Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Discuss New York Knicks news, current events, players, and history.

Moderators: wallace044, rtn393, Irv, cru77jones

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby Don Che » September 28, 2018, 8:01 pm

nazrmohamed wrote:Wed need plus rebounders at every other position if you put KP at C. And you don't just need defenders, you need at least one dirty defender in that group. Draymond Green type and then sign me up. Doesnt have to be Draymon not does it have to be a PF but somebody on our team needs to develop into a hated NBA player if you want finesse at C.
Somebody who hates making friends but smart enough to manipulate players phychologically. We dont have that yet. Kanter is sorta like that but only applies that offensively. We need that on defense.


I agree....Mitchell can be that guy who actually fits both as a plus rebounder/defender

it's a process to get the pieces but that's how I would go about it.

also depends on the development of Knox and what he becomes
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 3:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby nazrmohamed » September 28, 2018, 10:11 pm

Yeah but if that's the case why put KP at C. The whole point of KP at C is because you wanna run and spread things out. I mean, I like my lineups big but my thing is, at the point you put both KP and Robinson together you might as well just keep KP at PF. You've already lost your speed advantage.
PHISHER
User avatar
nazrmohamed
 
Joined: December 16, 2004, 8:06 pm
Location: Rockland, Ny

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby Don Che » September 28, 2018, 10:49 pm

mitchell and KP can guard either depending on match ups

you love strict positions...but I just dont see that in today's NBA

Mitch can guard either 4 or 5 depending on the situation...hell I can even see him guarding bigger 3's in time.

that's how dynamic I think he is

I also think Mitch will hit open jumpers to space things out by year 2 or 3.

just think of Sheed and Ben...but a 2018 version of it. where wingspan and quick feet take place of brute strength
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 3:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby rebound » September 29, 2018, 5:57 am

celtics started jayson tatum at pf. hornets started marvin williams. sixers started dario saric.

kp is a center. kp and mitch could work because mitch seems nimble enough to guard 4s. kp and kanter would be a disaster, as it was last season before the acl tear.
Team Mills
User avatar
rebound
 
Joined: January 21, 2004, 11:42 pm

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby nazrmohamed » September 29, 2018, 6:35 am

Look guys, I get your positionless basketball but I'm reality it applies to players of a smaller position being able to go small and cover bigger positions.
-2pgs
-a SG now playing some SF
-a strong SF shifting to PF
-a tall PF playing some C

Its not really desirable as a way to play bigger. Now again, I myself like a tall lineup. But why would you take the highly skilled player whose played nothing but PF his whole life and move him to C, just to then take the guy whose played C his whole life and have them swap positions. It just doesn't make sense.

Did Mitchell look nimble? Sure, he's 18 yrs old and hasn't even grown into his body yet. All he's got is his raw athleticism, energy and speed. But he looks like a C dudes. He looks like what DeAndre Jordan probably looked like in his freshman year of college, or Tyson Chandler (remember, Tyson actually played PF alongside Curry). And that's not to say he's got no skills, I'm just saying he's a baby compared to where he'll finish. But he'll finish a C.


But I mean, when you guys wanted KP at C I thought it was to run. Suggesting a C play PF just to force KP to C. Maybe its you guys who are stuck on positions. The position of KP at C. :? I don't get why.
PHISHER
User avatar
nazrmohamed
 
Joined: December 16, 2004, 8:06 pm
Location: Rockland, Ny

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby taowave » September 29, 2018, 7:29 am

This positionless Bball nonsense is strictly hype for the Warriors and Draymond..

Yeah,you can play big or small,but let's not act like Frank's going to play the 5 and Mitch will run the point..

Mitch is a 5,albeit a very athletic one. Like Naz said,he's D Jordan lite now..

Positionless BBall really refers to the front court,not the backcourt .

We don't have a Durant and Green.We don't have multifaceted offense players like those 2 up front. Please stop thinking we do. I get where you guys are coming from.Its about D...Think Phil,Rodman,Michael and Scotty..
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 8:54 pm

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby Don Che » September 29, 2018, 8:54 am

hold on....when did I EVER say Frank was guarding a 5?

I couldnt even read your post at that point. that's just idiotic to assume I even said that.

you guys are complicating a really simple concept ...I cant believe we have a 20 year old big man that's as agile as anyone I've seen at his height and have another 23 year old all star big that was ranked 1 in blocks and protecting the rim and u guys are complaining about what position they are listed at lmao

they are both bigs....and I think they can play together. if you dont ...cool let's wait for 2019 and let's see who's right because nothing about that duo is conclusive until then...its all hear say and how we envision our squad. Not real life yet
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 3:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby NYGM » September 29, 2018, 9:02 am

I agree with Don Che, the key about our young bigs (KP and Mitch) is both being athletic enough to play PF/C depending on the matchup..

Mitch (like KP as a rookie) needs to fill up that body to see how mobile he would be down the road.. I he's going end more light and athletic than powerful then we can play them together..

Positionless to me is about being able to guard different positions without hurting the team..

Players like Trey doesn't fit because they can only guard one position (if any).. But other guys like Draymond, Iggy, LeBron, Durant, Butler, etc give u that flexibility..
User avatar
NYGM
 
Joined: June 10, 2003, 8:03 am
Location: Argentina

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby Don Che » September 29, 2018, 9:17 am

nazrmohamed wrote:Look guys, I get your positionless basketball but I'm reality it applies to players of a smaller position being able to go small and cover bigger positions.
-2pgs
-a SG now playing some SF
-a strong SF shifting to PF
-a tall PF playing some C

Its not really desirable as a way to play bigger. Now again, I myself like a tall lineup. But why would you take the highly skilled player whose played nothing but PF his whole life and move him to C, just to then take the guy whose played C his whole life and have them swap positions. It just doesn't make sense.

Did Mitchell look nimble? Sure, he's 18 yrs old and hasn't even grown into his body yet. All he's got is his raw athleticism, energy and speed. But he looks like a C dudes. He looks like what DeAndre Jordan probably looked like in his freshman year of college, or Tyson Chandler (remember, Tyson actually played PF alongside Curry). And that's not to say he's got no skills, I'm just saying he's a baby compared to where he'll finish. But he'll finish a C.


But I mean, when you guys wanted KP at C I thought it was to run. Suggesting a C play PF just to force KP to C. Maybe its you guys who are stuck on positions. The position of KP at C. :? I don't get why.



what is this an attempt to reverse psychology lol...making things complicated for no reason....Mitch can guard 3 to 5 in time..whichever big that I dont want KP covering...Mitch takes. simple..u act like my thought has never been done..plenty of teams do it..Big Ben guarded shaq and Dirk even some 3's...Dray flips by the day...pippen guarded magic and malone

Magic and Cooper(who is a guy Frank should study) Coop and Scott would guard the 2 better offensive guys and Magic could play safety and get steals playing off the 3rd option which could be a PG on night and a 3 another.

POSITIONLESS BASKETBALL ALWAYS EXISTED it's just based on your talent and playmakers on the floor and from what I see....Mitch and Frank give us great potential with match ups and instead of doing the magic and curry roam for steals rout...KP would roam for blocks even if he guards a 4 on a specific night...he led the league in blocks next to Kanter...WTF u think hes gonna do next to actual defensive talent lol

dont overthink it...the point of getting athletic guys who can guard 3 positions is so you dont overthink it
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 3:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby taowave » September 29, 2018, 10:53 am

Don, Frank was just an example..the position less basketball concept is overblown,and its really thanks to Draymond.

Guys need to play D,and if they switch off,they need to still play D. its as simple as that. Again,the Bulls had 3 guys that could guard multiple positions and shit teams down. Nothing to do with the offense.

Of course KP amd Mitch can play together..Why in the world would they not be able to?

Mitch is a 5.Kp is a 4 who certainl has the ability,but not the desire to play the 5.One guy is good 2 feet and in,the other has no post game and is good from 3.

Neither can pass(not that Mich has to),which is the real issue..




Don Che wrote:hold on....when did I EVER say Frank was guarding a 5?

I couldnt even read your post at that point. that's just idiotic to assume I even said that.

you guys are complicating a really simple concept ...I cant believe we have a 20 year old big man that's as agile as anyone I've seen at his height and have another 23 year old all star big that was ranked 1 in blocks and protecting the rim and u guys are complaining about what position they are listed at lmao

they are both bigs....and I think they can play together. if you dont ...cool let's wait for 2019 and let's see who's right because nothing about that duo is conclusive until then...its all hear say and how we envision our squad. Not real life yet
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 8:54 pm

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby nazrmohamed » September 29, 2018, 11:27 am

It's not overcomplicated. The guy is a C. And nothing he did in preseason showed otherwise. I dont know what you thought you saw. I saw a 7fter who defended the rim and to my happiness was mobile enough to run out to the perimeter.

That doesnt mean he can defend the perimeter, just that if he sees someone in the corner he can run out to contest it. He also got caught in the air a few times but I'm not holding that against hi. But he's a C. I know you guys love talking about what position a player can defend but he wasn't matching forwards step for step, moving with them laterally. He blocked a couple drives at the rim.

But offense matters too and whether or not you can create it or how its created for you. I know exactly what you guys did and when exactly this became your bright idea. They showed a video of him shooting a three pointer in practice and all of a sudden " oh my God this guy can play the 3". You guys do realize all Cs should be able to hit that 3 these days right. It's no longer that rare. But difference is, KP can hit it at a standstill, he hits it coming around screens, hes crossed up players and did it, hes fakes it and then dribbled his way to the rim, hes done a fake-side step- step in and then hit the midrange off glass. Hes just a more elaborate scorer and that's why its be wasted for him to move to C, while a more limited player is there at PF. Now again, you wanna put Knox there ..... and keep in mind I'm only talking about change of pace.......then fine but why put a C at PF just to ensure KP is a C.

You keep saying complicating things. The easiest thing is to keep KP doing what he does best. It sounds like you got more of an agenda than I'd. Status quo is KP at PF. You're the one needing to change things
PHISHER
User avatar
nazrmohamed
 
Joined: December 16, 2004, 8:06 pm
Location: Rockland, Ny

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby taowave » September 29, 2018, 11:47 am

Yeah,Im with you Naz..

Mitch is a 5...Kp is a 4 by choice who could play the 5..

Im not sure what the hell positionless basketball is...

Sure,Knox can play the 4 or 3..

KP 4 or the 5..

Tim,2 or 3...

Frank the 2 and hopefully the 1..

Is that positionless basketball? :?







nazrmohamed wrote:It's not overcomplicated. The guy is a C. And nothing he did in preseason showed otherwise. I dont know what you thought you saw. I saw a 7fter who defended the rim and to my happiness was mobile enough to run out to the perimeter.

That doesnt mean he can defend the perimeter, just that if he sees someone in the corner he can run out to contest it. He also got caught in the air a few times but I'm not holding that against hi. But he's a C. I know you guys love talking about what position a player can defend but he wasn't matching forwards step for step, moving with them laterally. He blocked a couple drives at the rim.

But offense matters too and whether or not you can create it or how its created for you. I know exactly what you guys did and when exactly this became your bright idea. They showed a video of him shooting a three pointer in practice and all of a sudden " oh my God this guy can play the 3". You guys do realize all Cs should be able to hit that 3 these days right. It's no longer that rare. But difference is, KP can hit it at a standstill, he hits it coming around screens, hes crossed up players and did it, hes fakes it and then dribbled his way to the rim, hes done a fake-side step- step in and then hit the midrange off glass. Hes just a more elaborate scorer and that's why its be wasted for him to move to C, while a more limited player is there at PF. Now again, you wanna put Knox there ..... and keep in mind I'm only talking about change of pace.......then fine but why put a C at PF just to ensure KP is a C.

You keep saying complicating things. The easiest thing is to keep KP doing what he does best. It sounds like you got more of an agenda than I'd. Status quo is KP at PF. You're the one needing to change things
taowave
 
Joined: July 7, 2005, 8:54 pm

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 29, 2018, 11:57 am

open practice watch live. https://t.co/1NOWQdIPyv?amp=1
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
User avatar
ISIAH_THOMAS
 
Joined: October 13, 2014, 10:25 pm

Re: Training Camp Thread

Postby nazrmohamed » September 29, 2018, 12:24 pm

ISIAH_THOMAS wrote:open practice watch live. https://t.co/1NOWQdIPyv?amp=1


Thanks for sharing
PHISHER
User avatar
nazrmohamed
 
Joined: December 16, 2004, 8:06 pm
Location: Rockland, Ny

Re: Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Postby Don Che » September 29, 2018, 12:45 pm

if you don't understand dynamic defenders nor see that your only looking at 1/2 the puzzle...I'll drop it. as long as they both start in 2019...I'll wait till then
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 3:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Postby nazrmohamed » September 29, 2018, 1:03 pm

Don Che wrote:if you don't understand dynamic defenders nor see that your only looking at 1/2 the puzzle...I'll drop it. as long as they both start in 2019...I'll wait till then


Don, just so you know I want them both to start too. I'm probably the biggest proponent of a big lineup out there. In addition, I guess I get what you are saying. I want all my players to be flexible and cover other positions on switches and certain plays. He'll I dont even mind for players to be able to move to another position for up to a quarter at a time.

But my starting lineup should be

Pg-Frank
Sg-THJ
Sf-Knox
Pf-KP
C-Mitchell

And they should spend roughly about 75% of thier time doing just that. Why?because that is indeed what they are. Overlap always happens.
PHISHER
User avatar
nazrmohamed
 
Joined: December 16, 2004, 8:06 pm
Location: Rockland, Ny

Re: Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Postby ISIAH_THOMAS » September 29, 2018, 1:09 pm

Frank looks like he hasn't improved

Burke looks like the best PG
TAKE THAT FOR DATA
User avatar
ISIAH_THOMAS
 
Joined: October 13, 2014, 10:25 pm

Re: Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Postby Don Che » September 29, 2018, 1:46 pm

what lineups are you guys seeing out there?
User avatar
Don Che
 
Joined: September 23, 2007, 3:53 pm
Location: Queens

Re: Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Postby H20Knick » September 29, 2018, 2:23 pm

Enes still isnt an active defender but he took mitch too the woodshed repeatedly in that scrimmage. Mitch isnt an impact defender at the C position.. yet
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
User avatar
H20Knick
 
Joined: August 11, 2004, 10:42 pm
Location: nova/dc metro

Re: Training Camp Thread (Open practice live on PG.3)

Postby H20Knick » September 29, 2018, 2:24 pm

Kevin Knox can shoot the rock.

Mudiay and Frank look like they always do... which isn't a compliment lol
Fort Knox. Hard Knox. Knock Knox. It doesn't matter. Hall of Fame in 20.

2018 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
2015 NYKFP Mock Lottery Competition CHAMPION
User avatar
H20Knick
 
Joined: August 11, 2004, 10:42 pm
Location: nova/dc metro

PreviousNext

Return to New York Knicks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], taowave, thewatcher and 11 guests