Going for a SG in 2011 Draft

Discuss NCAA and international hoops and scout and evaluate players for the NBA Draft.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

spree#8
Likes given: 534

My top choices right now if there or if we can trade up would be Alec Burks or Klay Thompson. Reasoning: At 17 you historically can get the most talent out of guards/forwards in comparison to bigmen because at that point in the draft the bigmen sureshots are already gone, while there are more talented guards/wings around. If we bring back Billups, which I expect, our biggest need in the backcourt is a real SG, something we didn't have all season with Fields (a SF in my book) playing out of position and his backups being combo guards (TD and Mason).

Fitting my criteria are Burks and Thompson. What do y'all think?

"Replacing Wilson Chandler"-projects could be Tyler Honeycutt and Jordan Hamilton from what I read. Capable of playing the two with their ball handling just like it was with Wil a big question mark.
#knickstape
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Burks is a good choice, but he'll be long gone by #17. Thompson is a shooter, but not much D at all from him, very unidimensional.

Check out Deandre Liggins. 6'6", good athlete, an excellent defender and a good shooter (39% from the arc on moderate usage). He has some experience running the offense as well, a pretty good passer and can handle the ball. His versatility and toughness was a big part of Kentucky's success this season. Probably will slot in the bottom 1st to mid 2nd round.

Another guy to look at is Justin Holiday, 6'6" from UWash. He's athletic, a good defender and shooter. Needs time to work on his handle but knows how to play D and hit open shots.
DolanCurse2001
Likes given: 0

Klay Thompson is my top pick. He has 3 years of college experience, he's 6'7" and rotation ready and plays a position we need help in. It would be nice to actually have a real SG who can come off screens and hit the three. Look how valuable Kyle Korver is for Chicago.

[youtube]3w2ekvQS-Xs[/youtube]

I don't see Mike D'Antoni playing a rookie Center or a rookie PG. And there are no Centers available anyway and the PGs aren't that great either.
cragganmor

Kn1cksAreBack wrote:Klay Thompson is my top pick. He has 3 years of college experience, he's 6'7" and rotation ready and plays a position we need help in. It would be nice to actually have a real SG who can come off screens and hit the three. Look how valuable Kyle Korver is for Chicago.

[youtube]3w2ekvQS-Xs[/youtube]

I don't see Mike D'Antoni playing a rookie Center or a rookie PG. And there are no Centers available anyway and the PGs aren't that great either.
Mike played Moz, a rookie, didn't he? I like Biyombo, but he's likely to go before we pick. However, guys like Markieff Morris and Nikola Vucevic could be available at our slot. Another thing to think about is if a lottery team doesn't like anyone in the draft and wants to trade down, Biyombo might be available.

Klay is probably the best pure shooter at SG in the draft, but he's kinda slow and not much of a defender; a one-trick pony. Even at #17 in a weak draft year, I'd rather go with a better defender or playmaker, someone with versatility that can bring a lot of different skills to the table.
cragganmor

Another SG that's in the draft, Ravern Johnson (Miss. State) is a pretty good perimeter shooter. Has good length at 6'7", athleticism and is a dead-eye shooter. He really played well last year alongside Javaris Vornado, excellent inside/outside combo. However, like Klay, he can be kinda one-dimensional and just jack shots all day long. He's slotted in most mocks as a mid-second rounder.

I actually think he has more upside than Klay, a better run/jump athlete, but he needs to add some muscle and figure out how to compliment his outside game with better dribble penetration plus playing harder on D.
bobhait
Likes given: 62

I'll be alright with the Knicks drafting a SG ONLY if that's the best player available at that point, and by a wide margin. our roster now is nothing but shooting guards and small forwards. what we really need is a back-up to Chauncey, with a chance to start if we miss out on one of the PGs of 2012 OR a real center.
sky’s the limit
qdman
Likes given: 0

It's a shame there are no centers, that's our huge need. Should we have given up Landry to keep Moz?
cragganmor

qdaman wrote:It's a shame there are no centers, that's our huge need. Should we have given up Landry to keep Moz?
That a question that can only be answered 2-3 years later, dunno how these guys will turn out. I think DW did the right thing, held onto LF. Short-term it hurts us since that's a strong need.

There are some good prospects at PF/C that should be available when we pick, guys like Markieff Morris and Nikola Vucevic are 6'10" 240# and play physical, can rebound and shoot.
bobhait
Likes given: 62

Moz also had a contract that would've been 3 mil on our cap for 2012. I don't give up the plan for that
sky’s the limit