Preseason Game 2: Knicks @ Brooklyn 10/3 - 7:30 PM ET

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv

spree#8
Likes given: 547

Why isn't the comp Burke vs. Trier? :? Not sure what THJ has to do with him. Trier is so far playing Burke's envisioned role better than the original. Perfectly suited for the bench though, so in this case we also shouldn't overreact.
Last edited by spree#8 on October 4th, 2018, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
#knickstape
thewatcher
Likes given: 2679

Yeah it's Trier vs Burke and Tim because it's whoever plays best with Frank long-term. Agreed spree because Frank is 2 ND unit.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
The first rule of NYKFP is you don't talk about NYKFP.
Koopa Troopa
Likes given: 0

None of the Knicks PG's are passing though which is the real issue. The team will be disgusting to watch unless Fiz gets them moving the ball.

Triers 20 points meant nothing to me as it didnt help anybody else get a bucket. Hezonja and Knox barely got touches. It was just Burke, Trier, Mudiay taking turns throwing up shots.
thewatcher

He laid it right in Mitch s hand's twice koop.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
Koopa Troopa

thewatcher wrote:He laid it right in Mitch s hand's twice koop.
He only had 1 assist on the night :? 1 assist 5 turnovers and 12 shots in 26 minutes. Eh...

Burke led the team in assists with THREE.

Knox only got touches on offense by grabbing a defensive board and taking it coast to coast. Otherwise he was invisible to our guards. Same with Hezonja, except he wasnt doing what Knox was doing.

What I dont get is why. First game they were running plays, against the Nets it looked like an AAU game.
Last edited by Koopa Troopa on October 4th, 2018, 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Che
Likes given: 9

thewatcher wrote:My nykf team this year:
President of basketball operation: spree
GM's Stevo and cragg
Coach rebound assistant Mr Glassand koop
Scouts Don Che Shakespeare h20 Naz Mr bigand Red. And taowave
haha rebound assistant is hilarous....and I def need a promotion lol jp
Don Che

Koopa Troopa wrote:None of the Knicks PG's are passing though which is the real issue. The team will be disgusting to watch unless Fiz gets them moving the ball.

Triers 20 points meant nothing to me as it didnt help anybody else get a bucket. Hezonja and Knox barely got touches. It was just Burke, Trier, Mudiay taking turns throwing up shots.
i mentioned this as an issue before the year started...i was called crazy

even tho i do think Burke is a solid distributor but the line ups gotta be ironed out and guys get 25-30 mins rather than 15 to 20 and we'll get a flow of who the passers are.

I've seen Burke/Frank/Mudiay pass the ball well in spurts.

theres a chance this gets ironed out and theres a chance it doesnt.
thewatcher

No rebound is head coach Glass and koop his assistant s
I promoted Stevo and cragg because they recognized Trier in SL. I had to demote Tao for the same reason.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
Koopa Troopa

Don Che wrote:
i mentioned this as an issue before the year started...i was called crazy

even tho i do think Burke is a solid distributor but the line ups gotta be ironed out and guys get 25-30 mins rather than 15 to 20 and we'll get a flow of who the passers are.

I've seen Burke/Frank/Mudiay pass the ball well in spurts.

theres a chance this gets ironed out and theres a chance it doesnt.
I hope so. Trier did mention that Fiz gave him the green light after he made a few buckets so its not all on him. And you gotta take what the defense gives you. Still it definitely is concerning. Want to see more movement and more playmaking. Same with THJ as well, he was just looking for his shot rather than getting anyone else involved.

The reason why its bothersome was because of game1. If this Nets game was the first game I could write it off as the first time these guys are playing together. But game 1 was a different team altogether. Surely this comes with the territory of having a young squad, inconsistent play is not unusual. But we gotta be critical if we want to see improvement, and I hope Fiz is doing the same.
Last edited by Koopa Troopa on October 4th, 2018, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Che

yeh its just annoying to see players just not make the right play...knowing the difference btwn a bad shot/solid shot/good shot/great shot.

maybe thats why I love watching Lebron play...and Kidd was my favorite PG after 1990....they just make the right play which is most of the time easier than going to the rim trying to draw the foul over 2 or 3 defenders.
Koopa Troopa

Don Che wrote:yeh its just annoying to see players just not make the right play...knowing the difference btwn a bad shot/solid shot/good shot/great shot.

maybe thats why I love watching Lebron play...and Kidd was my favorite PG after 1990....they just make the right play which is most of the time easier than going to the rim trying to draw the foul over 2 or 3 defenders.
Right. And even in todays league where scoring guards reign supreme, they are also the league leaders in assists. Our point guards are actually the weak point of this team. So having them chuck up shots all day while not passing is not a good look. Knox is who should be getting the most shots. THJ off screens, not off the dribble. Lets get Mario involved. Etc.

Hezonja only got 2 FG attempts in 25 minutes, Knox only 6 FG attempts in 22. Thats on the guards.
Don Che

agreed

Burke attacks but he mainly looks to score. Knox and Tim need guards who get them the ball because they tend to disappear if they arent featured.
thewatcher

We were behind. an undrafted player drops 20 in the first half on a high percentage,we take the lead and some guys are unhappy??? Jeez... I'm not worried, you all will come around.100 percent confident in Fiz. Taking pressure off of 19y old Knox is good.
n8 the gr8 wrote:
NYGM
Likes given: 487

thewatcher wrote:That's a long time away next season, but I'm impressed with Trier's hesitation dribble moves, he just gets to the rim with his right hand, and then has the strength to finish and get fouled. He's 6'5" paired next to Nilikita's 6'7" inches, I'm telling you, the garden will go crazy.

The one thing Frank can't do at PG is break down the d with the clock running down. That's what Alonzo does! Just the PERFECT pairing!! :drunk: The playoffs are happening, and Enes won't be traded, the long trade scenarios on the board won't go anywhere. Mudiay should be assigned to the Gleague for a whole season.
I think no one thought about it.. I like Trier's handles, he's advanced by a SG.. He looks small but alongside Frank? Intrguing to say at least..

It's too early for that but definitely can see it working in the second unit from the start of the season..

I would be more interested in watch the defensive chemistry, that's the key IMO..

That's bwhy it's so difficult with Kanter, we already know I won't work defensively..
taowave
Likes given: 844

Watcher,you will come crawling back to me when the regular season starts,and the hype train gets massively derailed.
Tank is on whether you homers like it or not.. :drunk:
thewatcher wrote:No rebound is head coach Glass and koop his assistant s
I promoted Stevo and cragg because they recognized Trier in SL. I had to demote Tao for the same reason.
taowave

You will do anything for your THj.. :thumbsup:

Trier is a 2,so is Thj..They are both chuckers..

Trey is 6 ft tall and a PG..He does not have the same role as Trier..If Burke wants a starting job in the NBA,he better learn to pass the rock and run a squad..

It's Trier vs ThJ..
spree#8 wrote:Why isn't the comp Burke vs. Trier? :? Not sure what THJ has to do with him. Trier is so far playing Burke's envisioned role better than the original. Perfectly suited for the bench though, so in this case we also shouldn't overreact.
cragganmor
Likes given: 93

thewatcher wrote:Yeah it's Trier vs Burke and Tim because it's whoever plays best with Frank long-term. Agreed spree because Frank is 2 ND unit.
Exactly, watcher. Trier has elements to his game that are way advanced for a rookie. He was on fire last night and will no doubt have stinkers, but his assortment of abilities bode well towards carving out a major role. When it happens, achieves consistency, only hard work and time can tell. The kid has weapons, brings things that are needed on this squad.

Playing those 2 feels like they compliment each other strongly.
NYGM

spree#8 wrote:Why isn't the comp Burke vs. Trier? :? Not sure what THJ has to do with him. Trier is so far playing Burke's envisioned role better than the original. Perfectly suited for the bench though, so in this case we also shouldn't overreact.
Because Trier is a SG..

Burke is perceived as a PG (I think he's a SG in a PG's body)..

So neither of them is a PG IMO..
NYGM

Koopa Troopa wrote:None of the Knicks PG's are passing though which is the real issue. The team will be disgusting to watch unless Fiz gets them moving the ball.

That's not good, but since most people here are terrified of a "timid" PG who shares the ball and let everyone else to be involved that's what they want, right..

One guy handling the ball and trying to brake the defense by himself and passing as his last resort..

There is enough time to work on that, but besides Maxin no one's sees Burke as a floor general and Trier is a SG who was called "Iso Zo" for a reason..
taowave

Burke could be a floor general,and I am fully expecting Fiz to deliver the memo..

Hopefully,Burke will read it