2017 NBA trade rumors (3 team deal Cavs, Kings, and Utah)

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2017 NBA trade rumors (Blake Griffin traded to the Pistons)

Postby spree#8 » February 5, 2018, 3:43 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:
Hmm would you trade your first rounder for him? Y'all don't wanna tank anyway so for me the answer would be yes. 18&8 athletic and can now spread the floor. You put him with KP after he hits them steroids this summer :hmm:
Could make it top 3 protected

It's where this league is going.

I don't think I would go for Gordon. Doesn't look strategically right. We have a top ten pick and need guys on rookie contracts. Ideally you want to pick up a great talent in this draft, don't sign anyone to outrageous contracts in free agency, improve, resign KP and then have some money in free agency to add someone to our improving core. If you trade for Gordon (who of course would fit just fine from a player standpoint), you have to resign him this summer, so you end up with one talented player less, because you don't have that guy on a rookie contract and don't have money after resigning KP.

Also: no one is against tanking. We just had a philosophical discussion whether that is our only way forward and whether a pick in the range 6-15 would be so bad instead.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » February 6, 2018, 10:15 am

Spree,I'm really surprised you wouldn't trade a 8-12 pick for Gordon
taowave

Postby spree#8 » February 6, 2018, 2:49 pm

taowave wrote:Spree,I'm really surprised you wouldn't trade a 8-12 pick for Gordon

Why? That doesn't fit at all in our strategic plan. We need players on rookie contracts now, not players coming off who want to get paid. Same player on a 4-year rookie contract is interesting - which we may get with that pick. It's a pretty simple team building rule for the status we are in.

Ideally I want to go into the summer of 2019 (when we have to extend KP) with at least two starter caliber players out of Ntilikina and our 2018 and 2019 first round picks. All three still being on their rookie deals in the summers of 2019 and 2020 should open up possibilities for us to add to the core of KP, those 3, THJ and likely one of Kanter/O'Quinn/Hernangomez, while also keeping/adding good bench players.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby StevoStarks » February 6, 2018, 3:00 pm

I think Gordon is all highlights, not a championship piece. I would not trade for him.

And definitely not now that his rookie deal is up.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby spree#8 » February 6, 2018, 3:06 pm

taowave wrote:Spree,I'm really surprised you wouldn't trade a 8-12 pick for Gordon

Also: did you forget that there may not be anyone else who values first rounders more than me? In all my strategic posts I argue against trading first-rounders unless you are good and do it in a trade for a superstar, so I'm really surprised that you don't remind that.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » February 6, 2018, 5:24 pm

Right now,we have the 12th pick..Gordon is only 22..Hes really really good,and arguably better than KP,other than from deep and rim protection.They could be formidable

I do get it if you are thinking we can sign a really good FA and grab talent at 12..
taowave

Postby spree#8 » February 6, 2018, 5:47 pm

We are already in 10th position, not 12th, but that is besides the point, that you need a talent like Gordon on a 4 year rookie contract instead of at a time where his current team fears an Otto Porter offer sheet. Not the way to build...
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » February 6, 2018, 6:09 pm

And we will be the one offering that Otto Porter deal,which is far better than A THJr deal..

He will be good as it gets...

You are making 2 lower probability bets..

More importantly,Gordon is untouchable..He is their KP,.

I don't think you would trade KP for the 10th pick..
taowave

Postby spree#8 » February 6, 2018, 6:24 pm

No. I have a clear plan, while you would cap us out way too early in our development cycle. I'm also a bit worried how you value players. Porter is getting superstar money, while THJ gets starter money. Gordon is also not worth the max. But again: if you don't understand that you get the best value on rookie deals, this will only go in circles, so I'm out of this.

The production/money-ratio is the important part and there is nothing else to add for me.

BTW: this is highly hypothetical because I agree that the Magic would likely ask for more.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby taowave » February 6, 2018, 7:07 pm

Spree,Good luck with crappy first rounders and 2 nd rounders. I'll personally welcome us to the eternal land of mediocrity...

I am with you only if we get a top 7 pick.

And yes,there isn't a snowball chance in hell Gordon could be had for the 10- 15 pick...

spree#8 wrote:No. I have a clear plan, while you would cap us out way too early in our development cycle. I'm also a bit worried how you value players. Porter is getting superstar money, while THJ gets starter money. Gordon is also not worth the max. But again: if you don't understand that you get the best value on rookie deals, this will only go in circles, so I'm out of this.

The production/money-ratio is the important part and there is nothing else to add for me.

BTW: this is highly hypothetical because I agree that the Magic would likely ask for more.
taowave

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » February 8, 2018, 1:08 pm

NKN: Lakers sending Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance to the Cavaliers, league source tells ESPN.

Cleveland is sending Isaiah Thomas, their own 2018 1st protected pick and Channing Frye to the Lakers for Clarkson and Nance, league source tells ESPN.
Last edited by Boston_PuppyDawg on February 8, 2018, 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Re: 2017 NBA trade rumors (Larry Nance and Clarkson traded to Cavs)

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » February 8, 2018, 1:10 pm

The Hawks are sending forward Luke Babbitt to the Heat for forward Omari White sources said.
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby StevoStarks » February 8, 2018, 1:47 pm

At least we're not Laker fans. What the hell are they doing?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby spree#8 » February 8, 2018, 1:56 pm

StevoStarks wrote:At least we're not Laker fans. What the hell are they doing?

They got a 1st round pick for clearing cap space if they don't want IT long term. This deal is not bad for them. The last time they cleared cap space, they send Russell out with their Noah contract. Not sure why they don't like Clarkson though. And I'm also not sure what they want with cap space while they are this bad. Maybe they think being the Lakers is enough (again).
Last edited by spree#8 on February 8, 2018, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby StevoStarks » February 8, 2018, 1:56 pm

- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby StevoStarks » February 8, 2018, 1:59 pm

spree#8 wrote:They got a 1st round pick for clearing cap space if they don't want IT long term. This deal is not bad for them. The last time they cleared cap space, they send Russell out with their Noah contract. Not sure why they don't like Clarkson though.

I think Clarkson is severely underrated and this team was starting to gel. Clarkson has the ability to take over games at times. And Nance was a big part of it as well. And now you've got IT and Ball in the backcourt? Who is bringing the ball up? Who is guarding who? And that 1st round pick is going to be #28.

Feels like Magic got seduced by the IT acquisition and rushed this through. Don't like this trade.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby H20Knick » February 8, 2018, 2:02 pm

This trade makes no sense for either team. IT had a much better shot at giving you the puncher's chance at a title. Clarkson is a better choice long term, which made great sense for the team thats supposed to be rebuilding.

I really feel like magic realized his best shot at getting Lebron was to make sure Lebron didn't win it all this year... so he took away the only healthy guy left capable of generating reliable points on his team lol
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Doncic express!
H20Knick

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » February 8, 2018, 2:03 pm

Utah will also send Joe Johnson to Sacramento, and Cleveland will send Jae Crowder and Derek Rose to Utah, league sources tell ESPN. Sacramento sends George Hill to the Cavs.

Utah has traded Rodney Hood to Cleveland, league source tells ESPN.

Cleveland sends Iman Shumpert to Kings in deal, league source tells ESPN.
Boston_PuppyDawg

Re: 2017 NBA trade rumors (3 team deal Cavs, Kings, and Utah)

Postby StevoStarks » February 8, 2018, 2:05 pm

Now that trade makes sense for Cleveland.

They have a solid 2 way PG in Hill and a guy who stretches the floor in Hood. Plus, they get rid of garbage ass Shumpert.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Re: 2017 NBA trade rumors (3 team deal Cavs, Kings, and Utah)

Postby dcapodic » February 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

StevoStarks wrote:Now that trade makes sense for Cleveland.

They have a solid 2 way PG in Hill and a guy who stretches the floor in Hood. Plus, they get rid of garbage ass Shumpert.

Stevo, you are all over this.

So agree with you about Clarkson being underrated by LA. All of a sudden, Cle has retooled and gotten much more quality for basically loose ends.
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

PreviousNext

Return to NBA