Bigger role for Trier smaller role for Knox

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Bigger role for Trier smaller role for Knox

Postby BRIGGS » October 9, 2018, 1:25 pm

Two things that I came away with from TC.
First Trier to me has earned serious minutes--even starter minutes. I think move Hardaway to the 3 and Trier at 2 with Frank at 1.

Kanter is the best player on this team for now. I think he was playing very reasonable D but looks like a consistent force on the boards and offense.

I think we should slow play Knox. He does not have a great shot--didnt have one at Kentucky and it will need work I think he can do well off the bench with Trey Burke
BRIGGS

Re: Bigger role for Trier smaller role for Knox

Postby Don Che » October 9, 2018, 2:45 pm

If Trier ends up being the next GOAT.....its Tim who plays less not Knox.
Don Che

Postby taowave » October 9, 2018, 2:46 pm

lol...I see what you are doing :thumbsup:

Don Che wrote:If Trier ends up being the next GOAT.....its Tim who plays less not Knox.
taowave

Postby Don Che » October 9, 2018, 3:13 pm

im fully committed to our lottery picks...even if i wouldnt of drafted them myself. Since they are Knicks..it is what it is.

even though...could you imagine a Donovan Mitchell and Miles combo? smh..ill digress.

some ppl value contracts over draft picks...im the opposite.

if you suck and ur in the lottery...I'm making sure the guys I pick have EVERY chance to be great. I'll get players to hide their weaknesses and let them shine.

thats Frank and Knox....idc who has to sit
Don Che

Postby taowave » October 9, 2018, 3:33 pm

I have to admit,whoever liked Trier pre draft has a good eye...

Kid has skills,and maybe even the "it" factor...

If someone comes calling for Hardaway,I would be good developing Trier

Don Che wrote:im fully committed to our lottery picks...even if i wouldnt of drafted them myself. Since they are Knicks..it is what it is.

even though...could you imagine a Donovan Mitchell and Miles combo? smh..ill digress.

some ppl value contracts over draft picks...im the opposite.

if you suck and ur in the lottery...I'm making sure the guys I pick have EVERY chance to be great. I'll get players to hide their weaknesses and let them shine.

thats Frank and Knox....idc who has to sit
taowave

Postby Don Che » October 9, 2018, 3:48 pm

Trier has done something that upper classman have a higher chance to do in the league early and thats "being who he is" in the NBA rather fast.

when you have 18/19 year olds coming in..they really dont have an identity as a player for the most part they dont know what or why they are getting PT for..they are figuring it out till about 20 or 21. Trier being 22 knows his game and to his credit he's being himself in the NBA which is a great feat.

but lets be real with who he is at the moment...an efficient scorer which is valueable at any level. Which usually are rotation guys on a NBA team...like a Dion Waiters or Jason Terry..fringe starters but def NBA players...and if you ask me if we got that out of a undrafted player we really owe it to our scouting staff for getting such talent in that spot. Waiters was a top 5 pick and Terry was late lottery mid first as a prospect.

but if he wants to be a thoroughbred starter on a playoff team?....his assists and defense will have to go up.

do I see Tim being that guy?...i think we all know this answer.

I was actually hoping on drafting the future 2 guard in Reddish/Barret/Grimes...is Trier more talented than them?...at 18 no but if Trier evolves his game...lord knows.

Trier is like Malcolm Brogdon and Josh Hart....MB is exactly who he always was in Virginia..he just adapted to the NBA game and brought what he always was...plus defender/plus passer and spot shooter. Does MB have the celing/tools in his game to evolve more?..no is that a bad thing? hell no you can't ahve 2 many defenders. Same can be said about Josh Hart. Love both of those guys but just off pure tools and inability to create they can't be more.

Zo was always an efficient scorer....if he wants to be more hes gonna have to learn to pass at a high level because off tools...he'll never be a Victor Oladipo/Donovan Mitchell type guy. Hes gonna have to be a Brogdan/Hart type of impact, only difference is he can create its the other things that the other guys can do is in question and thats why ive always preached the difference btwn an all star and role player is very small, so all in all I'm grateful that hes proven hes a role player and ill be watching his development to see if he can be more....mainly defense and some passing unless his passing legit goes to a level where he's James Harden...and if that happens I'll build Perry's statue in Madison Square Park myself.
Don Che

Postby thewatcher » October 9, 2018, 3:55 pm

Nice analysis. But another thing Trier has is moxy and charisma and the garden crowd develops a symbiotic relationship, not unlike with Nate, only Trier is 6'5". He's an Alpha, works well next to Nilli.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby shakespeare » October 9, 2018, 5:02 pm

I’d rather see Ntilikina receive the majority of minutes at the 3.

3 and D player who’ll pass the ball and hopefully hit the open long ball.

Unless there’s another small forward on the team that might could do as much?
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 9, 2018, 5:04 pm

I don’t see how Burke and THJ aren’t the starting backcourt.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby Don Che » October 9, 2018, 5:29 pm

thewatcher wrote:Nice analysis. But another thing Trier has is moxy and charisma and the garden crowd develops a symbiotic relationship, not unlike with Nate, only Trier is 6'5". He's an Alpha, works well next to Nilli.

i understand moxy/and being an alpha and that is important of an x factor. We have had success with guys that had more of that than actual tools. Oakley/Starks/Mason etc. and thats great. But I want to win it all and to win it all...you need to have both x factor and tools or x factor and skills.

Trier has to go with skills...which is all I'm saying.

I have no desire to have the next John Starks....not rolling out a 6'3 short armed SG against the GOAT no more.

I want an advantage....advantages win more often than not.
Don Che

Postby Koopa Troopa » October 9, 2018, 5:33 pm

Bigger role? Trier ends up with more FGA's than any other player on the team every night. He already is 'the guy' on this team, at least he thinks so. How much bigger of a role can he have?

If he doesnt learn how to play team ball and how to defer to better players I dont want him here.
Koopa Troopa

Postby NYGM » October 9, 2018, 6:04 pm

I think we should be cautious with Iso-Zo..

What he "does" is what elite scores are payed to do..

I'm not sure he's elite since he hasn't played one minute of a regular season NBA game..

If your looking for the next Lou Williams or better then we need to wait and see..

So far he's in the perfect situation, Fiz is giving him the chance.. I like his handles a lot for the size, but he needs to do other things than just ISO because that would be easy to shot down if your not elite like I said before..

Let's see if there is more in his game
NYGM

Postby NYGM » October 9, 2018, 6:06 pm

Koopa Troopa wrote:
If he doesnt learn how to play team ball and how to defer to better players I dont want him here.

Chicks dig the "alpha" stuff..

But I don't want another Gilbert Arenas..
NYGM

Postby gradyandrew » October 9, 2018, 7:39 pm

great thread, nykfanpage is also stepping up its games.

@Don Che, really liked your 19 vs. 22 point. Knox has been grabbing rebounds, pushing the ball in transition and getting to the hoop, we cant throw him under the bus after one bad game.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby nazrmohamed » October 9, 2018, 8:01 pm

You know most of NBA fandom already laughs at Knicks fans as is. This thread has to be a joke right?

Trier has earned himself a job. Let's just leave it at that. The only players who need to worry about losing minutes to Trier are guys like Dustin and Baker and even Dotson is good for a break out night one every 3 games.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Don Che » October 9, 2018, 8:52 pm

Knox will have days he looks like a teenager...lets just enjoy the ride
Don Che

Postby gradyandrew » October 9, 2018, 9:15 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:You know most of NBA fandom already laughs at Knicks fans as is. This thread has to be a joke right?

Trier has earned himself a job. Let's just leave it at that. The only players who need to worry about losing minutes to Trier are guys like Dustin and Baker and even Dotson is good for a break out night one every 3 games.

Dude, you lived through Linsanity! Anything is possible in the Knickiverse.
This is a FAN page that relies on its members for content and commentary. So don't be a lurker, be a POSTER, even if it's just a picture of a fat guy eating a hamburger.
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » October 9, 2018, 9:19 pm

shakespeare wrote:I don’t see how Burke and THJ aren’t the starting backcourt.

This, 100%. Though I'm.getting a little worried with Frank and Mudiay starting the last two games.

Trey definitely seems a different player starting vs coming off the bench, not sure if its personal or the personnel. Starting, he haa confidence with his shot, pushing and passing. Off the bench... (crickets).
gradyandrew

Postby gradyandrew » October 9, 2018, 9:24 pm

NYGM wrote:I think we should be cautious with Iso-Zo..

What he "does" is what elite scores are payed to do..

I'm not sure he's elite since he hasn't played one minute of a regular season NBA game..

If your looking for the next Lou Williams or better then we need to wait and see..

So far he's in the perfect situation, Fiz is giving him the chance.. I like his handles a lot for the size, but he needs to do other things than just ISO because that would be easy to shot down if your not elite like I said before..

Let's see if there is more in his game

He's had some pretty good feeds off the drive to whoever has been open under the rim. I'm not sure if we've seen any evidence that he can pass it to cutters from the top, or kick out to shooters, but at least he's aware enough that if he blows past his man and the rim protector steps up to meet him, theres a guy open for an easy basket. Could be the beginnings of a fearsome twosome with Mitch!??! :drool:
gradyandrew

Postby NYGM » October 9, 2018, 9:31 pm

As i've been saying from the start of preseason I like Trier's handles, he can go places for sure..

Right now he needs to assert himself on defense and show he can be more of a team player..

Definitely looking forward to see him improve.. A couple of lbs of muscle will be great since he's 6'5 and looks athletic enough to play..
NYGM

Next

Return to New York Knicks