Knicks gotta draft Hakim Warrick

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Postby Fordy » February 7, 2005, 12:36 am

well it cant be number one because he is VERY mobile and athletic. His athleticism even pissed off a BYU player because he landed on him after posterizing him on a dunk and the BYU player kicked him afterwards. That leaves number 2. Kill whitey, yo!!! :cheer:
Fordy

Postby Fordy » February 7, 2005, 12:37 am

everything in common with Laettner and Paul Davis? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Its gonna take me a while to get over that one and EVER give you one ounce of credibility in any of your future posts :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Fordy

Postby knicksfan4life » February 7, 2005, 12:45 am

Waynestock2 wrote:
Fordy wrote:
Waynestock2 wrote:
Fordy wrote:lol @ the Bogut haters. Wow there is some incredibly ignorant, no-nothing of basketball talent people on here :rofl:

i'm sure people were saying the same thing about dukee christian when he came out.....I'm sure Nick Collison and Paul Davis will turn out to be good pros too

The only thing Bogut has in common with any of these people is that he is white like them. Just the ignorance I figured. I highly doubt you have ever seen Bogut play.

There are two possibilities......

1) The reason I say this is that he has everything in common with them. He has a good jump shot, good hands, a good basketball mind, and not much athleticism.

2) I have never seen Bogut play and I hate white people. I make all my decisions based on hate for white people. Even though I am white I just can't stand white people.........

so your telling me he's going to suck, because he has a good jump shot, good hands, and a good basketball mind? Laetner's a skinny 6'9 PF, that's not great size. Collison is also 6'9 and had surgery on both shoulders last year so in his 41 game career I'm glad you can read him.

Bogut who has anything "everything" in common with both of these guys is a true 7' footer, good feet, and a much better post game than Laetner/Collison.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
knicksfan4life

Postby Fordy » February 7, 2005, 12:50 am

knicksfan4life wrote:
Waynestock2 wrote:
Fordy wrote:
Waynestock2 wrote:
Fordy wrote:lol @ the Bogut haters. Wow there is some incredibly ignorant, no-nothing of basketball talent people on here :rofl:

i'm sure people were saying the same thing about dukee christian when he came out.....I'm sure Nick Collison and Paul Davis will turn out to be good pros too

The only thing Bogut has in common with any of these people is that he is white like them. Just the ignorance I figured. I highly doubt you have ever seen Bogut play.

1) The reason I say this is that he has everything in common with them. He has a good jump shot, good hands, a good basketball mind, and not much athleticism.

2) I have never seen Bogut play and I hate white people. I make all my decisions based on hate for white people. Even though I am white I just can't stand white people.........

so your telling me he's going to suck, because he has a good jump shot, good hands, and a good basketball mind? Laetner's a skinny 6'9 PF, that's not great size. Collison is also 6'9 and had surgery on both shoulders last year so in his 41 game career I'm glad you can read him.

Bogut who has anything "everything" in common with both of these guys is a true 7' footer, good feet, and a much better post game than Laetner/Collison.

I saw in the other Bogut thread in the off topic forum that you have seen him play, Knicksfan4life. It's ovious Waynestock hasnt and is just making a blind and ignorant opinion on Bogut. Did you see the UTAH-BYU game?
Fordy

Postby knicksfan4life » February 7, 2005, 1:03 am

Fordy wrote:
knicksfan4life wrote:
Waynestock2 wrote:
Fordy wrote:
Waynestock2 wrote:

I saw in the other Bogut thread in the off topic forum that you have seen him play, Knicksfan4life. It's ovious Waynestock hasnt and is just making a blind and ignorant opinion on Bogut. Did you see the UTAH-BYU game?

I saw parts of the Utah-BYU game, this guy is so dominant..20 PPG on 65% shooting! I think he has more than just a mid range jump shot. and 12 RPG and 2 Blocks per game. I also saw the whole game vs Colorado State (they have a 7' footer possible NBA pick in Matt Nielson, Bogut had 25 Points and 18 Rebounds.

Scouting Report:
Tremendously gifted passer at 6-10-7' ... Has incredible hands ... Snatches rebounds like he has velcro attached to them ... Has all the makings of a dynamic low post game ... Great drop step ... Possesses excellent touch ... Owns a great feel for the game ... One of the best players of his age group ... On NBA scouts' radar screens before arriving at Utah ... Has developed an international reputation due to his play as a member of the Under-19 Australian National Team ... Named the MVP of the 2003 FIBA Junior World Championships in Greece in July after leading the Aussies to the title ... In eight games in the tournament, averaged 26.3 points, 17.0 rebounds 2.5 assists and 1.5 blocked shots per game ... Had 22 points and 18 rebounds in a 106-85 win over the USA in the quarterfinals of the medal round ... Played for the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), which toured the United States in November of 2001 and '02, playing exhibitions with college teams ... Also competed with AIS in the South East Australian Basketball League in 2003 ... Averaged 22 points, 14.5 rebounds and 2.7 blocked shots ... Played with the AIS team in the in the 2002 Albert Schweitzer Tournament ... Ranked in the top 10 in the tournament in scoring (17.3 ppg) and rebounding (7.3 rpg).

thought he had no low post game? Waynestock...admit you were mistaken now before you look worse..
knicksfan4life

Postby RedStorm » February 7, 2005, 2:13 am

I think Andrew Bogut needs a little bit more respect here too. I'm not going to post alot about him but I thought it'd be interesting to point out that draftcity.com projects him at #1 and NBAdraft.net at #4. You can check out his scouting report here:

http://www.draftcity.com/viewprofile.php?p=70

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/pr ... erId=15490

If you check ESPN, you can see he leds he averages 20 ppg, 12 rebs, 2.5 assists and 1.8 blocks a game. His 12 rebs a game leads the NCAA. He also shoots .650 from the field...2nd in the NCAA.
RedStorm

Postby yo » February 7, 2005, 4:40 am

I[quote] have never seen Bogut play and [b]I hate white people[/b]. I make all my decisions based on hate for white people. Even though I am white I just can't stand white people.........[/quote]

hey whats wrong with white people, im white and an aussie and ill tell ya knicks need to draft bogut hes a legend, did u watch the olympics??? HE's a big bloke and he can hit the 3!, knicks probably wont get him though i rekn could be top 3 - they need to trade for him! our weakness is the big guys, we dont want another ariza type player we got 1 (dunker,weak jumper) we would strengthen our C and pf positions!!!!
yo

Postby Dirtstar » February 7, 2005, 11:20 am

knicksfan4life wrote:Scouting Report:
Tremendously gifted passer at 6-10-7' ... Has incredible hands ... Snatches rebounds like he has velcro attached to them ... Has all the makings of a dynamic low post game ... Great drop step ... Possesses excellent touch ... Owns a great feel for the game ... One of the best players of his age group ... On NBA scouts' radar screens before arriving at Utah ... Has developed an international reputation due to his play as a member of the Under-19 Australian National Team ... Named the MVP of the 2003 FIBA Junior World Championships in Greece in July after leading the Aussies to the title ... In eight games in the tournament, averaged 26.3 points, 17.0 rebounds 2.5 assists and 1.5 blocked shots per game ... Had 22 points and 18 rebounds in a 106-85 win over the USA in the quarterfinals of the medal round ... Played for the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS), which toured the United States in November of 2001 and '02, playing exhibitions with college teams ... Also competed with AIS in the South East Australian Basketball League in 2003 ... Averaged 22 points, 14.5 rebounds and 2.7 blocked shots ... Played with the AIS team in the in the 2002 Albert Schweitzer Tournament ... Ranked in the top 10 in the tournament in scoring (17.3 ppg) and rebounding (7.3 rpg).

thought he had no low post game? Waynestock...admit you were mistaken now before you look worse..

just though i'd point out that TIM DUNCAN was guarding him for most of the time Bogut put up 22 and 18 vs. team USA. sure, international rules caught U.S. players off guard, but i don't know many people who can put up 22 and 18 vs. Duncan...

Doesn't mean Bogut will be the next Shaq, but he WILL be a very good NBA center throughout his career.

but what the hell, let's not draft bogut and go for a 6'8'' version of Keon Clark!!! fuck yeah!!!! :roll:
Dirtstar

Postby Waynestock2 » February 7, 2005, 12:19 pm

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/news/ ... 6764.shtml

Bogut would likely play power forward in the pros, as he would be undersized at center. Unfortunately, a change to center could expose his lack of speed and explosiveness when he tries to guard more athletic forwards.

He's simply not athletic enough to be a dominant center of forward in the NBA.

Look up Will Perdue, Rony Seikaly, etc. etc. etc. Those centers played against better competition than Bogut, put up about equal numbers and were not good in the NBA,
Waynestock2

Postby Dirtstar » February 7, 2005, 12:24 pm

Brad Miller, Arvydas Sabonis, Vlade Divac and Big Z are all white and unathletic, and they all turned out to be pretty damn good NBA centers, better than anything the Knicks have had since Ewing tore his achilles vs. Indiana.

and let me get this straight... you put up something that says Bogut will be undersized at 6'10''-6'11'' and 245 lbs, but you want the Knicks to draft Warrick who's 6'8'' and 205 lbs to play POWER forward???
Dirtstar

Postby Dirtstar » February 7, 2005, 12:28 pm

Waynestock2 wrote:http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/news/2005/01/20/Sports/Superlative.Salt.Lake.City-836764.shtml

Bogut would likely play power forward in the pros, as he would be undersized at center. Unfortunately, a change to center could expose his lack of speed and explosiveness when he tries to guard more athletic forwards.

He's simply not athletic enough to be a dominant center of forward in the NBA.

Look up Will Perdue, Rony Seikaly, etc. etc. etc. Those centers played against better competition than Bogut, put up about equal numbers and were not good in the NBA,

wow, i just realized you used a college newspaper as your source :rofl:

your cred just keeps growing and growing....
Dirtstar

Postby Waynestock2 » February 7, 2005, 1:16 pm

Dirtstar wrote:

:dikembe: Dude, do you have any sources backing you up? First of all I don't need any sources backing me up because stevie wonder could even see that the kid is not that athletic.

Here's an NBAdraft.net article for ya

Draft Buzz

By Aran Smith
2/3/05

Andrew Bogut: The Thunder from Down Under

As the season rolls along, some players lose steam while others only get better.

One player who has completely taken his game to another level is Andrew Bogut.

Bogut is running over every foe put before him in such a manner that as of now he deserves strong consideration for National Player of the Year.

Besides that, he has propelled himself into the top 5 players on the draft board, with many scouts claiming he indeed does have a legitimate chance to go first in the 2005 draft.

As one scout put it, comparing his NBA prospects to (last years National Player of the year and #2 draft pick) Emeka Okafor, "He has such a feel for the game. It's no contest, he is hands down better. He's a star."

What Bogut lacks in speed and athleticism he more than makes up for in all around skills, toughness and savvy.

The Sacramento Kings brand of basketball was built around a team of passers (especially bigmen), and with Bogut you have that. He has vision and passing skills that are extremely rare in a big man.

He also has a huge wingspan and the ability to almost shoot right through defenders.

Due to his lack of footspeed, many scouts were reluctant to consider him as a legit possible top pick earlier in the season, but the more you watch him, the more you realize the toughness and fire he has to go along with his skills equals a future star on the next level.

He comes from a land down under, but was originally born in a growing basketball hotbed: Croatia. And though neither place has produced the fiercest of NBA players, Bogut seems intent on changing all that.

He has a mentality as rugged as the Australian outback. During a recent game against BYU, Bogut accidentally landed on an opposing player after dunking on him. The opponent's first reaction was to kick him in the back, but his second reaction was to quickly high tail it to the other end of the court before he was dealt an Aussie ass whupping!

Bogut is an interesting bloke with a collection of pets including a kangaroo and a crocodile. No word on any future appearances on the Crocodile Hunter show, but this Aussie is sure to be adding some basketball hardware to his collection of exotic animals in the near future.

In the last draft buzz we called it "preposterous" that Bogut could be considered for the top pick in the draft. Somebody slip a crow on the barbie for us! This is one bigman with preposterous game!

No European born player has ever been the top pick in the draft, Bogut could be the first.
Waynestock2

Postby Waynestock2 » February 7, 2005, 1:21 pm

Dirtstar wrote:Brad Miller, Arvydas Sabonis, Vlade Divac and Big Z are all white and unathletic, and they all turned out to be pretty damn good NBA centers, better than anything the Knicks have had since Ewing tore his achilles vs. Indiana.

and let me get this straight... you put up something that says Bogut will be undersized at 6'10''-6'11'' and 245 lbs, but you want the Knicks to draft Warrick who's 6'8'' and 205 lbs to play POWER forward???

Hooked on phonics guys. It seems a lot of you are having trouble with a little thing I call "being able to read." There was not one place where I said that we should draft Warrick. In fact I said I DID NOT want to draft him.
Waynestock2

Postby RedStorm » February 7, 2005, 2:14 pm

I'm not trying to join in on this feud but from reading your article you posted I think it shows that the pros outweight the cons. The writer does acknowledge he is not an athletic freak but makes no inclination to point that his "un-athleticness" will hinder his potential in the NBA.

Besides, if the Knicks want to contend then they will need a high quality big man. I can't say if Bogut will be dominant but he draws alot of comparisons to Brad Miller with a Vlade Divac's court vision. Thats a pretty high comparison if you ask me. I think Miller is a little underrated. Brad Miller is not a dominant center but I think we can all agree that he is one of the best centers in the NBA.

Going back to the original post topic: I dont think Warrick is worth the pick. Atleast not right now. He seems to depend mostly on his athleticism from what I have seen. I havent seen enough of him though. I think when the tourney and the Chicago pre draft camp begins we will have a better idea.

On a side note: I think we should keep our eyes on Taft, Vazquez, Splitter and even Villanueva if he declares.
RedStorm

Postby knicksfan4life » February 7, 2005, 3:42 pm

Waynestock2 wrote:
Dirtstar wrote:

:dikembe: Dude, do you have any sources backing you up? First of all I don't need any sources backing me up because stevie wonder could even see that the kid is not that athletic.

Here's an NBAdraft.net article for ya

Draft Buzz

By Aran Smith
2/3/05

As the season rolls along, some players lose steam while others only get better.

Bogut is running over every foe put before him in such a manner that as of now he deserves strong consideration for National Player of the Year.

Besides that, he has propelled himself into the top 5 players on the draft board, with many scouts claiming he indeed does have a legitimate chance to go first in the 2005 draft.

As one scout put it, comparing his NBA prospects to (last years National Player of the year and #2 draft pick) Emeka Okafor, "He has such a feel for the game. It's no contest, he is hands down better. He's a star."

What Bogut lacks in speed and athleticism he more than makes up for in all around skills, toughness and savvy.

The Sacramento Kings brand of basketball was built around a team of passers (especially bigmen), and with Bogut you have that. He has vision and passing skills that are extremely rare in a big man.

He also has a huge wingspan and the ability to almost shoot right through defenders.

Due to his lack of footspeed, many scouts were reluctant to consider him as a legit possible top pick earlier in the season, but the more you watch him, the more you realize the toughness and fire he has to go along with his skills equals a future star on the next level.

He comes from a land down under, but was originally born in a growing basketball hotbed: Croatia. And though neither place has produced the fiercest of NBA players, Bogut seems intent on changing all that.

He has a mentality as rugged as the Australian outback. During a recent game against BYU, Bogut accidentally landed on an opposing player after dunking on him. The opponent's first reaction was to kick him in the back, but his second reaction was to quickly high tail it to the other end of the court before he was dealt an Aussie ass whupping!

Bogut is an interesting bloke with a collection of pets including a kangaroo and a crocodile. No word on any future appearances on the Crocodile Hunter show, but this Aussie is sure to be adding some basketball hardware to his collection of exotic animals in the near future.

In the last draft buzz we called it "preposterous" that Bogut could be considered for the top pick in the draft. Somebody slip a crow on the barbie for us! This is one bigman with preposterous game!

No European born player has ever been the top pick in the draft, Bogut could be the first.

look what you have in bold...than look at the rest of the rest of the paragraph, your knocking him with an article that praises him! Damn ur ignorant. And It's a good thing that his game has grown/shows improvement. It says he makes up for his lack of athelitisicm and scouts still see him as a future star. Plus NBADraft.Net has him listed at 7' that's not undersized, and he can put on a little weight.
knicksfan4life

Postby FuryRealm25 » February 7, 2005, 4:05 pm

I'll take the guy with more basketball skills than the athletic freak.
Edit: Inappropriate signature removed.
FuryRealm25

Postby Dirtstar » February 7, 2005, 4:15 pm

Hey Wayne, sorry if i misunderstood and thought you wanted to draft Hakim.

just allow me to highlight other parts of the article that might make you reconsider your opinion of Bogut:

Waynestock2 wrote:Draft Buzz

By Aran Smith
2/3/05

you're right, nobody will ever confuse Bogut's foot speed with Olajuwon's. but Bogut is big, tough, plays in the post and has a sweet jumper, tremendous passing ability, good fundamentals and long arms.

he challenges himself to get better and prove others wrong. so what if he's not the most athletic player in the draft. neither was Duncan or Brand.
Dirtstar

Postby Waynestock2 » February 7, 2005, 4:56 pm

Dirtstar wrote:you're right, nobody will ever confuse Bogut's foot speed with Olajuwon's. but Bogut is big, tough, plays in the post and has a sweet jumper, tremendous passing ability, good fundamentals and long arms.

he challenges himself to get better and prove others wrong. so what if he's not the most athletic player in the draft. neither was Duncan or Brand.

I just don't think Bogut is worth a top 5 pick. I feel like top 5 picks should be used on players who are capable of becoming superstars. Bogut does not have that potential in my opinion. I feel like he will be a servicable player but will never be able to dominate a position. Lets not waste our pick on such a player....

Lets draft someone who at least has the potential to be a superstar.
Waynestock2

None of this matters because he won't fall....

Postby Isa Soulstar » February 7, 2005, 5:18 pm

....neither will Tiago Splitter or Taft. Right now we're looking at 7 and the only other center option would be Johan Petro who's stock is freefalling right now. So Warrick would be the most logical answer.
oOoO...Friends don't let friends VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
Isa Soulstar
Writer

Postby RedStorm » February 7, 2005, 5:19 pm

Would it be a different issue if he was black?

Anyways, I'd like to see the Knicks try to trade up for him.
RedStorm

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft