Knicks ‘Shocked’ and Buzzing after Surprise Patrick Ewing Speech

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Knicks ‘Shocked’ and Buzzing after Surprise Patrick Ewing Speech

Postby StevoStarks » October 2, 2018, 2:27 pm

We've talked about it for years. Whether it's true or not, we can't pretend the mystical powers of the Patrick Ewing trade aren't somehow affecting the Knicks' ability to move forward.

Well, Fiz took the first step towards removing the curse by bringing in Ewing for a pregame speech to speak to the young Knick team. What a fucking bad ass. There's so much to love about this. And he plans to bring other former NY legends in to speak with the team.

WASHINGTON — The Knicks received a big surprise upon their 10 a.m. arrival at Capital One Arena for Monday’s morning shootaround ahead of their preseason opener against the Wizards.

There was Patrick Ewing, who made the short drive from Georgetown. The Hoyas head coach/Knicks legend delivered a 10-minute speech that had Knicks center Enes Kanter ecstatic, rookie Mitchell Robinson enlightened and new coach David Fizdale happy he made the call.

“Everybody was shocked and clapping,” Kanter said.

Fizdale worked with Ewing’s former coach, Pat Riley, in Miami, but had known “the Big Fella” even before that, 15 years ago, when on Atlanta’s staff with Larry Drew, a Ewing compadre.

The Knicks coach called Ewing over the weekend for a favor and wants him to be connected with this squad going forward, calling the moment “unbelievable’’ and adding, “I want him to be actively engaged in what we’re doing.”

“He really talked to the guys about the special moment they’re in to wear that jersey,’’ Fizdale said before the preseason opener. “He’s the greatest Knick when you look at his numbers and All-Star games. It was just an honor. He really spoke to them on a level — like a college coach. And he didn’t make it about himself but all of them, together. What it means to be a Knick.

“Think about a kid like Mitchell Robinson. If he gets to spend any time with Patrick Ewing, it’s a plus for us. Whether it’s off-the-court stuff, NYC, or the big-man position. Enes [Kanter] was glowing today. He knows his history.”

Robinson, the Knicks’ raw rookie center who was 4 years old when Ewing retired in 2002, admitted he’s never seen highlights of the former Naismith College Player of the Year, but knew his name as a former “great player.”

“Him being a legend here, I hope I get a chance to talk to him,” Robinson said. “I know he was a great player. He can help me on the block a lot and defensively.”

Kanter was impressed by Ewing’s oratorical skills.

“A very good talker,” Kanter said. “You don’t see centers talk like that.”

The 26-year-old Turkish big man believes Ewing’s talk can serve as a motivator, instill Knick pride and explain what gets Knicks fans going — hard work.

“The greatest Knick ever, one of the best to ever play the game,’’ Kanter said. “We can learn a lot from him. I just talked to the guy a little bit. Seeing a guy like that gives you so much motivation. It was a very good surprise.”

Ewing’s low-post greatness is a lost art in the pace-and-space NBA. But Kanter is a disciple.

“You don’t see back-to-the-basket plays,” Kanter said. “I can learn a lot from him. It would be nice to talk to him during the season. He can help me a lot. Not just me. Everybody and not just basketball stuff. How hard we need to play, what New York wants from us. It doesn’t matter if you’re young. Play your hardest. That was one thing he was talking about — just go out there and give your everything.”

Former Knicks head coaches haven’t been able to utilize Ewing because he served elsewhere as a longtime NBA assistant. As he begins his second season at Georgetown, Ewing can be more accessible.

Fizdale plans on digging deep into Knicks history, saying he wants Louisiana resident Willis Reed to talk to the team when the Knicks descend on New Orleans in November. He also mentioned having Knicks alumni staffers Larry Johnson and John Starks be more involved and broadcaster Walt Frazier, too.

Asked about Charles Oakley, who is banned from the Garden amid a feud with owner James Dolan, Fizdale said: “I don’t know. I’ll try to take care of the ones I can right now.”

https://nypost.com/2018/10/01/knicks-shocked-and-buzzing-after-surprise-patrick-ewing-speech/
"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
- Dr. Seuss

"Woody was the perfect coach for these mutts."
- taowave

"Is he REALLY injured?? A part of me doesnt believe that he is and I think he's just being a bitch. Bitch-nani."
- rynyk222
StevoStarks
Writer

Re: Knicks ‘Shocked’ and Buzzing after Surprise Patrick Ewing Speech

Postby thewatcher » October 2, 2018, 2:36 pm

Love it Stevo!! jeez, it's taken so long... :clap:
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
thewatcher

Postby shakespeare » October 2, 2018, 4:03 pm

Much respect for Patrick Ewing, the Greatest Knickerbocker ever.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby maxinquaye11 » October 3, 2018, 10:42 am

Bring frazier and monroe next-- knicks rollsroyce 2pg backcourt
 " Stat at 3 was code for Melo playing in the low post..." - n8 the gr8

"I don't ever wanna hear anyone bash max's 2 pg love again." - H20Knick

"Cant lie, he did play better off the bench." - nazrmohammed
maxinquaye11