PG in 2011 Draft

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

cragganmor
Likes given: 93

While I like Kemba, there's no way he'll be there for us at #17. I'm not a fan of Jimmer, the guy needs over 20 shots per game, plays zero D and must have the ball in his hands most of the time to be effective. But there is some talent in this draft:

- Darius Morris, 6'4" (Mich.) an elusive penetrator, gets into the lane to create shots for his teammates. His shooting is improving and will need to continually improve for him to make it in the NBA. Has the size, strength and length to guard both guard spots.

- Charles Jenkins 6'3" (Hofstra), the best kept secret in NCAA. He manages to be smart and ultra-efficient, needing only 14 shots per game to get his 22 pts. He routinely torched George Mason for 32 and 22 pts. Top 3 in isolation scoring, Top 10 in Pick and Roll scoring, Top 25 in catch and shoot. Only Kyrie Irving had a better True Shooting Percentage and Effective FG %.

- Cam Long 6'4" (G.Mason) - while he was primarily a SG in NCAA, he should switch over to running the offense. Long dribbles equally well with either hand, very smooth, very good passer and very smart player, 50% inside the arc and 47% overall. He shot 43% from deep and is a very good defender, makes good use of his 6'8" wingspan.
spree#8
Likes given: 547

I like Morris. Also on my PG list are Nolan Smith and Reggie Jackson, who is getting some love from draftexpress.

Long seems to be an afterthought and not a valid candidate at 17.

Also not sure how Fredette's game will translate. Perhaps like Redick's.
#knickstape
DolanCurse2001
Likes given: 0

spree#8 wrote:I like Morris. Also on my PG list are Nolan Smith and Reggie Jackson, who is getting some love from draftexpress.

Nolan Smith isn't a true PG. I'm done with experimenting with combo guards hoping they learn to become PG's.

But Reggie Jackson is intriguing. He's 6'3" super athletic and has a 7 foot wingspan. He can't shoot yet but that shouldn't be a big deal. Rajon Rondo can't shooter either. Jason Kidd couldn't shoot earlier in his career. That's something one can develope. If we're going the PG route, I think Jackson might be neck and neck with Jimmer Fredette on my board.
spree#8
Likes given: 547

Kn1cksAreBack wrote: Nolan Smith isn't a true PG. I'm done with experimenting with combo guards hoping they learn to become PG's.

But Reggie Jackson is intriguing. He's 6'3" super athletic and has a 7 foot wingspan. He can't shoot yet but that shouldn't be a big deal. Rajon Rondo can't shooter either. Jason Kidd couldn't shoot earlier in his career. That's something one can develope. If we're going the PG route, I think Jackson might be neck and neck with Jimmer Fredette on my board.
42% from three on 5 tries per game. I would say he has already. 50% from the field, 80% from the line. That's aight in my book!
#knickstape
cragganmor

spree#8 wrote:I like Morris. Also on my PG list are Nolan Smith and Reggie Jackson, who is getting some love from draftexpress.

Also not sure how Fredette's game will translate. Perhaps like Redick's.
Long will be there in the 2nd round, we could buy a pick from say, the Lakers. I like his versatility, can play both guard spots and he's a smart, efficient player.

Yeah, not a believer in Jimmer as an NBA player; will take a while for him to adjust. He doesn't even try on defense, just watches guys get right past him.
cragganmor

John Lucas had a player workout in Houston, check out the comments about Cory Joseph (Texas) from NBADraft:
Cory Joseph came in a second rounder and is still in that range, however teams came away impressed with him as a person. Going into the workout, Joseph wanted to see what teams thought of him, he came away needing a new calendar to figure out his next week.

Joseph shot the ball well from outside, excelled in pick and roll situations and showed athletic ability he didn't get a chance to show in Texas system. Teams are sure to be racing to try and bring him in before the declaration to pull out.
Knick PR announced that CJ is indeed coming in for a workout this week.
cragganmor

Quick, positive review by Jon Wasserman at NBADraft.net of CJ's performance at the draft combine this weekend. He said the he looked sharp and that is the general notion about him; the Texas system didn't allow CJ to show off his skills as he often played off the ball.
Texas guard Cory Joseph was in attendance for Saturday's workout, being held up after practice for what looked to be an interview with scouts and coaches. He's extremely personable and upbeat, a likely reason for his high off-the-court praise. Joseph was a little bit of a surprise to test the waters, but with Jordan Hamilton and Tristan Thompson on the way out, and standout recruit Myck Kabongo on the way in, experimenting in a shallow point-guard draft might not be a bad idea.

"I just have to play my game, get up and down, guard someone, just try and knock down shots and win the game. Even if it's in these workouts, I'm a winner, whatever I have to do to help my team win", Joseph said.

I asked Cory about the importance of convincing scouts he is capable of playing the 1. "Yeah, I try and and show I can run the point, because I played a lot of 2 this year at Texas... but I think everybody here knows I can play the point. I watch a lot of Deron Williams- We ran Utah's offense this year so definitely Deron Williams, and Chris Paul are the guys who I model my game after."

I also spoke with Joseph about the adjustments he must make moving from level to level. "The speed of the game. It just picks up. In terms of making moves, getting my shot off quicker, all the little stuff is just very quick.".

Joseph can shoot and looks comfortable handling the rock, but becoming a true playmaker will be his challenge moving forward. A likely second rounder with a ceiling that doesn't quite reach the top floor, his expectations seem to be realistic and limited. "I would like to get drafted by anyone that takes me".
cragganmor

ESPN reported:
Sources said that Liggins and Peterson were particularly impressive in their ability to control the game on the defensive end with their athleticism. Goudelock apparently shot the lights out. Joseph played well at the combine, which may have influenced his decision to stay in the draft. However, most GMs gave Garrett the nod as the best point guard in the group
Diante is the son of Dean Garrett, a solid NBA player that had stints with Minny, Denver and GS; he's a quick 6'4" playmaker (6.1 apg) with a nice length (6'8.5"). His efficiency numbers dipped this season, as he was the only really good player on his squad. Shot 46.5% inside the arc, 31% outside the arc for 17.3 ppg.
cragganmor

Here's my fave pick of the draft for a PG with our #17, Darius Morris (Mich), from NBADraft.net:
Darius Morris: A Pure Point Guard
By Ed Ziti
Tue, 05/10/2011 - 5:00am

There are a lot of great point guards in the NBA right now, but there are only four who can consistently get you ten dimes a game, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Deron Williams and Rajon Rondo. As the position has evolved, many teams are seeking the point guard that can hit the three, but historically, the great ones have always gotten you double digit assists. As we continuously label and relabel the position, different systems have different wants and needs, but to me, first and foremost, I want a guy that can distribute the ball.

In essence, we have the combo point guard, the pass first point guard and the shoot first point, but what teams really want is the win first point guard. Darius Morris is the kind of player that makes everyone around him better, and if you followed Michigan this year during the regular season and in the NCAA Tournament, you know that coming within one basket of taking defending champion Duke off the grid is nothing short of miraculous.

Morris has the ability to score 20 every game he plays in, but chooses to run the offense instead. His decision making ability is solid, but may be misunderstood, simply because he doesn't have the options that Brandon Knight and the other point guard prospects do.

Some point guards limit their passing to their buddies or the guy most apt to score, but Darius Morris does not discriminate. He seems to leave that up to the coaches. If you're in the game and open, you better be ready. On countless occasions this year, and sometimes while he was 30 feet from the hoop, you'd see that right hand pick up the dribble and throw a Roger Clemens fastball to a wide open Michigan player underneath. Few pros can do this well, so when I see a twenty year old doing it, the future looks very bright.

What's even more exciting for the puritans of the game like myself, is watching Morris on the fast break. His look away passes are like Magic, and instead of beating guys with athleticism; he beats them with guile. Someone taught this kid to play the game the right way, because not only does he take what the defense gives him, but he allows his team to score in the simplest manner possible, As Red Holzman once preached, he “gets the ball to the open man.”

Another thing Morris does that is basic but successful is, he gets the ball to the player that's hot. Any player that has hit a couple of shots in a row, can be assured that the kid is looking for him. He has no problem deferring to anyone that can put the ball in the hole. This maximizes an offense's potential as any baller knows that shooting percentages and stats don't matter when someone's hot, and no one in college basketball today knows that better than Morris. His basketball IQ is off the charts.

A huge advantage for Morris is his size at the point guard position. At 6'4, he has the ability to beat his defender to the spot and rise up for quick pull up jumpers and passes. Usually this happens in the middle of the court, where he'll penetrate and pull up at the elbow. If he develops a better three point shot, this move will always be available to him at the next level. At Michigan, whenever his teams needed a basket, this has been his signature move. His mid-range game is already at a very high level, and the fact that he doesn't finish with a Jordanesque dunk isn't a problem, because he's a point guard and it allows him to stay in control and pass the ball at the last possible second. He's always in control of what he needs to accomplish.

Another major strength of Morris is something you see in players at the tail end of their career, is his ability to change speeds. He has the ability to start fast on a dribble drive, slow down and then finish fast. He does this to keep the defender on his heels and to create space. If you consistently beat guys with speed, what do you do when you play a faster player? Like Greg Maddux did on the pitchers mound in his prime, Darius Morris is constantly changing his speeds and just as important, the cadence on his dribble. This prevents him from being pick pocketed and allows him to get wherever he wants to on the court.

The key to Morris's value to a professional team is clearly his ball distribution. Most assist guys are pass first point guards, because they can't score or at least not at a high enough level. That's not the case with Darius as he could start for quite a few teams as a shooting guard. The fact that he can score so well should make him an even better player in the pro's, as he's capable of both, but mentally just plays the position the right way naturally. No one had to convert him.

Defensively, he has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. He has a sixth sense when it comes to players in trouble and gravitates to the spot on the floor where turnovers and bad passes occur. He's tall enough to bother most point guard's perimeter shots, and stays with them nicely on dribble drives as well.

There are two things Darius needs to work on to have a solid start to his NBA career. Number one, he needs to get in the gym and hit the weights. For a guy under 200 pounds, he is surprisingly unmovable on his drives and forays to the hoop. On incidental contact, he just doesn't' get knocked off the ball. In order to have that same success in the pro's he's going to need to add about 15 pounds as everyone is bigger and faster.

He also needs to develop a three point shot as soon as possible. I would recommend the Gilbert Arenas workout where he practices taking three point shots one handed. This increases a players range, while also teaching them to keep the elbow straight as they can't rely on the off hand to balance the ball. Morris also squares up a little too much on his shots, so a tilt to the side Ala Larry Bird should help his percentages.

Overall, the prospect for a successful pro career is in the offing for Morris. He has the ability to be a solid assist guy at the next level, and if he develops that aforementioned three point shot, a high caliber performer in a point guard rich league. He reminds me of Michael Ray Richardson without the baggage. In fact, with his attitude and leadership skills, he has a chance to be the biggest sleeper in the entire 2011 draft.
knicksfan4life

After I read about how Beilein told Morris not to go I looked at him a bit, I really liked him and don't understand why he isn't in the first round in early mocks. My initial thought was that he has Mo Williams potential in terms of overall caliber of player coming from the second round, not similarity in game type though. I think he ends up being a better pro than Fredette for example. JMO.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
thewatcher
Likes given: 2682

cragganmor wrote: He reminds me of Michael Ray Richardson without the baggage. In fact, with his attitude and leadership skills, he has a chance to be the biggest sleeper in the entire 2011 draft.
you have my attention.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
cragganmor

cragganmor wrote: He reminds me of Michael Ray Richardson without the baggage. In fact, with his attitude and leadership skills, he has a chance to be the biggest sleeper in the entire 2011 draft.
thewatcher wrote:you have my attention.
hehehe... that was specifically you, bro :D . i know it got my attention right away when i saw it.

i dunno if he'll be sugar ray at his best, but he does have that size, athleticism and savvy package that's rare for a young player.
cragganmor

knicksfan4life wrote:After I read about how Beilein told Morris not to go I looked at him a bit, I really liked him and don't understand why he isn't in the first round in early mocks. My initial thought was that he has Mo Williams potential in terms of overall caliber of player coming from the second round, not similarity in game type though. I think he ends up being a better pro than Fredette for example. JMO.
Yeah, definitely a head-scratcher why he's slotted for the second round; no red flags on his character off-court and on court he plays hard, shows excellent leadership. The Wolverines finished 21-14, 9-9 in conference, so they did OK.

He was the only guy that could create his own shot on his squad and he did a great job despite defenses stacked up to stop him. His size, skills and attitude will definitely make him a much better prospect than NCAA player.

Imagine what a duo he and Manny Harris would have been this year if he had stayed at Mich?
rtn393
Global Moderator

I think the main thing keeping Darius Morris down in the projections is his lack of a reliable jumpshot. He shot 18% from three point range his freshman year, and 25% as a sophomore.

I've seen him compared to Andre Miller. I think that's valid with respect to his combination of size, strength, and craftiness at the point guard position, but Morris has more athleticism and speed than Andre. I also think his combination of good touch and good form means that he'll improve his distance shooting with time and coaching.

As far as guys who might be available at #17, Markieff Morris tops my big board. But if he's gone, I've got Darius Morris and Reggie Jackson right there behind him. Both are as talented as any guard in this draft not named Kyrie or Kemba, and could really blossom playing under Billups' tutelage for a year or two.
taowave
Likes given: 844

No sure what you are talking about.
Sounds like Mike D has found his prototypical point guard to return to his glory days under Nash.. :D

Yeah, not a believer in Jimmer as an NBA player; will take a while for him to adjust. He doesn't even try on defense, just watches guys get right past him.
[/quote]
cragganmor

rtn393 wrote:I think the main thing keeping Darius Morris down in the projections is his lack of a reliable jumpshot. He shot 18% from three point range his freshman year, and 25% as a sophomore.

I've seen him compared to Andre Miller. I think that's valid with respect to his combination of size, strength, and craftiness at the point guard position, but Morris has more athleticism and speed than Andre. I also think his combination of good touch and good form means that he'll improve his distance shooting with time and coaching.

As far as guys who might be available at #17, Markieff Morris tops my big board. But if he's gone, I've got Darius Morris and Reggie Jackson right there behind him. Both are as talented as any guard in this draft not named Kyrie or Kemba, and could really blossom playing under Billups' tutelage for a year or two.
:thumbsup:
cragganmor

Interesting coverage of the draft by HoopsWord's Alex Raskin and Steve Kyler
One of the more interesting prospects Boston College point guard Reggie Jackson. There was a chance he would return to the Screaming Eagles for his final season, but he's apparently received some assurance he'll be taken in the first round. New York could take him with the 17th overall selection to bolster its depth at point guard, but there might even be a lottery team willing to take a chance on Jackson before that. Like current Knicks point guard Toney Douglas, Jackson has an enormous wingspan (reportedly seven feet), which obviously is a tremendous defensive advantage in the NBA. But unlike Douglas, Jackson is a traditional point guard who quarterbacks an offense.
Darius Morris is such an interesting player. His resemblance to Portland's Andre Miller is uncanny, not just in his physical appearance, but in how he plays. Darius is a much better shooter than Andre and a little more athletic than Andre coming in. Morris showed his biggest weakness - being very streaky - however when Darius is on, he is impressive.

Long arms, quick first step. Power above the rim and a decent jump shot good out to NBA three.

Darius is not going to unseat the top three point guards, but when you get to guards four and five on the depth chart, Darius could challenge for their draft spot.
Either one would be great for us at #17. Like RTN said, they could really blossom learning the game from an old pro like Chauncey.

I'm pretty hopeful that we could buy a pick in the bottom of the first; OKC, Dallas and the Bulls (with 2 picks) want to win now, not develop young talent. We could look for another good young talent to fill out the roster.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Ok fellas this is usually when I post on a regular for the draft and just read comments otherwise.

I think we need to get 2 picks this year. The luxery of a weak draft is...good talent always slips. This draft is weak from 1-13 but after that its a pure crap shoot.

We talk about this every year us going after a second rounder and going after a high reward pick.

This offseason we need sheer size,PG and more depth.

With that said, there are a lot of good PG's out there and we have a PG system. You can plug in Reggie/Malcolm Lee/Morris/Ian S in our bench and we would be fine.

Morris is a solid pick but when you have Amare/Melo you NEED guys that can knock down the open jumper. With that said Amare NEEDS a guy to run the pick and roll and the Knicks need a quick/efficient defender at the 2 spot off the bench(Morris does both of those things). That can keep Douglas being a sure shot gun slinger off the bench guarding the 1 while Morris guards the 2.

But overall if we can buy an early 2nd round pick. I say we go for a PG with the 17th pick(unless Biyombo/Markieff M. is there) and then take a big guy with the 2nd pick.

If Markieff is there and snag Morris in the second, we would be pretty set. That would leave us getting just Centers in the offseason
knicksfan4life

I'm rooting to draft Darius Morris at this point. I think he turns into a solid pro, can't say the same guaranteed about either Morris twin from Kansas though I wouldn't be opposed to drafting one of them, especially given their shooting prowess. I think the question of a big is best solved in free agency because of how rare it is to draft a quality big outside of the lottery. As our team is currently composed I think it's important to add the best overall player regardless of position instead of reaching and grabbing a stiff who won't be able to contribute. Morris makes sense in that I certainly believe he will be a rotation player who plays the right way and thus can contribute to a winning team.

I'll be satisfied with one of the twins as a big though because their shooting ability will ensure they have a role on a team for years. Anybody named Morris makes for a good draft night in my eyes.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Unless you have a chance on a franchise talent you gotta go with the best players that fit the need of your team.

Klay Thompson can be the best overall player but if you have Morris on the board or Biyombo judging by what this team lacks(PG that can run the pick and roll, size and defense) I would take one of the other 2 before looking at Klay.

I'm ok with taking Morris but I would also love to get a second round pick and grab Justin Harper or Jon Luer both of these guys can make our rotation because of their shooting prowess and also allow MD to have a Center alongside them.

but a PG that can run the PNR learning from Chauncey would be perfect. We can go into FA with targetting bullies in the paint.