2019 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2019 Draft Discussion

Postby Don Che » February 27, 2019, 12:47 pm

RJ will need the right situation to get to his ceiling but i guess more on the roster
Don Che

Postby NewlyKnicked » February 28, 2019, 4:56 am

This "Zion-free" period can help RJ realize he can be much more efficient, take less ill-advised shots and still be a star. I'm waiting to see what happens when Williamson comes back. Will RJ go back to this pissing contest he has with himself or will he keep on being more of a team player?
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby cragganmor » February 28, 2019, 12:13 pm

if rj has enough emotional maturity, then he will understand that the player he needs to emulate right now is pg, not the mamba.
cragganmor

Postby nazrmohamed » February 28, 2019, 6:47 pm

cragganmor wrote:if rj has enough emotional maturity, then he will understand that the player he needs to emulate right now is pg, not the mamba.

Yeah well that's what they said to Kobe about finishing Michael. Nothing wrong with emulating Kobe, one of the hardest workers ever in the NBA. We aren't drafting top 5 to get a player's with a complimentary player's mindset or else we'd all be in love with Frank right now. But we love us some Trier. Well RJ is somewhat like Trier but at 6'7 and age one should expect him to be that on a much higher level. For better or worse of course. But the guy is a winner, this much should be known. I think he'll be a great pro
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » February 28, 2019, 8:06 pm

saying Frank has a complimentary mindset is a disservice to complimentary players lol

Pippen was a complimentary player and dropped 20 a game. Stockton was complimentary and went 13/14 in some years

RJ could definitely understand that his game should be played like Penny...not Kobe

His vision is very good and its natural..seeing him pass makes me think he's a lead guard...seeing him ISO makes me think he'll be a average pro
Don Che

Postby StevoStarks » February 28, 2019, 8:09 pm

Is Frank still on the team?
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » March 1, 2019, 11:20 am

Don Che wrote:saying Frank has a complimentary mindset is a disservice to complimentary players lol

Pippen was a complimentary player and dropped 20 a game. Stockton was complimentary and went 13/14 in some years

RJ could definitely understand that his game should be played like Penny...not Kobe

His vision is very good and its natural..seeing him pass makes me think he's a lead guard...seeing him ISO makes me think he'll be a average pro

Man Pippen didnt have no complimentary mindset. Ask Pippen, the guy thought that if Michael wasnt there he wouldve carried them to championships by himself. No doubt when you got a player like Michael on your team you are forced to compliment but Pippen was a star in his own right. Same with Stockton.

We should expect that hes nothing less than the best player on our team while in his rookie year. Were that bad and that includes Dennis Smith Jr. Hes the best prospect we wouldve raised since KP. Hes not here to fit in.
Grady- Mario is the KD of tanking. Fiz got worried that playing Jordan would help the Knicks win, so he has to make sure Mario gets plenty of minutes.
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » March 6, 2019, 2:00 pm

the term complimentary is given a bad rep by most...but to me defense first/team first guys that can score but choose not to or they score in an efficient way is complimentary...Pippen and Stockton are one of my favorite players ever. Tayshaun Prince..another guy id consider complimentary and also a stud was team first...even tho he had the talent to do more if put in a different situation

Frank isnt any of those guys...he doesnt have a complimentary mind set...he has a passive mindset thats a totally different thing to me.

complimentary is a great thing with talent...Tim Duncan was complimentary..now that I think on it...the only non complimentary player of all my favorite players is Pistol Pete and A.I
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » March 6, 2019, 7:29 pm

Ok I understand now. I just think that people are equally so scared of the next diva that they fa I'll l to realize most superstars are divas. So for me just stop trying to avoid it and embrace it with rules attached. Players manage thier talent and greatness, coaches manage behaviors and roles and I think people are overthinking it.

In a draft loaded with wings at the top, RJ Barret is easily the best one on a team that everyone knows is coming and at least lately are throwing 2 guys at him at all times......and here have been the results. And not to bash Zion cuz his metrics are ungodly but the next best power forward will be drafted in the teens. The best Cs are all hypothetical (in other words they suck now). RJ faces the best competition, every game in maybe the best conference in basketball.

If you're a coach figure it out. If I'm a GM I'm drafting him and to me all these red flags actually get easier in the NBA. Shooters all around to space the floor, less zone, big men who set better screens, more time to be coached and work on your craft. We're not dealing with a low motor player here.
nazrmohamed

Postby nazrmohamed » March 6, 2019, 7:33 pm

Or we could just watch him pass the ball east/west around the perimeter with an endless shot clock like all the other wings are doing. Dude gets at the rim, mixes it up with bigs, grabs boards, gets to the line at a high clip (although hes seriously gotta fix that FT%). Its not empty.
nazrmohamed

Postby big_j_NY » March 6, 2019, 7:40 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:Ok I understand now. I just think that people are equally so scared of the next diva that they fa I'll l to realize most superstars are divas. So for me just stop trying to avoid it and embrace it with rules attached. Players manage thier talent and greatness, coaches manage behaviors and roles and I think people are overthinking it.

In a draft loaded with wings at the top, RJ Barret is easily the best one on a team that everyone knows is coming and at least lately are throwing 2 guys at him at all times......and here have been the results. And not to bash Zion cuz his metrics are ungodly but the next best power forward will be drafted in the teens. The best Cs are all hypothetical (in other words they suck now). RJ faces the best competition, every game in maybe the best conference in basketball.

If you're a coach figure it out. If I'm a GM I'm drafting him and to me all these red flags actually get easier in the NBA. Shooters all around to space the floor, less zone, big men who set better screens, more time to be coached and work on your craft. We're not dealing with a low motor player here.

This seems to be the key point here that I think should be more highlighted.

I know every Knick fan here is tired of star players using "diva antics" on our Knicks squad, whether via free agency OR our own star free agents, in order to fuck us over.

The bigger problem wasn't that they were a diva, it was that the diva that often pisses us off are ones that have low-motors or a shitty attitude.

At least with RJ, we won't get the low-motor part.........it'd be great for once to have a homegrown star that actually has a high motor and PLAYS HIS ASS OFF while being fundamentally sound in most regard.

We never had that before, and between RJ and Zion, we have a shot at least one of them when the lottery plays in our favor (for once)
#EmbraceTheTankPERIOD

NO LONGER #InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby Don Che » March 7, 2019, 11:04 am

that is very true regarding RJ...if he fails its not because hes not trying to kill you its more because he just isnt good enough.

i can't think of another player around 6'6 210 pounds that scored over 20 as a freshman while doing all his damage within 15 feet.

as much of an anomaly Zion is...so is RJ...he has produced at every level but he does so with the EXACT skill set that the NBA defends best. A non shooting lefty that over drives with weak handle is a recipe for disaster in the NBA unless your Ben Simmons or Giannis

Ppl compare him to Derozan which i get...Demar was a far better athlete but from a production standpoint....RJ literally destroys him. Even can see a Tatum lite comparison...Tatum is more of a 3 and is bigger than RJ but again...RJ drops buckets on a decent %.

Than we have Cam...who actually does EVERYTHING fitted for the NBA..thats what i dont like about AAU and all that...Cam you can tell has been training for NBA packages since he was 14...but never learned basic basketball functions and in an organized game...he looks lost.

my real issue with RJ is defense and my real issue with Cam is production.......Atleast we are picking Zion so it really doesnt matter
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » March 7, 2019, 9:23 pm

I get the feeling that rj is gonna be a smaller Ben Simmons, but with a better (but not excellent) deep ball. However, if your game is all 16' and closer, the spacing of the NBA could benefit him. Regardless of whether we get Zion or RJ, need to surround them with good shooters (something we kinda suck at).
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » March 7, 2019, 10:44 pm

I agree....I dont see him being the passer Ben is but in the idea of how and where he operates

but what do you guys think about Tatum vs RJ based on their 1 year in Duke.

Tatum couldnt score from deep at Duke either .... but overall who is a better prospect at this stage
Don Che

Postby Don Che » March 10, 2019, 9:52 pm

Don Che

Postby StevoStarks » March 11, 2019, 1:05 pm

Don Che wrote:https://youtu.be/dG9l69ixKdM

jarret Culver

He's really good. And we need a 2 guard. He's going to start making people think about their top 3, if he hasn't already.
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby cragganmor » March 12, 2019, 6:43 am

Culver is long and skilled, plays for a good program in a strong division. How he measures out athletically will elevate or depress his draft stock. If he measures with a strong plus wingspan, strength, speed, hops, then he could go top 3.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » March 12, 2019, 7:53 am

he has no hops but saying it again .if hes 6'7 with a plus span....hes in my top 3..I just don't see a reason why he wont succeed...I have less questions about him than I do about any other prospect in this draft
Don Che

Postby StevoStarks » March 12, 2019, 3:05 pm

He's also listed at 195 so that could be an issue as well.
- Dr. Seuss

- taowave

- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Postby cragganmor » March 14, 2019, 2:54 pm

Don Che wrote:he has no hops but saying it again .if hes 6'7 with a plus span....hes in my top 3..I just don't see a reason why he wont succeed...I have less questions about him than I do about any other prospect in this draft

if he has that height + length, then hops isn't essential. my question would be around the intangibles; work ethic, reachability, smarts, etc.
cragganmor

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft