OK we keep Melo how do we get this team in a postion to contend for a Title

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

vino92
Likes given: 0

Ok lets assume Melo stays what moves can we make this year and next to put him in a postion to contend for title. I think Melo best postion in the coming years is gonna be at PF I've been saying since the begining I would like to see Porzingis at ceter ala Dave Cowens someone who can post low or top of the key the kid is quick with a good handle when he puts on 15-20 lbs he's goona be a Monster in the low post ever since Melo been here I like his game better at the PF postion I think this is more true as he gets older, I would like to go after Barnes the Sf from GS and Clarkson the PG from the Lakers as free agents next years I think Barnes has the game to be a 20 point scorer and I like him in a 3 guard rotation with Gallo and Grant If where gonna kepp Melo lets put younger more athletic players around him Porzingis at cenetr gives us more Rebounding better scoring and defense that Lopez in fact I would hope to trade Lopez for a late 1st rounder in next year draft. If where not gonna trade Melo that lets try to surround him with some parts that gives hin a chance to compete.
Mr3037

I like Barnes & Crawford but I think we need to do better if we are talking title contenders.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
vino92

Not Crawford, Clakson PG from Lakers, I don't see how we can do better besides Lopez I don't see another tradeable commodoity we have no draft picks and the free agents are limited while I like Conely he gonna want a max contract I think U get Clarkson for less and I think Barnes has untapped Potential
Mr3037

vino92 wrote:Not Crawford, Clakson PG from Lakers, I don't see how we can do better besides Lopez I don't see another tradeable commodoity we have no draft picks and the free agents are limited while I like Conely he gonna want a max contract I think U get Clarkson for less and I think Barnes has untapped Potential
Sorry Clarkson is what I meant.

I'm not saying we CAN do better but I think to talk chips we'd HAVE to do better.

That being saying Clarkson, Barnes, Melo, Porzingis, Lopez is a pretty good s5.
NYK Fan since 92
NYKFP Fan since 04

28 years & counting...Bleeding Orange & Blue
vino92

Actually I'm In favor of moving Lopez maybe when his contract allows it we can move him to Brooklyn and let him play with his Brother for say Young and Bojan I want to put younger guys around Melo. Young's a Pro and Bojan a good tall guard that can shoot I think he would do well spacing the court in the Triangle
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

I think Porzingis is a 4 until proven otherwise. I'd want to see him gain weight and play effectively at 5 during the regular season before I trade Lopez who, while overpaid, is serviceable at center. Right now the Knicks look pretty good with the style they're playing: with a big lineup, above average defense and keeping games at a slow tempo.

I said it in the other thread I really like Vasquez in the next free-agent class. Barnes is nice but to pay him the money he's going to get he has to start, not sure if I want to shift Melo/Porzingis to 4/5 to accommodate Barnes.

More importantly this team isn't a finished product after this offseason, or the next.

First of all the Knicks have a team option on Galloway's contract after this season for under 1 mil, I'd make it a priority to waive the team option to negotiate a long-term contract in good faith.

Assuming Afflalo and DWill take their player options for next season the team would have about 23 million expiring after next season (Calderon, Williams, Afflalo and Seraphin).

The guys locked up through 2019 at this point are Melo, Lopez, Grant, Zinger and O'Quinn. That's 46 million in 2018 (assuming the team takes the team options on Zinger and Grant) and a little more in 19.

If the team does some bargain-basement signings and gets production out of short-term contracts (like now with Galloway, Amundson and Thomas's contracts) that will help. Signing a young talented guard to add to this core would be worthwhile but even with a guy like Vasquez (or even if you wanted to offer a max to Mike Conley) the Knicks are still going to be able to offer at least a mini-max in 2018.

Lopez and Melo haven't sunk the ship because right now they're productive, but the goal should be avoiding 4 year contracts of that size to role players. It's not perfect but the team is in OK shape salary-wise. There's enough flexibility that I don't think adding talent while Melo is still in his prime is going to be difficult. Especially if the team wins games and Zinger looks like a stud.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Bring Noah home.

Get a defensive guard that can start and pair with Galloway or Grant
Minkaveli
Likes given: 178

Wait until the off season and spend wisely with the $20 million in cap space we'll have.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
NYGM
Likes given: 510

Melo at PF and KP at C next year?.. Don't see it.. Could be, but i'll give KP another year..

If you want Melo at PF then go for broke and bring Durantula.. KD can play SG or SF right now.. We need the firepower and the talent.. Since i don't like Conley and Greivis (my homeboy) is better situed as a backup, i think going forward with Gallo (he seems to be for real) and Grant (hopefully he will develope) wont be a problem..

Grant
Gallo
KD
Melo
KP

ECF here we go..
vino92

We just spent 20 mil on Lopez and Affallo not sure I call that spending wisely don't see KD coming her and while I know everyone wants to compare KP to Dirk I disagree the Kid tougher a better defender and rebound-er the Kid has a mean streak as it is he plays better defense and rebounds better than Lopez right now put 15 lbs on this Kid and he gonna bring back the dominate center with a monster inside out game
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

We need Bradley Beal or Nick Batum
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

vino92 wrote:We just spent 20 mil on Lopez and Affallo not sure I call that spending wisely don't see KD coming her and while I know everyone wants to compare KP to Dirk I disagree the Kid tougher a better defender and rebound-er the Kid has a mean streak as it is he plays better defense and rebounds better than Lopez right now put 15 lbs on this Kid and he gonna bring back the dominate center with a monster inside out game
You think Dirk is a better defender than Zinger? :?
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
Minkaveli
Likes given: 178

vino92 wrote:We just spent 20 mil on Lopez and Affallo not sure I call that spending wisely don't see KD coming her and while I know everyone wants to compare KP to Dirk I disagree the Kid tougher a better defender and rebound-er the Kid has a mean streak as it is he plays better defense and rebounds better than Lopez right now put 15 lbs on this Kid and he gonna bring back the dominate center with a monster inside out game
How about we be patient and develop the talent we have, pay them and encourage a team atmosphere? That's working well in Golden State. Afflalo has been pretty good so far and Lopez is doing what we need him to do. Get another solid player like a Batum who I saw mentioned who is still young, develop and pay the talent we have (Galloway, Lance Thomas and others) and trust the process. It's all about building a culture.

2012-2013-that was going ALL in for the chip and it didn't work. Look at the Nets. Didn't work. We need to be smart.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
NYGM

nazrmohamed wrote:We need Bradley Beal or Nick Batum
Don't like Beal..

Batum is interesting...
NYGM

Minkaveli wrote: 2012-2013-that was going ALL in for the chip and it didn't work. Look at the Nets. Didn't work. We need to be smart.
KD is better than anyone the nets got.. He's better than all of them together IMO..
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Sign Batum and Noah.

Noah
KP
Melo
Batum
Gallo or Grant

Can compete with anyone
NYGM

Don Che wrote:Sign Batum and Noah.

Noah
KP
Melo
Batum
Gallo or Grant

Can compete with anyone

Looks good.. I'm not sure about the numbers for those 2..

Noah seems to be really limited by his injury, i'm not sure he'll be able to impact the game like he used to be,,

Batum is a really good complementary player.. Skilled as any SF in the league, but not a difference maker...
Red

How do we get this team in position to win a title?

We exercise patience and wait. I think you'll see this team will be a pleasant surprise.
The Mecca of Mess
Swiss-GrandMa

I would keep the team as it is for this season. No trade needed.
Let the players gell and continue to build the team spirit. In summer the Knicks will be a place top players want to come. So then the Knicks decide the terms. Nothing more to do for the moment.
gradyandrew

vino, what's your problem with Afflalo? The guy seems to be everything promised and more. I had no idea he had so many ways to break the defense down one on one.
Randle in the Rafters