Trade the future again?

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

washingtonparkjones
Likes given: 0

I think everyone is gun shy to trading any picks at this point, but I think this puts on a whole different level.

Jose Calderon
Kyle O'Quinn
Lance Thomas or other filler
2018 First round pick

Rudy Gay
Darren Collison

Sacramento has two unhappy guys and is going nowhere. You would think they could get more for Rudy Gay, but his contract makes trading him difficult. Collison is clearly not in the plans for the future. Sac is thin at PF and PG (without DC). They shed almost 5 mil in salaries immediately, 6.5 into 2016-17 and almost 9 mil the following year. That would give them 56 million in salaries going into next year with only Rondo to resign.

Is the first round pick enough? They would have a lot of young cheap talent
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 262

Id rather do nothing, have things look even bleaker and see Melo waive that no trade clause before I give up picks for the likes of Rudy Gay and Collision. Your trade is EXACTLY what the Knicks do historically.

Neither player is considered a difference maker
Neither player has thier prime ahead of them

Im not even willing to give up on the lesser player we just picked, even while struggling and you're asking me to give up future firsts. And believe me, Ive offered scenarios for firsts. But to begin that discussion you gotta be talking about another teams best player under 27. Even best player over 27 ain't with it and Gay isn't that. He's the third best player on a team who is also over 27
cragganmor
Likes given: 96

i think our problems are with stability; more roster churn will not fix that and as naz noted neither is the answer, short nor long-term. we have enough talent to win, we just aren't using them the right way. i'd expect kurt to tighten the rotation to 9 players, make sure that melo only plays for 30 mpg and gets the players to buy in again; we were on the right track during that run where we flirted with .500 ball, just gotta get back there and build on it.

kurt has to make a decision on who is the backup c, koh or seraphin. he has to get regular minutes for jerian and let him play through his mistakes, has to get aa & dwill play more consistently, limit our exposure to jose, play rolo heavy minutes with an aggressive mindset from the opening tip, get kp to be an efficient threat from 10' and in and get him to relax on this trey.
washingtonparkjones

nazrmohamed wrote:Your trade is EXACTLY what the Knicks do historically.

Neither player is considered a difference maker
I hear you, and its a moot point

but someone in another thread was comparing Gay as "nearly" Melo level. He's a reliable 18 pts and 6 rbs with good efficiency and plays defense.

I like Collison, but don't pretend he's a difference maker.

These two put us a star SG away from contending and we have the cap room. Collison, Derozan (for instance), Gay, Melo, KP - its a solid lineup on both sides.
Nononsense

washingtonparkjones wrote:Collison, Derozan (for instance), Gay, Melo, KP - its a solid lineup on both sides.
Not sure how I missed this defense that you say Gay plays. :?

Anyway, a front line of KP/Melo/Gay is putting way too much responsibility on KP to anchor us on defense.
washingtonparkjones

Nononsense wrote: Not sure how I missed this defense that you say Gay plays. :?

Anyway, a front line of KP/Melo/Gay is putting way too much responsibility on KP to anchor us on defense.
Gay is #46 in the league in steals this year, #54 in blocks. He's the Griz all team leader in steals.

You may have a point about KP. He needs another 15 lbs of muscle in the off season.