2017 NBA Playoffs

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Koopa Troopa
Likes given: 0

spree#8 wrote:What the Cavs and the rest of the league and many fans should ask themselves instead of saying "muahh, they have so much firepower" is why are the Warriors this good? I said it last year - when it was more true without KD - that the Warriors have no business being so much better than anyone else from a raw talent standpoint. Is KD better than LeBron? Nope. Is Curry much better than Irving? I guess most would also say nope. Is Thompson better than Love? Are the Cavs big three way worse than the Warriors big three? Should a supporting cast that had to replace six rotation players to get KD be better than the Cavs one with seven players in addition to the top three returning from the championship year?

I might write a longer piece about the Warriors if I find the time, but the short answer to the first question is that the Warriors are the best team in the league for the last three years, because they are playing the game of basketball way better than anyone else. They share the ball better than anyone else. They believe in each other better than anyone else. They focus on the right balance between high-energy offense and defense. That's why they are good for the game and the league because every team not named the Spurs can learn so much from them about team play and selflessness. Just one stat that stands out from the finals: 29.4 assists per game for the Warriors vs. 21.6 for the Cavs.

No one should feel sorry for the rest of the league. They have to become better. The Cavs could have enough to beat the Warriors, but may have to think about their style of play, their coaching, their supporting cast etc.

Also one thought to KD joining the Warriors: I think he has every right to come to the conclusion he came to and it has something to do with how we all view the game of basketball. Sure, he could've stayed in Oklahoma his whole career to win his one championship for the team that drafted him, like Dirk did with the Mavs. Would I rate that championship as a higher accomplishment than this one with the Warriors? Sure.

But if he wins three or four with the Warriors instead? We always take into account how many championships a player won when discussing the all-time greats and we are all witnessing right now before our eyes that that can be misleading. BTW: that's probably another great thing for the game. LeBron isn't any worse just because he is now 3-5 in the Finals, yet everyone will bring that up when arguing between him and the former greats. So if Durant can win three or four championships with the Warriors he will individually be the same player that he would be if he would win one or none with the Thunder, but history will look totally different at him. You just saw that he is not that much worse than LeBron, so how can you fault him at this point in his career - when he lost his belief in the Thunder organization - that he would rather lead a team to glory if he can? He isn't just one player hopping on the train, he is one driving the train together with Curry.

Edit: in the longer piece I would also go into some detail what other teams could learn from how the Warriors were build.
Cavs needed Shane Battier. Nobody on that team was taking a charge. Guys like Shump needed to step up. Stop swiping and fouling!

And yeah look if the Cavs won game 3 things may have gone differently. They threw that one away in my opinion.

Not interested in hearing the super team talk and criticizing Durant. All silly to me.
nbafreak724

KD had the right to do whatever he wanted last offseason. And he chose to ditch the Thunder and join the 73 win team Warriors. Fine, that was his decision. And the majority of fans, including myself, was disappointed with this decision because we felt it was a cop-out, and that it was diluting the league. Which in a way makes his decision seem a bit commendable, because he knew he was gonna get a ton of hate for the move, but he did it anyway because that's what he felt was best for him to grow as a player. KD and the Warriors didn't break any rules, everything they did in the off season was obviously legal.

That being said though, just because the move happened and the Warriors became this powerhouse team, doesn't mean we as fans aren't allowed to be upset with it. We have the right and reason to be upset with the move. As a diehard NBA fan for 20 years, it was hard for me to even tune in to a lot of the playoff games this year because let's be honest, we all knew what was going to happen anyway. Fans of the game want to see fierce competition between several different teams. We lose interest if it's just one team dominating over the rest. We want some mystery, we want the playoffs to be an exciting time where we're on the edge of the seats wondering who's going to win it all. We dont want it to be already decided before the playoffs even begin. And that's what the KD move did imo. It took out the drama. Of course people are going to tune in regardless, it's not really about the ratings. I think basketball is the best sport in the world and I'm always defending it to my friends who try to claim the NFL, MLB, and NHL(lol) are better leagues. But now with this monstrous Warriors team expected to be favorites for the next 4-5 years, its hard to make a case for a league where, barring any major moves or injuries, the 2018 champion has already been crowned.

So KD jumped ship, went to the Warriors and won a title. He joined that team with one goal in the offseason and he accomplished that as the main piece. Cool. Good for him. But us fans should be allowed to feel angry about that decision. We're fans. That's what we are supposed to do. They're multimillionaires playing basketball for a living. We're just 9-5 simpletons who watch sports for fun. I could give a shit if KD going to GS is better for his career/life. I dont really care about him. I care about the sport more. We can be angry with his decision if we feel like it takes the fun out of watching ball. Who are you to tell us how to feel about it?

Fuck KD.
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
Koopa Troopa

At the end of the day they somehow managed to make that team under the NBAs salary cap. KD didnt take a pay cut. He made 26+ million this year. Im gonna assume it has a lot to do with the fact that they drafted Curry Thompson and Green (who was a second round pick) which isnt something to be mad at.

We might be able to argue though that the NBA has increased the cap too high. :hmm:

Despite all the complaints of fans the NBA did great ratings this year. I watched more playoffs this year than in previous years. Ya know I even had picked the Spurs over the Warriors. The Spurs won 61 games, wasnt like they were supposed to be an easy win......If theres anyone on the Warriors to be mad at its probably Zaza.
StevoStarks
Likes given: 9

Maybe the Spurs will trade Kawhi to the Cavs for Shumpert so we can have 2 super duper teams in each conference and can watch the Cavs vs Warriors for the next 6 years.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
Koopa Troopa

Warriors gonna have to make some decisions in the coming seasons though. GOnna be really hard to keep all 4 stars. Lot of sacrifices will need to be made. Right now Curry is only making 12 mil and Klay and Green less. So either they somehow manage to keep all 4 and their bench turns to trash, or one or two guys will leave.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

[youtube]32zgkcybr-A[/youtube]