How Good is Philly's Okafor

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

backbiter2000
Likes given: 0

He just doesn't get much playing time and now won't get any. On the trading block and Philly has lowered their asking price to a player and a 2nd round pick. About to turn 22. Anyone get a good look at him playing??
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
KnicksRUs

Doesn't fit the mold of the type of player management is going after. Not happening.
"I hate them" - Stugotz
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 159

As much as I love a polished low-post game and buy-low moves at some point you just have to look at the roster. Stockpiling talent regardless of fit is how Philly ended up in the situation they're in now as well as getting pennies on the dollar for Noel. If he were to be the 3rd center on the roster fine but not when he'd be the 5th (with I think one we're keeping an eye on in the d-league).
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
backbiter2000

We know that some kind of trade will happen because we can't continue to carry 4 centers with a possible 5th in Westchester. We need an actual small forward. I don't see Kanter as our long term solution at center.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
Minkaveli
Likes given: 172

Could we trade Noah for him? lol
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

haha i wish

Okafor on defense reminds me of Melo..its not intent but just a lack of activity.
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 794

backbiter2000 wrote:We know that some kind of trade will happen because we can't continue to carry 4 centers with a possible 5th in Westchester. We need an actual small forward. I don't see Kanter as our long term solution at center.
Why? What is wrong with Kanter...
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
Don Che

Okafor isnt active on defense at all but it could of been his environment and is young enough to overcome it with the right situation.

I'd offer Willy/Beasley and a 2nd rounder for him because its obv Willy isnt our future center....beasley is barely in the rotation and a low pick. Ppl forget he was a franchise changing prospect and hes 21/22 years old. The only problem he had is that the next Hakeem decided to play and is the future of his position.

Okafor would start on 85% of NBA teams if he learns how to defend hes prolly top 10 center in the game.

in regards to Kanter...he has the heart and fight but if you invest big money on him your talking about investing 20+ mill on KP...18 mill on Noah and id estimate 16-10 mill a year on Kanter

and if thats the case like i mentioned in another thread you gotta ask.....can KP win big with Kanter next to him and no i dont mean next year but lets say 3 years from now...KP's prime..Frank coming into his own...does Kanter win in a playoff series?

and thats why...I think Kanter while being the man is also being allowed to show what he can do for us as well as the league. If Kanter was a prime time athlete I'd get it...Ben Wallace type of guy would fit great....if Kanter was a legit 7'1 or had a 7'4 wingspan id also get it...putting a steven adams/tyson chandler type guy next to KP would be awesome also but Kanter isnt athletic enough nor big enough to man the middle no matter how much his intent is in the right place. Defensively his ceiling(similar to Willy's) is Kurt Thomas and Kurt lived in a different NBA....in todays NBA lateral quickness or jumping out the gym is what wins games. Okafor/Willy/Kanter all have this issue actually...only difference i'd give Okafor is the fact hes a legit 6'11 and a 7'5 wingspan and is lite on his feet for his size....and also the youngest but even then....he still may never learn how to defend at a great level but I'm willing to give up 2 non rotation players and a 2nd rounder to find out.
lxn_

gotta agree with don on this one. Okafor was in a terrible situation and should be given another opportunity. He is still very young so theres a slight chance to overcome that defensive issues. He is a 270+lbs beast but is very nimble and fits well with Kps game. Id offer Willy and a 2nd round too. I dont know if theyre planning to buy noah out or something but we gotta free up some space at the frontcourt rotation.

Right now Kanter is playing great but yeah I dont see him as a long term option, might be better off as somewhat of a sixth man.
Don Che

worse case scenerio......he goes to Boston and if that happens we are screwed.

Kanter/KP will get eaten by either Embiid or Okafor..smh that cant happen
taowave
Likes given: 817

Don,why doesn't Cleveland or the Nets take a shot??

If Boston grabs him,you know he will become a beast and we will bitch the next 10 years
Don Che wrote:worse case scenerio......he goes to Boston and if that happens we are screwed.

Kanter/KP will get eaten by either Embiid or Okafor..smh that cant happen
Don Che

well...that doesnt sound good either...so a part of me ...thinks we should atleast consider it
spree#8
Likes given: 540

Okafor's value is lower than Willy's, because Willy is a much better rebounder, better than Okafor in anything than scoring per minute actually and all of that on a lower priced contract for a longer guaranteed period. So anyone who offers to include Willy hasn't really watched Okafor in the NBA so far. Kanter is better than both of them, so I don't see why the Knicks would show an interest in Okafor.

Not saying, that getting him cheap won't be a good gamble for a team, but with our glut at center I don't see any fit here. Especially because he got drafted a spot ahead of KP. That would probably haunt him in NY more than anywhere else if he doesn't turn the corner quickly.
#knickstape
Don Che

hes better than Willy man cmon now
spree#8

Don Che wrote:hes better than Willy man cmon now
He hasn't shown more promise yet. Have you watched Okafor in the NBA? Have you looked at the numbers? Willy is an elite rebounder and also a good post and roll man scorer, better passer, better in the passing lanes... He is a a first round talent, so there is no need to search for another first rounder for him or to try to retroactively trade up for Okafor, after he is a disappointment so far and Philly has trouble finding a trade. Okafor is paid 5 mill for this year and an unrestricted free agent this offseason, while Willy is still basically on a minimum salary for the next two years, so he can produce a double-double for nothing till 2020. Our guy likely has a higher trade value because of that.

Here the stats comp: https://www.basketball-reference.com/pl ... dx=players
#knickstape
taowave
Likes given: 817

What the over under on what Okafor gets paid in free agency???

You think he signs a long term deal?

He can't be worse than Biyambo and Mozgov..can he??

If you watch the best highlights of Will vs Okafor,O is much better on offense..
spree#8

taowave wrote:What the over under on what Okafor gets paid in free agency???

You think he signs a long term deal?

He can't be worse than Biyambo and Mozgov..can he??

If you watch the best highlights of Will vs Okafor,O is much better on offense..
He isn't, he is actually worse, when you look at what he has brought to the table so far. Way higher offensive rating for Hernangomez, because he scores at a higher percentage and does more well - as being said multiple times. So why would you even be interested in negotiating with Okafor and risking to a) pay him more than you want/he is worth or b) lose him this summer after just having traded for him, when you have a first-round talent in Willy locked up for peanuts till 2020? I don't get that. Okafor is a walking struggle so far and needs to get into a situation where a) a post scorer is needed and b) ideally a starting spot is open, while we have both of that covered with KP/Kanter and have another promising big in Willy.

Not interested. He might rebound and Philly and everyone who talks him down (like I am right now) might look like an idiot some day, but I just don't see that at the moment and don't think that coming to NY would help him get on track. I mean a team not picking up a fourth year option on a third pick should tell you that something's not right...
Last edited by spree#8 on November 30th, 2017, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#knickstape
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 159

spree#8 wrote:He isn't, he is actually worse, when you look at what he has brought to the table so far. Way higher offensive rating for Hernangomez, because he scores at a higher percentage and does more well - as being said multiple times. So why would you even be interested in negotiating with Okafor and risking to a) pay him more than you want/he is worth or b) lose him this summer after just having traded for him, when you have a first-round talent in Willy locked up for peanuts till 2020? I don't get that. Okafor is a walking struggle so far and needs to get into a situation where a) a post scorer is needed and b) ideally a starting spot is open, while we have both of that covered with KP/Kanter and have another promising big in Willy.

Not interested.
Willy came into the league as a second round pick and was basically an afterthought to opposing teams scouts. Okafor came into the league and scored efficiently, primarily in isolation, as a rookie when he was the center of every team's scouting report. Not saying Willy can't be better but right now Okafor has proven a lot more than Willy.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
spree#8

n8 the gr8 wrote:Willy came into the league as a second round pick and was basically an afterthought to opposing teams scouts. Okafor came into the league and scored efficiently, primarily in isolation, as a rookie when he was the center of every team's scouting report. Not saying Willy can't be better but right now Okafor has proven a lot more than Willy.
He hasn't. Watch games and look at the numbers. The only thing Okafor got on Willy is more playing time, because he was the third pick, while Willy was a second-round pick, because he was still under contract in Europe. People thought Okafor would be WAY better, but he hasn't proven it yet.
#knickstape
Don Che

I've seen Okafor in the NBA his rookie year and what i saw was a kid playing on the worse team ever and scoring efficiently and off the eye test hes bigger/stronger/more mobile than Willy and based off that i think he can fix his defensive woes with the right coach and watching us defend under Jeff ...i think we can do it.

Willy is better in a team concept but I can't really say Okafor has played in a team concept yet in the nba. I see talent you can't teach with a player that doesnt seem lazy like a Eddy Curry...he wants to be good and he wants to win...I'd give him a shot.

I think Okafor would get minutes on this team.