[Merged] 2017 Draft Discussion...

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: [Merged] 2017 Draft Discussion...

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 2, 2017, 11:33 am

nbafreak724 wrote:I agree with H20 here, if we do pass on a PG this year in the draft, then just wait. No need to throw money at Rose, Holiday, Teague (none of whom seem appealing imo). Just have Baker, Randle, 2nd rounder, cheap FA rentals, etc run the point next year...

The salary floor dictates that we throw money at somebody so why not offer it to Rose?

It'll take a max offer to get either Holiday or Teague and I don't think neither of 'em are worth that kinda money. On the other hand Rose's issues have been well documented, and I'd like to believe that even he knows he won't be offered anything close to a max deal... Still, he's averaging 18 PPG, 4.4 APG, and shooting 47% from the floor, and he said he wants to be here. Which makes re-signing him at a discount a viable option. Sure his defense has been awful but the entire team has failed on that side of the ball. Not to mention he's proven to be an effective player when surrounded with defensive minded teammates. Which brings me back to Josh Jackson, and the case for drafting him over one of the PG's.

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:... Adding a player like Josh Jackson (an athletic/defensive/rebounding/playmaker) to a lineup consisting of Rose, Melo, and Putback-P helps address some, if not all of their weaknesses. Jonathan Isaac, Jayson Tatum, Miles Bridges could help us too.

All the guards in the lottery are great options (except Ball) but so are the forwards.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 2, 2017, 11:36 am

rebound wrote:i actually think sf is more of a need than pg.

melo is toast whether he stays with the team or not.
kuz and ndour dont belong in the league. lance is a role player best suited off the bench.
i trust ronnie b as a starter and randle as a backup.

I'm all for rooting for the underdogs but anyone who believes Baker and Randle can be anything other than our 4th and 5th guards off the bench is a delusional homer.

Case in point. Putback-P has the potential to be great but as right now he's currently overrated. Hernangomez, skilled offensively but some of y'all have thrown up Marc Gasol comparisons... Madness.

O'Quinn>>>Hernangomez, but that's neither here nor there...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 2, 2017, 11:52 am

thewatcher wrote:Fultz reminds me so much of DAngelo Russel it's uncanny. More talented no doubt, but like Russel, very casual and inattentive on defense. I honestly have just glanced at Fultz...

I like both Frank N. and Monk if we drop.
lxn_ wrote:Noticed that too.. Ive watched only 2 games of him and a lot of highlights on youtube and id say the scouting report on his defense is pretty accurate. He seems really disengaged and uninterested in defending his man some times. Really sad because he has the necessary tools to be a great defender, long wingspan and elite lateral quickness and burst. Unlike some guys who are atleast trying but just dont have the quickness yet. If we want to establish a defensive culture we need someone like a Tony Allen to mentor the young guys.

:?

KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 2, 2017, 12:00 pm

big_j_NY wrote:There are no great PGs next year...

Nonsense... First of all we don't know which prospects will remain in the NCAA's, guys like Edmond Sumner, Bruce Brown, Andrew Jones, etc could be options.

Then there's the incoming freshmen... IMG's, Trevon Duval looks pretty good. Jaylen Hands is a savage. Collin Sexton has star potential. Lonnie Walker looks impressive. Jalek (Raymond's nephew) Felton got game, and he ain't fat. Jordan Poole looks solid. And despite their size Quade Green, Trae Young, and Isaiah Washington are all highly skilled floor generals.

Point is it's way to early to determine who is, or who doesn't have the potential to be great... That said, there's a bunch of guards/players who could play themselves into the '18 lottery discussion.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby nazrmohamed » April 2, 2017, 12:23 pm

Keep in mind though kfisf, to me if a player at 21 is even close to a player who is 26 (O'Quinn) that means he's significantly better when you account for age. And it's even arguable that Wily is better now.

To see Willy averaging like 11 and 9 in starts is pretty damn awesome. For reference Joquin Noah was like a 6&7 player his rookie year. It's hard to compare him to Marc Gasol but who the hero was Marc Gasol until like year 6. Willy is showing us something TODAY.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby lxn_ » April 2, 2017, 12:23 pm

^^
watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkuCO7UzWqo .. dont get me wrong though If I have the number 1 pick id still select him. Im just pointing things that I believe are his flaws right now so he can further improve sooner rather than later. Which is why I think bringing in a guy like Tony Allen or PJ Tucker(only on a cheap deal if possible) would bring in that defensive culture we want to establish. They can mentor whoever youngs we have going forward.
lxn_

Postby noypi » April 2, 2017, 12:28 pm

Who's better? Ball or Fultz?

“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 2, 2017, 3:11 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:Keep in mind though kfisf, to me if a player at 21 is even close to a player who is 26 (O'Quinn) that means he's significantly better when you account for age. And it's even arguable that Wily is better now.

To see Willy averaging like 11 and 9 in starts is pretty damn awesome. For reference Joquin Noah was like a 6&7 player his rookie year. It's hard to compare him to Marc Gasol but who the hero was Marc Gasol until like year 6. Willy is showing us something TODAY.

This idea that all young players have some kinda mythical untapped potential just isnt true. For every player who seemingly improves his game with age their are at least 5 players who don't... For every Kawhi Leonard there's a Michael Beasley, Ricky Rubio, Derrick Williams, Evan Turner, Tyson Chandler, etc just to name a few... And it doesnt always simply come down to work ethic. Some players reach their basketball potential faster than others.

And Hernangomez could be one of those players. Because it ain't like he's gonna become some kinda basketball dribbling wizard. The best he can hope for is maybe adding a 3-pt shot, and that's it... We've already seen him at his best all we can hope for now is that he remains a consistent contributor. And that all comes down to coaching because when O'Quinn gets the minutes he looks just as good, if not better.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby Don Che » April 3, 2017, 12:15 pm

Work ethic of the individual and consistency of the organiztion is what dictates those things most of the time.

If Kawhi went to the Kings instead of the spurs he may not be who he is right now

changing of coaches/management every year leads to players not improving as well.

Will can become a better defender/get stronger/improve his jumper all of those things are reps/experience based.

He'll never be a shotblocker but positional defense is just as important
Don Che

Postby rebound » April 5, 2017, 10:39 am

top 8 prediction based on current order

1. boston:fultz
2. lakers: ball
3. phx: jackson
4. orlando: tatum
5. sixers: frank
6. knicks: smith jr
7. sacramento: fox
8. minnesota: monk
Team Mills
rebound

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 5, 2017, 12:12 pm

^^^
I'd prefer Fox but I'd be more than happy with Smith Jr... Or any of the other top lottery picks not named Ball or Markkanen.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby rebound » April 5, 2017, 12:18 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:^^^
I'd prefer Fox but I'd be more than happy with Smith Jr... Or any of the other top lottery picks not named Ball or Markkanen.

You wouldnt take Ball at 6?
Team Mills
rebound

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 5, 2017, 6:38 pm

^^^
I guess I'd have to take him if he fell to us but I ain't a fan... But I still aint all that impressed by Karl Anthony Towns either so take it for what it's worth.

Going by your top 8 prediction, and assuming Fox, Smith Jr and Fultz (guards only) are gone I'd rather have Monk or take a chance on Ntilikina over Ball.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby cragganmor » April 5, 2017, 10:12 pm

yeah, still not convinced by ball. he needs a very talented team around him to click and i think he will struggle with the speed, strength and size of nba defenders. he won't be terrible but it won't be easy to replicate his ncaa success in the nba without that kind of talent around him. and of course, his dad will trash talk the entire league about how his boy is the best guard in the league; that will motivate teams to crush him. but all teams have to do is just stay man-to-man on him and force him to finish around the rim, where he has difficulty, bring a weak side defender to smother the shot at the last moment.

fox has something that can help every team, his energy and defense. he's good and getting better at finding his teammates, so he's a willing ball mover. his shot was terrible early to midseason but he started to really gain confidence down the stretch. conversely, monk has to show that his shot selection has improved and that he's willing to to bring the focus on d, he's shown improvement as well. they are likely to go head-to-head in workouts, so that will be very interesting.

feel pretty good of our chances of landing either fox, monk or frank n.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » April 5, 2017, 11:11 pm

I won't say who I want until the order is out but regardless of position.... defense and playmaking is the priority

At the same time I don't want Rose...nor Teague...Holiday sure but if we don't draft a PG I'm perfectly fine letting Baker and Randle get a year.

I'm done over paying guys unless he makes us a playoff team for the next 5-7 years otherwise I'll leave room to build within

My guess....we draft 5th and we take a PG
Don Che

Postby noypi » April 5, 2017, 11:20 pm

rebound wrote:top 8 prediction based on current order

1. boston:fultz
2. lakers: ball
3. phx: jackson
4. orlando: tatum
5. sixers: frank
6. knicks: smith jr
7. sacramento: fox
8. minnesota: monk

Considering team need, picks 1-4 looks pretty spot on for me. Sixers will pick Smith Jr. or Monk. They need scoring from their backcourt and these two can give it to them. They have another playmaker in Ben Simmons so there's not too much pressure from their guards to facilitate for their teammates in every play. Hopefully, Knicks draft a guard in Fox, Ntilikina, Monk and Smith Jr., three of whom will be available for us.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby shakespeare » April 6, 2017, 10:04 am

Based on the NBA history of Kentucky players, I'm all for New York drafting either Fox or Monk. Both are guards and both own basketball qualities that are sorely needed on our roster. Do both have weaknesses? Of course, every player on our roster has a glaring weakness. Fox can't hit the long ball with efficiency and Monk may be undersized, although Rex Chapman was also undersized as a two-guard and still managed to do his thing in the league. Fox scored 39 against UCLA in the tourney and Monk dropped 47 on National Champion UNC squad. Very impressive feats, I say.

Strengths:
1) Speed at the playmaking position is underrated via Fox
2) The ability to score from everywhere on the court is underrated via Monk

Now watch Phil draft Ntilikina, who I think might be a solid pack as well, if he can get that fire beneath his feet.

So, these are my official draft choices:
1) Fox
2) Monk
3) Ntilikina
The Porzingis blessing is real.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 6, 2017, 10:22 am

Cousins compares Fox, Monk with Wall, Bledsoe https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbssport ... edsoe/amp/

John Wall: Fox, Monk 'the best backcourt in college basketball' https://www.google.com/amp/s/kentucky.2 ... 306055/Amp

Former Kentucky players propping current Kentucky players, of course, but there's some truth in their statements.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » April 6, 2017, 10:42 am

I gotta believe the ONLY reason Anthony Davis isn't listed as the greatest Kentucky Wildcat is due to only playing one season http://www.trendingtoplists.com/top-10- ... ll-history

Kenny Walker was a beast in college. Not sure what happened as a Knickerbocker, though.
shakespeare
Writer

Postby StevoStarks » April 6, 2017, 6:16 pm

I'm still concerned about Monk's size at the 2 spot meshing with the NBA 2 guard sizes. Should I not? There's no way he slides over to the PG spot so can he handle being guarded and most likely guarding NBA 2's?

There's no doubt the kid us super talented.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft