2019 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

This kid looks interesting, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, a 6'5" combo guard for Va Tech, 6'9" wingspan, athletic:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... ker-1.html

Pretty good slashing with good shake, passing and shooting, very good defender.
cragganmor

Luguentz Dort, an athletic 6'4" combo guard from ASU has impressed early on. Has great feel, seems to find the ball and get it in the cup. Also a tough defender in the mold of Marcus Smart with a dash of DWade, shows deep range in this clip vs #6 Nevada:

cragganmor

Another Dotson to keep an eye on, Devon is defense-minded PG from Kansas; no relation to Damyean.

https://fansided.com/2018/12/17/devon-d ... int-guard/

Not a star, but has role player potential.
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

Garland out for season is a name to watch. He could be a top 5 talent in this draft

Could shoot back up draft boards

Very modern day PG

Garland averaged 16.2 PPG and shot 53.7% from the field. His 47.8% three-point shooting

He is also a better floor general than Morant
Fxck Adam Silver
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

Put it in the other thread but I'm starting to look at Kevin Porter JR as possibly a better SG prospect than Cam Reddish. Cam is more of a dual wing than purely a SG and hes having trouble creating and handling the ball now (that's not to say he stinks at it) at the next level his skills might be better suited to SF at which point his height isnt as impressive, just common.

Kevin has excellent ball handling ability on the wing, performing spins, step backs, hop steps and really gets to the rim or gets his defender off balance in a variety of ways. Im looking for a SG who can create and be a playmaker and to me if Ja can come outta nowhere so can Porter. Here's some tape

Don Che
Likes given: 9

I cant see a reason why I'd take any other PG over carson edwards
BRIGGS
Likes given: 0

Right now my two draft picks are
Zion or Ja Morant

secondary picks in order

Tyler Cooke SF
Cassius Winston PG
Carson Edwards 6th man

undrafted or 50+
Nick ward PF

My premise for the Knicks is to get much better at PG. Better PGs make other players better and we need that. I would even be willing to take both Morant and Winston
nazrmohamed

Don Che wrote:I cant see a reason why I'd take any other PG over carson edwards
Don, that DM train ride only gets you so far bruh, what the hell are you talking about? Carsen Edward's. Hes a second round prospect who looks like Juan Barrea out there. You wanna pick him up in the second round after you take Zion in the first then be my guest but please dont tell me youd take him in the lottery, please tell me you're joking.
Don Che

I like Carsons game ....and think his game translates
BRIGGS

I dont think we have a PG on the roster

We need a lot of help in many spots but the big help is the PG position where we can find a player who gets the most out of other players.

We need some athleticism 3 point shooting accuracy and a big old school player inside off the bench

We have a max slot and hopefully we pick up some additional picks in the coming 2 months.

terrible that this new format is the year we finally really stink bad
Don Che

do you guys think Ja Morant is better than Mudiay out the gate?
nazrmohamed

Don Che wrote:do you guys think Ja Morant is better than Mudiay out the gate?
I think the only concern I would have is his physicality. Its not a huge concern but it could be tough for him his rookie year. We are watching DeAaron Fox tear up the league right now but his rookie year he didnt light it up. Of course in NY he wouldve been a bust and in trade discussions before this year ever took place. So its gonna take time but I have no doubts he'll eventually be a dynamic PG based on everything I've seen and read. Idk if hed be better his first year than Mudiay is right now. I mean, Mudiay has had a couple 30pt games and since given starters role is putting up numbers. You say hes not a great passer but since starting hes been around 6 assists and there are guys we wanna pay max money to that average that much. And it hasn't equated to wins so I'm not gonna go crazy over it but just to answer your question I don't think so. Doesn't mean I wouldn't draft him though but at the same time I'm not really all that desperate to draft a PG either. I feel everytime we pencil in that we need a pg to draft it doesn't work out for us.

Draft
FA
Trade

You have all three options if you really want a pg and I still hope Frank can figure it out. Might have to see it develop behind Kyrie.
cragganmor

Hard to say at this point; he's not played against top flight competition. Definitely keep an eye out later in the season.
Don Che

kyrie is not an option for multiple reasons imo

I'll say it like this....if we pick 3rd or 4th ...RJ and zion is out...and where we stand I'm taking the BPA and I cant say that cam is btmetter than Ja

I'm not sure who I'd take 3rd atm.

I'm not worried about free agency plus this is a draft thread

I'm ok with keeping Mud and Frank to work it out ....but what player fits with mud and Frank's lack of shooting and Knox's lack of defense and playmakining
cragganmor

Still way too early but I'll play... :LOL:

If Z is off the board and we're at #3, then you go with BPA; based on upside, I'd go with Cam. He's a frosh, will need Fiz's attention to grow into the best player. He has the highest ceiling beside Zion and RJ, plus as a multiposition, multiskilled wing player, he fits a need.

If we slide further down, then I'd take KPJ. I like his Harden-like shiftyness with the ball, shooting ability and we need wings.
Don Che

cam is the most talented player in this draft

just dont see any dog in his game though

there are a lot of guards producing in college this year.

and Fiz has enough guys to overly coach...if I'm picking 3rd...the last thing I want to question is a motor. Cam is shooting under 40% from the field....I dont mind the overall production with 2 studs on his team i mind the % and I'm not sure who in the NBA was that inefficient college and made it better in the league...just a concern I have with him
Don Che

I see us landing in the 3 to 5 range

and I may look at culver and kz okpala over garland/ja(giving mudiay and Frank another year) and cam ....I can see someone currently in the middle of the pack jumping into top 5 area this year...after the 2 its riddled with injured players with high projections mixed with productive sophmores. kevin porter is also up there in talent...at 6'6 220 and his handle/hops he has the talent to be the best 2 guard in the league....but his lack of polish could lead him to being JR Smith...with him it depends if he's a student of the game...kid is the epicenter of all the talent Seattle has given the game

envision either one of these guys next to Knox on the wing is scary...okpala looks like he's 6'8 and moves like a 2 guard
nazrmohamed

I gotta see some tournament but I got Porter as the 3rd best player in the draft right now. Ja is a very attractive talent but I'm nervous about small frames PGs and dont wanna develop another one. I think Porter is plug and play, already has great size and weight and with guys like Knox showing out we could have 2 solid wings to flank KP. Both of whom can get to the rim on thier own, can play above the rim, who can hit shots. But to say JR Smith, yeah that's scary but to say hes got the skills, I agree. Look at that first video you posted. The very second sequence when he dribbles around a post defender, performed a hop step and exploded up for the 2 handed jam in the paint....that's strong NBA move and hes got step backs, euros and rises that quick. That's my guy right after Barrett.
Don Che

yeh as a skill set hes so advanced in ability just not sure on production and fundamentals

he wants to be james harden but he has more bounce

just not sure he knows how to play ...I like that he rebounds and blocks shots tho

i would take him over Cam as well right now.....RJ/Zion is tier one....Porter/Ja/Cam .....Porter is after that even tho i think Porters game fits the NBA's style of play more than RJ's or close to it.
BRIGGS

New top 3
Dropped Barrett out moved Okpala in

! Zion
2 Ja
3 KZ