Emmanuel Mudiay Thread...

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Emmanuel Mudiay Thread...

Postby DolanCurse2001 » June 6, 2015, 5:45 pm

DolanCurse2001

Postby DolanCurse2001 » June 6, 2015, 5:52 pm

Don Che wrote:Lakers really like him apparently also...worked out with the logo the other day.

LA decides who we get. Only player I KNOW we won't get is Russell.

The rest are in play

Agreed. I don't buy this talk about the Wolves or Lakers taking a guard. I like Russell a lot but he doesn't have this Hall of Fame talent where you pass up on a big for him. I'm 100% convinced Towns and Okafor will go 1 and 2. I hope Philly takes Mudiay but nothing justifies it. Russell is the better and more talented prospect. There is just nothing Mudiay brings that Russell doesn't and Philly desperately needs a sure thing.
DolanCurse2001

Postby CommonSense » June 6, 2015, 6:27 pm

I don't get why it's such a given that Russell > Mudiay now. It was a debate all year and I continue to see some fluctuation from "experts" in terms of who the best PG prospect is. Russell's being mocked at 3 before Mudiay because people see Philly filling a need with him, not because he is far and away the better prospect. I could definitely see a scenario in which Philly takes Mudiay, in which case I have no doubt we would snag Russell.
The future ain't what it used to be~Yogi Berra
CommonSense

Postby BXGuy » June 6, 2015, 6:56 pm

To these Mudiay people defending the CBA.......did you even watch the games Mudiay played in ?

He got owned by Sun Yue. Yes. That 6"8 Guard formerly on the Lakers who was one of the worst nba players of all time.

I like Mudiay a lot, he's #3 on my big board behind Towns and Winslow. However , don't hype him up if you guys don't understand his statistics and who he was playing against in each game . Mudiays defense and turnover problem got exposed in China but he can work on those things. He has a long way to go, will be better than Exum and a starting PG. But kill the hype. You don't know or have evidence hell be a superstar.

Most of you guys don't even know his high school numbers but are willing to defend every player in the CBA.

I have a feeling Mudiay will be a top 3 player from this draft and that's because of his post up game, size at PG and passing skills. He's a unique talent and you won't find a PG lIke him unless George Lucas of Brazil develops into something.
The artist formally known as prguy.
BXGuy

Postby cragganmor » June 6, 2015, 11:36 pm

all you need to know about the cba is that toney douglas was a 25 ppg scorer in that league this season. there are other examples, andray blatche averaged 31 ppg and guys that can't even stick on an nba roster like pooh jeter averaged 24 ppg. defense is optional, everyone's stats are inflated. the things you can take away from cba footage is examination are the quality of certain moves, their ability to hit an open shot, a player's speed and elevation, their vision and decision making. cba defenders lack nba size, speed and strength; personally, i think they are a cut below the level of strong div 1 ncaa programs. they are not comparable. we see it all the time when a ncaa player looks great against college talent but struggles against legit nba defenders.

mundiay is the most physically talented guard in the draft, but he will face a tough adjustment period initially, facing grown men that are as big, stronger and just as fast as him. even kobe and lbj struggled their rookie seasons shooting a low percentage, why is he the exception? but given time, there is no reason why he can't polish his game, adapt.
cragganmor

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 7, 2015, 12:04 am

Nobody here is tryna hype up the CBA but you can't discredit Mudiay at 18 years old having the success he did playing in the CBA against grown men. Especially when the talent of some of the CBA's players is equal to, or in certain matchups exceeds anything that he woulda faced in the NCAA's...
It's the Triangle over EVERYTHING!!! Melo-God is on borrowed time...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby spree#8 » June 7, 2015, 5:09 am

CommonSense wrote:I don't get why it's such a given that Russell > Mudiay now. It was a debate all year and I continue to see some fluctuation from "experts" in terms of who the best PG prospect is. Russell's being mocked at 3 before Mudiay because people see Philly filling a need with him, not because he is far and away the better prospect. I could definitely see a scenario in which Philly takes Mudiay, in which case I have no doubt we would snag Russell.

Russell got the NCAA hype train rolling and will probably blow people away with his shooting in workouts. So unless he looks like a total stiff, there doesn't seem to be a way Russell is falling. I would gladly take him at four, but I think it will be Mudiay or Okafor who will be available.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby Don Che » June 7, 2015, 10:03 am

Based on what they showed of his workouts....he won't get picked at 2...we needed him to show up this workout to have a chance at towns....he was building a house out there....Willie trill looks like Reggie miller compared to this video of mudiays workout....smh
Don Che

Postby BXGuy » June 7, 2015, 11:32 am

Mudiay has a man's body. Let's not act like he's a frail teenager going against pros.

Guys like Mudiay and Winslow are adonis built so brute and powerfully. They would make amazing mma fighters or boxing heavyweights . These kids can bang. Their power game will translate beautifully to the NBA

I wish we can get both and get Towns too.

Imagine

Emmanuel Mudiay
Danny Green
Justise Winslow
Carmelo Anthony
Karl Towns

*orgasms*
The artist formally known as prguy.
BXGuy

Postby cragganmor » June 7, 2015, 11:43 am

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:Nobody here is tryna hype up the CBA but you can't discredit Mudiay at 18 years old having the success he did playing in the CBA against grown men. Especially when the talent of some of the CBA's players is equal to, or in certain matchups exceeds anything that he woulda faced in the NCAA's...

grown men that are slower, less vertical, cannot compete at an nba level, maybe not even at the better ncaa level. the defensive schemes are inferior to ncaa. guangdong's coaching is not on par with say brad stevens when he was with butler, nor shaka smart at vcu. do you think cba coaches are on par with coach k or bo ryan?

yi jianglin was a total bust in the nba, yet he's a star, averaging 30 ppg. grown man or not, the talent does not compare to nba nor ncaa.
cragganmor

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 7, 2015, 3:42 pm

cragganmor wrote:grown men that are slower, less vertical, cannot compete at an nba level, maybe not even at the better ncaa level. the defensive schemes are inferior to ncaa. guangdong's coaching is not on par with say brad stevens when he was with butler, nor shaka smart at vcu. do you think cba coaches are on par with coach k or bo ryan?

yi jianglin was a total bust in the nba, yet he's a star, averaging 30 ppg. grown man or not, the talent does not compare to nba nor ncaa.

We're goin' in circles...

Outta the thousands of basketball players who play in the NCAA's every year only a few of 'em are actually NBA caliber prospects while the majority of 'em will probably end up with jobs as teachers or sumthin... And of those few prospects most of 'em will only be fringe NBA players at best, so what exactly is ya beef with the CBA? Because contrary to popular belief the players who don't make it in the NBA, and don't wanna become the future teachers of the Millennials wind up playing in leagues just like the CBA...

So, by you tryna discredit the CBA you're actually ripping into the same guys you're tryna defend. :?

If Starbury, at 38 years old, played in the NCAA's today he'd be the best PG in the nation. Emmanuel Mudiay went head to head with him 3 times this season. Mudiay was also matched up against Dominque Jones who averaged 17 PPG his freshman season, 18 PPG his sophmore season, and then 21 PPG his junior season while at the University of South Florida. Derek "Pooh" Jeter was another good scorer Mudiay faced this season, Pooh averaged 19 PPG his senior season in the NCAA's... Matter of fact, in the twelve games Mudiay played in this season he faced an American born guard in all of them. All of whom were great scorers in the NCAA's with some of 'em being former NBA players themselves. Which to me seems like good competition for a young guard to gauge himself against.

On the flipside, how many times this season did Okafor get matched against another NBA prospect at his position??? What about Towns? WTCS? Winslow? Russell? Well, not so much Russell because we saw firsthand how he fared whenever he was matched up against NBA talent... My point being the elite guys in the NCAA's can play an entire season of basketball and only face another legitimate NBA prospect once. It would've been nice to have seen Okafor vs WTCS + Towns, Russell vs Delon Wright/Jerian Grant/Tyus Jones, or Winslow vs Rondae Hollis-Jefferson/Stanley Johnson, etc... What we got instead was a bunch of showcase games. Case in point, D'Angelo Russell's season. But you'd like me to believe that the competition in the NCAA's is far superior than anything you'll see from the CBA, right?

I'm not sayin' that the NCAA doesn't produce some great games but when it comes to matching up individual talent that doesn't happen nearly as frequently as you'd like to believe it does...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby cragganmor » June 7, 2015, 6:35 pm

you are arguing proof of mudiay's ability evidenced by matchups against dominique jones and pooh jeter, 2 guys that can't make any nba roster? believe what you want about the cba, but again you toss up some really curious ideas as "facts"; i doubt if anyone but you holds the cba in such high esteem.

em is undoubtedly talented, but those 2 other players are not the yardstick that make for a good measure of his ability.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » June 7, 2015, 9:13 pm

I guess the main point hes making is...Dominique Jones was an exceptional college player as was Pooh so all in all...em had better comp but I question the rest of the roster that didn't come from here....looked like the least athletic league I've seen but I get both points...tough argument
Don Che

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 9, 2015, 1:24 pm

cragganmor wrote:you are arguing proof of mudiay's ability evidenced by matchups against dominique jones and pooh jeter, 2 guys that can't make any nba roster? believe what you want about the cba, but again you toss up some really curious ideas as "facts"; i doubt if anyone but you holds the cba in such high esteem.

em is undoubtedly talented, but those 2 other players are not the yardstick that make for a good measure of his ability.

Tony Sabato, wouldn't even make a CBA roster but he got matched up against Jahlil Okafor this season. The same can be said about Jervon Pressley, playing against KAT. Or Phil Gaetano, getting matched up with D'Angelo Russell, etc... The NCAA's doesn't have a wealth of talent, so stop tryna con yaself into believing that it does.

In the twelve games Mudiay played in this season he was matched up against stiffer competition than what his peers faced in an entire season of the NCAA's...

Again, ALL of the guards Mudiay (18 years old during season) faced this season were either former NBA players and/or former great scorers from the NCAA's. The fact that they were unable to establish themselves in the NBA doesn't make them less credible. Sometimes securing an NBA career simply comes down to landing in the right place at the right time. Think Jeremy "Linsanity" Lin.

Lemme ask y'all this, how many players in the NCAA's are better players than Starbury???
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby spree#8 » June 11, 2015, 1:25 pm

For those of you who want a good read on Mudiay. Too long to quote: http://www.espn.co.uk/basketball/inside ... erall-pick
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby H20Knick » June 11, 2015, 1:59 pm

spree#8 wrote:For those of you who want a good read on Mudiay. Too long to quote: http://www.espn.co.uk/basketball/inside ... erall-pick

i need a tissue
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 11, 2015, 2:18 pm

Here's a portion of the article Spree#8 posted...

... Mudiay said the change to his body came out of necessity. The Chinese Basketball league is filled with NBA veterans and very loose officiating. He just got beaten up over there.

"The biggest adjustment for me was the physicality," Mudiay told ESPN.com. "It was ridiculous. They miss a lot of calls over there. I had to spend a lot of time in the weight room every single day. I dedicated myself to working on my body. At this point, I'm not trying to separate myself by saying this, but a lot of kids my age don't pay attention to their body this early. So by me going over there, that's another plus. By me focusing on my body, I feel like I'm more ready than most for the league."

The strength training hasn't just made him stronger. It also has made him more explosive. While Mudiay was always considered a good athlete, he wasn't necessarily a powerful one. His athleticism showed up more in quickness than elevation. But after watching him go through the workout in Los Angeles, he has definitely improved his vertical.

Compare him with the other elite point guards in this draft -- Russell, Cameron Payne, Tyus Jones, Jerian Grant, Delon Wright -- none has his combination of size, strength or athleticism.

Mudiay also picked up an incredible work ethic in China. He powered through the workout on Friday in ways that few young prospects can typically handle. I asked him about it after the workout and he credited his time in China.

"I learned a lot over there," Mudiay said. "Their work ethic is just ridiculous. They work so hard ... I did two-a-days in China, going hard, going hard every day. I came back here and understood what it was going to take. I take everything serious. It's a job now. It's not playing around like when you're a kid. I want to feed my family."

When it came to the skills portion of the workout, Mudiay showed improvement there as well, especially on his jump shot.

Last year, Mudiay's jumper was one of the biggest concerns scouts had about his game. Although he had made major strides during his senior season, it still was considered more of a liability. Mudiay shot 34 percent from 3 in his 12 games in China (13-for-38), though his sample size was very small. More of a concern is the fact he shot just 57 percent from the free throw line.

Shooting has been a major point of emphasis since he hurt his ankle in November, and on Friday, his stroke looked much improved. Mudiay is never going to be Stephen Curry. But his jump shot goes in -- a lot. He went through several stretches in the workout on Friday where he hit 4-of-5 in spot-up shooting from NBA 3-point range, from every position on the floor. He was even more accurate as he got to the college 3 and midrange game.

He still needs to quicken the release of the jumper and work on consistency, but he's not a non-shooter in the mold of someone like Rajon Rondo. As for his free throws, that definitely needs more work.

An NBA scout who watched him in China said: "His shot is OK. It's not broken. He can hit shots from anywhere on the floor. It's more about shot selection. At times he was forcing shots."

As for the other things -- ballhandling, quickness and creativity -- Mudiay has it. He's going to impress the Lakers, Knicks, Sixers and Timberwolves in workouts. He'll impress them to the point they'll all seriously rethink where he is right now on their boards.

"He's so impressive," trainer Joe Abunassar said after the workout. He compares Mudiay to a young Chauncey Billups or Baron Davis. "I've been doing this for a lot of years. So many of the kids we train don't know how to work. You have to push, push, push. Emmanuel, from day one, knew how to work. He knows how to prepare. He wants to get better. He already acts and carries himself like a pro. The maturity is incredible. You forget he's 19. You don't see that every day. And you especially don't see that when you factor in his physical tools."

The on-court stuff is not the most impressive thing about Mudiay. It's the maturity he exudes when you sit down and talk with him.

There are a number of really great young people in this draft. Towns is incredibly likable and intelligent. So is Russell. But Mudiay talks like a 10-year veteran who just gets it.

When discussing his decision to skip SMU to play in China, he talked about his mother, who raised him by herself after his father died when he was 1½, who moved him from the Democratic Republic of the Congo to Dallas when he was 5, who worked 12-hour days to support her family.

"A lot of people think it was because I couldn't get into SMU," Mudiay said. "But I got cleared to go to SMU. Everything was fine there. But I decided to help my mom out. She was struggling at the time.

"People can say what they say. I don't pay attention to that. I only care what God says, to be honest with you. You are going to have critics in life. People are going to talk but you can't feed into that and I don't feed into that. I try to inspire other people by what I did. My mom had been the backbone of our family since I was born. She's been the man and the woman. She's my motivation. To see her work 7 to 7. I didn't want her to go on like that no more."

Mudiay said the decision also was a savvy basketball one. It may not help his draft stock, but what he wanted was to get better. In his mind, that meant playing against other pros, not college kids.

"I wanted to focus solely on basketball," Mudiay said. "I had grown up playing with older people and I wanted the chance to play with professionals and see how I fared. I knew I wanted to play in the NBA, that was my goal. So why not try to challenge myself by going to a pro league? They play with NBA rules in China. [They have a] 24-second shot clock. I didn't want to come into the league as a kid. I wanted experience."

As for the experience of living in China itself?

"It's different. I don't know many people who can do it. There were grown men ready to go home -- some of them did go home. At the same time, I knew I had to do it. Basketball saved me. Every time I stepped onto the court, it didn't matter where I was at. Basketball is a universal language."

And when an ankle injury forced him to miss several months, he was alone in a strange country. "That's when I had to find myself," he said.

Find himself he did. After a year in China, he's stronger, faster and more skilled. He's more confident in his ability to play with the pros.

And he's humbled.

"I was in a poverty spot in Guangdong," Mudiay said. "I wasn't in Beijing or Shanghai. Here I am from Dallas, a big city. I don't take stuff for granted anymore. When I came back, I was so grateful for what I had."

And hungry.

"It's going to mean more to her [his mother] than me," Mudiay said when I asked him what it will mean to hear his name called on draft night. "I look at it like, yes, it's an accomplishment. But the real work actually starts when your name gets called. After my name gets called, I'm at zero. You got to put in the work. It's a celebration, but to me, you want to keep this feeling for a very long time. I haven't made anything. The real game has just started."

Several years ago, a former NBA GM relayed to me a conversation he had with his top-10 pick the day after he was drafted.

The news conference was over and the GM invited the rookie into his office to chat. At some point in the conversation, the GM told the rookie that he'd be getting his first check soon, and before he could finish, the rookie responded: "Just make it out to the 'Max.' I'm going to be a superstar."

"It was at that moment," the GM told me, "that I knew I had made a mistake. We drafted the wrong person. He had no idea what type of work it would take to make that type of money. The amount of effort that the top players expend to be the best. He already thought he made it."

The rookie lasted four seasons in the NBA, and only one with the team that drafted him. He never averaged more than 10 points per game.

The good ones -- the great ones -- are always hungry. They're always aware their best selves lie somewhere beyond the horizon. No matter the destination at which they arrive, it is never final nor fulfilling.

The real work to become an NBA star happens away from the hype. It takes place in the shadows and takes years to achieve that greatness.

The process is invisible to most.

Emmanuel Mudiay gets that.

Invisible to you doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

On June 25, he'll be invisible no more.

Since Mudiay is the "mystery-man" who played overseas the more information we have on him the better. Good find, Spree.

In regards to the article, I don't care what y'all say I know these sports writers get their material from all of us here at the nykfp forum...

It's like they use my comments as like Cliff Notes, or sumthin... Fuckin' mugs. 8-)
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby taowave » June 11, 2015, 3:38 pm

To me,the quote below is really all I had to hear...

"He's so impressive," trainer Joe Abunassar said after the workout. He compares Mudiay to a young Chauncey Billups or Baron Davis. "I've been doing this for a lot of years. So many of the kids we train don't know how to work. You have to push, push, push. Emmanuel, from day one, knew how to work. He knows how to prepare. He wants to get better. He already acts and carries himself like a pro. The maturity is incredible. You forget he's 19. You don't see that every day. And you especially don't see that when you factor in his physical tools."
taowave

Postby H20Knick » June 11, 2015, 4:40 pm

you would think that a chinese team that's won 7 out of the last 10 championships would have a harder practice regiment than your average ncaa program where the kids are supposed to occasionally consider going to class. For all the talk about how the chinese players aren't great, that means to be dominant, they've gotta practice harder. Mudiay was on the right team. He should be ready. Please lawd let him fall to 4
"Stay true. Orange and Blue" - Jeff Van Gundy

2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION

I'm down with K-PorZee
H20Knick

Postby nazrmohamed » June 11, 2015, 5:29 pm

I almost wish more that ask these good articles don't come out. Im scared he won't be there at 4
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft