Did Thibs screw the Knicks going for the 2 seed?

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

H20Knick
Likes given: 3

76ers ducking the knicks. rightfully so
In Thibs we trust.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
bobhait
Likes given: 65

H20Knick wrote: April 17th, 2024, 8:21 pm 76ers ducking the knicks. rightfully so
to play the Celtics? they’re not ducking, they’re just shit. whoever said Embiid is back was lying, and Maxey ain’t built for this yet
sky’s the limit
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

Sixers up by 5, 24 sec left and Joel is moving ultra slow, can feel his knees creaking
rebound
Likes given: 1156

good matchup. if they cant beat this sixers team tommy has to go.
These users liked rebound’s post:
big_j_NY (April 17th, 2024, 9:46 pm)
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

A first round matchup where the Knicks don't have to fear a trip to the ER, SUCK A DICK MIAMI.............not to mention Embiid's walking on shaking knees right now, so he most definitely WILL NOT BE 100% for the Knicks playoff series starting this Saturday.

In other words,
rebound wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:41 pm good matchup. if they cant beat this sixers team tommy has to go.
bobhait

Embiid had enough for this one game. I don’t think he has much for a series
sky’s the limit
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

bobhait wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:57 pm Embiid had enough for this one game. I don’t think he has much for a series
At least we won't have to worry about Bam illegal screening Brunson all the way to the Operating Room OR any of those other Miami goons doing an illegal over the back foul on any of our Centers to make them join Julius on the "out for 5 months list" :relief:
DreOfficial
Likes given: 7

I wouldn't count out the 76ers. The 76ers have the advantage with their strong frontcourt featuring Joel MVbiid, who could challenge the Knicks' defense. I Hart has been hobbled all season, Mitch Rob is probably still not in basketball shape, and Sims gets no burn. However, the Knicks have shown resilience and solid team play throughout the season, which could help them counteract the 76ers' strengths. We also have a home-court advantage, but Nick Nurse can make adjustments during a playoff series.

I want to add that I've said all year that we need an offensive center. I think that will come to light during the series more than ever. With that being said, I still think the Knicks win in 7.
bobhait

I have the Knicks in 6
sky’s the limit
Greenie
Likes given: 58

DreOfficial wrote: April 17th, 2024, 10:24 pm I wouldn't count out the 76ers. The 76ers have the advantage with their strong frontcourt featuring Joel MVbiid, who could challenge the Knicks' defense. I Hart has been hobbled all season, Mitch Rob is probably still not in basketball shape, and Sims gets no burn. However, the Knicks have shown resilience and solid team play throughout the season, which could help them counteract the 76ers' strengths. We also have a home-court advantage, but Nick Nurse can make adjustments during a playoff series.

I want to add that I've said all year that we need an offensive center. I think that will come to light during the series more than ever. With that being said, I still think the Knicks win in 7.
I don't think it's a good matchup for us either due to Embiid.

Welp
spree#8
Likes given: 548

Thibs will get an extension whether we lose in the first-round or not. Sixers with Embiid vs. us without Randle assures that. Sixers are favored to win this series.

I think we will win though - if we can get DiVo to score efficient 20+ points per game. That will be the biggest question mark, whether he can be that second scorer in the playoffs just by shooting threes and cutting to the basket.

We will have our work cut out with their playmakers. It's basically four (Embiid, Maxey, Harris and Lowry) vs. one (Brunson), so we are at a huge disadvantage there, but if DiVo and Brunson can ball out, I think the rest of our guys can always keep two of their guys in check to win enough games. Not easy with them having their DiVo as maybe their fifth option in Hield, but if we stay healthy, I still like our chances.
#knickstape
bobhait

based on what I saw tonight, the Sixers have far more questions than the Knicks do going into this series. and it all starts with Embiid, who looks severely reduced on both ends now
sky’s the limit
Minkaveli
Likes given: 178

spree#8 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 4:13 am Thibs will get an extension whether we lose in the first-round or not. Sixers with Embiid vs. us without Randle assures that. Sixers are favored to win this series.

I think we will win though - if we can get DiVo to score efficient 20+ points per game. That will be the biggest question mark, whether he can be that second scorer in the playoffs just by shooting threes and cutting to the basket.

We will have our work cut out with their playmakers. It's basically four (Embiid, Maxey, Harris and Lowry) vs. one (Brunson), so we are at a huge disadvantage there, but if DiVo and Brunson can ball out, I think the rest of our guys can always keep two of their guys in check to win enough games. Not easy with them having their DiVo as maybe their fifth option in Hield, but if we stay healthy, I still like our chances.
I wouldn't count Harris as a play maker. The guy is horrible.

I think Precious is going to get some time against Embiid and I think Precious will hold his own against Embiid.

Sixers eeked this one out barely against Miami who didn't have Robinson or Rozier and Butler got hurt.

I feel confident but it will be a 6 game series.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
NYGM
Likes given: 510

The Sixers are not your usual 7th seed.

Let's see how Embiid looks with a couple of days of rest.

We should beat them if Embiid is not 100%, but make no mistake they have some good players that have playoff experience or are on the rise.

Interesting series.

Let's goooooooo
spree#8

Minkaveli wrote: April 18th, 2024, 9:18 am I wouldn't count Harris as a play maker. The guy is horrible.

I think Precious is going to get some time against Embiid and I think Precious will hold his own against Embiid.

Sixers eeked this one out barely against Miami who didn't have Robinson or Rozier and Butler got hurt.

I feel confident but it will be a 6 game series.
Agreed with the six games.

But make no mistake: Harris is very good at creating shots and has a nice midrange game.
#knickstape
n8 the gr8
Likes given: 167

Even if we lose I won't second-guess the decision. If we look bad I'll second guess the team for what I see on the court. But I'm fine leaving stuff like throwing games at the end of the year to the Cavs, that's more their style.

76ers should be an interesting matchup. Hartenstein and Robinson are as good a center duo as there is defensively. I just wish they were both healthier because neither are where they were pre-injury. I imagine OG will mostly guard Maxey, and let Hart guard weaker player but really be a free safety. It'll be interesting to see though, Hart on Maxey and OG on Oubre makes sense too.

I'm looking forward to it.
These users liked n8 the gr8’s post:
spree#8 (April 18th, 2024, 2:56 pm)
"dam,we got a crier"
~tao

"Throw Payton out and get it over with. I'm getting hungry."
~Clyde
Naan
Likes given: 0

spree#8 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 4:13 am Thibs will get an extension whether we lose in the first-round or not. Sixers with Embiid vs. us without Randle assures that. Sixers are favored to win this series.

We need 20 from someone not named Brunson, whether DDV, OG or wildcard pick. It would be good to press them and create quick baskets, like Butler was doing in the first half yesterday. Embiid was barely mobile and won't be able to keep up.
n8 the gr8 wrote: April 18th, 2024, 2:55 pm Even if we lose I won't second-guess the decision. If we look bad I'll second guess the team for what I see on the court. But I'm fine leaving stuff like throwing games at the end of the year to the Cavs, that's more their style.

76ers should be an interesting matchup. Hartenstein and Robinson are as good a center duo as there is defensively. I just wish they were both healthier because neither are where they were pre-injury. I imagine OG will mostly guard Maxey, and let Hart guard weaker player but really be a free safety. It'll be interesting to see though, Hart on Maxey and OG on Oubre makes sense too.

I'm looking forward to it.
Agreed with OG guarding Maxey, then Deuce taking over if OG sits. Hart in the free roaming role can be a huge catalyst as well if he doesn't turn it over. Not worried about Batum having another best game of the season.
DreOfficial
Likes given: 7

I'm afraid I have to disagree with extending Thibs if he gets bounced in the first round. It's understandable to anticipate an extension for Thibs, given the team's progress under his leadership, but outcomes in the playoffs can certainly influence decisions. I would wait until next offseason and pressure him to reach the Eastern Conference finals. I would only extend Thibs if he can make the Eastern Conference finals.
spree#8

DreOfficial wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:43 pm I'm afraid I have to disagree with extending Thibs if he gets bounced in the first round. It's understandable to anticipate an extension for Thibs, given the team's progress under his leadership, but outcomes in the playoffs can certainly influence decisions. I would wait until next offseason and pressure him to reach the Eastern Conference finals. I would only extend Thibs if he can make the Eastern Conference finals.
I expect a two or three year extension in the summer. They won't let him go into next season as a lame duck. Rarely happens. If we don't progress further in the next few years while he still has years left on his contract, don't worry: Dolan will eat that money if he thinks we need a change. But right now there is no reason for a change. Team is progressing and the players love playing for him.
#knickstape
NYGM
Likes given: 510

If we are really in on JB as our leader. Extending Thibs is a no-brainer.

All our core guys love the man and play hard for him, this core is taking form and I expect a 3-year window to get to the finals.

JB, DDV, Ju, IHart, JHart, Deuce, Mitch.. All those guys are ready to play for him. Not sure about OG, Precious and Bogie yet but only OG is a core piece from the trio.

Nothing to say about the change of culture and the direction of the franchise under him.

There is no reason to let him coach on his last season without an extension.

As Spree said, it doesn't have to be a 5-year extension giving him a 3-year deal seems fair to me.
Last edited by NYGM on April 19th, 2024, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.