The future of Basketball Big Men

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

The future of Basketball Big Men

Postby big_j_NY » July 24, 2015, 3:17 pm

I know, a premature post on a future prospect that ain't even graduated high school yet.

But let's make this clear, the kid is already 7 ft 1 in which is the same height as Shaq was..............but he can handle the ball and shoot like a guard WHILE still posting-up like a traditional Center. Add on top of the fact that he's an athletic freak for his height, which makes him the ideal two-way Center in today's modern NBA.

Fellas, this is what the next great Centers will evolve too............7 foot Lebrons (sorry, premature reaction once again)

Side Note: Maybe this is what NBA scouts thought of Porzingas when he was doing his draft workouts prior to the Draft
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Re: The future of Basketball Big Men

Postby Don Che » July 24, 2015, 3:31 pm

will we have our pick when he's eligible?
Don Che

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » July 24, 2015, 5:14 pm

Premature, huh? How 'bout this? (Scroll down to see yaself pluggin' NBA 2K, yet again. They owe you a check for all the promotion you give 'em.) 8-)

I see a Forward (PF/SF) when I look at Maker. He's a poor mans Kevin Durant with a whole lot of potential.

If Porzingis had the ball handling skills, and ability to create his own shot like Maker he would've been drafted by Minnesota. I guess, we should be grateful for his shortcomings...
It's the Triangle over EVERYTHING!!! Melo-God is on borrowed time...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby big_j_NY » July 24, 2015, 7:58 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:Premature, huh? How 'bout this? (Scroll down to see yaself pluggin' NBA 2K, yet again. They owe you a check for all the promotion you give 'em.) 8-)

I see a Forward (PF/SF) when I look at Maker. He's a poor mans Kevin Durant with a whole lot of potential.

If Porzingis had the ball handling skills, and ability to create his own shot like Maker he would've been drafted by Minnesota. I guess, we should be grateful for his shortcomings...

Well shit........props should be well given here. God dammit, I completely forgot that I replied about this kid last year. In actual honestly, I just re-discover Maker earlier today because of a Facebook post of his "infamous crossover" from Complex Magazine

P.S. KFSFL, NBA 2K is da shit.........Live has turned to utter shit
Last edited by big_j_NY on July 24, 2015, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby big_j_NY » July 24, 2015, 8:05 pm

Don Che wrote:will we have our pick when he's eligible?

He's a high school senior this upcoming year..........and the Knicks don't have a 2016 1st round pick (but they do have a 2017 1st rounder).
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby cragganmor » July 25, 2015, 11:09 am

thon has been on the radar for a while now, seems like forever. don't think his skills or tools are in question, his intangibles are his only limit. he has kentucky written all over him...
cragganmor

Postby big_j_NY » July 25, 2015, 5:50 pm

cragganmor wrote:thon has been on the radar for a while now, seems like forever. don't think his skills or tools are in question, his intangibles are his only limit. he has kentucky written all over him...

Speaking of future Calipari big men

Yep, Calipari certainly picked a worthy replacement for Towns
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby cragganmor » July 28, 2015, 11:13 pm

skal is impressive. cal is just gonna get dibs on the elite talent every year. i'd like to see him assemble more balanced rosters, spread out his talent across the floor; last years team was so top-heavy in talent that they didn't get enough from their swing and pg spots, not nearly enough ball movement.
cragganmor

Postby big_j_NY » July 29, 2015, 12:22 am

cragganmor wrote:skal is impressive. cal is just gonna get dibs on the elite talent every year. i'd like to see him assemble more balanced rosters, spread out his talent across the floor; last years team was so top-heavy in talent that they didn't get enough from their swing and pg spots, not nearly enough ball movement.

Cal needs to thank Anthony Davis and Nerlens Noel for all of the recent top big men prospects flocking his way. Those 2 guys basically showed future star bigs that you can win a national title with Cal, as opposed to Cal getting into Final Four contention with primarily a star guard (D-Rose, John Wall)
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby nazrmohamed » July 29, 2015, 10:26 am

Idk about LeBron or Durant but what I do see is a Kevin Garnett clone. This guy could be his twin, except even taller. Thon Maker that is.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » July 30, 2015, 12:48 pm

He already has 10x the game his father had (rest in power, Manute), now imagine if he grows another 5+ inches and actually decides to lift some weights...
It's the Triangle over EVERYTHING!!! Melo-God is on borrowed time...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby nazrmohamed » July 31, 2015, 2:53 pm

Somebody get that kid a burger, fast. Idk, I wasn't that impressed. He's a giant in a sea of junior high schoolers. You dunk a couple times and it looks impressive. I'm sure if you put him in a group his own height and he doesn't stand out...bol bol that is. Then again, that's his height now. Could grow in the same proportion to his peers and then prove me wrong.

I'm more impressed with Thon Maker. Dude looks like a real stud
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby big_j_NY » July 31, 2015, 3:11 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:Idk about LeBron or Durant but what I do see is a Kevin Garnett clone. This guy could be his twin, except even taller. Thon Maker that is.

I had to research how scouts looked at younger KG, and I read in some old articles mentioning KG's ball-handling ability for a big man. It has been often forgotten how good of a ball-handler KG is, as he continues to grow older in age and become more of a veteran defensive goon instead of the athletic freak-show that he was in the front court.

Maker could be as good as KG, if he develops the same "do-or-die" mindset as Garnett has............except as a Center and not a PF (KG hates playing Center to this day)
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby cragganmor » August 1, 2015, 11:03 pm

here's a mix of both thon and skal at the nike hoops summit https://youtu.be/J236hoslYdc
cragganmor

Postby n8 the gr8 » September 24, 2015, 9:49 pm

cragganmor wrote:here's a mix of both thon and skal at the nike hoops summit https://youtu.be/J236hoslYdc

Check out Skal at the :50 mark. It's truly a different era when bigs are entering college with a Dirk Nowitzki-eque fadeaway off of one leg.
KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:So stop lookin' at the guy through Rose colored glasses because this current version of Putback-P could just as well likely be his final form.
n8 the gr8

Postby cragganmor » September 29, 2015, 10:10 pm

skal is a pretty interesting player right now but he shows the kind of upside that could be amazing in a couple of years. i'd say the only questions that he has to really answer this year at uk are the intangibles like his work ethic and mental toughness, will define how long it will take for him to become a bonafide nba star.
cragganmor

Postby big_j_NY » November 13, 2015, 9:54 pm

Can I honestly say that I couldn't give a fuck about this year's draft class and I am just anticipating next year's draft class when THIS KID finally starts showing the nation what he is truly about
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby big_j_NY » June 23, 2016, 8:43 pm

......HE DID IT BOYS, HE IS NOW OFFICIALLY A TOP 10 NBA DRAFT PICK

Adrian Wojnarowski
‏@WojVerticalNBA

Milwaukee plans to select Thon Maker with the No. 10 overall pick, sources tell @TheVertical. GM John Hammond has been enamored with him.
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby nazrmohamed » June 23, 2016, 8:59 pm

After watching his game its a great pickup for Milwaukee. When you think of how they wanna play, athletic and long while pushing the pace. They are the definition of positionless basketball.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby big_j_NY » August 3, 2016, 10:52 pm

THIS KID..................

:clap: :clap:
#KnicksTape
#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Next

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft