Whos your team in College ball???

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Whos your team in College ball???

Postby Koopa Troopa » November 29, 2003, 8:58 am

my team is St Johns, even though their off to their worst start since 1922!!!!!!!!!!!!! even worse, willie shaw has been suspended from the team because he and marcus hatten were arrested for marijuanna!!! I would believe willie would do that but not marcus...its like hes giving up on the nba.heres an article in the daily news about it:
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/story ... 5068c.html
Koopa Troopa

Hampton U

Postby SlingBlade » November 29, 2003, 1:49 pm

Locally, down here, you pretty much have Hampton, Old Dominion, University of Virginia, or Norfolk State.

Ive always loved the Hampton Pirates, a tiny program that has garnered much respect in recent years. AI played for them 1 year before heading to GTown, and Knicks prospect Tommy Adams is another alumni.

One of the grittiest programs in the country, they made the NCAA tourney as a 15th seed in 2001, shocking Marcus Fizer and Iowa State in the first round. They lost to Mike Sweetney and GTown in the second, but came back to beat North Carolina down on Tobacco road in their opener the next year, the first unranked team ever to beat UNC in their home opener.

They made the Big Dance again, but fell short of beating Emeka Okafor and UConn by 3 points. (damnit!)

Then, after back to back 25 win seasons they were about to head to their third straight tourney, but choked, blowing a huge 4th quarter lead in their conference title game.

I WAS SO PISSED THEY DIDNT GET IN THE NIT! (lol)

I like ODU somewhat too, theire women's team was national champions in 1985 and knocked off a top 10 team last week.

I like St Johns too=) nice article mega
SlingBlade

Postby Mase in your face » November 29, 2003, 1:52 pm

seton hall....even though i hate the school itself with a passion..i still root for the team.

They got screwed on a tournament birth last year.....
Mase in your face

Postby rtn393 » November 29, 2003, 1:59 pm

I remember the game where Hampton upset of Iowa State in the first round. Both Jamaal Tinsley and Marcus Fizer were on that 2nd ranked ISU team. I know a lot of Iowa State fans (as I live 45 minutes from the University), and they were pretty pissed off. I watched that game and liked Hampton a lot.

My main team is the Iowa Hawkeyes. Over here, you either like Iowa or Iowa State. Iowa really could have contended a few years ago if Ricky Davis didnt leave after his freshmen year. Nobody expected that from him. By the way, watch out for a kid named Pierre Pierce this year.

I've also always liked Syracuse and Georgetown. I liked both of them back in the John Wallace and Allen Iverson days. But my interest in Syracuse rekindeled after watching Carmelo last year. I really hoped the knicks would trade up and pick 'Melo.
rtn393
Global Moderator

Postby wallace044 » November 29, 2003, 2:36 pm

R-U-T-G-E-R-S :D
http://www.nykfanpage.com/headlines/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Dolan

"When you want to win a game, you have to teach. When you lose a game, you have to learn."
--Tom Landry
wallace044
Global Moderator

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK...... KU

Postby vin » November 29, 2003, 6:11 pm

down here where im sittin at you either like Mizzou, Kstate or KU

im one for the hawks

BEAK 'EM HAWKS
“When people look at me, they really don't understand where the hops are coming from.”
-Nate Robinson
vin

Postby Irv » November 29, 2003, 6:27 pm

Georgia Tech, 2003 Preseason NIT Champs.

(25) TT 65
GT 85

GT 77
(1) UConn 61

Chris Bosh? Chris who?
Irv
Administrator

Postby knicksrocku » November 29, 2003, 7:36 pm

UCONN!!! Go Husky's!!
knicksrocku

Postby vin » November 29, 2003, 8:15 pm

grr @ bangwagoners
“When people look at me, they really don't understand where the hops are coming from.”
-Nate Robinson
vin

Postby Indiana » November 29, 2003, 8:30 pm

I'm from upstate NY so my top team is Syracuse - I think it's a law or something. Last season was something approaching heaven. Purdue is second (they pay me so that's sort of a law too).

There are a bunch of very solid, smaller conf. programs in Indiana. Butler, Ball State & Valporaiso. Usually at least one of those makes the tourney so I always have a dark horse - Siena used to be that team when I lived in NY.
Indiana

Postby Ceewell » November 29, 2003, 9:27 pm

TEMPLE UNIVERSITY, baby...
The Knicks of the NCAA.
"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"
Ceewell

Postby Koopa Troopa » November 29, 2003, 10:04 pm

yess we beat those dam seawolves!!!!!! st johns 2005 NCAA champs as soon as they get a new coach!!!!!!!!!!
Koopa Troopa

Postby vin » November 30, 2003, 1:18 am

Who do you think has the weakest? and strongest? conferences...

I think and usually is the Big XII is biggest (big 12 for those of you uneducated posters hehe)
-Nate Robinson
vin

Postby SlingBlade » November 30, 2003, 1:25 am

I think starting next season, there is no question the Big East is by far the most dominant. Id say the Big 10, East, and 12 are all pretty even right now.

But adding Marquette, Cincy, and Louisville will make the East completely unstoppable.
SlingBlade

Texas Longhorns

Postby StevoStarks » November 30, 2003, 2:52 am

I pretty much would guarantee them winning the championship if TJ hadn't left.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby Swede » November 30, 2003, 5:14 am

Georgia Tech ! !
Swede

Postby nextyearknicks » November 30, 2003, 6:30 am

Definetely st.John's!!! :cheer: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
nextyearknicks

Postby vin » November 30, 2003, 6:19 pm

:x bandwagoners... if your not an alumni, from georgia, or grown up in a family that is crazy about g-tech, (goes for other schools like UConn and ect.) then don't like em cause they dominate on the court.

wheres the pride in origins?
-Nate Robinson
vin

Postby Irv » November 30, 2003, 10:59 pm

Georgia Tech is my alma mater. Don't even think about getting on my case about that bandwagon stuff. As for Swede, I'm going to guess that the reason for him liking Tech is Jim Nyström.

As far as the basketball team is concerned, Coach Hewitt has done a terrific job of coaching the guys up after losing Bosh to the NBA. Jarrett Jack is doing a great job of directing the team at point guard and everybody is playing unselfishly and finding the open man. In fact, I believe the team is better now that the guys can play more uptempo basketball and not have a black hole on offense. I'm glad Bosh went to play for GT and I'm glad that he gave the program some national recognition like Marbury did half a decade ago, but the problem with him was the same as what some people here have speculated about Allan Houston with the Knicks. The team is collectively more fluid without the big offensive star and everyone else standing around and watching him play.
Irv
Administrator

Postby cru77jones » December 3, 2003, 12:49 pm

Hey Vin, I guess we can discount you as a Knicks fan then, being from Kansas City, Kansas (???) C'mon man, that stuff doesn't matter, I'm probably the only Detroit Lions fan in all of NYC.. No rules or pre-requisites for being a fan of any team IMO...

Syracuse has been my favorite team since I was kid.. Although not my alma-mater, I'm still a big fan.. Albeit completely obvious he would enter the NBA, I was praying for Melo to stay one more year.. JUST ONE MORE YEAR MELO!!!!
The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender. -- Vince Lombardi
cru77jones
Global Moderator

Next

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft