Preseason Game 3: Pelicans @ MSG Friday 10/5 - 7:30 PM ET

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

Boston_PuppyDawg
Likes given: 0

rebound wrote:3-0... playoffs.
pels probably the best team the knicks have faced so far since wall didnt play much.
and each of our bigmen almost had triple doubles against one of the best bigmen in the league
Calderon: "It’s no fun when you try to win for the Knicks and people want you out of the Knicks.” (2/18/16)
NYGM
Likes given: 520

What happened?
rebound
Likes given: 1166

NYGM wrote:What happened?

mudiay started and generally stunk.
enes carried the team.
tim was hot in the 1st half but chucked a bit to end with a low fg%
lance had some nice drives to the hoop
frank was empty on offense but played good defense
mitch was injured
knox was steady but missed shots
trier was locked up tonight by the pels defenders.
trey was pretty silent off the bench
mario was pretty silent but seemed more involved than last game.
vonleh had a major impact in minimal minutes
kornet and hicks are not nba players
baker and dotson are nba players but 3rd stringers
TOM THIBODEAU'S NEW YORK KNICKS PRESENT:
HEROBALL. A STORY OF THE MID RANGE FADEAWAY JUMPER.
STARRING JALEN BUMSON AND DUBIOUS HANDLES.
NYGM

Thanks rebound..

And Fiz is 3-0 with this roster..
NYGM

I guess Vonhle is going hard for that guaranteed contract!
Starbury3

I would say that I noticed Frank seeming much more confident out there and patient. He was a bit quiet offensively, yes, but he was patient with the ball and found the open man nicely. He's showing some more aggressiveness in his handles and taking the open shot (although he was blocked a few times). All good things
spree#8
Likes given: 558

Not everything is gold so far (especially on offense), but we see a lot of what Fizdale wants: great energy, great intensity on defense (our defensive rating is at 90.6 after three games) and a very high pace (113.89 until now).

His starting line-up has won their part in all three games, which is something to build on. Having Mudiay in a winning group might help his confidence, although he still looked a bit lost out there, so I don't see Fiz sticking with him as a starter. Lance Thomas had a very good game. Hardaway had a great first half on both ends, went cold on offense in the shorter stint in the second. 21/5/5 in 26 minutes is a nice line for him to build on though. Kanter is in tip top shape running with the guys and looks ready. Defensive schemes around him work so far, so he should have a big year. Overall I see a very likable group out there. Hopefully Courtney Lee can join in shortly, he should give the young team another solid veteran.

Would like to see Ntilikina, Hardaway, Knox, Hezonja and Kanter get more time together in one of the remaining pre-season games (maybe even as a starting five to test out, in case Fiz wants to see Ntilikina and Hezonja as starters before the season begins). I also hope to see Burke explode in one of the last two pre-season games, so he goes into the season with high confidence.
#knickstape
maxinquaye11
Likes given: 7

Fizdale said before the game: “Trey’s played great. Trey and I talked today. He’s been fantastic and everything and he also wants to get Emmanuel going. So his unselfish mentoring, understanding how he can help a guy, he’s been great with that.’’

--------

But with Ntilikina’s 7-foot wingspan, Fizdale doesn’t seem to believe putting him at the point is in the team’s best interest.

“I trust him. I do trust him. I just think that he brings so much value with his length and his size, and the fact that he can play some point,” Fizdale said. “It’s nice to have him out there with multiple handlers because I can put him on a 3 and feel very comfortable with that, and that’s just a luxury to me.”

" Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
thewatcher
Likes given: 2727

Yeah max Iv'e been saying that, Nilli looks so at ease playing the three, I'm not against a trial run of seeing him starting at the one next game, but s what happens when the play breaks down and there are 8 seconds left on the clock, that's why I like burke starting and trier backing him up, they take care of this moment which will come up frequently against tough defenses. (and all the time in the playoffs)Nilli has quietly gotten much better, he's definitely one of my favorite Knicks. He's already way bigger than Tim. I think Fiz is doing a fantastic job!! Mario had a very good, quiet game. His shoots the long ball effortlessly. He's a worthy project for sure.

And also what Spree said, you put good, defenders around Kanter, he's going to get you crazy rebound numbers and help your team, I just bet my friend 100 $ the Knicks make the playoffs, that's how confident I am. 8-)

And even though Trier didn't have a good game, just like I said, the Garden is poised to erupt for this kid, he has an electricity to him; it's just there. :drunk:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
taowave
Likes given: 850

You bet your friend 100 bucks the Knicks make the playoffs??

You are a good friend :)
NYGM

So far Frank is a guard.. He's playing the role that no other guard can play since he's the only one who can play plus defense..

This team needs Frank defense on the ball handlers, not running through screens chasing guys.. But again, who's going to take that challenge? Burke? Trier? THJ? Mudiay? You feel me?..

I'm not worried about plays breaking down with 8 seconds since we're not a good team and Burke and Trier are not going to be taking those shots when we get to be a playoff team..

If you are baking on Burke or Trier to get those "broken plays shots" so we're a for sure lottery team..
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 170

Most impressed by Thomas in this game. Will 2016-Lance be back?

Kanter is a beast and now he also provides assists? what?

Vonleh looks very motivated; I hope he keeps it up once he gets the contract
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
thewatcher

taowave wrote:You bet your friend 100 bucks the Knicks make the playoffs??

You are a good friend :)
are you the nykfp tank commander this year? :thumbsup:Image
Last edited by thewatcher on October 6th, 2018, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
thewatcher

NYGM wrote:So far Frank is a guard.. He's playing the role that no other guard can play since he's the only one who can play plus defense..

This team needs Frank defense on the ball handlers, not running through screens chasing guys.. But again, who's going to take that challenge? Burke? Trier? THJ? Mudiay? You feel me?..

I'm not worried about plays breaking down with 8 seconds since we're not a good team and Burke and Trier are not going to be taking those shots when we get to be a playoff team..

If you are baking on Burke or Trier to get those "broken plays shots" so we're a for sure lottery team..
I think Frank's best spot will be SG; and, before you jump down mt throat NYGM that's EXACTLY WHAT WALT 'CLYDE' FRAISER said ; you've heard of "Clyde" right? :LOL: and if you think Burke and Trier will lead us to the lottery, there is an open spot in Tao's Tank. :welcome:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
cragganmor
Likes given: 96

Kinda think the labels are moot in Fiz's system. He's a guard and has the versatility to guard 3 positions. On offense, he'll do a bit of everything.
KRL

It's only three pre-season games but you have to be encouraged:

- The offense has been efficient, playing at a faster pace and scoring at a high rate without
a lot of 3's

- The defense seems to have a plan, is playing better on the perimeter and getting more
deflections/steals

- Knox, Robinson and Trier have continued the good play they showed in the Summer League

- And the biggest thing to me is not once have I thought "when is Porzingis coming back
because this team can't function without him"
NewlyKnicked
Likes given: 170

KRL wrote:It's only three pre-season games but you have to be encouraged:

- The offense has been efficient, playing at a faster pace and scoring at a high rate without
a lot of 3's

- The defense seems to have a plan, is playing better on the perimeter and getting more
deflections/steals

- Knox, Robinson and Trier have continued the good play they showed in the Summer League

- And the biggest thing to me is not once have I thought "when is Porzingis coming back
because this team can't function without him"
:thumbsup:
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2020 Co-NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
2021 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
cragganmor
Likes given: 96

Agree. Fiz is building a foundation of effort, trust, opportunity. When KP is ready he can fit right in. Also fits in with FA plan this summer to land that missing piece.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

Figuring out the back court is really the biggest thing for me. I'm ok with Knox/Lance/Kanter for a while with Mitch/Vonleh/Mario backing them up.

but I really do think the starting 5 needs to have someone that defends on the perimeter and focuses on getting others involved.

Burke/Tim/Knox/Kanter all mainly finish compared to their positions.

Burke has shown he can pass though so I'll give him benefit of the doubt.

and as for back ups...Trier has shown hes a player there...Baker has shown good defense/high IQ/ once he hits open 3's which he has hit so far this season I'm good with those 2 and Tim being alongside them.

and this really isnt a hate on Tim...I just think Tim will get better shots off the bench ...and having Frank and Lance in the starting 5 it will allow Burke/Knox to really impose themselves.

Frank looks better on defense than last year which is scary.....if he's not our PG of the future..thats fine but I still want him to be All Defense...and the only way to do that is by starting him and let him harrass everyone like he always does. Having a 19/20 year old all defensive guard has value no issues with Frank being our Avery Bradley with some PG skills...Especially when you have Mitch looming to make an impact on that side of the floor.
NYGM

thewatcher wrote: I think Frank's best spot will be SG; and, before you jump down mt throat NYGM that's EXACTLY WHAT WALT 'CLYDE' FRAISER said ; you've heard of "Clyde" right? :LOL: and if you think Burke and Trier will lead us to the lottery, there is an open spot in Tao's Tank. :welcome:
Clyde has his own opinion.. His only argument is about Frank not being able to "break down the defense" yet..

Not saying Burke and Trier are going to lead us anywhere.. But I'm not counting on them to take shots late in the possession and to close out games.. At least not if you want to be a playoff team..

Frank may not be your typical scoring PG (the trend right now).. But he could be his own PG..

He also could grown 6'7 or 6'8 and being a SG or just a guard..

What I don't understand is why we're talking about not giving him a chance because less impactful players like Burke and Trier need to chuck some shots..

I can see Frank getting a lot off time in crunch time when we become a playoff team.. He's already showing his improvement, but on defense and overall impact he can play with a playoff team..
Last edited by NYGM on October 6th, 2018, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.