Predict the steal of the draft

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Predict the steal of the draft

Postby Nononsense » April 13, 2015, 8:21 pm

Okay, I started a thread where we predict the bust of the draft. Now, let's concentrate on the steal of the draft. Every draft seems to have that player that got overlooked and was picked either late in the first round or even the second round and became a better pro than most of the lottery picks. Some have even went undrafted and then turned out to be better than most 75% of the players actually drafted.

Of course you have Delon Wright who almost isn't a sleeper on this site anyway. But what about Caris LeVert? A foot fracture derailed him this season, but if he can fully recover, this kid could turn out to be the steal of the draft. He's got pretty much all the tools to succeed at the next level. He's long and wiry. A smart and heady player. Seems like the type of tall guard Phil loves to experiment with. If we can get a late first round pick, I'd love to take a chance on him.
Nononsense

Re: Predict the steal of the draft

Postby cragganmor » April 13, 2015, 10:09 pm

a bit early, but at this point, i think bobby portis (arkansas) gets no love and will be taken in the bottom third of the 1st round; his length and game will translate to the pros, he does need to get stronger. christian wood of unlv could become a chris bosh type, a perimeter-oriented big, excellent length and athleticism, slotted for that bottom third.

things get tougher in the 2nd round, but syracuse's chris mcullough is supremely athletic, recovering from an acl tear; he's someone that you draft and stash for 1 yr and s/b ready for the '16/'17 season, he can use that time to bulk up, get stronger and polish his game. one kid that is a total project is robert upshaw, who has legit size and freakish length for a c, was leading ncaa in shot blocking but got kicked off his team for ganja; he's got hassan whiteside written all over him, but nobody knows how long it will take for him to bottom out to realize how privileged, blessed he is; all of his risk is between his ears.
cragganmor

Postby BXGuy » April 14, 2015, 9:12 am

Cameron Payne
Jakob Poeltl
Bobby Portis
Trey Lyles
George Lucas
Olivier Hanlan
The artist formally known as prguy.
BXGuy

Postby cragganmor » April 14, 2015, 9:58 am

One guy that I'm on the bubble about is RJ Hunter. Can he evolve into the next klay Thompson?
cragganmor

Postby nazrmohamed » April 14, 2015, 11:05 pm

Carys Levert yall. The kid was projected as early as 10th until he broke his foot. Im banking that at his age he recovers just fine and proves to be a great guard in this league.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby cragganmor » April 15, 2015, 6:11 am

good call, he has the tools and skills.
cragganmor

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 15, 2015, 10:36 am

Delon Wright and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson...

Terry Rozier III - Opposing teams used a lot of zone defense to force him to beat them on the perimeter (questionable shooting touch). Fortunately for him the NBA doesn't use much zone D, so the game of basketball is about to get a whole lot easier for Mr Rozier. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being the breakout guard in this draft class... When matched up against everyone's favourite D'Angelo Russell, Rozier's defensive contributions resulted in Russell shooting 6-20 from the field and 0-6 from behind the arc with 4 turnovers.

Jarell Martin (and his teammate Jordan Mickey is Taj Gibson-lite) - Martin is almost DeMarcus Cousins-lite... And like Cousins he'll need to develop a passion for defending. But aside from that he's got handle, a face-up and post-up game, a consistant jumper and he moves well defensively. With all these things going for him I'm actually surprised he isn't considered a lottery pick. He scored with ease against Kentucky's NBA frontline, and gave Bobby Portis all he could handle in their matchup. Which let me know that he won't have any problems scoring as a pro. I'd honestly take him over Towns and Kaminsky... I know you can't teach height but those few inches don't make them better basketball players.

Rashad Vaughn - A Freshman with the same size and scoring ability of D'Angelo Russell, enough said. The difference between them being Russell is a better facilitator while Vaughn is a better defender but they'll both be solid shooting/scoring/combo guards at the next level. Vaughn would have been a surefire lottery pick had he not suffered a season ending knee injury, which ultimately will end up costing him millions. Hindsight being twenty-twenty, the CBA wouldn't have been a bad option for him... Hopefully he'll use this as motivation to help him recover and raise his overall game because he'll definitely have the most to prove.

Michael Qualls - the Sprewell impersonator... 8-)
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby Don Che » April 15, 2015, 3:18 pm

whoever we pick....idc about anyone else
Don Che

Postby thewatcher » April 15, 2015, 4:14 pm

Last edited by thewatcher on May 17, 2015, 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby BXGuy » April 16, 2015, 4:29 am

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:
Jarell Martin I'd honestly take him over Towns and Kaminsky... I know you can't teach height but those few inches don't make them better basketball players.

:LOL:
The artist formally known as prguy.
BXGuy

Postby Nononsense » April 16, 2015, 10:52 am

nazrmohamed wrote:Carys Levert yall. The kid was projected as early as 10th until he broke his foot. Im banking that at his age he recovers just fine and proves to be a great guard in this league.
cragganmor wrote:good call, he has the tools and skills.

Yeah, LeVert is the reason I made this thread. I mentioned him in my initial post but nobody responded. :?
Nononsense

Postby cragganmor » April 16, 2015, 7:05 pm

sorry, my bad non. the only thing that kept levert out of the lottery is breaking his foot, same fracture in the same spot twice in 2 years. personally, i think he's testing the waters, if he doesn't get a strong response from pro teams, then he'll return for his senior year. his health is a risky proposition for a 1st round pick and he's said it makes no sense for him to leave early just to become a 2nd rounder.
cragganmor

Postby Nononsense » April 16, 2015, 11:37 pm

cragganmor wrote:sorry, my bad non. the only thing that kept levert out of the lottery is breaking his foot, same fracture in the same spot twice in 2 years. personally, i think he's testing the waters, if he doesn't get a strong response from pro teams, then he'll return for his senior year. his health is a risky proposition for a 1st round pick and he's said it makes no sense for him to leave early just to become a 2nd rounder.

No problem. Just giving you two a hard time. ;)

Yeah, I'd love to somehow get a late first round pick and nab him.
Nononsense

Postby DolanCurse2001 » April 17, 2015, 7:40 am

I'm going to say WCS. He might go as high as 5 or fall a bit but he's going to have a long career and be one of the best defensive bigs in the league. Might win a few DPOY awards too.
DolanCurse2001

Postby taowave » April 17, 2015, 10:13 am

No clue,but I am 100 percent positive that the draft pick that goes 1 before the Knicks pick will be a superstar.
taowave

Postby Don Che » April 17, 2015, 2:34 pm

100% true tao
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 17, 2015, 10:07 pm

been there and twice bitten in recent years. westbrook and curry... maybe this time's the charm.
cragganmor

Postby cragganmor » April 21, 2015, 10:12 pm

one guy that's pretty interesting, probably slotted to the 2nd round, is norm powell of ucla; a 6'4" sg with 6'11" reach, strong defensive presence and a good slasher to the cup, good rebounder and passer for his position, plays above the rim. he's a senior that already has muscle on his frame at ~210#, takes contact with no problems. he played well in the tourney, helped the bruins to the sweet 16 where they lost to the zags. he's played a very team-oriented game at ucla and might have some unexpected upside given some freedom in a pro setting.
cragganmor

Postby cragganmor » May 10, 2015, 9:56 am

sadly, the level of players at this years portsmouth invitation wasn't that great, but 2 guys that stood out were vcu's treveon graham, a long, 6'6" shooter/defender with some slashing ability and harvard's wesley saunders, a 6'5" sg with good ballhandling slashing, passing and rebounding skills.

1 guy that had a nice tournament was xavier's matt stainbrook, a 6'10" c with a smart game, averaged 19.5 pts and 9.5 rpg, shot over 73%; a pretty good passer out of the low post, averaged 2.4 apg this season. he still needs to get stronger, but has some interesting tools, skills and bb iq (he's an academic all-american with a finance degree).
cragganmor

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » May 10, 2015, 11:27 am

cragganmor wrote:sadly, the level of players at this years portsmouth invitation wasn't that great, but 2 guys that stood out were vcu's treveon graham, a long, 6'6" shooter/defender with some slashing ability and harvard's wesley saunders, a 6'5" sg with good ballhandling slashing, passing and rebounding skills.

1 guy that had a nice tournament was xavier's matt stainbrook, a 6'10" c with a smart game, averaged 19.5 pts and 9.5 rpg, shot over 73%; a pretty good passer out of the low post, averaged 2.4 apg this season. he still needs to get stronger, but has some interesting tools, skills and bb iq (he's an academic all-american with a finance degree).

Isn't the Portsmouth Invitational where the Better Call Saul-ish agents look for talent to send oversees in order to earn a quick buck?

I don't think any of the guys you mentioned here meet the criteria of being considered steals of the draft... Especially if none of 'em get drafted.

But I could be wrong. 8-)
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Next

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft