Jahlil Okafor Thread

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Jahlil Okafor Thread

Postby nazrmohamed » May 5, 2015, 2:00 pm

cragganmor wrote:while okafor did drop weight before going to duke, he could still improve quite a bit physically; he's not what you call chiseled by any means. getting much stronger would help him take the contact that he'll get down low (and it only gets more physical in the nba); take a bump on offense and not yield position on defense.

i don't expect him to be an explosive dunker, but he has to be quick in the paint and know where the right position is so he can use his size and length to bother the ballhandler.

and of course, he's gotta hit ft's consistently, just makes the game easier for the team. i don't want to wait for the rules committee to outlaw the hack-a-shaq, might not ever happen.

So much can be done in 4 mos with a personal trainer and diet. I've seen posters here like drop 15 in a summer. But the guy I remember the most, and I said it in the WCS thread is Kevin Love. Someone mentioned Udonis Haslem. I remember Love in college with a build similar to Andrew Bynum. Dude was shaped like a barrel with legs. UCLA loses in the tournament, I forget about him for a bit. Next thing I see him is at the draft and the guy looks like dude from the movie "Thinner". I mean chiseled face, everything.

At C I wouldn't way Okofor to lose all his girth but yeah, he could work on those fast twitch muscles and you'd be surprised how nimble he is now. Him losing another 7-10 lbs and getting chiseled would go as long way. Make him a quick jumper and could improve things like rebounding as well.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby DolanCurse2001 » May 6, 2015, 8:19 am

Jahlil Okafor, C, Duke

Okafor is one of the most polished post scorers in recent memory. He possesses a wide range of moves that, coupled with his size and strength, make him nearly impossible to stop when he catches the ball near the basket. Yet there are several holes in his game that could be exposed at the next level. For one, Okafor is not an elite shot-blocker; his 4.5 block percentage ranked No. 245 in Division I, according to Kenpom.com, and pales in comparison to the 11.7 figure his likely top-two counterpart, Karl-Anthony Towns, posted at Kentucky this season. The Duke product also could be the victim of a Hack-a-Jahlil strategy, as he knocked down only 51.1% of his free throws. There are also questions over his ability to defend ball screens.

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/04/nba-dr ... w-harrison
DolanCurse2001

Postby Don Che » May 6, 2015, 11:52 am

its just weird because he has good form...and a decent flow to his shot.

Like Mudiay , Okafor's best asset is he knows who he is. He knows he's living in the post..problem is the only way he will be able to do damage there is by getting a 15 footer to keep things honest.

A 15 footer, his ability to put the ball on the floor AND his post moves would be insane. But his free throw shooting/defense(including defensive rebounding) is going to depict him being a Al Jefferson kinda player(all star once ina while) to a Moses Malone(hall of fame/generational player) kind of player
Don Che

Postby DolanCurse2001 » May 8, 2015, 3:14 pm

DolanCurse2001

Postby DolanCurse2001 » May 17, 2015, 8:35 am

After the ESPN cameras were packed away and all the NBA general managers, scouts and agents had left Quest Gym, host of the NBA draft combine, center Jahlil Okafor snuck inside Friday night under the cover of darkness.

Okafor skipped the combine, working out instead in Santa Barbara, Calif., feeling there was no point in meeting with teams before the lottery positioned the clubs.

But the Chicago native, expected to be either the first- or second-overall selection in the June 25 draft, wasn’t going to miss his regular workout with trainer Rick Lewis at their hometown gym. They worked for an hour and 45 minutes as the 6-foot-11 Okafor continues molding into the best shape of his life. Not a scout was in sight.

“We’ve taken 12 pounds of fat off him since the season ended, not muscle but fat,’’ Lewis told The Post. “His conditioning is building.”

The knock on Okafor late in the season was his conditioning. Lewis agreed, saying he believes an ankle injury suffered in February against North Carolina set Okafor back.

“I think he lost his conditioning at end of season because he couldn’t practice,’’ Lewis said. “His body type, he needs to practice and work hard constantly.’’

Okafor flew into Chicago as the combine ended to attend a cousin’s community-college graduation on Saturday. Then he is off to New York on Monday to hold meetings with the NBA before the lottery. The Knicks are seeded second, and if they stay in that position, they likely will have the low-post scoring machine fall to them, with Kentucky’s Karl-Anthony Towns getting top-pick consideration.

Okafor declined comment on the Knicks, but Lewis addressed the most pressing issue — the conventional wisdom Okafor’s defense pales in comparison to that of Towns, something Lewis disputes.

He said he feels Okafor’s role in Duke’s scheme as a stay-at-home pivot didn’t showcase all his attributes.

Lewis, who has worked with Okafor since the center was in eighth grade, thinks the big man was conscious of not getting into foul trouble and didn’t want to take risks on defense.

“Defensively there is no issue with his lateral movement or rim protection,’’ Lewis said. “Every team has a different style of defense and scheme of defense that they promote off the pick and roll. In his last two years of high school, he had an aggressive defensive scheme and had to come up and defend on the pick and roll, and was able to.”

“When you get a coach whose assignments are different, he has to do what his coaches tell him to do. The rim protection piece is basically foul trouble. Having guards coming at you, he was trying to stay out of foul trouble, trying to stay on the floor versus being off the floor. You will see his lateral movement and rim protection and see him defend help-side defense and on-the-ball defense. They allow more contract in the NBA.’’

Lewis said he believes Towns excels as an excellent weak-side defender in helping in rotations, but hasn’t distinguished himself as an on-ball defender.

Duke teammate Justise Winslow, a projected high lottery pick, said of Okafor at the combine: “He’s a great player — offense and defensively. When he’s locked in on defense, it’s hard to say if anybody’s better than him in the country. On the block he’s unstoppable, and a lot of teams had to double him and he can step back and hit a 15-to-17-foot jump shot. He actually has great ballhandling skills for a big man.’’

Winslow said Okafor has to be more consistent with his defensive effort.

“All players struggle with something,” Winslow said. “There’s definitely segments when his defense is unbelievable. but with all of us it’s taking the weaknesses and turning them into strengths.”

ESPN’s combine host Fran Fraschilla said Okafor would help the Knicks next season more than Towns and called Okafor “Grand Central Station’’ in the NCAA Tournament games involving Duke.

“He’ll have more space to work,’’ Lewis said of Okafor. “That’s where offensively, he’s definitely going to be prepared. His offensive game is there and you’ll get to see his lateral movement. His footwork is just as good offensively as defensively.’’

During the workout, Okafor did defensive drills and “plate work.’’ In a specially devised program, Lewis has Okafor lift only the weight plates without a bar to work on muscles usually ignored in regular weight-lifting. It’s part of an injury prevention program as Okafor inches closer to possibly joining the Knicks.
DolanCurse2001

Postby DolanCurse2001 » May 18, 2015, 6:46 am

“I would go with Okafor,’’ Hill, the CBS/TNT college basketball analyst, told The Post after the NBA Draft Combine ended Saturday in Chicago. “Between the two, he’s more ready to come in and leave an imprint and impact right from the start. Both will be great players, but Jahlil is more polished at this point and NBA-ready in the post than Towns. Towns at this point might have a nod on the defensive end but offensively it’s Okafor.’’

“I saw him play a lot this year in person and on television,’’ Hill said. “I actually thought at the end of the year, the last six games, he actually did a pretty good job defensively. Early on, I thought it was his Achilles’ heel. A couple of things played a role in that. A big guy coming out of high school is still learning how to play defense.’’
Hill was a teammate of center Dwight Howard when Howard was a rookie in Orlando. Howard, who had entered the NBA out of high school, struggled on defense, according to Hill.
“That’s what Jahlil is going through,’’ Hill said. “And the team really needed Jahlil on the court and he was very selective in terms of blocking shots and being a rim protector for fear of fouls. But at the end of the season, his screen and roll defense improved.”
Because Towns played on Kentucky’s superteam, Hill didn’t get enough of a feel for his game, though NBA scouts peg Towns as having the higher upside because he has potential to be a monster defender, too.
“They’re both great players but it’s different circumstances,’’ Hill said. “Towns didn’t get a lot of minutes and the depth of Kentucky, there wasn’t a need on the offensive end. And he wasn’t needed from a minutes standpoint like Okafor was. I didn’t get a chance from an offensive end to see what he could do.’’
DolanCurse2001

Postby Don Che » May 18, 2015, 7:09 am

All of these are valid points..I think Okafor playing so mediocre at the end and Towns playing so well at the end is what ppl see the most.

Kid gotta fix his free throws tho....he has too good of form to be that bad at it....he's not athletic enough to survive without a 15 footer and free throws...kid would BEAST on offense with those 2 things
Don Che

Postby DolanCurse2001 » May 19, 2015, 7:34 am

DolanCurse2001

Postby Nononsense » May 19, 2015, 8:10 am

Guys, I'm starting to lean towards Okafor as my top preference. I know his defensive issues are well noted, but I think the dude is going to be special. As the article above points out, he's not as horrible as some make it out to be. He has all the tools to be at least average defensively and could turn out to be above average. I just don't see Eddie Curry type of laziness in Okafor. Really think he has a great personality and seems like a great teammate and when watching his interviews, he seems like a a natural born winner.

That being said, I hope he's in a Knick uniform and on our summer league squad in July. :happy:
Nononsense

Postby taowave » May 19, 2015, 8:57 am

Phil can say whatever he wants.Okafor is his guy..

Nononsense wrote:Guys, I'm starting to lean towards Okafor as my top preference. I know his defensive issues are well noted, but I think the dude is going to be special. As the article above points out, he's not as horrible as some make it out to be. He has all the tools to be at least average defensively and could turn out to be above average. I just don't see Eddie Curry type of laziness in Okafor. Really think he has a great personality and seems like a great teammate and when watching his interviews, he seems like a a natural born winner.

That being said, I hope he's in a Knick uniform and on our summer league squad in July. :happy:
taowave

Postby DolanCurse2001 » May 19, 2015, 9:01 am

I'll be very happy with Okafor. Coaching and the supporting cast will be key in his development and success. It will be very important to find him the right fit next to him upfront. I think getting him a rugged bruiser next to him would be ideal. Kind of what Ewing had with Oakley and Mason.
DolanCurse2001

Postby thewatcher » May 19, 2015, 9:01 am

**thats what I think too Tao. I guess because he's my guy too. (I'd also be thrilled to walk away with Towns).
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby Don Che » May 19, 2015, 9:46 am

i think in the 90's..Oakley was perfect next to Ewing who was already a good player in his own right but in today's NBA and having Melo here. If we are lucky enough to get Okafor..I say we get an athletic/high motor kind of player that makes plays defensively and rebounds.

Al-Farouq Aminu

due to age/price/skill set he would be a nice fit. Hes a guy that can guard either 3 or 4 spot which Melo is the same way and isn't skilled enough to be a 3 everyday but def skilled enough to be a 4.

He would give a nice balance between 2 scorers..a guy who per 36 mins puts up 10 rebounds/around 2 blocks and almost 1.5 steals a game. Exactly what we need with 2 below the rim players.
Don Che

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » May 19, 2015, 9:47 am

I have no doubt that Okafor will be the number overall pick...

I'm a defense first kinda guy so of course I hate the fact that he's is incapable of becoming a solid/good defender but there's no denying that his skill set will translate to the NBA. Which makes him (and Mudiay) the most NBA ready player(s) in this draft.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby taowave » May 19, 2015, 10:21 am

I can't imagine Phil passing on Okafor. IMHO,he has skills,much like Russel. If Phil likes Gasol,what's not to like about Okafor?

Let's not forget,he's 19 and never had NBA conditioning.

We need to be a top 3 pick with Philly a top 2.

thewatcher wrote:**thats what I think too Tao. I guess because he's my guy too. (I'd also be thrilled to walk away with Towns).
taowave

Postby taowave » May 19, 2015, 10:24 am

I can live with Mudiay or Okafor,but prefer Okafor.

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:I have no doubt that Okafor will be the number overall pick...

I'm a defense first kinda guy so of course I hate the fact that he's is incapable of becoming a solid/good defender but there's no denying that his skill set will translate to the NBA. Which makes him (and Mudiay) the most NBA ready player(s) in this draft.
taowave

Postby rebound » May 19, 2015, 12:14 pm

Hoping for Okafor would be happy with Towns,Mudiay, Russell,Winslow,Hezonja in no particular order.
Team Mills
rebound

Postby Don Che » May 19, 2015, 12:40 pm

I dont want Philly ahead of us....best case IMO is us being 1 or 2...Philly is 5 and LA is 4... while the Heat lose their pick so Philly gets 2.

Allows us the freedom to trade our pick to Philly for 2.

Trade Melo to LA and take their pick

or neither and the Heat lose on a pick.

WIN-WIN
Don Che

Postby taowave » May 19, 2015, 12:49 pm

Of course 1 or 2 is the goal,but I want the big Fella..
Can't imagine Philly drafting another 5.

Are there any 4's who can play some D and rebound?

Don Che wrote:I dont want Philly ahead of us....best case IMO is us being 1 or 2...Philly is 5 and LA is 4... while the Heat lose their pick so Philly gets 2.

Allows us the freedom to trade our pick to Philly for 2.

Trade Melo to LA and take their pick

or neither and the Heat lose on a pick.

WIN-WIN
taowave

Postby Don Che » May 19, 2015, 1:32 pm

Bobby Portis maybe..but he's a mid 1st rounder...someone i'd consider if we trade for 2 picks.
Don Che

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft