Starting lineup

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Starting lineup

Postby NYGM » October 10, 2018, 8:26 pm

shakespeare wrote:NYGM,

1) Frank is not the best point guard on this roster.
2) Frank is not a great defensive player.
3) 10, 6, and 6 is average.
4) Today’s NBA is filled with scoring-minded point guards.
5) Name all the starting point guards in the league that are slow as molasses and can’t shoot? Take your time.

1) the jury is out.. But he's the only one with a FUTURE ion this team for sure..
2) Yes, he's already a plus defender and great pick and roll defender.
3) 10/6/6 (at 20 y/o) is the best line possible for any PG ok the roster.. Add the good defense and you got a winner.
4) Yes it is, no doubt about it.. And most of them can't play defense, so having a 2 way player at PG will be a plus.
5) Name PG's at 6'6 and still growing into their bodies? He's not slow just bigger but can play defense on those so called faster PG's.

6) Name wich PG on the roster has the better shooting % this preseason.. Take your time..
NYGM

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 8:46 pm

spree#8 wrote:^
Looks fine for me. (The video, not the roster). :LOL:

Then it's my phone. Says this plug in not supported. But assuming everyone can see it now I wonder why more people dont do it as much. I been seeing alot of YouTube links.

Anyway, Frank better get his shit together cuz patience is fleeting around here.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Koopa Troopa » October 10, 2018, 8:52 pm

5) Name PG's at 6'6 and still growing into their bodies? He's not slow just bigger but can play defense on those so called faster PG's.

6) Name wich PG on the roster has the better shooting % this preseason.. Take your time..

Lonzo Ball is almost the same age as Frank, is 6'6, and has everything that Frank lacks.

and next point is.....All of the PG's on the roster are mediocre and pre season FG percentage is irrelevant. Burke and Trier are volume shooters and Mudiay is whatever Mudiay is. Instead of talking about FG percentage, we should talk about how none of these guys can run an offense. Burke has the most promise in that regard and thats still suspect. Will Mudiay ever get it together??? Who knows. Imagine looking at Jason Kidds pre season FG percentage 20 years ago as a reason why a PG shouldnt start. Dude couldnt shoot for most of his career and was still one of the greatest guards of all time.
Koopa Troopa

Postby nazrmohamed » October 10, 2018, 8:59 pm

Don Che wrote:Max, Iman got "healthy" but he wasnt defending like he wasprior to the injury. It was just different. Laterally he was never the same. Vertically he was in time.

Either way on paper they are similar but in real life and watching them they are very different.

Plus at 19 Iman was a back up at GT i think...Frank is potentially starting in the NBA.

Shumpert was way more ferocious of a defender, maybe better on ball. He stayed pretty good on ball. Imams problem was he wasn't really a smart defender. You know Clyde's annoying "see the ball, see your man" references. Shumpert could lock up iso scorers but then miss backdoor plays, cuts and lose guys off of screens.

Frank is different. Wally and Hahn were discussing it that even though he's a good defender he doesnt get nasty. I've seen Frank get beat but guide his man into another defender, predict where the player will go up and block a shot or strip from behind. Hes good at just staying with his man, fighting around screens while keeping his arms extended making it hard for his man to play off the ball too. He better predicts passes and can sorta see where plays should end up and be right there.

Just different types of good defenders. But man, if Shumpert didnt get hurt... :drool:.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby Minkaveli » October 10, 2018, 9:40 pm

No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Minkaveli

Postby Don Che » October 10, 2018, 10:26 pm

i get it

...top 5 pick here we come!
Don Che

Postby Koopa Troopa » October 10, 2018, 10:32 pm

Minkaveli wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-each-nba-starting-lineup-for-opening-night-warriors-lead-way-how-do-lebron-james-lakers-stack-up/

ranked dead last

Damn, looking at that lineup on paper is sad. I'd argue that its better than Sacramento's but who cares. We suck.
Koopa Troopa

Postby big_j_NY » October 11, 2018, 2:18 am

Minkaveli wrote:https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/ranking-each-nba-starting-lineup-for-opening-night-warriors-lead-way-how-do-lebron-james-lakers-stack-up/

ranked dead last

#EmbraceTheTank2019
#EmbraceTheTank2019

#InPorzingisWeTrust

Hassan Whiteside wrote:I'm just tryin...tryin 2 really get my NBA 2K rating up
big_j_NY

Postby NewlyKnicked » October 11, 2018, 5:04 am

only way is up
2017 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition Champion
NewlyKnicked

Postby cragganmor » October 11, 2018, 8:37 am

How far up and for how long? :LOL:

That's the short sightedness of previous regimes. I think we want a program that's more durable leading to titles.
cragganmor

Postby NYGM » October 11, 2018, 9:02 am

ranked dead last

And still manage to end up with more wins than 5 or 5 teams each year..
NYGM

Postby taowave » October 11, 2018, 9:21 am

Not shocking.I don't get the level of enthusiasm that was/is going around this board..

We should suck minus KP,and nothing wrong getting a top 5 pick..We need to find out this year what Trier,Frank,Mitch and Knox can do.

3 games into the pre season and I have given up on Mudiay. Is it just me or does he look like he doesn't give a fuck??

ranked dead last
taowave

Postby NYGM » October 11, 2018, 9:24 am

Koopa Troopa wrote:
Lonzo Ball is almost the same age as Frank, is 6'6, and has everything that Frank lacks.

and next point is.....All of the PG's on the roster are mediocre and pre season FG percentage is irrelevant. Burke and Trier are volume shooters and Mudiay is whatever Mudiay is. Instead of talking about FG percentage, we should talk about how none of these guys can run an offense. Burke has the most promise in that regard and thats still suspect. Will Mudiay ever get it together??? Who knows. Imagine looking at Jason Kidds pre season FG percentage 20 years ago as a reason why a PG shouldnt start. Dude couldnt shoot for most of his career and was still one of the greatest guards of all time.

Lonzo? Really?, Who did lonzo beat to be the PG on the Lakers? No One, the kid looks good but he was given the position since the Lakers invested in him big time.. He's not what you can call a fast PG or a great shooter, never been a good defender, so..

Give Frank 30+ minutes and you'll see his numbers increase..

I just bring the FG% since some guys keep talking about him being bad shooter.. Most rookies struggle with shooting and some just are volume shooters who increase his numbers but have poor efficiency..

Burke is 26, never been a floor general.. Even when he had the had his shot with Utha never avg more than 5ast per game.. The kid runs the P&R well but that's it..

But you got to be serious, if your argument is about Frank not being able to shoot and he's shooting better than the other PG's you got to PLAY HIM!

Not saying Frank is a lock as a PG of the future.. But definitely is the only one of the 3 with a future with the Knicks..
Last edited by NYGM on October 11, 2018, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
NYGM

Postby NYGM » October 11, 2018, 9:28 am

NewlyKnicked wrote:only way is up

That the attitude!
NYGM

Postby nazrmohamed » October 11, 2018, 11:18 am

Nygm, I'd love to call you up but Lonzo, failures and all is just in a way higher tier than Frank is bro. Even as we speak he is worthy of his draft position. His defense at PG ranks amongst the best in the NBA, he made rookie mistakes but is a way craftier passer, he's a great rebounder.

As fast as his shooting percentages they stunk but the difference is he wasn't scared or timid. Just needs to improve his shot selection which is understandable for a rookie. But he got to b.c. the room anytime he wanted to, was a great finisher. He just also took and missed alot of 3s.

His issue was simply about settling down, whereas Frank needs to turn up. The rest is outta his control. Its hard for people to preach patience when your dickhead dad keeps bashing coach and truly ruining his sons career. I've never seen anything like it. But then Lebron shows up and with that comes a win now attitude. And nobody needs to apologize to Ball for that. That's life but I'm just saying, those are the breaks.

He may end up the worst casualty of thier own hype ever.
PHISHER
nazrmohamed

Postby shakespeare » October 11, 2018, 11:45 am

Don Che wrote:
Thats a great question Shakes.

I think how Frank progresses this year will guide me on how I view it. And based on the PG's in this draft..I can easily see Frank play next to them.

I view Frank as a defensive guard atm...I dont think Mudiay nor Burke will be here next year. So if we do draft a PG like:

Darius Garland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcRK9Yfy54o

Ja Morant
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpRw-hIKzKQ

I can see Frank play the 2 next to them. If I'm a PG that is good off the dribble and shoot it well....I'd love to play with Frank. He guards whoever I cant and he allows me to get shots on the ball and off and if Frank gets his shooting tight which I see him progressing in...I can easily see Frank being out Thabo Sefolosha/Avery Bradley type guy but with the ability to hit open jumpers and run a pick and roll at any time...Frank is 6'6 with a 7 foot wingpsan which is comparable to Thabo who is a bit bigger but Thabo was just as much a 3 man than a guard like Frank is.

and while Avery/Thabo/Cooper arent flashy players and arent the guys that carry you to the playoffs but those are the guys that help you win games in the playoffs..and Frank in time can be that guy. Avery really got into his own at 23. Thabo was 22 as a rook..Cooper as well. I dont see a reason why Frank can't bring what those guys bring at EITHER guard spot.

so yeh if we draft a PG...I'm still good with Frank...If we draft a SG that likes to handle like:

Quentin Grimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrsQ-2VOwaE

Killa Cam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IWVYJevEBE

same rules apply for Frank.

This is a great post.

Thanks for replying.
The Porzingis blessing is real.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby shakespeare » October 11, 2018, 11:47 am

NYGM,

If you believe Ntili is a better point guard than Ball, then I really hope Frank lives up to your expectations.

Seriously.

Every basketball outlet listing the Top 100 players in the league have Ball ranked higher than Ntilikina [not ranked, period]. Like, everyone isn’t telling the same lie.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

Postby NYGM » October 11, 2018, 12:03 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:Nygm, I'd love to call you up but Lonzo, failures and all is just in a way higher tier than Frank is bro. Even as we speak he is worthy of his draft position. His defense at PG ranks amongst the best in the NBA, he made rookie mistakes but is a way craftier passer, he's a great rebounder.

As fast as his shooting percentages they stunk but the difference is he wasn't scared or timid. Just needs to improve his shot selection which is understandable for a rookie. But he got to b.c. the room anytime he wanted to, was a great finisher. He just also took and missed alot of 3s.

His issue was simply about settling down, whereas Frank needs to turn up. The rest is outta his control. Its hard for people to preach patience when your dickhead dad keeps bashing coach and truly ruining his sons career. I've never seen anything like it. But then Lebron shows up and with that comes a win now attitude. And nobody needs to apologize to Ball for that. That's life but I'm just saying, those are the breaks.

He may end up the worst casualty of thier own hype ever.

Not going to discuss Lonzo vs Frank and I agree Lonzo is ahead of Frank right now..

Why are people fine with guys playing "not timid" aka tanking a bunch of shots without being able to got them at a decent rate?

Why are Lonzo's shortcomings are treated different than Frank's? Different players man, different situations.. Taking a lot of shots you can't make with that horrible form is not giving me the vibe he's going to be able to be a good shooter anytime soon..

I like Lonzo and I like Frank too..
NYGM

Postby Minkaveli » October 11, 2018, 12:06 pm

Not sure if our starting line up could beat the Seattle Storm right now but it's about embracing the tank and building talent. That's why I didn't get league pass this year. I'll check Youtube highlights. Going to be a rough season. Sporting News has us projected to be 14th in the eastern conference. I'm ready for failure.
No longer sick and tired that Kurt wasn't hired.
Minkaveli

Postby shakespeare » October 11, 2018, 12:15 pm

Minkaveli wrote:I'm ready for a top 3 pick in next year’s NBA Draft.

Corrected.
#TeamTank
shakespeare
Writer

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks