Bigger role for Trier smaller role for Knox

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Bigger role for Trier smaller role for Knox

Postby gradyandrew » October 10, 2018, 11:20 am

And I'll be the first to admit that before the first preseason game I had 0 confidence in this team, coach, and front office but am now cautiously optimistic. Nba predictions are equal parts guess work, luck, and BS. I think Frank is more Kawhi than Magic, but if he turns out to be Dante Exum 2.0... so be it.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby Don Che » October 10, 2018, 11:51 am

Nazr...when you are in the top 5..you take the best player on the board. Dont come at me like I'm judging one bad game from Knox when I aired Knox's game to most ppl here before he was on our radar.

For example if your on the clock and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca8QK-u2rnw&t=389s he's there. Based on where I stand now with NL...I'm taking him. But to be fair its rare I fully commit to a prospect till I see them play college ball but at this stage I'm much higher on Nassir before UNC than I was on Knox in KU.

I'm just making it clear....everyone is on notice this year...i dont mind the losing but if we suck and we have a chance to upgrade talent wise...i'd take a player at ANY position...if its a PG..cool..if its a SF...cool..no one is safe next draft.
Don Che

Postby H20Knick » October 10, 2018, 12:35 pm

first Fiz says that he doesn't like playing Lee or THJ at the 3 spot because he wants more size there

then Fiz says he wants to throw Knox to the wolves by making him defend the Durants/Kawhis/Lebrons in the league

then NYKFP makes a thread about a 6'5 undrafted shooting guard taking Knox's role at SF.

geesh guys. lol
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
H20Knick

Postby Don Che » October 10, 2018, 12:42 pm

H20Knick wrote:first Fiz says that he doesn't like playing Lee or THJ at the 3 spot because he wants more size there

then Fiz says he wants to throw Knox to the wolves by making him defend the Durants/Kawhis/Lebrons in the league

then NYKFP makes a thread about a 6'5 undrafted shooting guard taking Knox's role at SF.

geesh guys. lol

lmaooo
Don Che

Postby shakespeare » October 10, 2018, 1:00 pm

NYGM wrote:
Why not?

Burke and THJ are the two best backcourt players on the team. Both are capable of scoring between 16-20 ppg on a consistent basis.

I understand the need for Ntili to develop into our starting point guard, but if there’s a point guard ahead of him in terms of NBA development then I can’t see how Burke isn’t our starting point guard.

And the same goes for THJ. There isn’t a better shooting guard on this roster.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 10, 2018, 1:05 pm

NYGM wrote:
Neither of them are good defenders.

This is true, but if you’re using defense to judge who should start and who shouldn’t start then we wouldn’t have a starting lineup, at all.

Ntili isn’t a good scorer, so the question then becomes is his defense better than Burke and THJ’s scoring and the answer is a resounding “no.”
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 1:51 pm

shakespeare wrote:
Burke and THJ are the two best backcourt players on the team. Both are capable of scoring between 16-20 ppg on a consistent basis.

I understand the need for Ntili to develop into our starting point guard, but if there’s a point guard ahead of him in terms of NBA development then I can’t see how Burke isn’t our starting point guard.

And the same goes for THJ. There isn’t a better shooting guard on this roster.

I can..

He's not shown anything of what you are saying in this preseason.. It's his job to lose since he had a good run last season.. So far he's doing nothing to cement his position..

I like Trey, but not as our starting PG..

There is no future playing him there and there is no justification if he doesn't play like he that 16-20pt scoring guard your saying..

My mindset is bout the future and Frank looks like the player with more upside, I want to see if the work he put on will play off..
NYGM

Postby spree#8 » October 10, 2018, 1:58 pm

H20Knick wrote:first Fiz says that he doesn't like playing Lee or THJ at the 3 spot because he wants more size there

geesh guys. lol

:LOL: :clap:
#knickstape
spree#8

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 1:59 pm

shakespeare wrote:
This is true, but if you’re using defense to judge who should start and who shouldn’t start then we wouldn’t have a starting lineup, at all.

Ntili isn’t a good scorer, so the question then becomes is his defense better than Burke and THJ’s scoring and the answer is a resounding “no.”

That's your opinion.. I like balance..

The culture change is supposed to be about playing defense first and playing together as a team..
NYGM

Postby shakespeare » October 10, 2018, 4:17 pm

You would’ve loved the 90’s Knicks.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 10, 2018, 4:19 pm

Frank is slow and can’t shoot.

There may be two Frank Ntilikinas.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 7:32 pm

And the same goes for THJ. There isn’t a better shooting guard on this roster

That's fair. Part of Frank's development is overtaking Burke. I just don't want him to go from future starting PF prospect to playing every position except PG. Just make him the PG in wait until he proves himself. ( a couple minutes here or there at other positions I won't trip tho)
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 7:35 pm

shakespeare wrote:You would’ve loved the 90’s Knicks.

I loved those teams man..

Who didn't love the 99' run?
NYGM

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 7:38 pm

I missed that one. Hold up. On this current iteration of our team maybe not. There's no true go to player on this team so yeah, its probably better to get a little from everyone (offense that is) but the moment you got an allstar like KP in the lineup that changes. Then as Knox matures even more so.

Basicly Frank becomes the best option the moment you got stars to feature and Burke basically becomes just some guy who can give you some points off the bench. The Thabo Sefolosha effect
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 7:41 pm

shakespeare wrote:Frank is slow and can’t shoot.

There may be two Frank Ntilikinas.

That's your problem shakes, you can't see improvement even if hits you in the face..

You see slower and i see bigger and still growing..

Of our 3 PG's Frank is the one with the best shooting % so far..

Can he improve his shooting at 20 years old?

:hmm:
NYGM

Postby Koopa Troopa » October 10, 2018, 7:47 pm

Frank can definitely improve his shooting. The other issues though.....not really. He can only be a PG if the primary playmaker is not him. Like Chalmers with Bron, or all of Phil Jacksons PG's in LA and CHI.

Knicks need a guard or a wing that can be a true playmaker. So Durant or Kyrie, Im good with either.
Koopa Troopa

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 8:01 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:Frank can definitely improve his shooting. The other issues though.....not really. He can only be a PG if the primary playmaker is not him. Like Chalmers with Bron, or all of Phil Jacksons PG's in LA and CHI.

Knicks need a guard or a wing that can be a true playmaker. So Durant or Kyrie, Im good with either.

:thumbsup:

We're picking in the top 5 most likely. Choose wisely.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » October 10, 2018, 8:36 pm

Cam Reddish's defense scares me.

I'm hype for NCAA tho
Don Che

Postby NYGM » October 11, 2018, 8:39 am

Koopa Troopa wrote:Frank can definitely improve his shooting. The other issues though.....not really. He can only be a PG if the primary playmaker is not him. Like Chalmers with Bron, or all of Phil Jacksons PG's in LA and CHI.

C'mon Koppa.. Players do improve and Frank can do it in so many ways.. He can improve his shooting, court vision, handle, body in general..

He may outgrow the PG position and should be able to play next to other playmaker like you said, matter of fact any player can play alongside Kyrie or KD I guess..

What I'm talking about here is you don't need to be Curry, Inving, Lillard, etc to be a good PG, you can be different! Not everyone needs to fit that mold, WTF..
NYGM

Postby Koopa Troopa » October 12, 2018, 3:27 am

Well Frank has to show something if you wanna make him the PG. I wouldnt build my team around Frank. Hes not the franchise player and the Knicks clearly are not set at PG.

What value does he have at PG? What has he shown...even in a flash. Just one play in his career, name one. He hasnt done anything. Im all for Frank defending elite guards, but he cannot be the primary ballhandler on a wining team. Honestly Knox would be a better PG than Frank, thats how bad Frank is at every aspect of being a PG. When has Frank pulled down a board and started a fast break? Knox has done that every game so far.

Frank just exists on the Knicks. He doesnt do anything. No dribble, no pass, no rebound, no blocks, no nothing. He is just there.

Frank has size they say. Well how is he using it? Im not seeing him use it. Is he developing a post game? Is he studying any Gary Payton or Jason Kidd footage? Nope, all we saw in the offseason was him posting some clips of him failing at dribbling drills that 10 year old kids can do effortlessly. Seriously, no matter how many dribbling drills he does, he wont ever have a better handle than Trier. Hes a kid sure, but he aint a KID KID. Nobody in the history of bball has learned how to be an elite ballhandler solely from the NBA, only how to refine the skill they already had from when they were younger and add upon that repertoire. Iverson was crossing MJ in his rookie year, not himself. So just stop it. If people wanna talk about Frank's size as an asset then he should stop that "im gonna learn to dribble" nonsense and watch some J Kidd and Payton. If you wanna use your size then use it. POST UP. Call up Kobe. Call up anyone. Andre Miller.....Hell call Clarence Weatherspoon. :drunk:

You said it too, not every PG has to be in the same mold as Irving or Curry. So what is he doing to differentiate himself? I think a post up game would do wonders for his career. Too bad hes not getting that advice from anyone.

The job was his for the taking. All the PG's on this team are trash. All he did in the preseason while the other guards were fighting was stand around and exist. No way you reward that.

Even if Frank can't attack the basket at all, it would be nice if he could dribble the ball up the court and run a play at least. He has to step up. Its not my fault I'm criticizing him, its on him. Do something with the time you are given.

Ill also say that while game 1 was nice, Fiz has been letting them play way too freely. I think hes trying to let guys audition for the PG role and thats why these guys are out there firing, but I dont wanna see that garbage in the regular season. Knox Kanter and THJ deserve the shots, not Trier and Burke. Like I said its Franks for the taking since the other two guys are allergic to passing, but Frank's allergic to the spotlight. Hes gotta wake up or before he knows it his contract will be up and nobody will be calling.
Koopa Troopa

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks