Bigger role for Trier smaller role for Knox

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Bigger role for Trier smaller role for Knox

Postby NYGM » October 9, 2018, 9:39 pm

shakespeare wrote:I don’t see how Burke and THJ aren’t the starting backcourt.

Why not?

Neither of them are good defenders and if you add Kanter (who's benn playing better defense) you got a hughe disadvantage starting games..

Burke's preseason hasn't been stellar at all, he's not earned the job IMO, so it's still open..

Right now is between Trey and Frank, but if Frank can give us an efficient 10/4/4 he should start and keep developing since he's our own pick..
NYGM

Postby Starbury3 » October 9, 2018, 10:14 pm

We always harped last year about having a pressing need for an offensive spark when KP was on the bench/injured and THJ was cold. No one else could really create, penetrate, and draw defenders. As a result, we became especially critical of Frank for not being able to take advantage of this.

Trier is our ticket to this offensive spark while also being the 6'5" athletic frame that Trey Burke lacks. He's a VERY intriguing project.

What a draft we had folks.
Starbury3

Postby gradyandrew » October 10, 2018, 12:49 am

@ nygm Frank is just not good enough at dribbling. Him as the starting PG is a recipe gor disaster.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby BRIGGS » October 10, 2018, 1:03 am

Knox is so darn young — letting him start with 20-25 minutes off the bench w a goal of him getting the starting 3-4 by game 40 makes sense. He has capability right now to have big games but I think he will be quite inconsistent. Take the pressure off him.

His teammate from Kentucky Dialo has looked really good with pic.

Trier might be a top 5 steal if this drafting process and especially as an udfa. It’s easy to say start Burke and Thj but I’d rather start Frank and Trier—moving Thj to 3 and accepting L Thomas as the starter for the first 20-30 games. Trier could be this years Kyle Kuzma. He certainly has a chance.

Also While I agree that Frank n has limitations as a pg— He’s played well enough in pre season to get the nod.This team will need several things going 4 ward but giving Trier and Frank— both at 6-5 the starting gig might be the way to go. If Knox looked better I’d shove him in there but that hasn’t developed yet.
BRIGGS

Postby gradyandrew » October 10, 2018, 1:12 am

Only game we lost was the one Frank stsrted. Could not get the Knicks into a rhythm on offense.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 2:22 am

Its was also the game that Kanter didnt start. We couldn't rebound the ball.

It was also the game where the opposing team played its starters for extended minutes. You really think we're designed to win games man c'mon. This season is about developing guys in what will be many losing efforts.

That's a shitty argument
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » October 10, 2018, 3:01 am

we should only care about developing and competing

seems like the moves you guys are talking is about wins.

I'd rather get 25 wins giving Frank and Knox the keys

than 32 wins while giving Burke and Tim the keys
Don Che

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 5:51 am

Next they'll be talking about bringing Jarett Jack back so we can fight for a championship, c'mon. You could always start Frank and Knox and if you don't like thier behaviors bench them. But the future of this team isn't Trey Burke folks and Alonzo Trier.

Shut, if its gonna come to that then you might as well just look for Irving situations right now, give up draft picks and everything. You gotta be willing to watch players you're developing lose games and fight through struggles.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 6:04 am

Well let me circle back and take Trier out of that argument. At least he's a decent draftee but you guys gotta be able to spot where players are in thier production/ potential curve. The kid went undrafted for a reason. I think he's proving some doubters wrong but for the most part what you see is what you'll get, and you might not even get that once the regular season starts.

He's not really athletic, he's got short arms. But I'm proud that hes smart enough to know what he can and can't do and be productive in the moment. I just think he has limitations to do much more. Working on his 3 point shot is probably the biggest improvement he can make.

I've watched alot of players folks. How many am I wrong about around here. Go check my record. I think, and I'm speaking positively here, that a great NBA career for him is a guy down the line that you can bring in off the bench for some instant offense. Sorta like John Starks who in hindsight was never starter material but ya know, we love watching underdogs in NY. But hey, that's what I feel about Burke. Maybe he overtakes him.

I'm trying to focus my attention to guys with the highest potential. And guess what? When we draft Barret next summer I'll say the same argument about playing him rather than watch THJ chuck up 15 shots.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » October 10, 2018, 9:36 am

I'm just liking the questions we are asking about htis roster.

Should our 22 y/o undrafted SG play over our 25 y/o PG since we are trying to make sure your 19 y/o PG is used well.
Don Che

Postby Don Che » October 10, 2018, 9:45 am

my only concern tho....is Knox the 2nd coming of Tim Thomas

if so...we are screwed...kinda only because this draft coming up is FILLED with wing players.

feel like this always happens the one year we need a PG...the draft has wings..the year we need wings...theres a million PG's

and the year that it falls in line...Donnie takes Jordan Hill lol

i'll say it like this....if we are a top 5 pick and a SF is on the board and Knox doesnt show that he's a rebounder/defender/passer this year...I'm taking that SF.

thats why i want to see Knox/Frank play a ton because NOW is the time to see how they evolve. They wont be finished products but I do want to see them better at the end of the year than the beginning..only way to do that is by letting them play it out
Don Che

Postby cragganmor » October 10, 2018, 9:54 am

Start Frank and Kev to open the season, backed up by Trey and Zo. Baker and Dot are the 3rd stringers. There's a balance to be determined between player development vs establishing the winning culture. Let Fiz make that choice.

JMO, but the more controversial topic is what to do with Courtney Lee? He's not in the timeline, eats significant cap space and didn't sign up for losing.
cragganmor

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 10:01 am

gradyandrew wrote:@ nygm Frank is just not good enough at dribbling. Him as the starting PG is a recipe gor disaster.

He's not good enough YET! Like I said in other thread, James Harden didn't have those handles when he came to the league..

Let's see if his handles are improved or not.. He needs more of a run as a PG to know for sure..

Again he's not Curry, Inving or Lillard but he can play.. Just a different style with that frame and long arms.. Just like Magic at 6'9 was different from Isaiah at 6'0.

I don't want Frank to be another Burke or Trier dribbling 20 seconds just to launch a contested shot, do you feel me? Move the dam ball, you got other guys who can play too..

He seems to be getting to the rim enough lately, he's not flashy at all, but he's getting to the paint more and more..

You won't appreciate his improvements if he just play 5min per game at PG, meanwhile we don't have a better long term layer at his position right now..

As I said before, he can end up being a guard version of Nicolas Batum with superior defense..

The kid is still growing and working in his body, it's a process.. Let's see what he can do with extended minutes..
NYGM

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 10:06 am

Don Che wrote:my only concern tho....is Knox the 2nd coming of Tim Thomas

if so...we are screwed...kinda only because this draft coming up is FILLED with wing players.

feel like this always happens the one year we need a PG...the draft has wings..the year we need wings...theres a million PG's

i'll say it like this....if we are a top 5 pick and a SF is on the board and Knox doesnt show that he's a rebounder/defender/passer this year...I'm taking that SF.

thats why i want to see Knox/Frank play a ton because NOW is the time to see how they evolve. They wont be finished products but I do want to see them better at the end of the year than the beginning..only way to do that is by letting them play it out

I really hope you aren't making decisions based on one game that a rookie or sophomore played poorly in. Not to mention you knew Knox wasn't a "defender" when we drafted him. If he plays team defense and becomes the scorer he projected to be then you -build around that.

As for grabbing a SF, do it because it needs to be done. Not because of Knox. It just so happens that this draft is filled with SFs who are also SGs. Barret/ Reddish/ Grimes and Langford are all SG/SFs so I think you'll probably end up drafting one of the four regardless. And all are go to players. So now folks you start to see my vision

Frank/Reddish/Knox/KP/Mitchell

Long, athletic players who can spread the floor and switch. You could put any of the names I mentioned at SG. I just like Redfish for now. Also, don't forget Nassir little. Yall so thirsty for Jimmie Butler.....meet his reincarnation. Can play either wing defensively and is developing guys offense rather nicely.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 10:10 am

gradyandrew wrote:Only game we lost was the one Frank stsrted. Could not get the Knicks into a rhythm on offense.

Neither were Burke or Mudiay so far.. You can't blame him for the loss, he played a good game being agressive and scoring efficiently (what most people critics him for)..

What I do know is our defense being levels above with Frank as a PG..

What I don't understand is what's the deal putting guys like Burke and Mudiay over Frank at this point? I don't get it..

So far Frank has been the most consistent of the 3 in preseason, you need to earn that spot..

If Fiz gives him the chance on Friday and he keeps paying good and efficient you could say he EARNED the job period!!.

What's wrong with that?
Last edited by NYGM on October 10, 2018, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYGM

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 10:17 am

Don Che wrote:we should only care about developing and competing

seems like the moves you guys are talking is about wins.

I'd rather get 25 wins giving Frank and Knox the keys

than 32 wins while giving Burke and Tim the keys

Yes that's what I'm talking about .

And you can argue that Frank is earning the spot right now.. Is not like Burke or Mudiay are outplaying him badly even though he's seen less minutes at PG...
NYGM

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 10:22 am

nazrmohamed wrote:Next they'll be talking about bringing Jarett Jack back so we can fight for a championship, c'mon. You could always start Frank and Knox and if you don't like thier behaviors bench them. But the future of this team isn't Trey Burke folks and Alonzo Trier.

Shut, if its gonna come to that then you might as well just look for Irving situations right now, give up draft picks and everything. You gotta be willing to watch players you're developing lose games and fight through struggles.

To add on that you got to be ready to give those players who have 2 way potential enough time to develope..

Frank is already the best defender on the team at 20! WTF!.. is not that enough to invest in develope him offensively?..

Knox seems to be able to avg a double double! Are you ready to give him the PT to accelerate his development?..

What we need is those guys to keep improving each season..
NYGM

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 10:26 am

Don Che wrote:my only concern tho....is Knox the 2nd coming of Tim Thomas

I'm not talking draft yet.. But you can see Knox playing some PF later on his career right?.. If you get another high caliber wing then why not?

In any case you already have those guys locked on their rookie cost controlled deals, so it's great to invest in them right now..
NYGM

Postby gradyandrew » October 10, 2018, 10:58 am

nazrmohamed wrote:
I've watched alot of players folks. How many am I wrong about around here. Go check my record.

Upcoming Draft Most Important for Two Teams
by nazrmohamed » April 14, 2013, 12:05 pm

Bennett looks like the most complete player in the draft in my opinion. If he were 1-2 inches taller he'd probably be the first pick in the draft. Lots of post moves, strong yet explosive, range out to the nba 3. When they said Larry Johnson I was skeptical but after seeing him a bit that comparison seems spot on.

Cmon man, we're fans, not experts. None of us get paid to do this.
gradyandrew

Postby thewatcher » October 10, 2018, 11:03 am

Grady, exactly, , cool, let the chips fall where they may, we're going to go back to SL posts to see who was right and who wasn't. Bottom line, still pre-season,. we'll find the truth soon enough.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks