Prediction: Knicks Will Swing Draft Night Trade For Ben Gordon

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Prediction: Knicks Will Swing Draft Night Trade For Ben Gordon

Postby mikeaman » June 12, 2013, 8:20 am

The Knicks are going to swing a draft night trade for Ben Gordon in my honest opinon.

First, I think he would be a difference maker on this team. He lacks true PG skills but that doesn't matter as much in this system. Woody kept Dantoni's pick and roll principles and as a result any guard whose quick (I know Gordon is not as quick as he once was) and has the ability to shoot off the dribble would excel in this system.

Recall Grunwald's exit interview: "Our Primary Goal is Adding Speed" and "If there's something that's out there, we're gonna look into it." The only thing that's "out there" in my opinion is that the Bobcats want to part ways with Ben Gordon for causing fights in the locker room last year and getting frustrated with all the losing.

And the truth of the matter is that the Knicks need two more quality guards. I see Shumpert as a guy who is going to spend some time in the future at the small forward position in smaller lineups. As a result, the only other quality PG or SG on the team in my opinion is JR Smith. Two other quality guards have to be added. You can't bank on a return from Nate Robinson. You need to add speed. I put two and two together as I look around the league and think a trade for Ben Gordon is the only logical possibility.

The Brooklyn Nets also have a large expiring contract in Kris Humphries to deal to the Bobcats for Ben Gordon. But they (according to reports) are trading that contract and picks into the future to acquire another small forward like Nick Batum.

Since you're always unsure on who will be available in free agency, the logical move for the Knicks is to trade fillers (like Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, and Jason Kidd) and picks into the future (maybe one or two) to acquire Ben Gordon. It's the right move to make.

And I really think Ben Gordon will be on the Knicks in a couple of weeks.
Knicks 2011.
mikeaman

Re: Prediction: Knicks Will Swing Draft Night Trade For Ben Gordon

Postby bobhait » June 12, 2013, 2:12 pm

Kidd's retired, so we can't trade his contract... what else you got?
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby bobhait » June 12, 2013, 2:15 pm

for the record, I'd be in favor of trading for Ben Gordon as a way of getting rid of some bad contracts
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby nazrmohamed » June 17, 2013, 11:23 am

bobhait wrote:for the record, I'd be in favor of trading for Ben Gordon as a way of getting rid of some bad contracts

Like who? We don't really have any bad contracts outside of Amare.

As for Ben Gordon hes a 6'3 SG with little athleticism left who never played defense and hasn't won ever. In other words he sucks. Even in his prime he was more of a teams perfect sixth man, you cant start him. Getting him and seeing he and Shumpert at the wings is like a doomsday scenario for me.

ENOUGH WITH THE SMALL PERIMETER

THAT what has killed us more than Melo at the 4, one C, all of it. Our weakness is a short perimeter who is fully reliant on outside shooting. If Melo stayed at the four and we had imposing wing players and a tall pg people wouldn't be so ashamed of small ball because essentially at every position outside of Melo we'd be tall. Why are the Knicks so enamored with 6ft pgs and 6'3 SGs?

You know who we SHOULD BE looking to trade for if we were gonna keep Melo at SF. Tall SF's who rebound well and are athletic. Guys who fly down on the fast break and wanna dunk.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby bobhait » June 17, 2013, 3:34 pm

well, nazr, Ben Gordon's contract is actually big enough to accommodate a trade for Amar'e, as long as MJ throws in, say, Ramon Sessions and some good incentive. but I was thinking more along the lines of us getting rid of Novak and Camby's deals
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Return to Armchair GM