2022 NBA Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Don Che
Likes given: 9

Its going to be a very very weird night if:

Top 4, Sharpe, Daniels,Sochan,Davis, Mathurin and Griffin go top 10 mainly because I thought Daniels and Sochan were locks at 11 easily most of the year...actually I thought they could be had mid first most of the year...and as time goes on I figured...fine those 2 rise and one of Davis/Mathurin/Griffin drop and than it hit me....it would be the most Knicks thing ever if all of them go top 10.

And based on reports out of the Knicks and their workouts. I haven't heard any noise just Griffin, Davis, Daniels and Ivey. Other than that...all I've heard were 2nd round undrafted guys.

So I really don't have the slightest idea wtf is going to happen if Keegan Murray/Jalen Duren/Mark Williams are the top guys on the board at 11.

Do they trade the pick? go for a homerun like Diegn or Jovic? Take Jalen Duren? I really have no idea.

But...with that said I'm very confident that if Duren and Keegan got top 10. Davis or Sochan will be taken 11... Mathurin no matter what is gone by 8 and Daniels no matter what is gone by 10. Griffin is another wild card that is projected top 6 but can slip to 11.

Our draft is purely depicted on when Keegan/Duren are taken.
Don Che

like I said ....after the top 4. Jovic is as high of a ceiling as anyone.

Dieng is a better defender but Nikola gets the edge due to creation and passing but both are 19.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Dalen Terry is moving up on some mocks: a 6'7" soph G with 7' WS, can dribble, pass, shoot and defend from Arizona.

Long, athletic and skilled, here's his pro day workout:
Don Che

If Terry ever learns to shoot...it changes everything for him
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

Was just thinking. In a situation where we move on from Mitch. It's certain, he ain't coming back. Outside of age why would we not value Mark Williams more than Jalen Duren?

https://www.tankathon.com/players/compa ... k-williams

If we're letting Mitch go while keeping Julius age actually is on Williams side as Duren would be too raw to help this team. Then even in a rebuild situation, I feel like it's a rebuild but with players we already have like RJ, IQ, Toppin, Grimes. Guys we drafted as upperclassmen in many cases or a few yrs back where most of our guys are around 21 now. I wouldn't mind a guy coming in who knows himself a d his game alittle more.

Then the more and more I look at the stats Williams really does look like the better player or at least more secure in his game. That's not to say I don't like Duren and that I should account for age but if I'm dumping Mitch and I'm assuming watching Noel start again for the yr then I probably want to draft a C that's closest to being ready to start by 2023/24. I understand it won't happen this upcoming yr but by the following yr I probably want the guy closest to being ready to go.
nazrmohamed

Oh yeah almost forgot. Shouldn't be a surprise for you Don. It looks like a trade down is in order.
Don Che

LMAO

Mark vs Duren is a tough one...its all about which swing skills you believe in.

I can argue for either side and I could argue against taking a center in the lottery.
nazrmohamed

Well you know I hope we won't be taking a C in the lottery but I gotta prep for it happening based on the odds.

I dont wanna spend too much time on Jaden Ivy rumors cuz it's like telling people your career goal is winning scratch offs. But I'm afraid we'll have no choice. You're too good to get Wamemamba so why wait. Draft a C and let him learn behind Noel and Simms I guess. Somebody shadow that kid though.
Don Che

if Randle stays...can't see Duren or Mark in play.

idk why I think that but I do
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

nazrmohamed wrote: June 4th, 2022, 7:26 am Oh yeah almost forgot. Shouldn't be a surprise for you Don. It looks like a trade down is in order.
If both Dyson and Sochan are off the board at 11 then a swap of #20 and 25 with the Spurs is viable.
Don Che

hmm

really depends man...just too risky of a move imo. I can see really solid talent atleast from a high floor stand point but not that high of a ceiling.

Also...I don't know if we need 3 more rookies into the mix. We have enough young players we should consolidate (unless Randle leaves)
Rusty La Rue
Likes given: 819

cragganmor wrote: June 7th, 2022, 7:49 pm If both Dyson and Sochan are off the board at 11 then a swap of #20 and 25 with the Spurs is viable.
Just grab Eason with the 11th pick :hammer:
2023 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
"Everybody gets excited about youth except the coach, because he knows youth means mistakes, mistakes mean losses, losses means you're fired."
nazrmohamed

I ain't trying to go that far back. I'm morethe type to add a couple second rounders to pick 11 and drop to 13&15

You'll land at least one of Duren or Williams and then later possibly Branham or Moore. Maybe once Williams is secured I might be open to flipping 13 for an early 20s pick and a future asset.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

- Berman thinks Malachi is a sleeper at 11
Fxck Adam Silver
Don Che

Not for nothing....I can see it

and I can also see Grimes locking his ass up in practice.

if you take a 2....he better be light years ahead of Grimes. As of now Fournier and Grimes who both had good years are at the 2 and I can easily go to war with those guys.

All I'm saying is....go for a home run. highest ceiling possible. In theory....IQ can start at PG...we can sign Bamba and we can run the rest of the starting 5 next year. We don't need this pick to play day 1, question is who will be the best 2 way player down the line.

If Randle is traded....im still aiming for the home run. only difference is regardless of how bad he is now he's starting out the gate.

So no matter what....aim high. Malachi is a bit too low for me.

I'd rather Nikola Jovic ..6'11 dribble, pass and shoot. Or Ousmane Dieng, 6'10 underrated defender has solid feel and good form. Or how about we flip 11th and Cam for 13 and 15 and get both? Nazr would be happy...I would be happy...win win!
nazrmohamed

Don Che wrote: June 9th, 2022, 6:44 am Not for nothing....I can see it

and I can also see Grimes locking his ass up in practice.

if you take a 2....he better be light years ahead of Grimes. As of now Fournier and Grimes who both had good years are at the 2 and I can easily go to war with those guys.

All I'm saying is....go for a home run. highest ceiling possible. In theory....IQ can start at PG...we can sign Bamba and we can run the rest of the starting 5 next year. We don't need this pick to play day 1, question is who will be the best 2 way player down the line.

If Randle is traded....im still aiming for the home run. only difference is regardless of how bad he is now he's starting out the gate.

So no matter what....aim high. Malachi is a bit too low for me.

I'd rather Nikola Jovic ..6'11 dribble, pass and shoot. Or Ousmane Dieng, 6'10 underrated defender has solid feel and good form. Or how about we flip 11th and Cam for 13 and 15 and get both? Nazr would be happy...I would be happy...win win!
I seemingly would be happy but you spoke of potential and I still think Cam has more potential than anybody in this draft beyond pick 9. That doesn't mean it's been lived up to and I'm not saying he's untouchable but I just wanna get one more season to assess what he can do and if it turns out I missed out on pick 13 or 15 for that then.....well there are some risks you take and gotta live with, ya know what I'm saying? But for sure I'd add a couple second rounders to pick 11 to make that happen. But still I applaud you trying and welcome those offers.

And that's sortve why our "team direction" thread is so important. It's starting to look more and more like we're gonna just run it back but I can still hope the Knicks clear up some top end role player glut giving room for a guy like Reddish to get more opportunity. I'm rooting for him to succeed and wanna give him tough love EVEN WITHIN a youth movement. I've said before to people saying Fournier and Burks blocking his opportunity that Reddish has allot more to worry about than them. Grimes seems to be the next man up, if I were to draft either Sochan or Eason what's really stopping them from seizing that opportunity themselves. So idk who has to do it, maybe RJ but somebody needs to pull Reddish aside and basically tell him it's now or never. The dude should be crushing guys like Grimes and IQ I'm practice. His potential and skill level when drafted was that high and some at one point were arguing even higher than RJ.
Don Che

No dispute on Cam's potential but I think we've seen enough guys not maximize. I'm not there in practice nor the locker room. If Cam is a positive work ethic wise and its just reps in game for him? you're right. Keep him

Regardless how I feel about his potential I still have him behind RJ, Quick, Grimes and Mitch when it comes to our young talent.

Even tho Cam has the talent...historically speaking how many guys went from fringe rotation guy for 3 years and end up being a star? It's rare.

Usually guys go from role players who defend and evolve into stars. Not saying its impossible...but the probability is low.

Ideally Cam maximizes who he can be meaning a guy who can score 20 plus and defend at a high level. Everything about this organization changes. Randle goes from 1st option to 3rd and maybe 4th on days Quick is in his bag and they go back to the playoffs with more weapons.

Cam needs to go into the offseason/pre season/training and dominate every player 2-4...and that includes Randle. No one should be safe. Thats how talented he is.
Don Che

Usually by this time of the year...i just need the draft to happen already.

I'm burnt out with all these goofy rumors which are all lies at this point lol
Don Che

If we keep Randle...having a jumbo wing that can create and have Quick/RJ along with him manage the game.

Just tell Randle to drop 25 a night efficiently and not make decisions.

In a world of long wing spans, shooting 3's, switchable defenders and offensive creation. I'm not sure why he's not projected in the lottery.

Can Davis shoot 3's?
Can AJ create his own shot?
Can Daniels shoot and create offense?
Can Bennedict create in the half court?

The only thing I'm wondering about Jalen is...can he translate everything he does...in the NBA lol Thats it and I guess his ceiling but non athletic, crafty creators do well these days as long as he makes the right reads.
Don Che

what if we just told Thibs....mold this kid the way you did Jimmy Butler and Andrew Wiggins(best team success is now but individually his best year was with Thibs)

if he makes it to 7. Trade Randle and anyone not named RJ to trade up