Lebron James all time rank?

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

All time rank for Lebon after this series win?

GOAT
10%
TOP 3
30%
TOP 5
40%
TOP 10
20%

Total votes : 10

Re: Lebron James all time rank?

Postby shakespeare » June 1, 2018, 10:08 pm

I could be wrong but I don’t think Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle ever reached the Finals again after losses to Bulls. Utah did. I give Chicago a lot of credit for defeating Utah the second time, cause I truly believed they were poised to drop Chicago.

If you ask me, the toughest opponents Jordan faced after Celtics and Pistons dynasty were aged was New York. And that’s why I give him all the credit in the world cause he singlehandedly beat some really, really good Knick defensive teams.

Meanwhile, LeBron stay facing these Dynasty teams in the Finals, except Dallas.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby StevoStarks » June 4, 2018, 12:39 pm

StevoStarks wrote:All time:

1. Jordan
2. James
3. Jabbar
4. Shaq
5. Magic / Duncan?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Mike1989 » June 4, 2018, 3:13 pm

The issue I have with these type of threads is that there is really no right or wrong answer. LeBron James is clearly one of the best players of all time, but so was Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, and countless other players. The problem with comparing LeBron to Jordan is that both players played in different eras. Imagine LeBron complaining about some of the stuff he takes in today's game in the 1990s or 1980s, I would argue he would get called soft and told to "man up". Now I don't think LeBron is soft and I suspect he could adapt to the difference in playing style and still be one of the best in the league, but by that same notion imagine what Michael Jordan, Kareem, Magic, Russell, Chamberlain, Bird, Olajuwon, Barkley (etc) could all do in today's NBA which often protects its players to a far greater degree than they did in the 1990s, 1980s and so on. If Jordan could average well over 30 points per game from the late 80s to early 90s, it is scary to think what he could do in today's NBA.

At the end of the day there have been many great players and I honestly think it is difficult to talk about them as a collective because of the difference in playing styles. The majority of basketball fans rave about Stephen Curry, but imagine how he would have fared in the 1990s or the 1980s, I would argue he might not have been as successful because they would have been able to be more physical with him, and there are certain things that you could get away with back then that would get called today. So as good as Curry is today, he might not have been as good twenty or thirty years ago, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Curry is a great player. For me we should talk about these players with their contemporaries rather than the people that came before or after them because of the differences in the playing styles.

For me, LeBron is one of the best of all time and I have no issue with people arguing he's better than Jordan, and conversely I have no issue with people arguing Jordan was better than LeBron. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and frankly whether you pick LeBron or Jordan to build your fantasy team around doesn't matter because either way you are getting a great player. I'd take Michael Jordan at a push because if he could replicate what he did in his career in the current era, he would be the best player in the league, and if he started hitting three pointers at a regular clip then good luck stopping that guy.
Last edited by Mike1989 on June 4, 2018, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike1989

Postby shakespeare » June 4, 2018, 5:45 pm

Good post, Mike.

Thanks for lending your thoughts to the conversation.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » June 4, 2018, 5:47 pm

Stevo, you rank Shaquille O’Neal as the 4th best player of All-Time?
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby taowave » June 4, 2018, 6:57 pm

I don't know how Wilt can be left off the list
taowave

Postby StevoStarks » June 4, 2018, 7:36 pm

shakespeare wrote:Stevo, you rank Shaquille O’Neal as the 4th best player of All-Time?

I went with rings and dominance. Wilt was Wilt, but wasn't he a man among boys? As in, the competition wasn't as fierce as some of the other legends? Shaq was just insanely dominant. Unstoppable, except to Hakeem and played in an era dominated by centers.

Like Mike was saying, I think, it's so hard to dice this up. I wasn't watching basketball when Bob Cousy, John Havlicek, Wilt Chamberlain, etc were playing so I can't speak as well to them. I'm sure some older guys have a totally different take. As well as younger guys.

So subjective.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby dcapodic » July 29, 2018, 9:24 am

I am not sure in what thread all of the chatter happened about today's athlete versus athlete's of "yesteryear" but I ran across this and it does a much better job of hitting the points I was trying to make. The human body has not evolved much in the past 100 years :) When you equate the other factors; technological advances, social advances, etc. it's basically the same athlete and performance as it was back in the day. Are today's "athlete's" better? Well yea, but for factors beyond things like just basic training, etc. This is why, if you want to compare an athlete from years ago aka Wilt it can be a very fair comparison. He, like many other athletes such as mentioned in this video, were just ahead of their time in competetive capacity. Now, imagine....if you even consider a guy like Wilt in the conversation for GOAT (like most do) and now, you give him all of the advantages of today's game versus the play in his time, (canvas shoes (shout out to cheftom), plane travel, less physical play, etc) there would be no discussion. Just some food for thought....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8COaMKbNrX0
- Thanasis Antetokounmpo spelled backwards is Opmnuokotetna (which is Swahili for Hand Sanitizer). Mr. Glass, circa 2014
dcapodic

Previous

Return to NBA