Kristaps Porzingis thread

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Kristaps Porzingis thread

Postby spree#8 » June 16, 2015, 3:33 pm

Why don't we have one yet?

Anyways, here the case for him as the number one (a series by Chad Ford, who makes the case for each of the five guys he thinks are worthy of the no. 1 pick). Look in the other player threads for their stories (Towns, Russell, Mudiay - with Okafor still coming up).

http://www.espn.co.uk/basketball/inside ... -no-1-pick

An excerpt:
Boom or bust

Porzingis' season in Spain went as well as one could hope for a 19-year-old playing in the ACB -- the toughest league in Europe. Sevilla hired former NBA assistant coach Scott Roth to helm the team. Roth quickly implemented NBA style offensive set and began mentoring Porzingis.

He had been an assistant coach with the Mavericks when they drafted Dirk Nowitzki and again with the Grizzlies when they took Pau Gasol. He also worked with Jonas Valanciunas in Toronto his rookie year. Roth knew what it took to transform an international big man into a NBA star and knew this year in Spain would be huge to his development.

"He handled himself really well," Roth told ESPN. "He's very mature for his age. He has a great family and a base around him. He's a great, humble kid who's a worker. He's very competitive. He has a lot of intensity and competitive fight in him. That's the most critical component to his success in my opinion."

Within weeks, Roth began to see shades of both Dirk and Pau in his game. Shades Roth believes will translate from Spain to the NBA.

"He's going to make open shots," Roth said. "You're going to have to guard him from 15 feet to the 3-point line. His stroke is great. I had Dirk as a rookie. Dirk had more range. But the fluidity and grace of the shot is Dirk-like. He's athletic enough to run the floor. He's deceivingly good as a weak side shot blocker. He's actually very good down in the post. He just doesn't have the strength to maintain his position in the paint. And maybe most importantly, no one will out work him."

Porzingis responded to the challenge well. While his numbers in Spain (11.6 PPG, 4.1 RPG 46 percent 3-point shooting in 20 MPG in the Eurocup and 10.7 PPG, 4.8 RPG, 31 percent 3-point shooting in 21 MPG in the ACB) might not wow you, they were very good for a player his age.

In front of a gaggle of NBA scouts in late March he dropped 18 points, grabbed six boards and shot 2-for-4 from 3 in a game against the best team in the ACB -- FC Barcelona.

Our own Kevin Pelton, projected his WARP as 3.4 -- good for second among any prospect in the draft (D'Angelo Russell ranked No. 1 by a sliver at a projected 3.7 WARP)

Wrote Pelton: "At the age of 19, Porzingis has been a valuable contributor for Sevilla in the ACB -- one of the best national leagues in Europe -- as well as the intercontinental EuroCup competition. Based on his translated statistics, Porzingis could come to the NBA and competently play rotation minutes right away. Porzingis has shown range to the slightly shorter FIBA 3-point line, making 38 percent of his 3-pointers this season across all competitions. His combination of blocks and steals is also solid."

And the teams that did the most homework always came away impressed with what they saw on the court.

Here was what one NBA GM told me in early April after seeing Porzingis play against Barcelona:

"I was watching him warm up and had flashbacks to when I saw Pau Gasol take the floor for the first time in Spain, only this kid is much more athletic than Gasol and plays with that same fluidity. I've been asking my team since then: Are you sure he's not the No. 1 guy? Are these guys in college really better than him?"

All year I got calls as teams returned from Spain asking me the same question. "Why isn't this kid in the discussion for the No. 1 pick?" I always responded the same way:

"That's the question I'm asking you."

In short, the buzz Porzingis generated in his workout isn't just some sort of workout voodoo. Teams that scouted his games in Spain were coming away similarly smitten.

And therein lies the biggest dilemma for Porzingis. There was a time when having a foreign sounding last name improved your draft standing by 10 to 15 points. After the success of Dirk Nowitzki, Pau Gasol, Tony Parker and Andrei Kirilenko (Gasol, Parker and Kirilenko all made NBA All-Rookie first team in 2001-02) it was "in" to be international.

But then Nikoloz Tskitishvili (the fact I still remember how to spell his name probably tells you how excited I was about him in the 2002 draft), Darko Milicic (I was the charter member of his fan club), Pavel Podkolzin (who put on the most electric NBA team workout I've ever been to before discovering he had a dangerous pituitary problem), Andrea Bargnani (the guy who was supposed to give international players a good name after a series of high profile busts), Yi Jianlin (who was better at dunking on chairs than real people) and a host of other highly touted international players that failed to live up to the hype, changed all of that.

Fool me once and well ... it happens in the draft. Fool me twice, three, four times and you have to start looking inward.

Since then there have been a few hits. Ricky Rubio, Valanciunas, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Dennis Schroder and Nikola Mirotic have all started making their mark in the NBA. But none of them have reached the success of players like Dirk, Pau or Parker.

And that's why Porzingis hasn't gotten any buzz at No. 1. Because when you ask GMs about him they all say the same thing. "I love him, I'm just not sure who has the balls to take him ahead of more established guys like Towns or Okafor or Russell."

More established? Sevilla played against teams like Real Madrid and FC Barcelona that would've killed Duke in the NCAA Championship game. The silly debate about whether Kentucky could've beaten the 76ers? I don't know an NBA scout who thinks they could've beaten any top team in Europe, let alone the NBA.

"Established has nothing to do with it," one long-time NBA scout told me in Vegas. "That's code for, 'I won't get fired if I draft Okafor and he turns into Greg Oden. But I will get fired if Porzingis is the next Darko.'"

Especially in a draft that looks eerily similar to 2003 when LeBron James, Darko Milicic, Carmelo Anthony, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh went one through five. Like that draft, if the 2015 one has a top five, four grew up and played in the U.S. Only one has spent his entire career overseas. No one wants to have an epic bust among the top five again.

Roth, for one, isn't worried. "Most of the international guys that busted didn't love the game," he said. "They failed because of a lack of passion and work ethic. It was convenient for them to come over and make a lot of money. Zinger's more in the Dirk mode, in that you can't get him out of the gym. He's also more in the Gasol mode, because he's so skilled.

"I hate to throw Dirk's name out there so flippantly. He's been so great. I don't think anyone thought when we drafted him he'd be this great. Zinger has some characteristics of Pau. Some of Dirk. But what he becomes? I can't tell you. But I don't think he'll be a bust. At worst he's a really good player. At best, a potential all-star. He's just too skilled, and too competitive to fail."
#knickstape
spree#8

Re: Kristaps Porzingis thread

Postby DolanCurse2001 » June 16, 2015, 7:42 pm

Tons of vids here - http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1372555

I'm too chicken to take Porzingis. I think Phil might be too.
DolanCurse2001

Postby Don Che » June 16, 2015, 11:09 pm

Agreed and if he succeeds....idiots will blame Phil for not taking him Lol....and wed torch him if he does and all the drama would kill the kids game.

I think he's more of a sure thing then Willie trill is.

After watching his games....hes not a herb out there....he has skills and 7-1 is no jk either
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » June 16, 2015, 11:11 pm

I'll take him instead of paying Bargnani the vet's minimum..........yeah, I fucking said it
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby CommonSense » June 16, 2015, 11:38 pm

^^ same here. I'm beginning to believe the hype that what really is the difference between Darko/Bargs and Dirk/Gasols is the work ethic and desire to be great...seems (though who really knows till he plays) that KP has it.
The future ain't what it used to be~Yogi Berra
CommonSense

Postby cragganmor » June 16, 2015, 11:56 pm

risky; a big gamble that he gets strong enough to play in the nba and rounds out his game with some interior scoring, defense and rebounding. how will he respond to nba defenders that are bigger, stronger, faster, more hops than the acb?
cragganmor

Postby DolanCurse2001 » June 19, 2015, 2:14 pm

Kristaps Porzingis has become the trendy name among NBA executives since dominating at his ASM Sports workout a week ago.

“I think there is a strong chance he lands in the top four picks,” one Eastern Conference general manager told SheridanHoops. “The Lakers, Knicks and 76ers are all possible options. He has the length and athleticism of Andrei Kirilenko and stroke and footwork like Dirk Nowitzki. He will be the best prospect in this draft while also having the best upside.”

With that in mind, Porzingis is out to shed the stereotype behind European big men.

“A lot of people just think that because I’m European and I’m skinny, I’m soft,” Porzingis told SheridanHoops. “But that’s not the case. I’m not soft at all and I don’t like being labeled as soft.”

In Europe, soccer generally reigns as the premier sport, but not for Porzingis.

“Some of the GMs think that because I’m European I may be soft or they say the difference between Europeans and Americans is that we Europeans like basketball and Americans love basketball,” Porzingis told SheridanHoops. “But the thing with me is I love basketball more than anything. I’m in the gym working every day. I’m a very hard worker. I love the game. I study the game all the time. That won’t be a problem because I love the game so much.”

“He’s really good and I think he should be in the conversation at No. 2,” another Eastern Conference general manager told SheridanHoops.

The Los Angeles Lakers select No. 2 overall and have been linked to Jahlil Okafor and D’Angelo Russell predominantly. One league source told SheridanHoops the Lakers believe Okafor has a chance to be a “franchise center.” However, Russell has emerged as a legitimate contender for the No. 2 pick according to our Joe Kotoch in his latest mock draft.

Being drafted second overall by the Lakers would be a surreal experience for Porzingis.

“When I was growing up me and my brother used to get up really early in the morning to watch the NBA Finals when Kobe and Pau were playing together from 2008-10,” Porzingis told SheridanHoops. “I was a big fan of the Lakers at that time and I’m still a fan of the Lakers and Kobe. That was my team.”

Speaking of having interest in the third overall pick, the New York Knicks will anxiously be waiting to see if Russell or Okafor somehow slips to them with the fourth pick.

If not, the team will most likely select from the trio of Porzingis, Justise Winslow and Emmanuel Mudiay or trade down.

Knicks general manager Steve Mills saw Porzingis play overseas “a couple of times,” league sources told SheridanHoops.

President Phil Jackson and coach Derek Fisher also were on hand in Las Vegas to watch Porzingis’ pro day.

Porzingis is seen as an ideal fit for the Triangle offense because he likes pick-and-pop sets and can shoot from any spot on the floor.

Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/06/19 ... 1vtYQkV.99
DolanCurse2001

Postby rebound » June 20, 2015, 9:45 am

I like Porzingis.

Good draft can't go wrong at 4 unless you draft WCS.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Don Che » June 21, 2015, 10:27 am

I'm starting to think....porzingas might be a good idea
Don Che

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » June 23, 2015, 4:43 am

chadfordinsider 7h7 hours ago

Just got the measurements for @kporzee from @impactbball! 7'1.25" w/out shoes, 7'6 wingspan, 230 lbs. Longest wingspan in the draft.

so 7'3 with shoes ..this dude is tall af. when he gets stronger he could be a beast
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » June 23, 2015, 4:44 am

Kristaps Porzingis' measurements from his workout in Las Vegas last week include a height of 7'1.25" without shoes, a 7'6 wingspan, and weight of 230 lbs.
Oh boy. That 7'6 wingspan is just another reason why it's hard not to get excited about Zinger. His ceiling is arguably higher than Karl-Anthony Towns, but the risk factor is much greater. He won't be going outside of the top 10 and could go in the top five. He for sure will not get past the Magic at 5
ISIAH_THOMAS

Postby DolanCurse2001 » June 23, 2015, 9:25 am

DolanCurse2001

Postby Don Che » June 23, 2015, 11:46 am

I'd be too excited if we took him...just to see how that would even pan out. And he is the most talented in regards to physical tools in this draft by far.

But i'd also be petrified if he crashes and burns
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » June 23, 2015, 9:05 pm

he's definitely a high risk/high reward type, the kind that would drive us to serious drink + meds if he struggles.
cragganmor

Postby nazrmohamed » June 24, 2015, 12:50 pm

On a sidenote- one thing I'm noticing in a lot of articles is how much scouting we've done which dispels all these rumors that we haven't done any due diligence. Idk if Phil himself is traveling, but people he trusts are out there for sure
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby cragganmor » June 24, 2015, 7:30 pm

yep, we've had over 30 players come work out for us, so the effort was there. phil scouted guys that slotted all across the 1st round and into the 2nd, even potential udfa's like that kid from westchester cc.
cragganmor

Postby thewatcher » June 25, 2015, 6:17 am

this kid has grown on me. My draft board: Okafor, Mudai, Russel, then Porzingis.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 25, 2015, 7:50 am

thewatcher wrote:The HYPE is workin'. My draft board: Okafor, Mudiay, Russell, then Porzingis.

fixed... 8-)
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby Don Che » June 25, 2015, 11:23 am

Curry and Westbrook and plenty others had stocks that rose right before the draft....so to some of these players it isn't hype. Just is
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » June 25, 2015, 12:28 pm

His mind was already made up in January. :LOL:
cragganmor

Next

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft