Knick Draft Workout 6/5

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

JaMychal Green, F, 6-8, 240, Alabama, Senior

• Robbie Hummel, F, 6-8, 215, Purdue, Senior
• Quincy Roberts, G, 6-5, 195, Grambling State, Junior
• Chris Smith, G, 6-2, 195, Louisville, Senior
• Jordan Theodore, G, 6-0, 174, Seton Hall, Senior
• Alex Young, G/F, 6-6, 212, IUPUI, Senior

green is the highest profile guy in the group, having played extremely well at portsmouth; his length, athleticism, motor, rebounding, defense and skills really impressed a lot of people. however, he does have a history of off-court baggage, suspended several times while at 'bama.

hummel is an interesting guy should we lose novak. still a lights out shooter but very slow footed, especially after 2 acl surgeries.

i hope alex young impresses. this is a very high upside kid, with excellent athleticism but needs his skills to catch up to his tools. i like the idea of drafting him at #48 and letting him develop; coach w probably won't play him much at all in his rookie season. can slash very effectively as a lefty and a good shooter, good defender.
NYKCroatia
Likes given: 1

cragganmor wrote: • Chris Smith, G, 6-2, 195, Louisville, Senior
Chris Smith is J.R.'s little brother
Isa Soulstar
Likes given: 2

We seem entirely focused on drafting an additional wing player, as opposed to potentially drafting and developing a potential PG. Woodson seems to be looking to build the Atlanta Hawks all over again, while the free agency will probably be more focused on bringing in a veteran at the point. If Woodson's strategy is the same as in the A, he'll be looking for players that'll either create for themselves or fire-away from the arc as to supplement a bailout for the Iso players, or uber-athletic, shot blocking, and versatile big men to switch on screens, forcing the opposing team to shoot long balls for long rebounds.

Hope they know what they're doing.
oOoO...VOTE REPUBLICAN...OoOo
cragganmor

it's not a deep pg draft.

woody will push for a vet reserve pg along the lines of d-fish, anthony carter, aj price or boykins.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Yeah Isa, the PG prospects in this draft are so crappy that technically Jeremy Lin would've been drafted as a top 10 lottery pick if he was in this draft pool.

The only notable PG prospect on there that will be have any future in the NBA would be Tar Heel's graduate Kendall Marshall
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

I kindov like this guy Toney Wroten. I think he could be a surprize late first round player.
cragganmor

he's very athletic and long, excellent tools. an excellent slasher that can get to the stripe.

more of a sg than combo or pg. very turnover prone, no perimeter shot, poor ft shooter and very left-hand dominant. he's a guy that will need some work to really shine in the pros, but agree that the upside is there. the question is "will he be there at #48?"; many mocks have him in the lower 1st round.
nazrmohamed

cragganmor wrote:he's very athletic and long, excellent tools. an excellent slasher that can get to the stripe.

more of a sg than combo or pg. very turnover prone, no perimeter shot, poor ft shooter and very left-hand dominant. he's a guy that will need some work to really shine in the pros, but agree that the upside is there. the question is "will he be there at #48?"; many mocks have him in the lower 1st round.

Landry for pick 30.
Nononsense
Likes given: 0

Landry has proven that he can do all of that... AT THE NBA LEVEL!!! :arrow:
nazrmohamed

[quote="Nononsense"]Landry has proven that he can do all of that... AT THE NBA LEVEL!!! :arrow:[/

Landry hasnt done anything at an nba level since the first half of his rookie yr. the dude has no ability to create any offense and hes often used as a guard. Thats just unacceptable. At pick 30 there are guys with enough speed and handle to penetrate a defense with the ball in thier hands. Just look. And even if the pick doesnt replace Fields, Fields has already been replaced on our own team. Novak shoots better than him, Shumpert defends and slashes better than him and Melo is vastly superior to him. Then you got free agency which we were planning to look into anyway. Through all those avenues we can easily replace what Fields brings to the table but now you got a draft pick.
cragganmor

jmo, but fields was fine as a good role player in a motion offense the first half of last yr. he's just not skilled or athletic enough to bring something special to the rotation on the current squad.

we'd be better off investing in a high-upside player, an athlete that needs a bit of experience to let his skills catch up to his tools; such a player would be ultimately a better fit for us. in the meantime, a rugged and experienced defender like deshawn stevenson or a great pure shooter like ray allen would be a significant upgrade over landry in the starting sg spot.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Landry will not be traded.

With Lin you don't want to draft a young PG..doesnt make sense in a weak PG draft esp when theres plenty of good PG's in free agency.

We have to go with either a 3/4 tweener athlete or a 2 guard that can stroke it(very deep SG draft)

Like I said before..we can get Flynn for chump change and he is better then ANY PG in the this draft by a MILE let alone a PG we can take at 48.

Once Fields hits his jumpers I'll see all you guys jump back on the wagon..he's a young player and has one thing to fix. I'd put my money on him fixing it throughout his career.

Bowen couldn't shoot either...Ariza...Lee...Thebo..and a bajillion other players. Fields will be fine.
cragganmor

argee on the reserve pg; grunwald will look for a vet to fill that spot. however, if he can get a big combo guard that can play on/off the ball, he might just draft one as a project, as woody will probably make the kid just sit and learn during his rookie season.

yes, landry hitting his shots (perimeter & ft) is a good start, but bowen, ariza, lee and thabo are all good to excellent defenders; landry is not in their class.

i think grunwald will be looking for guys that can defend, pass and shoot the ball.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Don Che wrote:Landry will not be traded.

With Lin you don't want to draft a young PG..doesnt make sense in a weak PG draft esp when theres plenty of good PG's in free agency.

We have to go with either a 3/4 tweener athlete or a 2 guard that can stroke it(very deep SG draft)

Like I said before..we can get Flynn for chump change and he is better then ANY PG in the this draft by a MILE let alone a PG we can take at 48.

Once Fields hits his jumpers I'll see all you guys jump back on the wagon..he's a young player and has one thing to fix. I'd put my money on him fixing it throughout his career.

Bowen couldn't shoot either...Ariza...Lee...Thebo..and a bajillion other players. Fields will be fine.
I didn't see Fields play defense this year consistently enough...........so that right there ends that fucking argument.

All the players you've listed, Bowen, Ariza, Thabo, Courtney Lee..............play better consistent defense than Fields. When the big lights come on, Fields can't defend a fire pole.

If Fields signs back for cheap, great. But I'd rather go after a veteran with better quality play than a player like Fields who can't shoot in a half-court system NOR play consistent defense