2018 Draft Discussion

Discuss NCAA hoops and player scouting for the NBA Draft from the college and international ranks.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2018 Draft Discussion

Postby Don Che » April 18, 2018, 11:58 am

Yeh if we go

Miles/Mikal/Zhaire at 9
Vanderbilt/Frazier/Alize/GF3 at 38

I can work with that. There arent any home run picks at 9..but you can develop them into great players..i like the work ethic in this draft class at 9.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » April 25, 2018, 6:58 pm

Forget what I said about a small chance of Bamba slipping down to us; he's been working on his 3, hit nine in a row

https://youtu.be/6EOrdk_H2-s
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » April 28, 2018, 1:56 pm

yeh Champ said theres a chance but....nah there isnt.

something to lookat tho....Vanderbilt can't shoot BUT....his per 40 numbers is 13/18/2/2/1

the kid has something special there if he finds a way to stay healthy.
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » May 2, 2018, 4:18 pm

Frazier hired an agent, all in for the draft.
cragganmor

Postby NewlyKnicked » May 4, 2018, 11:10 am

I get that we should focus on our picks but we always take a bunch of undrafted guys as well, so I looked around a bit into seniors projected as very late 2nd rounders, tall enough to cover SF/PF, and good defenders.

What do you think about 6'8 Gary Clark? He seems to check a lot of boxes with decent stats:

https://www.nbascoutinglive.com/gary-cl ... ing-report
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... gary-clark

Concerns are his 3pt shot, but Fizdale has been doing wonders with Gasol and Bosh. On the other hand, he's been playing as an undersized PF so it remains to be seen if he can also be valuable at SF
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby noypi » May 5, 2018, 10:08 am

rebound wrote:1. phoenix -ayton
2. memphis - doncic
3. atlanta - bagley
4. dallas - bamba
5. orlando - trae young
6. chicago - mpjr
7. sac - jackson jr
8. cavs - knox or carter(lebron leaves needs to pick a freshmen with a high ceiling)
9. knicks - mikal

I agree that LeBron's gonna leave and I have a feeling the Cavs possibly trading up, maybe RFAs Nance Jr./Hood and the 8th pick for a top 4-5 pick. So the question is who do the Dallas or Orlando pick at 8th? I hope they don't need guy like Mikal.
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

http://nypost.com/2015/10/27/greatest-c ... -with-nyc/
noypi

Postby shakespeare » May 5, 2018, 10:36 am

Why is Bamba projected so high?
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby noypi » May 5, 2018, 1:01 pm

shakespeare wrote:Why is Bamba projected so high?

Because he can shoot threes now? :?
“I’m still chasing a championship, I’m just chasing it here in New York,’’ Anthony said. “I’ve come to peace with that. I’m doing it in my own way on my own time.”

noypi

Postby Mike1989 » May 5, 2018, 4:00 pm

rebound wrote:1. phoenix -ayton
2. memphis - doncic
3. atlanta - bagley
4. dallas - bamba
5. orlando - trae young
6. chicago - mpjr
7. sac - jackson jr
8. cavs - knox or carter(lebron leaves needs to pick a freshmen with a high ceiling)
9. knicks - mikal

Based on this draft board and the notion that LeBron leaves, I would disagree with the Knox pick. He is very much boom or bust player, and whether LeBron stays or goes I'd expect them to extend Rodney Hood to be their starting small forward. Kevin Love is still young enough to be a piece for them going forwards at PF or C, and likewise Nance is an exciting talent that can play both positions as well. So Knox doesn't really fit with them, whereas Carter is a better fit because he could slot into the starting center position and would fit nicely next to Love, leaving them the ability to use a Nance and Thompson combination off the bench.

An alternatives pick for them could be:

- Mikal Bridges to give them a 3-and-D option, this could allow them to utilize Smith and Korver off the bench, and pairing Hood with a defensive stud like Mikal could be ideal.
- Collin Sexton might be an option because he can develop behind George Hill, leaving them with the choice to utilize Clarkson more at shooting guard and one of Smith or Korver at small forward.

But based on this draft board and their contracted roster for next season minus LeBron, I would expect them to draft Carter, but Mikal or Sexton could be picks for them.

Bamba has got elite measurements: 7 foot tall, 7'9" wingspan, 9'6" standing reach.

Bamba has a ton of upside on the defensive end and is a work in progress on the offensive end. If he ever develops a three point shot he can be special, and even if he doesn't he offers a pretty safe floor. He compares favorably to Rudy Gobert or DeAndre Jordan.

noypi wrote:I agree that LeBron's gonna leave and I have a feeling the Cavs possibly trading up, maybe RFAs Nance Jr./Hood and the 8th pick for a top 4-5 pick. So the question is who do the Dallas or Orlando pick at 8th? I hope they don't need guy like Mikal.

I'm not convinced LeBron is going to leave Cleveland. Realistically which other team is going to offer him a better supporting cast than what Cleveland can offer him?

- Philly? He'd have to accept a backseat role because I doubt Simmons and Embiid let go of their team.

- Houston? Two issues I see with this move is they'd have to work out how to deal with three ball dominant players, and the other bit is to get this deal done it would require the Rockets to sacrifice a fair amount of talent in order to make the numbers work which might leave them top heavy.

- Lakers? Sorry, they aren't near competing. I suppose they might land LeBron and PG13 in free agency if they can make those numbers work, and they can then slot Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and Zubac (or bring back Lopez) into the starting line up. But I very much doubt that line up is going to challenge the Rockets and Warriors for supremacy in the west.

- Spurs? It would likely require a trade with Kawhi going to Cleveland and LeBron going to Spurs, perhaps with some added bits thrown in to make it work like a young talent from Cleveland or perhaps their top ten pick if they can trade that (though I don't think they can?). It could work pairing LeBron with Aldridge, but like the Lakers, this team isn't likely to overcome the Rockets and Warriors.

For me, it makes sense for LeBron to stay with Cleveland. Kevin Love is under contract for at least next season and has a player option for the following one. Hill, Thompson, Smith, Clarkson, Korver, Osman, and Zizic are all under contract for the next two seasons, and Nance has one remaining year. That's a pretty decent supporting cast and they are moving towards a more athletic supporting cast rather than an ageing one. They also have a top ten pick. If they stay at 8 they could add a player that can come in and help them right now if they select Trae Young, Mohamed Bamba, or Mikal Bridges. If they move up in the draft lottery they could get a special talent to add to their roster. Imagine if they win the lottery and add Doncic or Ayton to their roster, that could boost them now and set them up for post-LeBron.

As far as I'm concerned I don't see heading west as a smart move for LeBron unless he wants a pay day in LA. If he stays east his best option is Cleveland or taking a backseat role in Philly (but I doubt he will do that). I think he stays in Cleveland.
Mike1989

Postby nazrmohamed » May 6, 2018, 1:40 pm

So try to imagine Tyson Chandler who off his skillset alone would be a top 5 pick in most drafts. Now imagine a budding 3pt shot and a slightly more mobile body. Less strong than you remember Tyson being but then again, Tyson was once a skinny rookie also.

You could also say Nerlins Noel with more of a defensive mindset. Or perhaps Chris Bosh but far less offensively skilled yet better rim protection :?

Essentially he's a lanky, tall and mobile defender....But he is developing a decent stand still jumper.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby noypi » May 9, 2018, 8:45 am

Zhaire Smith is nice... Can we just trade down and get Clippers' 2 1st rounders? Zhaire Smith and Robert Williams would be good for the rebuild.

noypi

Postby nazrmohamed » May 9, 2018, 7:27 pm

noypi wrote:

Zhaire Smith is nice... Can we just trade down and get Clippers' 2 1st rounders? Zhaire Smith and Robert Williams would be good for the rebuild.

No.

No trading down.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby cragganmor » May 10, 2018, 1:17 pm

I think Zhaire's stock is gaining traction, beginning to hear his name mentioned as a lottery candidate.

https://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw-4OZ6jo

Might actually need to pick him at #9, if he's the guy. I like Vanderbilt with the #37, could be a great glue guy, a long and athletic multipositional defender.
cragganmor

Postby Don Che » May 11, 2018, 8:45 pm

No trading down....you like who you like and take them at 9.

https://youtu.be/5ipyQZgdYoc

Lonnie walker can either be Donovan Mitchell... or Shump sick athlete not sure if he's a ball player yet.
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » May 12, 2018, 10:31 am

Don Che wrote:No trading down....you like who you like and take them at 9.

https://youtu.be/5ipyQZgdYoc

Lonnie walker can either be Donovan Mitchell... or Shump sick athlete not sure if he's a ball player yet.

Why? You like about 5 players at 9 Don. I see you waining. Your constant has always been Mikal which makes sense but he's gone before us I've seen you propose like 4 other guys.

I'm not here to bash you for it but rather to identify what you do in the event that happens and you feel that way. What you do is trade down. I don't think it's settling trading down, I think it's settling to grab someone at 9 that isn't truly your guy. If I'm NYFO, I'm already calling the Clippers to see who they want at 9 (and yes, I understand the trade doesn't happen until draft night) but c'mon

You've mentioned Zhair, Lonnie, Miles, Knox at one point or another at 9. I'm not saying you felt they were all worthy of 9 but they've been in the running. So with that in mind eliminate your favorite 1 and give yourself any two of the remaining. My point is I have no idea who you'd pick but there is literally no scenario where your favorite guys impact is higher than two other players that I trust YOU to pick.

Zhair/Miles
Lonnie/Knox
You could even pick your favorite from this grouping and then decide to take a flyer on Williams or Porter.

Imagine getting two wings
Imagine getting a wing and then getting that PF that could allow KP to play C?

It's pick 9, not pick 5. Nine. You could even pick 2 players and then trade one of them along with Frank and move up to grab Mikal Bridges anyway. So let's say you got Shai Alexander (who essentially makes Frank expendable) and Knox. You then trade Knox and Frank and walk away with Mikal and Alexander. There are just so many possibilities.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby nazrmohamed » May 12, 2018, 10:41 am

But if we stay at 9, I am starting to lean heavily toward Lonnie Walker. Thanks for the video
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » May 12, 2018, 12:14 pm

yeh i mention a ton of players...thats really what I use this forum for since I start the scouting process a tad bit early because well we always suck so its kind of my favorite thing to do out of habit lol.

and I will say this...I'm not really in love with any prospect hands down at 9, I'm kinda lukewarm on a lot of players which is the norm so I cover each one..and see how they progressed since HS.

Knox is the only player that i see that is straight up a scub waiting to happen unless he goes to the perfect situation and his work ethic is higher than i thought.

the only reason Im against trading down is because it never happens...every lottery year we bring this up and we treat the draft like its musical chairs and 99% of the time we are wrong and we pick where we pick.

so in my mind..i go into the process with that lane of thinking. Also with our roster and ourgoals...id rather use a player we have and trade into another pick into the draft so we can get the best player at 9 and Vanderbilt at like 28 if he's there.

I have discussed Zhaire/Miles/Lonnie/Carter the most recently.

Zhaire gets handle and running the pick and roll....hes a problem

Miles polishes his handle and gets a higher release point...hes a problem because from what I see..I think he can guard 2-4 on a pinch

Lonnie has to fix some shooting mechanics and actually study the game. I question his mental make up.

Carter while not athletic is as NBA ready as it gets...better shooter he becomes the better he is.
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » May 12, 2018, 9:04 pm

If your gonna trade for pick 28, I'm going with Hutchinsen or Evans.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » May 13, 2018, 1:07 pm

that depends on who we take at 9.

I see Hutch and Evans more are 2's both are good players tho and will help a team win games at some point.
Don Che

Postby Don Che » May 13, 2018, 1:58 pm

i do have a gut feeling now that Perry got his coach.....

I can see Perry and Fiz really liking Miles grit/motor and pedigree and while his offensive game is a 3/4..he's shown to be a versatile defender which fits the positionless agenda.

or Lonnie Walker but it will be interesting since we have more 2's or atleast potential 2's more than anything...but Lonnie has some serious talent. nbadraft.net says he's like OJ Mayo/Rodney Stuckey which I see...but i think Lonnie is more athletic. OJ was a alpha type prospect tho.
Don Che

PreviousNext

Return to College Basketball and NBA Draft