New York- Utah

Post all your ideas for trade proposals and signings to improve the Knicks or other NBA teams.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

n8 the gr8
Likes given: 165

Knicks Trade:
JR Smith
Novak

Utah Trades:
Milsap
Pick (either protected 1st rounder or a couple of 2nd rounders)

Utah gets a perimeter player that they can pair with Jefferson who can score a ton of points and be a star. By swapping Smith for a 4 the Knicks have no excuse (or need if you're Mike Woodson) to play Melo at the 4. This trade makes sense if you don't have a lot of faith in the dinosaurs that are bigmen on the roster. I'm really big on Milsap, he has good range for a 4 and I think he could be effective alongside Stat or Chandler, he's a good all around player and he can be really effective in grind-it-out halfcourt games that the Knicks have been struggling in. The Knicks wouldn't be as pretty but I think the team would be tougher in the playoffs after this trade. Plus there's a roster spot for the free agent of choice, probably a young backup combo-guard.

Playoff Rotation:
Felton (30)/Prigs (18)
Shumpert (28)/Kidd (20)
Melo (36)/Brewer (12)
Amare (16)/Milsap (32)
Chandler (32)/Amare (16)

When Wallace and/or Camby are healthy they can also get minutes at the 5. Copeland and Kurt aren't getting any burn now so I'm assuming Woodson isn't going to trust either of them in the playoffs. Amare has showed the Knicks the value of having a big that can come in off the bench and score from the post, but I think the Knicks would be even more dangerous if Amare starts and Milsap is on the bench, the Knicks have 3 legit post threats on the team. Smith has been playing hard for the Knicks but there have been so many games that he's shot the Knicks out of. It only takes 4 games to get knocked out of the playoffs and Smith has some really scary extended stretches where he really can't hit the broadside of a barn. I'm not panicking, but I'd feel better if the Knicks didn't rely so much on a player so inconsistent, in that respect I think making a trade to go bigger would be good for the Knicks.

After this trade the Knicks would still have picks, Hill, Brewer and White all of which I consider expendable to go after someone else at the deadline. They would still have enough assets to go get another difference maker and fill another need. And all things considered, the Knicks are still young. Chandler is 30, but Shumpert, Ray, Melo, Amare and Milsap are still in their 20s.

The caveat is that Smith has to approve any trade because of a clause in his contract. :hmm:
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
mikeaman
Likes given: 0

Very interesting. But I don't really like it.

The league's getting more and more athletic. And you're saying acquire another traditional power forward.

Millsap is good but when the goal is beating the Heat and the Thunder I'd go more for athleticism.

One traditional power forward in Stat is enough in my opinion. At times we won't even want to play him.

Millsap and Amare playing together at times? Problems on defense in my opinion.

You also have Shumpert playing 28 minutes a game.

He won't be able to play that in the playoffs for at least another year or two.

So I don't like trading Smith either.
Knicks 2011.
n8 the gr8

Milsap can more than hold hit own defensively at the 4 and for 16 minutes a game I really don't see Stat as that much of a liability at 5. There are lots of teams playing small centers now. I see what you're saying about not wanting a traditional pf, but Milsap has a nice post game but offensively he's still a really tough cover for anyone in the mid-range. All things considered he's not going to be guarding quick wings, he's a bruiser, but he's not a one-dimensional pf.

The guys on the halftime show today just mentioned how the Knicks should go after Milsap. They must've read my thread. 8-)
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

~Clyde
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Milsap isn't athletic, Mike? Last I checked, Milsap's athleticism is so explosive that it makes up for the fact that he is very undersized at PF at 6 feet 7 inches.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Id do this trade in a heart beat, ESPECIALLY for the Heat. The only think id do is start Milsap. And yes I know, i know. Everybody wants Amare to start but thats when you're looking at a team that it apparently makes no goddamn sense not to. With Milsap at Pf it'd make sense to keep Amare benched and just ride out the rest of his tenure with him as the super backup combo big. Id want great bigs on the floor at all times and its Amares versatility in being able to play both positions that would probably make me want him to backup both positions. Not to mention keep him healthy for the rest of his career.
Naan

I'd make that trade. Novak is useless and Smith probably won't be a Knick next season. Too bad Smith wouldn't make that trade.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

Naan wrote:I'd make that trade. Novak is useless and Smith probably won't be a Knick next season. Too bad Smith wouldn't make that trade.
Scoring 6th men guards are easy to replace............not to mention JR has the potential to "shoot out" games for the Knicks instead of "shoot wins" for the Knicks, especially tonight where JR decided to shit the bed offensively
Naan

big_j_NY wrote:Scoring 6th men guards are easy to replace............not to mention JR has the potential to "shoot out" games for the Knicks instead of "shoot wins" for the Knicks, especially tonight where JR decided to shit the bed offensively
I'm a huge fan of J.R., but this trade is a no-brainer, especially for the future if the Knicks were to fail during this promising window of opportunity, which is looking all too likely lately.
rtn393
Global Moderator

J.R is on a one-year Bird deal and has veto power over any trade. As Naan alluded to, I doubt he approves a trade to Salt Lake City.

I'll admit though, Paul Millsap would be a great fit here. Millsap/Chandler/Amar'e is a really nice 3-man rotation at the 4 and 5 spots.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 251

Extend it.

Smith, Novak and Kidd for Milsap and Foye
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

millsap is a pretty good player. the guy has toughness, strength and skills, some very good athleticism, plus he always gives effort, always working hard. i can see him and chandler being a really tough combo down low, protecting the rim and grabbing rebounds.
KnicksFanInSouthFL

Out of all the "deals" mentioned this is the only one that I wouldn't really object to...but JR wouldn't allow this happen.
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?
n8 the gr8

I actually think it would make sense for Smith to consider accepting a trade before the deadline. Of course he likes New York and I'm sure he loves how Woodson allows him to take 20+ shots a game when he can't hit the broadside of the barn but he's got to think long-term and realize that he's at his physical peak and he's going to want a big contract. If he goes to Utah and finishes the season strong, averages a lot of points he could get a really big payday right away. Everyone in the organization seems set with Shump as the SG of the future and while Smith is a nice 6th man the Knicks aren't going to have the cash to shell-out. And it's not even a matter of going into the luxury tax, because I think Dolan is willing to spend whatever, but the Knicks aren't going to be allowed to spend as much as Dolan could in the last CBA.

While they're not on the same level IMO JR could be looking at James Harden's situation and thinking that could be him.
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

~Clyde
KnicksFanInSouthFL

JR's from Freehold, NJ. He became a star in Newark, NJ playing for Saint Benedict's. And is now playing for the NY, Knicks... He ain't leavin' here willingly, and he'll still get his money next year from somewhere.

Not to mention this dude has been linked to every C-list reality-celebrity female in the Tri-State area.

When you're accustomed to stuff like this Utah just doesn't add up...
Is Melo-God Zen-o-phobic?