Preseason Game 3: Pelicans @ MSG Friday 10/5 - 7:30 PM ET

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Championship 16/17
Likes given: 0

Over the last 3 games, Frank has solidified my belief that he will be a very good player, I just love his demeanor as a team player and his work ethic, which he has improved in all facets of his game during the off season. I predicted by Frank's third year, he should be our STARTING POINT GUARD and should really play like a star when he finally realizes who he is. He also looks taller, the kid is still growing in his body. Im glad Kyrie Irving decided to stay in Boston.

Tim Hardaway still doesn't play within the offense sometimes, he isn't a star but a role player. Having a star mind set will effect this team if your not a star, but he can have this season. By next season, it's imperative to find a SG that will compliment Frank and the overall team, and I suggest somebody like Reddish, someone who can move the ball and play defense. This will allow Tim to come off the bench as the backup SG, which I'm fine with, and Mario Hezonja as your back up 3.

I don't like Burke and Alonzo Trier, too one sided for me. Mudiay is the best all around player of the 3, but hasn't put it together, give him more time. I like Bakers hustle and his 3rd string role, thats where he belongs, also Dodson is good in that 3rd string role. But for the future backup PG, my money is on Mudiay.

Future starters for next season:

PG: Frank/Mudiay/Baker
SG: next draft/Tim Hardaway/Dotson
SF: Knox/Mario Hezonja
PF: KP
C: Anthony Davis/Mitchell Robinson

Yeah, that's who I focus, don't spend your money resigning Burke, Kanter, Thomas, Courtney Lee, Noah Vonleh. Save it for Anthony Davis, if you dont get him just draft a center in 2020 and let him battle with Mitchell for the starting spot. Keep going young, Kevin Durant ain't signing here.
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 7

Don Che wrote:Figuring out the back court is really the biggest thing for me. I'm ok with Knox/Lance/Kanter for a while with Mitch/Vonleh/Mario backing them up.

but I really do think the starting 5 needs to have someone that defends on the perimeter and focuses on getting others involved.

Burke/Tim/Knox/Kanter all mainly finish compared to their positions.

Burke has shown he can pass though so I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

and as for back ups...Trier has shown hes a player there...Baker has shown good defense/high IQ/ once he hits open 3's which he has hit so far this season I'm good with those 2 and Tim being alongside them.

and this really isnt a hate on Tim...I just think Tim will get better shots off the bench ...and having Frank and Lance in the starting 5 it will allow Burke/Knox to really impose themselves.

Frank looks better on defense than last year which is scary.....if he's not our PG of the future..thats fine but I still want him to be All Defense...and the only way to do that is by starting him and let him harrass everyone like he always does. Having a 19/20 year old all defensive guard has value no issues with Frank being our Avery Bradley with some PG skills...Especially when you have Mitch looming to make an impact on that side of the floor.
:clap:

I agree with everything including what you said about baker.

We should continue tapping and learning from knicks history and let the better, taller, younger and more athletic version of Trey Felton and Frank Prigioni begin! Max 2pg is coming just as it did in the middle of the 53 win season. Either people embrace it now or simply root for THJ to do better.

And about Frank playing better, its because coach is smart enough to put him at off guard and off the bench for now so as not to add pressure. The 19 yr old kiddo is playing more at ease because of this. Instead of questioning coach Fiz and labeling others as chuckers with nothing else to contribute, Frank fans should be grateful and thankful.
Last edited by maxinquaye11 on October 6th, 2018, 6:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

Thing about Frank's game is he does nothing really prolific besides defense and even then, while he gets steals at a good rate it's not like its highlight type steals, he just reads things extremely well. Disrupting entry passes and playing extremely smart.

Now while that doesnt sound like a ringing endorsement it really is. It's hard to really appreciate that type of player when hes playing with a bunch of guys who either should be backups or who probably won't blossom until 2020. I think you put KP back on the floor, Knox matures into his role, maybe add an attacking lottery pick next year, maybe sign a prolific free agent. Then all of a sudden you can appreciate Frank as a PG who will disrupt offenses as he literally runs plays for other teams by frustrating PGs and then on offense simply gets guys the ball where they like it. It's not gonna be "hey everybody stand around while I drive and kick it out to you". And I get that's what most offenses are these days and it's what we've now grown accustomed to but our best player is indeed a mid post player. Our budding second best player can hit 3s but moves without the ball a lot looking for great midrange attempts.

Frank is more that classic, top of the key 3pts line, dribble in place until something opens up type of pg. That dont mean hes perfect within that skillset. He needs to become a 3pt threat since he likes to dump it in alot and yes, when he does drive he needs to take it strong to the rack. I'm just saying I dont ever think he'll ever be that ball dominant scoring pg that everybody seems to want around here.

I still think hes a pg though. If you wanna say he ain't ready for primetime (which his defense makes me disagree with but ok) that's fine. You start Burke and groom Frank. But I just refuse to believe there can only be one type of skillset for a pg or they must move to SG or SF ( caveats being we get some superstar at PG....but Burke/Trier/Mudiay ain't it). Of the best PGs in the league Curry takes mainly 3pointers while playing off the ball alot, Westbrook is a tenacious rim attacker, Paul is a traditional 90s elite mixed bag so my point is even there they aren't all doing exactly the same thing. And again, for me it's ok if Frank isn't a top 4 option. Hes a setup your star type of player who'll make things tough on other teams primary option Pgs......and I've seen it in action already.

He just gotta not score 2 pts while doing it lol
maxinquaye11

^ in short, exactly like defensive gnat but passive 3pointer Prigioni of the 2pg but only younger, taller and more athletic. Like what you asked for before if ever you're going to consider playing a 2PG.

Prigioni is indeed a classic no doubt.

NYGM
Likes given: 510

maxinquaye11 wrote:^ in short, exactly like defensive gnat but passive 3pointer Prigioni of the 2pg but only younger, taller and more athletic. Like what you asked for before if ever you're going to consider playing a 2PG.

Prigioni is indeed a classic no doubt.
I don't thinks so.. Frank is working on his offense, being more agressive and attacking the rim more..

Of course he's smart enough to play alongside another guard for sure..

Matter of fact, is his versatility who makes that possible..
maxinquaye11

There you go Naz. Frank not a classic according to NYGM. Perhaps NYGM you're thinking more of rubio who started out passive in scoring the ball but now is being ultra aggresive.

Like I said: younger, taller more athletic version of prigioni which indicates Frank will contribute more stats in all areas than the great job prigioni did for us at his old age but with the same playstyle and demeanor.
Last edited by maxinquaye11 on October 6th, 2018, 6:47 pm, edited 6 times in total.

taowave
Likes given: 848

Fiz is bringing Clyde into the fold to help with the PG's,and I can't think of a better mentor than Clyde..

Clyde was far from elite athlete,never even saw him dunk,but he was a great defender who controlled the offense and could take over when necessary..Check his game 7 against the Lakers of in doubt

I could see Clyde really helping Frank
big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

taowave wrote:Fiz is bringing Clyde into the fold to help with the PG's,and I can't think of a better mentor than Clyde..

Clyde was far from elite athlete,never even saw him dunk,but he was a great defender who controlled the offense and could take over when necessary..Check his game 7 against the Lakers of in doubt

I could see Clyde really helping Frank
Clyde was also an aggressive scorer as far as I recall the history books.........he wasn't just the "great floor general" that we all remembered, he was literally regarded as an ELITE GUARD during the 70s.

Clyde can rub off some of that knowledge and confidence into Frank........but I don't think Frank will have the same tenacity offensively as Clyde, who was basically the 70s equivalent of Russ. Westbrook (without the ballhogging mindset) in terms of scoring when talking to some other NBA OG fans outside of this forum.
Last edited by big_j_NY on October 6th, 2018, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxinquaye11

Right on Big J! I was about to type and say.
Last edited by maxinquaye11 on October 6th, 2018, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

big_j_NY
Likes given: 1127

maxinquaye11 wrote:Right on Big J! I was about to say
Yeah........but I'm not siding with your analysis either.

The Prigs/Felton backcourt nonsense is bullocks.........especially since Felton was nothing more of a flash-in-the-pan at the end of the day. He literally couldn't average more than 5 assists AFTER he was no longer being coached to D'Antoni where he peaked at 9 assists a game. Felton is the biggest violator of them all, and I believe Burke can overcome the low IQ mindset that Felton ruined the Knicks for his entire career.
maxinquaye11

^ if its just felton then you're right. However, im not talking about felton, im talking about felton with prigioni hence the burke with ntilikina suggestion. The similarities in dynamics are undeniable and no doubt they will contribute more just by being faster, younger and yes smarter than felt-prigs.

Bullocks to me is believing and forcing the triangle in today's NBA. We know how that went.
Last edited by maxinquaye11 on October 6th, 2018, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxinquaye11

It's really surprising that NY proven GM ( remember fringe reserve O'quinn vs DPOY proven Joke I am?) is this invested early on in ntilikina who has not proven anything yet except that he is more a t ease and plays better with another ball handler. Why wouldnt he play better when he did so playing off guard at stratsbourg where he came from?

Dont take me wrong though NY. It is good to see you investing your chips and taking risk on someone new rather than sitting back and waiting until he has won an award or something.
Where is the fun in that? Will your Ntilikina fulfill his potential or will he just be another passive but sexy defender like shump? Exciting isn't it

Which reminds me, where in the world is draft pick Mudiay fan knicksSouthFL?!? He should be elated now that his mudiay is a knick back up, or not.

taowave

He was definitely elite,but wasn't an aggressive scorer.Clyde was the King of cool,and was really smooth..if you get a chance,check out a book called Rocking Steady,A guide to basketball and cool.It was Frazier's book ...

Frazier and Joe Namath owned NY back then

big_j_NY wrote:
Clyde was also an aggressive scorer as far as I recall the history books.........he wasn't just the "great floor general" that we all remembered, he was literally regarded as an ELITE GUARD during the 70s.

Clyde can rub off some of that knowledge and confidence into Frank........but I don't think Frank will have the same tenacity offensively as Clyde, who was basically the 70s equivalent of Russ. Westbrook (without the ballhogging mindset) in terms of scoring when talking to some other NBA OG fans outside of this forum.
nazrmohamed
Likes given: 258

Clyde could score but I definitely feel like he scored in the flow of the game and when he had to. When the team needed him to take over he could but I guess hed be perfect personal mentor to Frank.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

I looked at Clyde as an incredibly smart, opportunistic guard, took advantage when he saw fit, had a strategy on how to play. His style was never overly aggressive, always sizing up the opponent, had a lot of versatility and a wide set of skills that he could apply, chose the right type of shot for the situation. He is absolutely the right guy to get in Nikki's head.
taowave

Clyde was a "quiet" 20-7 and seven guy.
Played completely within the offense and played what appeared to be effortless.He was the anti Westbrook,but just as effective..Jos demeanor is similar to Frank,with a bit more confidence..
maxinquaye11

Clyde averaged 20+ points in his prime. Wow

Don Che
Likes given: 9

I dont care where you view frank position wise. I just want multiple playmakers on the floor.

Romeo Grimes Reddish

sucks because the PG class isnt too strong but we need complete talent on the perimeter...any position

oh and Clyde was a stud...he should watch film with him and mudiay
maxinquaye11

Bill Bradley on Monroe and Frazier playing together:
“People said that you have to have two basketballs, you are going to have Frazier and Monroe in the backcourt, which just wasn’t true.  These guys were unselfish and they knew that if they played together they could win, that was the important thing.”

It says that monroe was the one who adjusted his game

Don Che
Likes given: 9

I'm not sure what the point was of this lol
maxinquaye11 wrote:Bill Bradley on Monroe and Frazier playing together:
“People said that you have to have two basketballs, you are going to have Frazier and Monroe in the backcourt, which just wasn’t true. These guys were unselfish and they knew that if they played together they could win, that was the important thing.”