2013 NBA Free Agents

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: 2013 NBA Free Agents

Postby nazrmohamed » May 30, 2013, 8:20 pm

KnickFanMidwest wrote:Nazr, that ^ does not address of Center problem - which in by opinion is our #1 concern. Kmart is a great PF - but is too small to play C & do you really want to depend on Camby after last season? We need a dependable backup Center.

Chandler and Kmart were great at C....GREAT. The problem if they be surrounded by a team of guards essentially. Short guards at that. You'd have Camby as insurance and if you need more sign Barron. I think what the Knicks need is a better pure PF with the ability to score. We can add 20 Centers. Whats gonns move Melo to SF and keep him there is another good PF. Which is why our big lineup rests on Amare or Mitchell if we can draft him.
Last edited by nazrmohamed on May 31, 2013, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby DolanCurse2001 » May 31, 2013, 8:22 am

The Houston Rockets are determined to trade forward Thomas Robinson – the fifth pick in the 2012 NBA draft – to create salary-cap space for the pursuit of the Los Angeles Lakers' free-agent superstar Dwight Howard, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The Rockets have made clear to multiple rival teams that they plan to accept the best offer to move Robinson and eliminate his $3.52 million salary for the 2013-14 season.

Anyway we can get in on this? Robinson is super talented.

DolanCurse2001

Postby KnickFanMidwest » May 31, 2013, 9:12 am

Nazr, I guess that you didn't Notice Hibbert Bitch around Kmart, not just Chandler, during the Playoffs. I noticed.
-Native New Yorker Exiled to the Mid-West.
KnickFanMidwest

Postby Don Che » May 31, 2013, 12:09 pm

I think Robinson would be a great guy to play next to Kenyon off the bench. Couldn't we just offer our 3 mill cash for him then?

Camby should play spot minutes, Kenyon should play 4/5 and have them set screens off the ball so Shump/Felton/Melo/Cope/Pablo/JR and whoever else get free shots.

But its a dual problem, the reason Kenyon and Tyson together didn't work is because nothing was done off the ball..it was all pick and roll letting the defense dictate who was free to shoot. Which is a good idea if 4 out of ur 5 guys can shoot or attack the rim. But if we have 2 bigs...gotta free up shots for ur teammates.

Camby should play and I think him and Woodson gotta communicate more to see where it went wrong.

as for FA's

Nate, Isaiah, Ben Gordon,Devin Harris are guards I like depending on our Pablo/Kidd/J.R(want him gone) situation.

Brand, Blair, Hickson(long shot), Earl Clark, Dorrell Wright, Donte Green depending our situation with Kenyon/Cope
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » May 31, 2013, 2:54 pm

Hey Houston, you know Steve Novak plays well with Jeremy Lin? So just give us Thomas Robinson and we'll give you "Mr. Championship Belt sniper" in return ;)
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby KnickFanMidwest » May 31, 2013, 3:45 pm

big_j_NY wrote:Hey Houston, you know Steve Novak plays well with Jeremy Lin? So just give us Thomas Robinson and we'll give you "Mr. Championship Belt sniper" in return ;)

It looks like you are being sarcastic, but I just wanted to say that Houston is trying to free up Cap Space, so not gonna happen. No, we need to Trade Novak & his terrible contract for either a Draft Pick or a bag of Peanuts....
KnickFanMidwest

Postby KnickFanMidwest » May 31, 2013, 7:13 pm

Bleacher Report reads NYKFP apparently: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1657 ... contenders
KnickFanMidwest

Postby nazrmohamed » May 31, 2013, 9:34 pm

Often Ive argued what we should draft or go with. But really nobody is totally wrong because we do need just about everything. From what I understand here are the facts.

We can resign all of our free agents and still have 3 million new dollars to spend.
We have pick #24

Ok, so heres how you go big and stay big.

Option 1- You split the 3 mil between Andre Blatche and Matt Barnes. Both made $850k so perhaps going to another contender for $1.5 mil a piece is a good situation for them. If I had to do so, id give Blatche 2mil and Barnes 1mil just based on the more pressing need of having a true backup PF to Amare. Then in terms of the draft we should target Whithey/Dieng/Mitchell. The first two are Centers, Mitchell is a Pf who Id pick up and still go after Blatche as Blatche can play either big spot. Hopefully the Knicks can trade for a second rounder and bring in a pg but as Ive stated in another thread. The Knicks have so many pgs we play two at the same time and bring one off the bench so...the moves I propose here put people at natural positions and would probably let us have all three share the position so really, what pg problem?

Felton/Priggs/Kidd/Pg#4
Shumpert/Smith
Melo/Barnes/Copeland
Amare/Blatche
Chandler/Kmart/Whithey

Option 2- We go after Nate and I mean hardcore go after him. Itll probably take the full 3mil, maybe wemight not even be able to afford him but something tells me he'll play for us at 3mil. We then draft one the same guys in option 1 and resign Earl Barron.

Felton/Nate/Kidd/Pg#4
Shumpert/Smith
Melo/Copeland
Amare/Kmart/Mitchel
Chandler/Camby/Barron
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby big_j_NY » May 31, 2013, 9:42 pm

Nazr, technically Barnes will qualifying for the full veteran's minimum...........which is roughly around $1.3M to be precise, since Barnes will be a 10 yr NBA veteran. You're better off just persuading Blatche with the full mini-MLE in your scenario and Barnes will probably take the veteran's minimum (if he thinks we're good enough for him)
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby nazrmohamed » May 31, 2013, 11:33 pm

big_j_NY wrote:Nazr, technically Barnes will qualifying for the full veteran's minimum...........which is roughly around $1.3M to be precise, since Barnes will be a 10 yr NBA veteran. You're better off just persuading Blatche with the full mini-MLE in your scenario and Barnes will probably take the veteran's minimum (if he thinks we're good enough for him)

Thats why youre my home boy J. These would be good moves that keep us playing big, and as such our pgs could actually play pg, at which point we would have three and no real pg problem. But since its still a priority to some maybe we could draft one.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby big_j_NY » May 31, 2013, 11:37 pm

The Wizards are willing to give away their 2 second round picks for this year's draft.................for hopes of landing a NBA veteran (irregardless of expiring contract or not). Novak is tradable, I think you can do the math on that one

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=36578
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 1, 2013, 3:57 pm

KnicksFanInSouthFL wrote:Re-sign: JR Smith, Chris Copeland, Kenyon Martin
Trade 'Em: Tyson Chandler, Steve Novak, Jason Kidd, *Marcus Camby
*(or allow him to play)

In a perfect world we'd be able to just dump Chandler + Novak for Andrew Bynum or Al Jefferson. Why can't things be that simple?

PG: Nate Robinson, Will Bynum, Shaun Livingston
SG: Marco Belinelli
SF: Corey Brewer, Matt Barnes, Renaldo Balkman, Chris Douglas-Roberts
PF: Andray Blatche, J.J. Hickson, Jared Jeffries, Jason Maxiell, DeJuan Blair, Sean Williams
C: Chris Anderson

THAFANATIK mentioned going after Josh Selby in another thread, which for us I agree would make a lot of sense since he's been considered NBA talent worthy his entire life, BUT I am curious as to why he hasn't been able to secure a spot on an NBA roster up to this point. At the very least he'd definitely be worth a summer league invite.

If a talent like Josh Selby can get lost in the NBA but thrive in the D-League how many other talented players are there like him? With that said, I'm not on the Glen Rice Jr bandwagon, sumthin just doesn't feel quite right about him...but these guys are worth a look via free agency. http://www.nba.com/dleague/prospectwatch/

Jeremy Tyler PF/C - 6'10" 260lbs (former blue chip prospect just like Josh Selby)
Samardo Samuels PF - 6'9" 260lbs
Chris Wright SF/PF - 6'8" 225lbs

and why not reach out to Greg Oden and Joe Alexander while we're at it... 8-)
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby nazrmohamed » June 4, 2013, 10:46 am

You guys do realize that Lance Stephensen is a free agent right? Dude made $800k this season. Id love to swoop in and steal him. Hes young, hes shown that he has heart, hes a willing defender, he can shoot and he can handle the ball. He and Shumpert could make an awesome perimeter tandem. Some here have expressed interest in developing Shumpert as a real PG.

Shumpert/Felton
Stephensen/Smith
Anthony/Copeland
Amare/Blatche/Mitchell
Chandler/Camby/Barron

Im not sure exactly how our offense would look but Id expect that Melo still gets a majority of the shots and we become the best defense in the league. Shit, now that Kidd has retired Id have Shumpert spend the entire summer with him and see what he does. Could be Kidds first assignment of his new coaching career.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » June 11, 2013, 12:16 pm

Melo and Amar'e would only work if you have lights out shooters at the guard position.

Lance isn't that guy..neither is Felton tho.

Lance on defense would be great..but we'd need a better shooter.

Tyson would need to be able to pass also tho.
Don Che

Postby bobhait » June 11, 2013, 1:16 pm

Melo and Amar'e will only work if Amar'e stays healthy for a full season
Hornacek Era prelude
bobhait

Postby nazrmohamed » June 11, 2013, 10:06 pm

^^^^^ :clap:

We cant make our moves all based on an assumption that Amare is good enough to start at PF, or healthy enough to stay there. I think the best scenario for the Knicks and Amare is where we got a major minutes eater at PF behind him and he can start for 30 minutes a game. The likeliest scenario is one where he's a sixth man big man coming off the bench playing 25 minutes but featured when he does. Worst case scenario he gets hurt or worse he comes back and just sucks big time.

I typically like to plan under the idea that Amare will be our best bench player. If I get more Id be elated.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby KnicksFanInSouthFL » June 12, 2013, 10:24 am

^^^
A sixth-man-big-man...BRILLIANT!!! AND we'd still have JR Smith, the reigning 6th man of tha year, our bench would be unstoppable with two 6th man of tha year candidates...

Would Andrew Bynum fit the mold as a sixth-man-big-man? What about Yao Ming? What would you call Steph Curry, Kyrie Irving and Dwayne Wade? and would the same logic apply to them???
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Postby KnickFanMidwest » June 19, 2013, 4:10 pm

Well, it looks like Houston will not use thier team options on Carlos Delfino & Aaron Brooks. They will be FA's. I think these two would be pretty good pickups for $1.5 mil each:

Felton/Brooks/?
Shump/JR Smith/?
Melo/Delfino/Novak
Amare/KMart/Mitchell
Chandler/Camby/Barron
KnickFanMidwest

Postby big_j_NY » June 19, 2013, 7:30 pm

I don't mind Delfino, the guy is legit from a role player's view point. Delfino can put the ball on the floor, shoot the 3, pass, and he's a solid defender (not lockdown defender, so don't think that high folks).

Eh........I'll pass on Aaron Brooks. The guy couldn't get past Patrick Beverly and Jeremy Lin on the Rockets depth chart, despite having previous success as the Rockets' starting PG years ago
#EmbraceTheTank2018

#InPorzingisWeTrust

big_j_NY

Postby KnickFanMidwest » June 19, 2013, 7:38 pm

big_j_NY wrote:I don't mind Delfino, the guy is legit from a role player's view point. Delfino can put the ball on the floor, shoot the 3, pass, and he's a solid defender (not lockdown defender, so don't think that high folks).

Eh........I'll pass on Aaron Brooks. The guy couldn't get past Patrick Beverly and Jeremy Lin on the Rockets depth chart, despite having previous success as the Rockets' starting PG years ago

Hmm.... Well then, looks like I am crossing my fingers for Nate or Pablo, because this Bynum character does not excite me.
KnickFanMidwest

PreviousNext

Return to Armchair GM