I'll tell you why. It's because I have children ..and reality is as a father, I live with a pervasive fear that this could have easily been my baby shot dead in the street after his willful compliance. And that's a heartbreaking disposition to live with.

These topics for me are far too passion-inducing, because the interests of my children aren't a matter up for discussion to me. Plus I'm trying not to act like a horse's ass these days. So for peaceful coexistence with my Fanpage brethren and likewise a consummate respect for Irv ..I'll probably never revisit this topic again.

*waiving off two fingers*
I agree with every word written.
"Today, we celebrate not just another win vs a rival, but the end of their sadistic rule over our hopes and dreams. There is nothing left to fear. The New York Knicks are just better." - H20Knicks
shakespeare

Prosecutor Says He Knew Some Witnesses Were Lying To The Ferguson Grand Jury: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mikehayes/st-lo ... .td6G1BygK
So much for "search for justice."
#TeamTank
shakespeare

This is disturbing video of South Carolina officer shooting and killing unarmed suspect. http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/08/us/south- ... th-murder/
Then he had the audacity to handcuff him.

Of course the officer claimed the suspect took his Taser on police report, but apparently he didn't know everything was videotaped?
#TeamTank
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

sadly, more proof that cops need to have an always-on audio/video. it validates every fear of an out-of-touch, uncontrolled and brutal police mentality, not just the south.

i don't think the cop knew he was being recorded.
BXGuy
Likes given: 8

I'm against police murdering citizens, Michael Slager is a pussified penishead. But why the duck you running from the police? I'm really tired of guys risking their life against the cops. How can we give them remorse anymore if they're risking their lives doing mindless acts? Police are crazy...why even trigger them? Especially in South Carolina....where dudes join the police so they murder some minorities. I'm tired of seeing minorities die in the hands of the police....stop risking your life. Nothing will change, police will still be here enforcing whatever bs they got to enforce...just abide, survive and live the rest of your life. This system isn't going to be broken down in our lifetime to save us from this tyranny.

If you watch that video you see the 50 year old reach for something at the cop and turns his back away from him.

The fact is the cop should of been trained enough to handle that situation without a gun and without murdering him. He didn't even attempt to chase him. Just shot him in his back over 10 times.

I grew up in the hood, been arrested 5+ times and I learned the law the hard way...my best friend is an officer in Florida so I see this story from both sides.

At the end of the day, someone's son....father...brother...cousin...friend has died. This deeply affects people, society. The cop still lives to tell his story. Another loss for us.
The artist formally known as prguy.
washingtonparkjones

cragganmor wrote:sadly, more proof that cops need to have an always-on audio/video.
I'm sold at this point. Cops have lost their trust us privileges.