2016 Draft Discussion...

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

BXGuy
Likes given: 8

Labissiere and Diallo are my guys.
The artist formally known as prguy.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

the only spot that you can stockpile with little fear of duplication or fit are with swings; you can come up with team concepts to best utilize them. but pg and c are specialized positions, really have to be mindful of fit, unless you are max and the more pg's the better :). you see even the wiz, who enjoyed a lot of success with gortat, nene and seraphin moving away from that formula, getting smaller and more skilled. likewise, the pacers have followed suit.

we need skilled swings that can defend, pass, shoot and slash; very versatile and complete players.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 246

True but the good thing is these days swing players occupy any position from 2-4 so I stand by my post. The Knicks must spend the next four year stockpiling young talent. Obviously they should have some skills that make them fit the triangle but At the same time the younger players are moldable anyway so I do t think its a bad plan.
KnicksFanInSouthFL
Likes given: 0

cragganmor wrote:the only spot that you can stockpile with little fear of duplication or fit are with swings; you can come up with team concepts to best utilize them. but pg and c are specialized positions, really have to be mindful of fit, unless you are max and the more pg's the better :). you see even the wiz, who enjoyed a lot of success with gortat, nene and seraphin moving away from that formula, getting smaller and more skilled. likewise, the pacers have followed suit.

we need skilled swings that can defend, pass, shoot and slash; very versatile and complete players.
Did the Wizards really move away from that formula or did Khris Humphries just take over for Seraphin? And they've still got Gortat and Nene. 8-)

Come to think of it ALL of the better teams in the league still have big frontcourts.

The Warriors are the best team in the league and they won with Bogut anchoring the center position. Him missing a few games in the Finals doesn't change the fact. The Cavs didn't take off until Mozgov showed up. And I think it's safe to say that they would've won it all with a healthy Love and Kyrie...

But lets dig a lil further... The Hawks have Horford and Milsap. The Rockets have Dwight. The Clippers have Jordan and Griffin. The Grizzlies have Gasol and Randolph. The Spurs have Duncan, and have now added Aldridge and West. The Bulls have Noah and Gasol. The Mavs have Nowitzki and replaced Chandler with Zaza Pachulia, Dalembert, and McGee. The Raptors have Valanciunas. The Pelicans have Davis and Asik. The Thunder have Ibaka, Enes Kanter, and Stephen Adams. And the Heat have Bosh, Whiteside and McRoberts, and then decided to bring STAT to the party.

My point is swings are important but so is every other position. We need upgrades everywhere...
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
nazrmohamed

We definitely need everything. But I wouldn't mind if the next young stud were a SG. I'm not talking about a good combo guard. I'm talking a bonafide stud SG. Something like a Klay Matthews caliber young SG. I'm not saying it is Clay Matthews. It could be the guy we draft in 2017 but I'd like to have one.
cragganmor

yep, a legit 6'6" or better bonafide sg that can defend, pass, shoot, slash; be an impact player in many ways to help the team. we don't have a pick this season, will have to hope that some other team is willing to send us a 2nd rounder for cash. maybe guys like tim luwawu (france) or denzel valentine (mich. st.) will be there.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

nazrmohamed wrote:We definitely need everything. But I wouldn't mind if the next young stud were a SG. I'm not talking about a good combo guard. I'm talking a bonafide stud SG. Something like a Klay Matthews caliber young SG. I'm not saying it is Clay Matthews. It could be the guy we draft in 2017 but I'd like to have one.
Football Season...

Can Clay Matthews hit the three, tho??? 8-)
ISIAH_THOMAS
Likes given: 52

No pick, but interested in seeing Ben Simmons..Very skilled
Also going to check out the Jersey Kid Briscoe going to Kentucky
Fxck Adam Silver
cragganmor

one guy that i'll try to keep an eye on is baylor's taurean prince, a senior. he's a bit raw in parts but he has a tough, defensive mentality and can guard 4 positions in ncaa, is long and athletic and shot just a hair under 40% from the arc. he'll probably need time to acclimate to the nba but he's got some demarre carroll in him.
shakespeare

Starting Five: Most talented freshmen in college basketball.http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nc ... /75586692/
#TeamTank
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Ben "Yung LeBron-lite" Simmons may have all of the HYPE surrounding him this season, and deservedly so, BUT Antonio Blakeney, Brandon Sampson, and Tim Quaterman are all talented players themselves. LSU's gonna be a lot of fun to watch...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Anyone watch the Duke vs Kentucky game? It's on the DVR but I haven't watched it yet...
ISIAH_THOMAS

Kris Dunn is somebody I really like in this draft. PG from Providence who could drop because he's already 22. He should of came out last yr but he can ball. He lives in the paint very good defender working on his shot. He would be getting more hype if played at Duke or Kentucky.
Fxck Adam Silver
KnicksFanInSouthFL

^^^
If he had entered the 15' draft at best he would've been a mid-to-late second round pick due to the overall depth at the PG position and his reoccurring shoulder injuries. This season barring injury he projects to be a first round pick.

I think he made the right decision... :?
ISIAH_THOMAS

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:^^^
If he had entered the 15' draft at best he would've been a mid-to-late second round pick due to the overall depth at the PG position and his reoccurring shoulder injuries. This season barring injury he projects to be a first round pick.

I think he made the right decision... :?
He was going mid to late lotto if he entered. He dominated last night again over 11 ranked team in the country. Dude is a baller
Fxck Adam Silver
shakespeare

LSU's Ben Simmons shows he can guard Anthony Davis, James Harden at Nike camp, per report. http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/ ... e_can.html
Jay Bilas said Simmons reminds him of LeBron James, but I don't see it. No one reminds me of LeBron James.

Simmons reminds me of a taller, stronger version of Grant Hill.
#TeamTank
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 158

Simmons doesn't really remind me of anyone. If his shot improves a lot then maybe a poor man's Lebron is an ok comparison. I see a big PF that can make good decisions in transition, but I think his passing and handling will be less impressive in the half-court with NBA 4s guarding him. We'll see, I haven't watched enough of him to make an educated guess. But obviously he's got talent to be special.

The new generation of bigs is really interesting with the 3 bigs from this previous draft class, Davis and Simmons. Kind of reminds me of the 90s when there was an mvp candidate at pf seeming every night with guys like J O'Neal, Dirk, Garnett, Duncan and Bosh among others. So much size and versatility. Seems like there's going to be a shift back towards a big-dominant league (but with highly skilled bigs) in 5 years with the elite swings being primarily defensive players like Leonard and George.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
nazrmohamed

Shakes, Grant Hill was well on his way to becoming the next Jordan before becoming injury prone. So if you're describing Simmons as a taller Grant Hill you may have described the GOAT someday. Since Im too scared to put that out there Ill just say he reminds me of Lamar Odom who against that level of competition looked that dominant too.
shakespeare

Wow, really, Nazr? I remember the comparisons between Grant Hill and others being the next MJ, but I never took them serious. Only Kobe reminded me of Jordan, offensively. (Kobe emulated MJ.) To me, Grant wasn't explosive like Jordan. He wasn't selfish like Jordan, either, which is why I believed Simmons reminded me of not-as-quick, unselfish and multi-talented Grant Hill. Grant probably would've been the unselfish version of MJ?

Agreed. Lamar Odom is a really good comparison.
#TeamTank
shakespeare

n8 the gr8 wrote:
The new generation of bigs is really interesting with the 3 bigs from this previous draft class
Agreed. After you said it, I thought about it, and definitely wondered how the league (big men style of play) would look in the future if front court college freshman like Ben Simmons, Skal Labissiere, and Ivan Rabb become who they are expected to become? Along with AD, KAT, Porzingis and whatever other big man that can stretch the floor and hold down the center position. Then we also gotta consider what Thon Maker might be in the future. One thing I've noticed is that just about all of these players have some long ass arms.

Did the aliens tinker with their unborn fetuses?
#TeamTank