Where did all these young, promising centers come from all of a sudden?

Discuss matters related to other teams, players, and/or the league in general.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Where did all these young, promising centers come from all of a sudden?

Postby cragganmor » February 12, 2015, 8:46 pm

i thought kanter was one of those guys that are defensive liabilities, but i haven't seen him play much. he's definitely undersized at 6'9" to play the 5, but is he quick and skilled enough to be a 4? these days, pf's are just longer/taller sf's.
cragganmor

Postby Mr3037 » February 12, 2015, 9:05 pm

cragganmor wrote:i thought kanter was one of those guys that are defensive liabilities, but i haven't seen him play much. he's definitely undersized at 6'9" to play the 5, but is he quick and skilled enough to be a 4? these days, pf's are just longer/taller sf's.

6'9"??

Height: 6'11''/ 2.11m

Weight: 245 lbs./ 111.1 kg
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby cragganmor » February 12, 2015, 9:58 pm

my bad, he has the height to play the pivot. i don't particularly remember anything remarkable in the few jazz games that i've watched. has he improved defensively, can hit from midrange and is he a good passer?
cragganmor

Postby Mr3037 » February 12, 2015, 11:04 pm

He's more of a traditional 5 doing his best work close to the basket but can hit the elbow jumper although that would be his limit.

TBH I cant say I noticed his passing but from the Utah games I have watched he's been good at reading the play, especially offensively as he gets a lot of O boards and makes good cuts to the hoop.
His D is also solid.

For the price I think he's a good pickup, if we can somehow get him.

Like if you believe Okafor or Towns is going to the the next Admiral, ok then wait till the Draft before you address the C position. If not you have a guy that has an NBA ready body, shown he can perform in this league and at a decent price.

Anyway, chances of him getting to NY are slim.....but 1 can hope I guess.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

26 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
Mr3037

Postby Don Che » February 13, 2015, 8:52 am

Why can't Towns and Kanter play together?
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » February 13, 2015, 1:34 pm

Don Che wrote:Why can't Towns and Kanter play together?
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby shakespeare » March 3, 2015, 1:41 pm

Whiteside dunked on Alex Len last night and scuffle ensued. http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=124115 ... tscenterTW

Utah's Rudy Gobert then tweeted Whiteside better have 99 in the tackle category. http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/03/03 ... -alex-len/
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby H20Knick » March 3, 2015, 1:46 pm

Kanter/Okafor doesn't work because neither want to protect the paint

Towns could be Kanter's help. It's not a terrible option. I'd rather pair Towns with a versatile stud PF or Melo though
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby StevoStarks » March 3, 2015, 3:31 pm

H20Knick wrote:Kanter/Okafor doesn't work because neither want to protect the paint

Towns could be Kanter's help. It's not a terrible option. I'd rather pair Towns with a versatile stud PF or Melo though

Towns / Melo / Tobias Harris?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » March 3, 2015, 5:25 pm

^^^^^^ what you're basically doing I'd putting the entire weight of our defense on a 19yr old rookie. Great recipe for us all to call him a bust after his first season. Not fair.

Second Towns is a PF folks. I haven't campaigned for this guy all season so that he can play outta position. Can he play some C? Yeah, just like Pau Gasol can play some C. You figure that out. If you want him is to play PF next to a post heavy C and preferably not strictly so he can play defense while your other big doesn't. We shouldnt be looking at any players who don't play defense to be honest.

If I do put him at C it's next to a real grinder at PF like a Milsap or West. I might accept Melo at the four, actually I love Melo at the four but with an entire perimeter that's good at defense and I mean elite. For ex. Beverley/Middleton/Green/Melo/Towns but still id rather use Towns on offense in the same areas that Bargnani operates at PF.

Towns woulda been awesome at PF sandwiched between Melo and Tyson. Shit, if Phil didn't imply that Tyson was a cancer I might even try to resign him back.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby StevoStarks » March 3, 2015, 6:24 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:^^^^^^ what you're basically doing I'd putting the entire weight of our defense on a 19yr old rookie. Great recipe for us all to call him a bust after his first season. Not fair.

Second Towns is a PF folks. I haven't campaigned for this guy all season so that he can play outta position. Can he play some C? Yeah, just like Pau Gasol can play some C. You figure that out. If you want him is to play PF next to a post heavy C and preferably not strictly so he can play defense while your other big doesn't. We shouldnt be looking at any players who don't play defense to be honest.

If I do put him at C it's next to a real grinder at PF like a Milsap or West. I might accept Melo at the four, actually I love Melo at the four but with an entire perimeter that's good at defense and I mean elite. For ex. Beverley/Middleton/Green/Melo/Towns but still id rather use Towns on offense in the same areas that Bargnani operates at PF.

Towns woulda been awesome at PF sandwiched between Melo and Tyson. Shit, if Phil didn't imply that Tyson was a cancer I might even try to resign him back.

This is good stuff because I've never seen Towns play a second of hoops. I don't even know what he looks like. I just read what you guys say and I feel like I hear that he has very little offensive game, but strong on defense.

Either way, I have to admit that I don't care what happens as long as something happens, and it makes sense. There is a well thought out plan in place. I'm not a basketball genius, but I know the pieces have to fit. So however Phil decides to spend money, I want it to be clear what he is trying to do.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby shakespeare » March 5, 2015, 12:31 pm

Whiteside grabbed 25 rebounds last night.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby StevoStarks » March 5, 2015, 1:53 pm

shakespeare wrote:Whiteside grabbed 25 rebounds last night.

DAMMIT. Why don't we have a Whiteside type player on our team?

Are the CHeat going to run in to the same problem we had with Lin and have to overpay just to keep him? Although, I'm not sure there's a world where you are overpaying a guy that rebounds and plays defense like Whiteside.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby H20Knick » March 5, 2015, 2:31 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:^^^^^^ what you're basically doing I'd putting the entire weight of our defense on a 19yr old rookie. Great recipe for us all to call him a bust after his first season. Not fair.

Towns is going to be 7'0 260 by the time he suits up next fall. Phil would probably be the only guy in the NBA trying to have him play PF. I don't think Harris is a poor defender. Melo can cover his own man just fine. Harris can cover his own man just find. If we get a plus defender at SG, then Towns will only be at the mercy of whatever PG just ran by Jose Calderon for the next 2 years. No one will label him a bust. He'll be just fine. I actually believe he can handle it. Harris certainly isnt my first choice. But if I got a chance at Leonard/Melo/Towns or Melo/Millsap/Towns i'm playing Towns at C. If we strike out on the top guys at 3/4 and Lopez makes himself available for cheap then fine.. Towns can play PF
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby big_j_NY » March 5, 2015, 9:10 pm

shakespeare wrote:Whiteside grabbed 25 rebounds last night.

Yes, the t-shirt is real
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby shakespeare » March 5, 2015, 9:17 pm

That shirt is Boss.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby n8 the gr8 » March 6, 2015, 4:12 pm

Galloway made a joke about 2k as well. Do these guys in the NBA actually play 2k during the season? I always think of videogames as sort of escapist, I can't imagine playing a videogame about what I do for a living.
Trust Gaines
Doncic 2018
n8 the gr8

Postby big_j_NY » March 6, 2015, 4:36 pm

n8 the gr8 wrote:Galloway made a joke about 2k as well. Do these guys in the NBA actually play 2k during the season? I always think of videogames as sort of escapist, I can't imagine playing a videogame about what I do for a living.

Durant is a 2K gamer, he mentioned it many times during his interviews about him being the new cover player for 2K15.

A good number of the younger generation guys do play 2K
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby DolanCurse2001 » March 6, 2015, 4:47 pm

Durant also dates that hot 2K girl ...

DolanCurse2001

Postby shakespeare » March 10, 2015, 1:39 pm

Is Hassan Whiteside crazy? What in the world was he thinking? This is the NBA this isn't the Bush League. I expect at least a 2 game suspension.

https://vine.co/v/OEEhbF2KEaQ

Dwyane Wade ‘very’ disappointed in Hassan Whiteside after ejection vs. Celtics. http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/ ... s-celtics/

Shortly after Whiteside’s ejection, Udonis Haslem (he was out with multiple injuries) stormed from the bench to the locker room. It is unknown why he went back there, but there is one obvious possibility.

Miami coach Erik Spoelstra, who appears to have been very patient with Whiteside since the team signed him early in the season, was clearly angrier about what happened Monday than Whiteside’s previous ejection.

Dwyane Wade went so far as to say there is nothing left for the veterans to tell Whiteside at this point. He has to figure this out himself.

Is Wade disappointed?

“Very,” he said. “We all are. As a Heat fan you are. In this locker room we are. Everybody. He’s gonna have to learn and he’s gonna learn the hard way. He’s doing it his own way. Hopefully he changes his mentality pretty quick.”
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

PreviousNext

Return to NBA