Page 2 of 2

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 23, 2017, 7:51 am
by taowave
I think it's one of those deals where both teams "won",though Cleveland is the clear winner..

Boston is betting that Kryie will be unstoppable against top squads in the playoffs..



Starbury3 wrote:Can someone tell me why this makes sense for the Celtics?

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 23, 2017, 8:10 am
by thewatcher
I'm glad this trade went down.
a) I won't have to watch Boston selecting first next year
b) we won't get a re-run of last year's playoffs, which was a lot like the year before. Now we have guys with chips on their shoulders.
c) The Celtics got better for the next 5 years, but perhaps worse for the 5 years after that. so the knicks window of opportunity will reopen in 5 years instead of 10.

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 23, 2017, 8:19 am
by Championship 16/17
H20Knick wrote:We all knew Jae Crowder was finished in Boston after he failed to have any impact offensively/defensively against Cleveland in the ECFs. The writing for JB to replace him was on the wall.

But it says a lot to me that Boston didn't go all in for Butler and George, but went all in for Irving. No one should know more about those guys than Boston (except maybe cleveland, who share their division). They faced Butler in the first round, they've been playing against PG for years, but they only came off all of those assets for Irving... :hmm: Part of it of course had to do with Gordon Hayward being their guy and him playing a similar position to PG and Butler, part of it had to do with taking away Lebron's clean up guy, but assuredly there are people in Boston's front heralded front office who think extremely highly of kyrie.


Exactly, Jae Crowder to me was a fill in to make salaries match. He didn't make an impact, he is equivalent to DeMar Carroll on Toronto who was traded to Brooklyn. People say how he is a great defender can hit the corner 3, he didn't do anything when it counted, he was a washed.

Also to add to the front office, they strategically didn't draft a PG but traded the pick for an extra pick and the player they wanted to select. Now the have a top 3 PG. Genius!

In my eyes, people say Irving is overrated, no Isaiah Thomas is overrated. From Cleveland s perspectives, do you pay a him max money to be the face of your franchise and pair him with Kevin Love next season. I would say that's a tough decision, there is a chance that you let him walk and start the rebuild.

Which leaves me to the 2018 pick, In my eyes that's what Boston essentially traded to get Kyrie. Now look at Brooklyn, they will be out of the top 5, I say Cavs select 6-8. Good luck!

Boston won this trade, and if you cannot see that I can't help you. You have to look deeper and also look at the last 5 transactions Ainge has done, he is winning.

Lastly, Gordon did work against Golden State last year in the playoffs, they were just a better team. He is gathering players that make an impact, and getting rid of shrubs. Also Jalen Brown is ready for prime time, watch how he starts the season. They hid him away while he was developing and featured Bradley who was never part of there future.

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 23, 2017, 10:23 am
by NewlyKnicked
H20Knick wrote:We all knew Jae Crowder was finished in Boston after he failed to have any impact offensively/defensively against Cleveland in the ECFs. The writing for JB to replace him was on the wall.

But it says a lot to me that Boston didn't go all in for Butler and George, but went all in for Irving. No one should know more about those guys than Boston (except maybe cleveland, who share their division). They faced Butler in the first round, they've been playing against PG for years, but they only came off all of those assets for Irving... :hmm: Part of it of course had to do with Gordon Hayward being their guy and him playing a similar position to PG and Butler, part of it had to do with taking away Lebron's clean up guy, but assuredly there are people in Boston's front heralded front office who think extremely highly of kyrie.


So if the guy can't defend the best player in the league, he's "finished"? I understand that you don't value Crowder's offense (even though there'd be more to say than just dismiss it blindly) but his defensive value is undeniable. Boston just has the luxury of having his second-coming next in line making him expendable, but Crowder at 27 is far from finished.

Second, the fact that the Cs missed on George and Butler may have enticed them to open the wallet this time around. I don't deny Irving is a huge asset and Ainge must think very highly of him, but I wouldn't dare to say that Danny thinks less of George and Butler.
If your point was that Irving is an awesome player, sure... but I'm still glad we kept KP :)

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 23, 2017, 10:36 am
by NewlyKnicked
Championship 16/17 wrote:Exactly, Jae Crowder to me was a fill in to make salaries match. He didn't make an impact, he is equivalent to DeMar Carroll on Toronto who was traded to Brooklyn. People say how he is a great defender can hit the corner 3, he didn't do anything when it counted, he was a washed.

Also to add to the front office, they strategically didn't draft a PG but traded the pick for an extra pick and the player they wanted to select. Now the have a top 3 PG. Genius!

In my eyes, people say Irving is overrated, no Isaiah Thomas is overrated. From Cleveland s perspectives, do you pay a him max money to be the face of your franchise and pair him with Kevin Love next season. I would say that's a tough decision, there is a chance that you let him walk and start the rebuild.

Which leaves me to the 2018 pick, In my eyes that's what Boston essentially traded to get Kyrie. Now look at Brooklyn, they will be out of the top 5, I say Cavs select 6-8. Good luck!

Boston won this trade, and if you cannot see that I can't help you. You have to look deeper and also look at the last 5 transactions Ainge has done, he is winning.

Lastly, Gordon did work against Golden State last year in the playoffs, they were just a better team. He is gathering players that make an impact, and getting rid of shrubs. Also Jalen Brown is ready for prime time, watch how he starts the season. They hid him away while he was developing and featured Bradley who was never part of there future.


So you believe losing their best player (by far) for inconsistent D'Angelo is such an upgrade? Or are you betting on Mozgov's 3 ball maybe? Is it the overpaid disappointing Crabbe? Look at the Net's big men. They'll be bottom 5 no sweat

I agree Ainge has been pretty successful in his past trades, but it doesn't mean he shits gold every morning. Nobody's perfect, and this trade is not an overwhelming win for the Cs

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 23, 2017, 11:18 am
by Championship 16/17
NewlyKnicked wrote:
So you believe losing their best player (by far) for inconsistent D'Angelo is such an upgrade? Or are you betting on Mozgov's 3 ball maybe? Is it the overpaid disappointing Crabbe? Look at the Net's big men. They'll be bottom 5 no sweat

I agree Ainge has been pretty successful in his past trades, but it doesn't mean he shits gold every morning. Nobody's perfect, and this trade is not an overwhelming win for the Cs


Wow, you like to twist things.

This what I'm saying, the Brooklyn Nets will be a terrible team, but they won't be top 5 at the bottom. I'm predicting that the Cavs select between 6-8 in the 2018 Draft.

Also nobody said this was an overwhelming win for Boston, I'm staying they simply one this trade. If LeBron leaves, they are not resigning a 30 year old PG to lead there franchise. This is a one year rental, and the pick will be lowered than people think. This trade ensures Lebron stays competitive and this is not a wasted season, and they start rebuild with the pick.

Can anyone name me 5 teams worse than Brooklyn next season, let's make this interesting :D

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 24, 2017, 2:48 am
by NewlyKnicked
What did I twist? You say Brooklyn will be 6-8 from the bottom, I say they are surefire bottom 5.

At the Nets level, you find the Bulls and the Hawks. Then because they're in the West you can add Phoenix and probably Sacramento. Can't count on the 76ers anymore. So that's 5 teams competing for the bottom (or the top of the lottery if you're an optimistic).

Then in the next tier, I'd put the Pacers, the Magic, Detroit, the Lakers and us.

Wow does the east suck... :blink:

As for the Kyrie deal, my opinion is that the deal is fair and interesting for both teams really, but, considering their chaotic situation and the pressure they were under, it's more amazing for the Cavs and Altman.

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 25, 2017, 4:12 am
by Rusty La Rue
There are way to many IFs to determine who won this trade... I mean if the pick ends up being the 1st pick and then Kyrie bolts the Celtics a year after that without getting them to the final then it is a sure win for the Cavs... but then again the pick could end up being not as high and Isiah could end up leaving in a year then the Celtics would look as the winners of the trade...

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 25, 2017, 10:49 pm
by ISIAH_THOMAS
Via Woj deal could be voided. Sources: After Isaiah Thomas underwent physical today, Cavs still evaluating injured hip and weighing options w/ completion of Irving deal.

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 31, 2017, 7:54 am
by taowave
Done deal.. Boston threw in a second rounder...

Ainge is a really good GM...IT is going to rehab for a good while hoping that works,and will most likely need surgery.

IT can't afford to lose one ounce of quickness/athleticism,and Ainge knows it..

Cle will be a mess and Bos will be the team to beat in the East.Maybe not this year,but the end is near for Cle

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: August 31, 2017, 4:12 pm
by ISIAH_THOMAS
Cavs wanted bk pick to rebuild

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: September 1, 2017, 7:18 pm
by Stressin
Championship 16/17 wrote:Wow, you like to twist things.

This what I'm saying, the Brooklyn Nets will be a terrible team, but they won't be top 5 at the bottom. I'm predicting that the Cavs select between 6-8 in the 2018 Draft.

Also nobody said this was an overwhelming win for Boston, I'm staying they simply one this trade. If LeBron leaves, they are not resigning a 30 year old PG to lead there franchise. This is a one year rental, and the pick will be lowered than people think. This trade ensures Lebron stays competitive and this is not a wasted season, and they start rebuild with the pick.

Can anyone name me 5 teams worse than Brooklyn next season, let's make this interesting :D


The answer to ur question is Dolan/Mills/Hornacek/Rambis Knicks!

Boston will be missing the outstanding performance of the best tandem-backcourt (IT and Bradley) in the Eastern Conference last season. How n why Boston management decided to break-up the dynamic trio of same-page guards Smart/Bradley/IT who kept chemistry in the team rotation throughout every game .. plus Boston management expect to have a better season than last season .. i doubt thats gonna happen.

The Boston trade has probably got Lebron thinking bout staying in Cleveland the next 4 years.
I would'nt sleep on IT hip problem, and I wouldnt sleep on Crowder getting on the same-page in the frontcourt rotation of Lebron/Love/Triston/and Jefferson to keep the Cavs defense up to par.
Lebron may play a major part in the Cavs decision-making in next year draft night .. if the Cavs dont trade the Nets pick for ....

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: September 4, 2017, 11:11 am
by gradyandrew
It's a head scratcher. Thomas and Bradley was just a great story of friends who complimented each other and got to be starting next to each other in the NBA. Considering last season and their still cheap contracts, why not keep the same crew and add a win now player.

Instead it's a whole new play with Kyrie as the star. That's the reason he wanted out of Cleveland, and its tough to imagine Kyrie deferring to Howard or Brad Stevens if he chafed at working in Lebrons shadow.

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 5:59 am
by nazrmohamed
gradyandrew wrote:It's a head scratcher. Thomas and Bradley was just a great story of friends who complimented each other and got to be starting next to each other in the NBA. Considering last season and their still cheap contracts, why not keep the same crew and add a win now player.

Instead it's a whole new play with Kyrie as the star. That's the reason he wanted out of Cleveland, and its tough to imagine Kyrie deferring to Howard or Brad Stevens if he chafed at working in Lebrons shadow.


Cuz they maybe had one more season to squeeze out of it. First that same crew all needed to get paid, so it actually gets more expensive to have the same familiarity and almost infinitley they wouldn't beat the Cavs. Second and more within that explanation, itd become more expensive while the star player in that crew (the Celtics are essentially a team of role players) is turning 30 soon, is 5'10 and is hurt. I gotta feel like Ainge knew isiah would start the path toward cronic injury and hoped he wouldn't get caught. He did and it cost him but in hindsight not much.

Im not a huge fan of Kyrie but if you are then all the reasons why Kyrie made sense for the knicks actually make sense in Boston. It never made sense here. Bostons on a contending tragectory with young but established players who could be together for a decade.

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 5:28 pm
by Koopa Troopa
I just wanna say this now, I got the Wiz over Boston this year.

I think that first deal they made getting rid of Bradley was terrible. Now yeah Kyrie is great, but Boston has no defense anymore. Good luck with that.

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: September 8, 2017, 4:07 am
by NewlyKnicked
Interesting piece: https://www.si.com/nba/2017/09/06/kyrie ... homas-cavs

Best part is at the end of the article:
"At the end of the Nets Pick Era, all of our hypothetical Celtics rosters were irrelevant, and real life was more complicated than the trade machine. Isaiah Thomas was hurt. Paul George wanted to play in LA. Jimmy Butler and Gordon Hayward were an awkward fit. Kristaps Porzingis wasn't available, and Anthony Davis won't be available for another year or two. It didn't matter whether buying into Kyrie's potential was actually Boston's best option. It was the only option. "

Re: KYRIE TO THE Celtics

PostPosted: September 8, 2017, 12:01 pm
by spree#8
Koopa Troopa wrote:I just wanna say this now, I got the Wiz over Boston this year.

I think that first deal they made getting rid of Bradley was terrible. Now yeah Kyrie is great, but Boston has no defense anymore. Good luck with that.


Good luck with your bet. ;)