Knicks Free Agency Predictions: (And why I think the surprise is Tyreke Evans)

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Knicks Free Agency Predictions: (And why I think the surprise is Tyreke Evans)

Postby mikeaman » June 30, 2013, 10:07 am

Glen seems truly excited that the Knicks can make a splash in this years free agency. That's what all the "creative" rhetoric is about. I don't think he would stand there and con us like this. If there is a surprise this offseason, which I think there will be, I think Tyreke Evans is the first player on our white board. And we would be acquiring Tyreke Evans to be our starting PG (since he needs the ball in his hands to be successful)

It's no secret that the front offices of the Knicks and the Lakers covet the exact same players. It was reported last year at the trade deadline that the Lakers at the deadline had an offer on the table for Tyreke Evans. If the Lakers were interested, then we're definitely interested.

The more I listen to Glen talk the more I think Raymond Felton is not gonna be on the team next year. As an exact quote from Glen in yesterday's Newsday article, Glen said that the Knicks have to add "at least one more point guard." In other words, it's not enough of an upgrade to keep Raymond as the starter and sign an under-sized uber-quick scoring point guard off the bench.

The quandary the Knicks are in is that we have outlined that we want to upgrade at the point guard position. In this heavy pick and roll system though, I'm not sure Raymond Felton is a guy you want to bring off the bench. The ideal situation is to upgrade at the starting point guard position and have an uber-quick undersized scoring type point guard off the bench. Even besides Nate Robinson, there are a ton of these type of players who are free agents this offseason. DJ Augustin, CJ Watson, Aaron Brooks.

My prediction for what our starting lineup looks on opening day next year:

Tyreke Evans (acquired by trading Felton and a pick into the future)
Iman Shumpert
Carmelo Anthony
Luis Scola (or any post player)
Tyson Chandler

Bench:

Any undersized uber-quick pg (can be Aaron Brooks, DJ Augustin, CJ Watson)
JR Smith
Charlie Villanueva (lol)
Shawne Williams
Amare Stoudemire

That's a drastically improved roster. I think we identify Tyreke Evans as an under-utilized asset who we can trade for without dealing Shumpert. I think we jump on it. And I think Tyreke Evans is the starting point guard on the Knicks next year.
Last edited by mikeaman on June 30, 2013, 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Knicks 2011.
mikeaman

Re: Knicks Free Agency Predictions: (And why I think the surprise is Tyreke Evans)

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 30, 2013, 10:23 am

Cool story...

I'd love for us to add Evans to the roster. As for the rest of the guys you chose to fill out the roster, not so much. But if there's any chance to bring in Evans we have to do it.

Patiently awaiting spree#8 with his ether... The killer of hopes and dreams regarding roster moves. 8-)
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Re: Knicks Free Agency Predictions: (And why I think the surprise is Tyreke Evans)

Postby DolanCurse2001 » June 30, 2013, 10:37 am

I'd be shocked if Grunwald trades Felton for anything other than another PG. And as good as Evans might be, he's not a PG. You would also have to believe the Kings can get much more then Felton in return for one of the most talented young players in the league.

Get excited all you want but be prepared to be disappointed. We're in no position financially to make a splash this summer. I'd honestly be happy if we're able to get 3/4 of our own free agents back and add a decent pg and big man for the minimum.
DolanCurse2001

Postby bobhait » June 30, 2013, 10:45 am

Evans/Shumpert is not the starting backcourt I want to see - we need a real PG out there
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 30, 2013, 12:08 pm

^^^
I guess you didn't mind us getting torched by every other backcourt in the league this past season.

It would be a nice change to see teams being forced to have to defend our backcourt every once in awhile.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby bobhait » June 30, 2013, 12:16 pm

I mind us not being able to move the ball on offense, which was the case when we didn't have a PG the season prior
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 30, 2013, 12:27 pm

Oh, you're talking about our offense under D'Antoni...

Well we won't be forced to just dump the ball into Melo if we have a player like Evans that can CREATE his own scoring opportunities. While at the same time collapsing defenses creating scoring opportunities for teammates. Evans isn't selfish, he's a willing passer and he'll have plenty of scorers to share the load with here on the Knicks...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 30, 2013, 12:38 pm

at the 17 second mark that's Tony Allen.

At the 9:27 mark they chose to point out his passing ability.

Nope!!! Don't want him...
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby bobhait » July 1, 2013, 3:25 am

no, I'm talking about our offense without a legitimate PG - remember when Felton was out for a season? we could barely beat the Bobcats without a legitimate PG, and it's not about who can score for themselves, but who can keep everybody on the floor in the flow of the game
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » July 1, 2013, 5:54 pm

Like I said under D'Antoni...when we had ya boys Jeremy Lin, Mike Bibby, Baron Davis and Toney Douglas running the show. Not exactly world beaters at the PG position, and hardly comparable to someone like Evans who disrupts and collapses defenses. Evans has averaged 5 assists/game for his career, and that's with being the scoring leader for his team. Put him on our team where he wouldn't be the first option and those assists will increase...

Legitimate PG or scoring PG but in Evans you get both... I just don't see a PG that has the ability to be both a facilitator AND a scorer as a bad thing. Whereas you might.

We've witnessed firsthand how disruptive an aggressive PG can be to our defense. On the flipside we've also seen how dynamic our team is when Felton/Kidd/Prigioni have taken on more of a scoring role. My point is this we're forced to defend a lot of those guys here in the East. Having our own can't hurt. I'm still hopeful that Shumpert may eventually be that guy.

It's lookin' like the Pelicans have already snatched Evans up.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby Nononsense » July 2, 2013, 12:11 pm

So much for your "surprise" Mikeaman. :LOL:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36718
Nononsense

Postby Naan » July 2, 2013, 12:44 pm

Nononsense wrote:So much for your "surprise" Mikeaman. :LOL:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36718

Surprise, Non! The surprise is now Rondo.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36722
Naan

Return to Armchair GM