Draft Combine Athleticism Tests

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

dx did their own composite ranking based on the athleticism tests (standing vert, max vert, 185# bench press, lane agility and 3/4 court sprint), here's the top 30:
1 Darius Johnson-Odom
2 Harrison Barnes
3 Jordan Taylor
4 Marcus Denmon
5 Jeff Taylor
6 Quincy Acy
7 Miles Plumlee
8 Orlando Johnson
9 Bradley Beal
10 Marquis Teague
11 Perry Jones
12 Arnett Moultrie
13 Damian Lillard
14 Darius Miller
15 Moe Harkless
16 Jae Crowder
17 JaMychal Green
18 Tony Wroten
19 Festus Ezeli
20 Kevin Murphy
21 Andre Drummond
22 John Jenkins
23 Meyers Leonard
24 Jeremy Lamb
25 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
26 Terrence Ross
27 Tyshawn Taylor
28 Scott Machado
29 Thomas Robinson
30 Tyler Zeller
pretty impressive showing by djo, he's only 6'3" but with a 6'6.5" wingspan. i wish he had better playmaking ability, but he's pretty much a sg. very surprising that mkg was #25 (in a bad way) and miles plumlee was #7 (in a good way). i like djo and plumlee (among others) at #48.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1123

Isn't one of Harrison Barnes' weaknesses entering into the draft the fact that he doesn't possess NBA-ready athleticism?

Judging by the draft combine results, it appears the scouts are probably shocked by now that Harrison Barnes is one of the top 2 athletic NBA prospects
NYKCroatia
Likes given: 1

#1 pick not even in the top 30 :blink:
big_j_NY

NYKCroatia wrote:#1 pick not even in the top 30 :blink:
Draft Combine Article Excerpt wrote:To be noted: Anthony Davis, Dion Waiters, Royce White, and Tomas Satoransky did not participate, Oregon State guard Jared Cunningham participated only in the bench press, and Kim English, Kyle O’Quinn, and Kendall Marshall did not take part in the bench press. John Henson was slowed by an ankle injury and skipped portions of the speed and agility testing.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... -released/
That should answer your question

Although, if Davis did participate.............I believe Barnes would've still ranked somewhere in the Top 5 of the overall athleticism tests
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Wasn't Shump number 1 last year? Get Odom! nah just playin..I'd like Kevin Murphy a whole lot also.
cragganmor

big_j_NY wrote:Isn't one of Harrison Barnes' weaknesses entering into the draft the fact that he doesn't possess NBA-ready athleticism?

Judging by the draft combine results, it appears the scouts are probably shocked by now that Harrison Barnes is one of the top 2 athletic NBA prospects
yeah, surprising how well he did. now of course, the question pops up, "why didn't he do more with those awesome tools?". he definitely helped his draft stock by raising his ceiling.
big_j_NY

cragganmor wrote: yeah, surprising how well he did. now of course, the question pops up, "why didn't he do more with those awesome tools?". he definitely helped his draft stock by raising his ceiling.
Prior to the Draft Combine, Barnes was essentially a Top 7 Prospect in the Draft. Now, he's essentially making himself look like THE POTENTIAL FRANCHISE PLAYER that he was projected to be back in High School...........aka, a Top 5 lottery pick.

People are still putting Kidd-Gilchrist over Barnes though in their mock drafts.........which is retarded b/c Kidd-Gilchrist HAS NO JUMPSHOT WHATSOEVER in comparison to Harrison Barnes who has a pretty lethal mid-range jumper and improving 3 pt jumper.

That being said.....he's definitely going to be Cleveland's replacement for Lebron James when draft night comes. And with Kyrie Irving alongside Barnes, that kid will definitely have develop well.
cragganmor

the only reason i can think of that barnes didn't take over and dominate is the unc system, guys always tone down their athleticism to do things the unc way. even mj wasn't that spectacular playing for dean smith, but once he was let loose as a pro, he could show off all his talents.

yeah, i like mkg a lot, but his perimeter shot looks broken. his physical gifts won't allow him to run over the competition in the pros.

if i'm the bobcats or the wiz, then it's a tough decision at #2 or 3. do you take a big man or the swing with the very high ceiling?
big_j_NY

cragganmor wrote:the only reason i can think of that barnes didn't take over and dominate is the unc system, guys always tone down their athleticism to do things the unc way. even mj wasn't that spectacular playing for dean smith, but once he was let loose as a pro, he could show off all his talents.

if i'm the bobcats or the wiz, then it's a tough decision at #2 or 3. do you take a big man or the swing with the very high ceiling?
Well the only knock on him right now is that...........Barnes "isn't clutch" and he can't create his own shot as well as elite players. The athleticism question has been answered b/c he CLEARLY has ELITE-LEVEL ATHLETICISM. But as seen on the Big Stage of the NCAA tournament, he kinda collapsed when he didn't have Kendall Marshall passing him the ball.

If you remove the fact that Barnes practically choked in this year's NCAA tournament and the fact that Barnes is still learning how to be an elite playmaker, Barnes is ideally THE BEST SWINGMEN IN THE DRAFT.

I've been saying for months that Barnes is CLEARLY, CLEARLY a future star SF in the NBA........and this is a good telling sign with his athleticism being shown as ELITE