[Merged] 2017 Draft Discussion...

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: [Merged] 2017 Draft Discussion...

Postby Don Che » April 10, 2017, 5:13 pm

surprisin that Fultz is even there and things like this happen usually means he wont be here

We always end up with a player we would never assume would be here
Don Che

Postby Don Che » April 10, 2017, 6:10 pm

Who would you guys say is the best defender in the lottery regardless of position?
Don Che

Postby lxn_ » April 10, 2017, 6:36 pm

^^ might not be a lottery but in my opinion its Og Anunoby. dude can defend 1-4 very well, very agile and one of the best athlete aswell. Terrible shooter from the ft line though and next to zero playmaking ability makes him a high risk guy
lxn_

Postby cragganmor » April 10, 2017, 9:53 pm

pretty close between fox, josh j, jon issac.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » April 10, 2017, 9:54 pm

I think defense is a good core to go with.

Kawhi was drafted as a defense guy

Westbrook was drafted as a defense guy

Paul George....Jimmy Butler...Derozan(kinda, his defense was further along his horrible offensive game) even Lowry was a defensive player first

Obv you have Harden/Curry but for the most part defense first is a safer bet to risk with.

Josh Jackson/Jonathan Isaac/Fox/Frank....Dennis Smith(more in HS than college)

guys above have defensive tools naturally and some esp Josh has good instincts also....but Isaac can be a beast if he works on his handle since he has tools on both sides of the floor..if hes a better playmaker than we thought he can be special on the perimeter
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » April 11, 2017, 7:06 am

Just curios guys. Let's say we do well in the lottery and end up with the number 3 pick. So Fultz is gone and so is Ball. You do have a chance to grab Jackson though or any pg you like.

Looking at Sacramento they have currently picks 7&10 but assuming we jump up so could they and thier picks end up 6&10. Would any of you consider trading down. At 6 you're almost garaunteed one of Fox/Smith/Frank and at 10 nobody knows but in that range you're looking at Isaac/Markkanen and Bridges. Would you do it?

I know I would. Could still end up at worst with Frank and Bridges
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » April 11, 2017, 8:22 am

Take Josh and run.

I usually don't fall for that lottery swap stuff it's rare for teams to swap and even rarer in doing a 2 for 1
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » April 11, 2017, 8:35 am

I'd take Josh at 2nd... so yeah, i'm definitely taking him at 3rd.
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

All aboard the Donkic express!
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » April 11, 2017, 11:23 am

Josh's floor is the highest in this draft....and what he's good at right now is what we need right now
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » April 11, 2017, 1:58 pm

Don Che wrote:Take Josh and run.

I usually don't fall for that lottery swap stuff it's rare for teams to swap and even rarer in doing a 2 for 1

This

And the Knicks aren't in the position on passing on "high upside talent" to get "two lesser talents" instead. If the BPA in terms of needs (ballhandling, defense) is on the board, you take it and run.

Only draft trade I would do.........is to trade UP the draft, not down. With the mere fact that the Knicks are trying to transition forward with young talent, we need the BEST YOUNG TALENT we can get.....so we can't settle for lower tier ones UNLESS we are forced into that position (aka forced to pick 7th or 8th in the draft).

If we aren't forced to draft lesser young talent AND we are in a high draft slot, the hell am I gonna give up drafting a surefire young talent for?
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby nazrmohamed » April 11, 2017, 6:35 pm

See that's my thing. I like Jackson but I don't see him as otherworldly as yall do. He passes the ball, great. But it's not like I'm looking at a guy whose gonna average 6 assist from his position like Lebron can, or looks like he takes over games offensively like Fultz can or even a guy like Smith JR or later on Bridges can. I don't even see his as good a pure scorer as Tatum is. I see him as probably the best all around player, and I'm very sure his development could lead him to be elite at any one of those areas but unlike you guys Im not certain of it.

So for me there's not this huge separation of talent between he and pick 6. Fultz and Ball? Yeah I see it, but 3-7 for me is more like great players but what does your team need?

I think we need a PG, that's certain and then if one could throw me a second lottery player, well that's just awesome.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby nazrmohamed » April 11, 2017, 6:45 pm

Don Che wrote:Josh's floor is the highest in this draft....and what he's good at right now is what we need right now

I don't think his floor is the highest at all. To me floor could mean you got flaws but yourr advertised strength is evident in your first day.

Smith Jr- today I think he could walk into the nba and be a scoring pg who finds open teammates. Area of opportunity is defending at an nba level

I've just seen so many of these jack of all trade SFs come in and be busts or just average players. Im not saying he will be, I just don't look at him and say ok, there's a top 5 scorer. Or top 5 defender, or top 5 passing non pg. I probably can garauntee he won't suck. I can probably garauntee he can help a team when his scoring is off. But bonafide superstar?

And understand, I'm not doing this exercise to argue him vs any single player. It's the possibility of 2 lottery players. TWO lottery players here. To me unless we can garuantee were gonna pick again in the top 5 next year you almost have to do it. Especially when at pick 6 there's like 3 players Id take and be estatic to get, not even thinking about pick 10.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby shakespeare » April 11, 2017, 7:43 pm

nazrmohamed wrote: Fultz and Ball? Yeah I see it.

1) I hate Danny Ainge. He's gonna mess around and get Fultz in June and Ayton, next season
2) Why couldn't Phil Jackson do with Carmelo what Ainge did with aging stars Garnett and Pierce?
3) The possible top-seeded team in the EC has a good chance of walking away with the top pick in a loaded draft
4) And who is Celtics' 16 Draft Pick Ante Zizic, is he gonna come to the league next season and bust Porzingis and Hernangomez up, like I'm constantly hearing?
5) Whatever team that picks first in the draft would be an absolute fool to take anyone over Fultz
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby lxn_ » April 11, 2017, 10:11 pm

^^ same here man, absolutely hate ainge too. Hope they dont get the number 1 pick or worst they draft another point guard and disrupt their already strong core. The guy just over values his assets and probably thinks a zeller and olynk for melo is completely fair.
lxn_

Postby Don Che » April 11, 2017, 10:30 pm

Nazr all I'm saying is I'd rather take Josh strictly as a defender/high motor/playmaker than Dennis as a scoring PG right now

both are studs but I always trust defense and playmaking.... especially athletic ones...and while Josh is athletic like MKG its still a worthy skill to have.

my only concern with Dennis is us..not him.

I see your point that Dennis can score right now in the NBA...I'm just saying Josh can defend/pass/ rebound right now. Both are good players obviously
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 11, 2017, 10:34 pm

Don Che wrote:I think defense is a good core to go with.

Kawhi was drafted as a defense guy

Westbrook was drafted as a defense guy

Paul George....Jimmy Butler...Derozan(kinda, his defense was further along his horrible offensive game) even Lowry was a defensive player first

Obv you have Harden/Curry but for the most part defense first is a safer bet to risk with.

Josh Jackson/Jonathan Isaac/Fox/Frank....Dennis Smith(more in HS than college)

guys above have defensive tools naturally and some esp Josh has good instincts also....but Isaac can be a beast if he works on his handle since he has tools on both sides of the floor..if hes a better playmaker than we thought he can be special on the perimeter

i think josh is going to be something of an andre igoudala type of player early in his career, but a legit 3 that just might be able to play the 2; whether he improves, grows into a jimmy butler type is up to him. if we are going to load up on defenders, then i'd take a look at wes uwundu from kansas state, a 6'7" sg with a nearly 7' wingspan that defends, passes and rebounds, competent at slash and shoot with the #44 pick. we'd have a pair of long, athletic, multidimensional swings with upside.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » April 12, 2017, 1:31 pm

Yeh Iwundu is another player ive watched thru out the year...he's on my wishlist..i dont want to jinx anything so i'll just see how the draft goes.
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » April 12, 2017, 3:44 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-mi ... 38792.html
Miles Bridges is heading back to school for another year...........which is a good thing, it'll help him refine out his skills before he enters the draft next year.

Barring other breakout freshman, Bridges could definitely improve himself to be a Top 5 pick in the 2018 Draft.
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby lxn_ » April 12, 2017, 5:40 pm

wanted him if we missed out on the PGs. But this makes next years 2018 draft more loaded at the top. I think he has the potential to be a top 5 pick next year. If we have another losing season next year, which I think will happen, Im crossing my fingers for Luka Doncic, as of right now hes really impressed me with his passing ability and bbiq. He has Jokic like passing skills and is a great shooter and just turned 18.
lxn_

Postby cragganmor » April 14, 2017, 2:26 pm

the #58 pick we have is a perfect slot for a draft and stash. i like alpha kaba, a 6'10 pf/c with 7'4" wingspan. another is sebastian saiz, a 6'8" pf, a strong, mobile rebounder with a 7'5" wingspan. had 20 double doubles for ole miss, plays with a strong motor, from spain so he likely knows whg from the spanish natl team or jr team.
cragganmor

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft