Final Preseason Game: Nets @ MSG Friday Oct 12 7:30PM ET

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Final Preseason Game: Nets @ MSG Friday Oct 12 7:30PM ET

Postby nazrmohamed » October 12, 2018, 10:40 pm

NYGM wrote:Any conclusions regarding to the roster?

I can't say it's a conclusion but I'd have liked to see what it looks like with Vonley playing alongside Robinson in the frontcourt in a more traditional lineup. Love all this shot jacking but how bout some paint domination. We're trying to match everyone's fast pace and getting keillor on the boards. Its like one attempt on every trip. Its nice to have shooters but Fiz even said, the 3pt line hasn't been our friend. Sometimes the answer isn't more guards, its more screens for our guards and second attempts after shots
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby cragganmor » October 12, 2018, 10:47 pm

Even with Enes, we often get outrebounded. Without him, we get slaughtered, give up too many 2nd opportunities.
cragganmor

Postby Gimme_datt » October 12, 2018, 11:36 pm

Frank Ntilikina played 28:37 tonight for the Knicks as a nominal SF (and even a few minutes as the PF-type) as they played a bunch of small lineups. "I think you can see how I'm using him now," Fizdale said. "You try to use all of his gifts."https://theathletic.com/583257/2018/10/11/is-frank-ntilikina-the-knicks-point-guard-of-the-future-their-current-plan-could-put-that-at-stake/ …
Gimme_datt

Postby maxinquaye11 » October 13, 2018, 2:04 am

That time when frank played with another pg (burke and baker) looked really good. Im happy for Kornet finally shooting threes. Im a fan of his eversince. We need three pointers galore in today's nba hence burke thj and frank as a suggested line up.

I am loving mudiay's full court passes. Im ok with mudiay overtaking burke as long he plays with ntili on the floor. Mudiay is in and Baker is outside the 3-pg rotation.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
maxinquaye11

Postby thewatcher » October 13, 2018, 6:56 am

Frank played GREAT at the 3...lets start him at the 1!!!!!SMH< LOLOLOL :hammer:

I love FortKnox, BUT he's played like total crap, so lets reward him with a start on wednesday!!! :clumsy: NO!!! :angry: practice what you preach Fiz, don't favor your shiny rookie till he earns it!!

The playing time will be dispersed, no-one over 28 minutes (fiz's words), so starting doesn't matter for our teenager, play well and finsh the game first !!

Burke should start, even though I think it's still up for grabs, Fiz said, it's a long evaluation process with a wide dispersal of minutes, we aren't the Warriors or the Rocksts.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby thewatcher » October 13, 2018, 7:11 am

The 4th quarter comeback was so much fun surprisingly, the crowd never left the building, they went nuts with chants of defense in the 4th quarter of an exhibition game down 18 in the 4th?? I love the Garden!! the sixth man, the excitement made me flip back onto the PLAYOIFFS!! hard to cut the guys who led it, Dotson and Kornet..
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby maxinquaye11 » October 13, 2018, 7:41 am

thewatcher wrote:Frank played GREAT at the 3...lets start him at the 1!!!!!SMH< LOLOLOL :hammer:

I love FortKnox, BUT he's played like total crap, so lets reward him with a start on wednesday!!! :clumsy: NO!!! :angry: practice what you preach Fiz, don't favor your shiny rookie till he earns it!!

The playing time will be dispersed, no-one over 28 minutes (fiz's words), so starting doesn't matter for our teenager, play well and finsh the game first !!

Burke should start, even though I think it's still up for grabs, Fiz said, it's a long evaluation process with a wide dispersal of minutes, we aren't the Warriors or the Rocksts.

My new main man!
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
maxinquaye11

Postby nazrmohamed » October 13, 2018, 8:01 am

My view will always be that if you were bad enough to draft in the lottery, and its your own pick not traded for, then you should start that drafted player because if the veterans on the team were so good they wouldn't have put you in position to draft that rookie.

Not to mention he literally is the only player on the roster who has the distinction of being a SF. And dont give me that positionless basketball. Great teams with so much talent they don't know what to do with it can play positionless basketball. Hes a top tier prospect at SF, we came into the season with a job opening at SF. This shouldn't get more complicated than that.

Besides even with this recent struggle its obvious he will be the best player not named KP on this roster, until a Blue Devil is drafted. Like Fizdale said he's gotta go through this.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby thewatcher » October 13, 2018, 8:16 am

Without a doubt Knox will be starting before the New Year, but if Fiz starts him Wednesday, or before he has a couple of good games, he's a pussy, and he's pussy-whipped too, he will lose the team, and I'll be done with the hypocrite; Knox will know he's not accountable and will become a diva. :dikembe: :dikembe:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby shakespeare » October 13, 2018, 8:35 am

thewatcher wrote: Knox will know he's not accountable and will become a diva.

AGREED.

Knox might be the best thing to happen to this franchise since Kristaps Porzingis.

But he’s gonna have to prove it via his actions—action speaks louder than words.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 13, 2018, 8:36 am

nazrmohamed wrote:until a Blue Devil is drafted.

I see what you did there.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 13, 2018, 8:38 am

Koopa Troopa wrote:He’s gotta work hard, that's on him.

AGREED.

re: Kevin Knox
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » October 13, 2018, 9:26 am

the only ppl that earned their spots in the starting 5 is Kanter and Thomas.

while Knox hasnt played well...the only other 3 also isnt playing "well" in Mario.

this is a bad team fellas. we know this. stop denying it.

you only bench a lottery pick if the replacement leads you to the playoffs

but if Mario "gets it" dont be surprised if he becomes our 3 of the future. and Knox is out Tim Thomas/Anthony Randolph type bench guy for us.

things can go either way. And I'm good with that but it wont happen overnight. it needs to be earned
Don Che

Postby Don Che » October 13, 2018, 9:36 am

interesting Fiz mentioning our lack of communication .....something me and someone else discussed before the game
Don Che

Postby taowave » October 13, 2018, 10:22 am

Watcher,we are absolute garbage...
Our PG crew is a complete letdown.No one has earned the nod
Lance Thomas at the 4???
Frank at the 3..Yeah,behind Knox...

What does that tell you???

Oh,and you can better get used to your pussy coach because Knox is starting over your point guard turned small foward...Tank is on and Fiz is leading it :drunk:

When David Fizdale announced every starting position was up for grabs, apparently the coach didn’t mean Kevin Knox’s.

Fizdale acknowledged that Knox did not earn the starting small forward spot but will be there anyway in the regular-season opener, an indication of how much the franchise is invested in its No. 9 overall draft pick.

“No (he didn’t earn it), he’s been up and down,” Fizdale said. “I think he’s shown the ability to start in the first two (preseason) games with the double-doubles. And the last three, he stunk.

“But for that position and what we’re trying to grow there I think he’s what we want to put in that spot and just let him go through the hell of it and get beat up and have some success, and all of that stuff.”

Knox produced his third straight awful performance in Friday’s 113-107 loss to the Nets, finishing with three points, two turnovers and five fouls in 12 minutes. In the last three preseason games, Knox shot 9-for-34 with 12 turnovers. He has missed 13 of his last 14 3-point attempts.

Still, Fizdale has him penciled in as the starter for opening night Wednesday against the Hawks.

“He’s got to go through it. This year is exactly for this,” Fizdale said. “I said it in the press conference, he’s got to take his lumps. That’s part of the deal. You’re a 19-year-old coming in and you jump into a man’s league and you really got to go through that growth process.

“Struggles are a part of it. I think he’ll handle it fine. He’ll keep getting in the gym, getting the work done. I need to do more to help him. But his focus and his attention is in the right place and I think he’ll pull out of this. But this is expected. Who knows when slumps hit rookies? Sometimes they hit them early, sometimes they hit them right after Christmas. Sometimes it’s both. All of this is good experience for him no matter what.”

Knox agreed with his coach.

“Basically me and Fiz have the same mentality. This is all learning for me,” the rookie said. “Like he says all the time, I’m going to get my butt kicked a lot. It’s part of my rookie year. I’m going to have a lot of ups and downs. It shows how much confidence he has in me keeping me in the starting lineup and the more I get used to playing in the system, playing on this stage – Madison Square Garden, New York – I’ll get better.”

thewatcher wrote:Without a doubt Knox will be starting before the New Year, but if Fiz starts him Wednesday, or before he has a couple of good games, he's a pussy, and he's pussy-whipped too, he will lose the team, and I'll be done with the hypocrite; Knox will know he's not accountable and will become a diva. :dikembe: :dikembe:
taowave

Postby Don Che » October 13, 2018, 1:14 pm

I'm not really sure if fiz is leading the tank....hes just giving Knox a chance as he should.

if Knox loses his spot..1. it should happen during the season and 2. should happen if someone TAKES it.

if not let him suck and see how he feels as he hits the floor.
Don Che

Postby big_j_NY » October 13, 2018, 3:37 pm

I get the whole "Knox didn't earn the starting position" thing AND that he should be held accountable for it.

At the same time, like Don said, there isn't anyone else on the roster that has exactly earned the right to take the starting spot from Knox either.

"Super Mario" has been more "Scared Luigi" during his entire pre-season so far........absolute shit-show, and he's suppose to be the guy with 3 more years of reps. over Knox at their positions BUT Herzonja looks like a certified G-League bench player. And Lance has already earned the starting 4 spot in Fiz's eyes (since our true starting 4 is injured indefinitely), so we can rule him out from Knox's spot on the depth chart.

So basically, Knox essentially did earn the starting spot by default b/c anyone else that can replace him........hasn't earned the right to replace him yet either b/c they're injured (Courtney Lee can play backup SF as well at times) OR they flat out SUCKED MORE than Knox in the pre-season ("Super Luigi" Herzonja).
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby thewatcher » October 13, 2018, 3:58 pm

Bigj Frankie hasn't sucked, but I'm glad Fiz addressed it. Looks like one guys going to get special treatment. Fiz meant everyone else was competing for a starting spot except the teenager. Looks like a tank year after all. fiz learned his lesson with gasol, start sucking the star off right out of the gate :o
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

Postby NYGM » October 13, 2018, 4:43 pm

Frank at SF is stupid right now..

He can play some occasionally with certain matchups but he's a guard..

That narrative of Frank needing to play off the ball to be effective is overrated, his best games so far (nearly triple doubles included) are as a PG..

If you need to play him off the ball due his versatility and to give court time to other less versatile players so be it..

Some people is so focused on the "scoring PG" that anything else is not good..
NYGM

Postby NYGM » October 13, 2018, 4:47 pm

thewatcher wrote:Frank played GREAT at the 3...lets start him at the 1!!!!!SMH< LOLOLOL :hammer:

Frank played great period..

Has played better overall than Burke and Mudiay period..

Mudiay and Burke are not versatile enough to help the team on other areas like Frank..

You play who's playing better wich is Frank..
NYGM

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks