Jahlil Okafor Thread

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Jahlil Okafor Thread

Postby DolanCurse2001 » April 28, 2015, 12:13 pm

I love Draymond Green but not at the max and the way he's played in the playoffs, he's getting that max. I'd be content with Amir Johnson at half the price or maybe Brandon Bass at a third of the price.
DolanCurse2001

Postby DolanCurse2001 » April 28, 2015, 12:31 pm

DraftExpress also has us with Okafor at 2.

2. Jahlil Okafor
C (Duke - Freshman)
19.3 years old | 6'11" | 272 lbs

2013-14 NCAA (38 GP)
17.3 PPG 8.6 RPG 1.3 APG 31.0 PER
Jahlil Okafor 2015 NBA Draft Scouting Video - Strengths
Watch Video
The Knicks sported the second worst offense in the NBA last year, and thus could clearly use a shot in the arm on this end of the floor. It remains to be seen how good of a fit Okafor is alongside the ball-dominant, mid to low-post oriented Carmelo Anthony, but it's not clear how the former superstar fits into New York's future at all. The Knicks' old-fashioned Triangle offense made them one of the most post-up heavy teams in the NBA last year, and that is Okafor's specialty. His passing ability will be very attractive here.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3YcdrVck3
http://www.draftexpress.com
DolanCurse2001

Postby Don Che » April 28, 2015, 3:12 pm

I really dont know if thats a smart move on our part...we werent good on defense either.
Don Che

Postby DolanCurse2001 » April 29, 2015, 8:07 am

2. New York Knicks – Jahlil Okafor, C, Duke

For the last few years, scouts have raved about Okafor’s advanced post game and that he could be the next great prospect with a dominating back-to-the-basket game.

It’s true Okafor has a great post presence and is very sound fundamentally, and if he can add some range to his repertoire … watch out. But for now, he is an atrocious FT shooter (51 percent) but a beast in the paint (17.3 ppg, .664 FG pct.)

While Duke cut down the nets in Indianapolis, Okafor was a key player as a true freshman. But scouts will need to see Okafor pass the eye test and measure out at the NBA Combine, as concerns about his conditioning and lack of explosion will follow him during the pre-draft workouts.

Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/04/29 ... BY7xDe8.99
DolanCurse2001

Postby Don Che » April 29, 2015, 3:24 pm

I dont know what to think with this kid.

Never seen a kid so efficient on one end of the floor and so bad on the other side at his position.

Duncan went into college the other way...great defense..horrible offense and he ironed it out.

I'm not sure our mentality as a team is a good fit for Jahlil...i can see him doing great in Orlando..smaller market..good PG there and all the wings have some talent there....NV can play the 4 I guess. lord knows but with us he'd be eaten alive for the things he can't do rather then getting appreciation for what he does better then anyone his age the past 20 years.
Don Che

Postby thewatcher » April 29, 2015, 4:44 pm

I don't think so Don. I have a gut feeling he will shine here, light up Broadway with that magic-Johnson smile, I would love to get him here.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby DolanCurse2001 » April 29, 2015, 9:44 pm

It just hit me watching this game. Okafor is Brook Lopez.
DolanCurse2001

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 29, 2015, 10:04 pm

^^^
I think big j was sayin' the same thing about him at the beginning of the season...

Y'all already know my views on Okafor but I think he'll end up being a more effective player than Lopez. :?
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby big_j_NY » April 29, 2015, 10:43 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:^^^
I think big j was sayin' the same thing about him at the beginning of the season...

Y'all already know my views on Okafor but I think he'll end up being a more effective player than Lopez. :?

Skillset-wise, he is better than Lopez was as a freshman in college. So I agree with your statement, KFSF.

But otherwise, I don't see Okafor making dramatic improvements defensively due to his lack of athleticism...........and at best, his defense will be as good as Brook Lopez's defense
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Don Che » April 30, 2015, 9:15 am

If Okafor's defense was like Brooks....I would have NO issues with him.

If Okafor's jump shot/free throws was like Brooks...I would have less issues with him.

Okafor is better downlow and I'd assume tougher but if he protected the paint..I'd be good money with pickin him..but he doesnt nor guard the pick and roll.

I dunno guys..hope I'm wrong....same thing I said for Tim Hardaway Jr.
Don Che

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » April 30, 2015, 10:36 am

big_j_NY wrote:Skillset-wise, he is better than Lopez was as a freshman in college. So I agree with your statement, KFSF.

But otherwise, I don't see Okafor making dramatic improvements defensively due to his lack of athleticism...........and at best, his defense will be as good as Brook Lopez's defense

I think Okafor will be a more effective offensive player than Lopez.

As for their defensive abilities both of 'em are equally horrible but at this point I honestly doubt anyone could be any worse than what I've seen from Okafor this season... And he was playing against college kids. Things will only get worse for him from here on out.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby DolanCurse2001 » April 30, 2015, 10:55 am

Okafor plays solid man to man post D. Especially in the final minutes of games. But he struggles in other areas. Like Lopez, Okafor will struggle on pick-and-rolls, help D and you simply cannot have him check a mobile 4. There will be growing pains but he's a smart kid who works hard. He will improve. I have no problem with taking him. Even if he ends up like Lopez. As long as he's not Kwame or Olowokandi!
DolanCurse2001

Postby Don Che » April 30, 2015, 11:07 am

agreed...he's gonna look worse defensively in the NBA...and ina year or 2..he's gonna look like he did this year with college kids..in the NBA.

This pick..in our situation..needs to be EXCEPTIONAL...no moral victories with this pick. We dont have one next year..we swap the year after that and our best player is 30.

So I'm not in this to save face..we need the homerun here to survive...unless we trade Melo for picks/young talent and go from there(which I'm totally down for) but if we aren't..we gotta draft a stud.
Don Che

Postby spree#8 » May 2, 2015, 4:04 am

Don Che wrote:agreed...he's gonna look worse defensively in the NBA...and ina year or 2..he's gonna look like he did this year with college kids..in the NBA.

This pick..in our situation..needs to be EXCEPTIONAL...no moral victories with this pick. We dont have one next year..we swap the year after that and our best player is 30.

So I'm not in this to save face..we need the homerun here to survive...unless we trade Melo for picks/young talent and go from there(which I'm totally down for) but if we aren't..we gotta draft a stud.

Huh? We don't. We swap in 2016 if our pick is better than Denver's and then ship the swapped pick to Toronto or we keep our pick if we are better than Denver and then ship our worse pick directly to Toronto. No trades made with our 2017 pick yet (and we can't until draft night 2016, because we don't have a 2016 first round pick).

But I agree, that it would be vital to get a star potential kid in this years draft, because this should be our highest pick in and for quite some time.
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby nazrmohamed » May 2, 2015, 10:31 am

Jahlil has more go to ability than any player in this draft. He's a guy you can get and then in free agency focus on getting maybe three high impact role players and feel good about your teams balance. I mean, you could go get both Greens and can still say you got two stars. I think Okofor will be good on offense right away.

But I'm not on the market for the guy who will be a star the fastest. My star is going to be signed in free agency in terms of players who need to be championship ready next year. My rookie Id rather be well rounded, but then still will become a star maybe in three years. At every step up until that point he'll still be a solid starter....just not the secondary focal point of my offense. That role I hope to give to Aldridge or Monroe.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Nononsense » May 2, 2015, 12:41 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:But I'm not on the market for the guy who will be a star the fastest. My star is going to be signed in free agency in terms of players who need to be championship ready next year. My rookie Id rather be well rounded, but then still will become a star maybe in three years. At every step up until that point he'll still be a solid starter....just not the secondary focal point of my offense. That role I hope to give to Aldridge or Monroe.

Sounds to me like you just described Towns. :thumbsup:

I'm not a huge proponent of Monroe and--to a lesser extent--Aldridge, but I do think a frontcourt of Melo/Aldridge/Towns can be everything that we expected out of Melo/Amare/Tyson when that trio was formed. Go back and read the posts when we first acquired Tyson Chandler. People were stoked. I liked Tyson but loathed the idea of using the amnesty provision on Billups to make it happen. And this is no hindsight I'm talking about either. I hated it at the time it was rumored to happen. But from a pure basketball perspective, I couldn't help but get excited when I say Tyson don that Knick jersey for the first time. We finally had a defensive presence in the middle to somewhat balance Melo and Amare. But due to Amare's deteriorating body (the guy actually injured himself while jumping up and tapping the backboard in a pregame warm-up... in the Playoffs of all places!!), his bone-headedness (striking that blasted glass-casing to that fire extinguisher, another untimely incident during the Playoffs), an ever-changing front office, and musical chairs at our head coaching position, all of JR Smith's antics (Shoelace Gate, The Boston Nightmare, et al), and just bad culture in general, the trio of Melo/Amare/Tyson never paid dividends the way we envisioned. Fast-forward to today: I think Melo/Aldridge/Towns can be what we expected Melo/Amare/Tyson to be and perhaps even more. I'm not necessarily lobbying for Aldridge. In fact, I'm on record saying that I prefer we don't sign any more guys to a max contract if they aren't above average defensively. But I'd honestly welcome a frontcourt of Melo/Aldridge/Towns. As a true Knick fan that bleeds Orange & Blue, how could you not get excited over that trio?

If we could get Aldridge starting at around $18 mil and Wesley Matthews starting at around $7 mil, we'd look something like this:

PG - Calderon / Galloway
SG - Matthews / Shved
SF - Melo / Thanasis
PF - Aldridge / Amundson
C - Towns / Aldrich

Pretty good balance of offense/defense. If they gel, with good coaching, this group could be a top team in the East.
Nononsense

Postby Don Che » May 4, 2015, 12:53 pm

Do you guys think that Jahlil's weaknesses are conditioning related? (Free Throws/Defense)

Because if he can shoot 60% and up...and protect the rim...nuff said.

Using history as a guide is what scares me..but it hit me what if he took his conditioning seriously..do you guys think he does already? is this the peak? or just the beginning.

I'd like to add he did lose 15-20 pounds before going to Duke.
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » May 4, 2015, 3:01 pm

His weaknesses can definitely be fixed but thing about fixing your defense is when you can easily average 20pts people tend to not hold you to it. And I know cuz Carmelo gets the same pass.
I'll invest in only one offensive sink or swim player, thank you.

It's just too much work then finding teammates to cover that player and then you gotta make sure that by doing that they can still score. I could pull it off if you wanna see but it's not easy.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » May 4, 2015, 3:32 pm

very true..im not saying your wrong at all but...thats on Phil and Fisher to push this kid or whoever we draft.

like even if Mudiay goes 15/5/5 his rookie year..but shoots 50% from the FT line..i'd still hold him accountable to do those things.

Free Throws/Not Turning the ball over/effort on defense

needs to come from EVERYONE...not just role players on a championship team..unless this guy is dropping 30 a game on a high %. no one in this draft is that good.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » May 4, 2015, 10:32 pm

while okafor did drop weight before going to duke, he could still improve quite a bit physically; he's not what you call chiseled by any means. getting much stronger would help him take the contact that he'll get down low (and it only gets more physical in the nba); take a bump on offense and not yield position on defense.

i don't expect him to be an explosive dunker, but he has to be quick in the paint and know where the right position is so he can use his size and length to bother the ballhandler.

and of course, he's gotta hit ft's consistently, just makes the game easier for the team. i don't want to wait for the rules committee to outlaw the hack-a-shaq, might not ever happen.
cragganmor

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft