Isiah eyes Johan Petro

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Isiah eyes Johan Petro

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » February 8, 2005, 3:10 pm

Isiah eyes Petro

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

SALT LAKE CITY - Isiah Thomas scouted Frenchman Johan Petro in Treviso, Italy, over the weekend, according to the Web site FIBA.com. Petro is projected as a first-round pick.
The last time the Knicks drafted a French national in the first round was in 1999, when Frederic Weis was selected with the 15th pick, with Ron Artest still on the board. After one week of practices with Jeff Van Gundy in the summer, then getting dunked on by Vince Carter at the 2000 Olympics, Weis decided to remain in Europe.

Thomas also scouted Italian point guard Massimo Bulleri, who was on the team that beat the USA in a pre-Olympic exhibition game.

BUSS STOP: One coaching rumor floating around Salt Lake City doesn't involve the Knicks or even Phil Jackson. There are whispers that former University of Utah coach Rick Majerus could end up at Indiana if the school decides to fire Mike Davis after the season.

Several years ago, Thomas' name surfaced as a coaching candidate at Indiana, his alma mater, but if he ever coaches again he would prefer to remain in the NBA.

As for Jackson, the hysteria surrounding his availability is reaching absurd levels. One paper actually quoted Jackson's girlfriend, Jeanie Buss, the daughter of Lakers owner Jerry Buss and the team's vice president of business operations, as saying that she is impressed with the Knicks' talent. Seriously.

"I like the New York roster," Buss said. "If there were changes to be made, even though they are over the cap, there's a way to do something. I see that as an attractive thing."

What's next? The Laker Girls sizing up the Knicks' prospects for the draft?
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby knicksfan10 » February 8, 2005, 4:04 pm

this guys is supposed to b physically giftd but way too lazy. we need guys with heart -- not another fred weis
knicksfan10

Postby Boston_PuppyDawg » February 8, 2005, 4:19 pm

he does sound promising, but i haven't seen him in action.....so who would you say he's like?....a poor man's_____________?
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
Boston_PuppyDawg

Postby knicksfan4life » February 8, 2005, 6:03 pm

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:he does sound promising, but i haven't seen him in action.....so who would you say he's like?....a poor man's_____________?

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/johanpetro.asp

has some of qualities of Amare, Curry, Nene, and Kurt Thomas.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
knicksfan4life

Postby Waynestock2 » February 8, 2005, 6:04 pm

Boston_PuppyDawg wrote:he does sound promising, but i haven't seen him in action.....so who would you say he's like?....a poor man's_____________?

chris dudley?
Waynestock2

Postby alson77777772001 » February 8, 2005, 6:13 pm

get warick
Reporter: "What position do you play?"

Tim Thomas: "I play the 'Dunking On People' position. Coach says go in, and who to dunk on, and I just dunk on them."

Reporter: "Fascinating."

-By NYK Fan.. funny! =D

It's the hard Knick life for us...
It's the hard Knick life for us...
'Stead of swishes, we throw bricks...
'Stead of playoffs, we get picks...
It's the hard Knick life...

-Credit to Naanination
alson77777772001

Postby knicksfan10 » February 8, 2005, 6:54 pm

the knicks best draft strategy would be to take some guy whos not very good (a euro project) and then try to lose a lot to get one of the top 2 picks in next years draft, when therell b 2 high school bigmen who r supposed to b dominant

...so maybe taking this guy isnt such a bad idea, although hes not even suppoosed to b a lottery pick
knicksfan10

Postby knicksfan4life » February 8, 2005, 6:57 pm

knicksfan10 wrote:the knicks best draft strategy would be to take some guy whos not very good (a euro project) and then try to lose a lot to get one of the top 2 picks in next years draft, when therell b 2 high school bigmen who r supposed to b dominant

...so maybe taking this guy isnt such a bad idea, although hes not even suppoosed to b a lottery pick

2 Great Highschool players Greg Oden, and Bradndon Wright...Oden will be awesome, I'd tank a season for this guy if he doesn't go to college (he wants to). Marvin Williams and Rudy Gay (especially Williams) are looking like they're staying for their Sophomore years, Chris Paul has said he mite stay another year also. I agree the year after this one would be better to have a top pick so a Euro that will take time or a guy like Taft wouldn't be that bad.
knicksfan4life

Postby Dirtstar » February 8, 2005, 7:05 pm

knicksfan4life wrote:
knicksfan10 wrote:the knicks best draft strategy would be to take some guy whos not very good (a euro project) and then try to lose a lot to get one of the top 2 picks in next years draft, when therell b 2 high school bigmen who r supposed to b dominant

2 Great Highschool players Greg Oden, and Bradndon Wright...Oden will be awesome, I'd tank a season for this guy if he doesn't go to college (he wants to). Marvin Williams and Rudy Gay (especially Williams) are looking like they're staying for their Sophomore years, Chris Paul has said he mite stay another year also. I agree the year after this one would be better to have a top pick so a Euro that will take time or a guy like Taft wouldn't be that bad.

williams, gay and paul are all likely go to top 5. if that status holds up, i doubt any of them will go back to college. a lot of players say they wanna come back during the season, those who stay only do it to boost their draft value.

take the best player available. hakim warrick and johan petro are not top-10 picks at the moment.
Dirtstar

Postby knicksrule456 » February 8, 2005, 7:28 pm

This is a good sign. I have never seen him play though and don't know what he has but I still like Isiah going after somebody.
"Bruised and Refused"
-Walt "Clyde" Frazier (Just for Men Commercial)

Officially Starting the Penny Hardaway Bandwagon.

Wanna Join?
knicksrule456
Banned

Postby raiser » February 8, 2005, 7:37 pm

So the Suns get another big man?
raiser

Postby knicksfan4life » February 8, 2005, 7:45 pm

raiser wrote:

So the Suns get another big man?

it's lottery protected :D .
anyway, where we're drafting Petro's a bad pick.
knicksfan4life

Postby knicksH20 » February 8, 2005, 7:56 pm

Waynestock2 wrote:

chris dudley?

man - whoever drafts him must be starving to death then.
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
knicksH20

Postby Northpole » February 8, 2005, 8:40 pm

Thomas' biggest strength as a general manager has been his ability to draft well. I think PRguys the only one who said he say teh kid play, so if Thomas' there seeing him and thinks he has a future I say why not.
Northpole

Postby knicksH20 » February 8, 2005, 8:50 pm

Northpole wrote:Thomas' biggest strength as a general manager has been his ability to draft well. I think PRguys the only one who said he say teh kid play, so if Thomas' there seeing him and thinks he has a future I say why not.

::::knocks on wood:::::
One Team. One New York.

Jamal Crawford
His Crawfulness!
knicksH20

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft